Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

lmao at people saying nobody tried to rig the election. uhhhh, North Carolina GOP? Wisconsin state government? didn't Michigan also pass some voter ID poo poo?

the GOP is trying to rig all elections while keeping plausible deniability. the question is whether they did anything that the courts/investigators would find was a definite attempt to rig it.

Voter fraud, by and large, isn't a thing. (Or at least it hasn't been. Who the gently caress even knows in these Unmattering Days.)

Voter suppression is very much a thing, and the sort of folks who are not inclined to laugh at Trump's babytantrums these days have been pointing out that alleging widespread fraud/illegal voting is the start of how a lot of the more draconian voter ID/restriction laws got past in the first place. So yeah, expect lots more of that over the next four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Too much DeVos money in Michigan to put up any real fight against the GOP. They peel $10k checks off like toilet paper and the Michigan legislature votes for anything they want.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"Make America Great Again" by systematically returning the vote only to landed white males

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*whistles and kicks "GOP tries to strategically limit Florida voting in hurricane ravaged areas" under the rug*

lol for real how many court orders were there in swing states during early voting telling the GOP they couldn't do whatever ridiculous poll closing they wanted to? There were different ones every single day.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a shameful boehner posted:

can someone explain how a state with a republican governor that oversaw the poisoning of an entire town with lead for marginal budget savings could vote for more republicans

is the answer that lead is in the water everywhere in michigan?

I don't think the people that voted for Trump had their water poisoned.

Also, Flint's been run by democrats for years so there's a "plenty of blame to go around" sentiment even by Flint residents.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's the actual cutoff for winning the EC in a landslide - 400+? Because I don't really consider his win a landslide. Hell, he might not even believe it himself with all of the bitching he is doing, popular vote aside. When I hear landslide I think Reagan, LBJ, etc.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Also, Flint's been run by democrats for years so there's a "plenty of blame to go around" sentiment even by Flint residents.

It's easy to blame Snyder because he made a decision like a cartoon super villain on Captain Planet but there are other factors like a shrunken tax base that make it difficult to get any kind of infrastructure spending going on placing new pipes. Democrats need to be completely honest with people and own up to their own mistakes.

Ragequit posted:

What's the actual cutoff for winning the EC in a landslide - 400+? Because I don't really consider his win a landslide. Hell, he might not even believe it himself with all of the bitching he is doing, popular vote aside. When I hear landslide I think Reagan, LBJ, etc.

the landslide part makes sense if you think of the Republicans controlling all three branches of government. it makes no sense at all if you think about it through the numbers of Trump's own race.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
^^^^^^^^ And even then, it's forgotten pretty often that Republicans actually lost seats in both the house and the Senate. Democrats actually cut into republican control, just not deeply enough to take over.

Ragequit posted:

Yeah it's impossible to have a landslide unless you win both popular and electoral votes.

Not that there's a real meaning to the word landslide, but Trump's win is best described as "on a technicality, a minority administration was given power."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ragequit posted:

with the polarization of the country proceeding it's pretty hard to imagine a landslide of 400+. Obama in 08 got 365 in a super favorable year, which was a bit less than Bill got both times. You have to go back to before the blue wall (that Trump broke) to see anyone over 400, and the last dem to break 400 is lbj against Goldwater.50 years is a long time.

also if you include all the state legislatures and governorships it's s Republican landslide

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

The Nastier Nate posted:

As far as I know, the State government came in and took over years ago, so that the local government had no say in how things were run. That is how Flint ended up in the mess they are in. It was basically the elimination of democracy at a municipal level by the State.

The locals aren't really to blame here because they had no power to stop it from happening.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

~300 EVs combined with a record setting popular vote loss disparity for a win is so far from a landslide that only Trumps people would call it that

Even trump himself seems to realize that a comfortable majority of the country didn't vote for him and that its going to be an issue for him going forward

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

It's easy to blame Snyder because he made a decision like a cartoon super villain on Captain Planet but there are other factors like a shrunken tax base that make it difficult to get any kind of infrastructure spending going on placing new pipes. Democrats need to be completely honest with people and own up to their own mistakes.

We should be doing that exact opposite of that. Reality no longer matters. Honestly if I could hop into the delorean and figure out a way to avert this poo poo show, I'd probably convince Obama I'm from the future and tell him that the only way to stop Trump from being president is to be incredibly on message about how strong the economic recovery is. Sure unemployed people won't believe it, but that's what 4% of the population as of now? Perception is reality and Obama had to undermine every positive development with caution and hedging that people took as an admission things were lovely. Trump could have 10% unemployment and by god he and Fox News would sell the new American prosperity angle so hard, people would believe it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hamelekim posted:

As far as I know, the State government came in and took over years ago, so that the local government had no say in how things were run. That is how Flint ended up in the mess they are in. It was basically the elimination of democracy at a municipal level by the State.

The locals aren't really to blame here because they had no power to stop it from happening.

Yeah but remember: facts literally don't matter.

There are people all over Michigan who blame Flint for being run so poorly that they needed Rick Snyder to dissolve their local governments and install his friends.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

~300 EVs combined with a record setting popular vote loss disparity for a win is so far from a landslide that only Trumps people would call it that

Even trump himself seems to realize that a comfortable majority of the country didn't vote for him and that its going to be an issue for him going forward

ftfy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The problem is that if they do, the GOP will immediately scream (louder) something to the tune of "See?! We told you the Democrats' big government obsession caused this problem! They even admitted it!" and never, ever own up to their own, much more prominent role. Not that that they'd ever do that latter part anyway, of course.

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah Snyder overrode the local government when he appointed one of his emergency managers to Flint, who was the one who had the brainstorm to switch the water supply to a literal river of poison to save a few bucks.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

The current fear amongst the GOP (from what I can gather) is someone in the Trump camp might unironically have been dumb enough to attempt rigging despite Trump winning without. A lot of people are forgetting that even if the numbers add up if there was any attempt by a trump affiliate or the GOP to "rig" anything in any state than all bets are off.

edit: Trump and the GOP's pissing on the heads of blues states which are already upset that their votes didn't matter aren't helping the mood either.

yeah i don't think he rigged anything but i'm still pretty sure he tried, whether that left some actual evidence is up in the air

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've been out for a few days, sorry for missing it.

Just lol if you haven't been constantly refreshing this thread while fuming silently on the living room couch as your relatives talk excitedly about medical voucher systems and being able to register their suppressors.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I think it's going to be an issue. He's going to get goaded on it constantly because it obviously makes him crazy so even if a majority of the people who didn't vote for him wear the hat, which will not happen, he personally will ensure it remains an issue anyway

He is obviously not interested at all in building any bridges so nobody else is going to be either. I know I plan on bringing this up a lot in the future! This and claiming that California is being punished for being so successful as a state so that the failure welfare states get to tell it what to do

Serf
May 5, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I think it's going to be an issue. He's going to get goaded on it constantly because it obviously makes him crazy so even if a majority of the people who didn't vote for him wear the hat, which will not happen, he personally will ensure it remains an issue anyway

He is obviously not interested at all in building any bridges so nobody else is going to be either. I know I plan on bringing this up a lot in the future! This and claiming that California is being punished for being so successful as a state so that the failure welfare states get to tell it what to do

okay, it will totally be an issue for him on a personal level, that's true

it will not be an issue for him on an administrative level. he's gonna run this country like his mandate was 90% of the vote, which it is in his mind

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Venom Snake posted:

If it turned out he didn't rig the vote (or attempt to) then it would be the first time this rule has been broken. My favorite example is how he said Hill was owned by the Saudi's while he made 11 property deals with them over the course of his campaign

He may just be distracting from his actual scandals like he usually does, but TROP has yet to be broken as far as I know. Since he brought it up, I would not be shocked if there were some dirty dealings.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Serf posted:

okay, it will totally be an issue for him on a personal level, that's true

it will not be an issue for him on an administrative level. he's gonna run this country like his mandate was 90% of the vote, which it is in his mind

You know how he spent the whole general election constantly bringing up his primary victory like it was the most amazing thing in all of human history? He's going to be harping on his general election win throughout his entire term, and presumably for the rest of his life, and as well as using it as his chief justification for doing just about anything/everything that wanders through his head.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Serf posted:

no, it'll be an administrative issue, he's going to spend a lot of time making it illegal for Democrats to vote

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

CortezFantastic posted:

He may just be distracting from his actual scandals like he usually does, but TROP has yet to be broken as far as I know. Since he brought it up, I would not be shocked if there were some dirty dealings.

Trump's 11th dimensional chess is the illuminati for liberals. The narrative that the world is 7 billion lovely people trying to muddle forward while things go to poo poo isn't satisfying, so there's got to be a dark cabal responsible for everything untoward in the world just like the fact that a mentally ill man with a child like mind connected with enough voters to be president can't possibly be the world we live in.... something more has to be there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

build the wall - define "wall"
drain the swamp - meet my new bff newt gingrich
i will accept the election results if i win - the popular vote was rigged against me
lock her up - nah
change my hairstyle - didn't do this
because i'll be too busy working - has avoided all work so far
in the white house - will not live in the white house

anyone else have more broken promises to add to The List

Serf
May 5, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know how he spent the whole general election constantly bringing up his primary victory like it was the most amazing thing in all of human history? He's going to be harping on his general election win throughout his entire term, and presumably for the rest of his life, and as well as using it as his chief justification for doing just about anything/everything that wanders through his head.

exactly

pseudorandom name posted:

no, it'll be an administrative issue, he's going to spend a lot of time making it illegal for Democrats to vote

that'll be Pence's job. Trump is gonna be on a nonstop 50-state victory tour. when he finishes all 50 states he'll gloat in every nation that will let him and then he'll come back for victory tour round 2

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

deathbysnusnu posted:

Trump's 11th dimensional chess is the illuminati for liberals. The narrative that the world is 7 billion lovely people trying to muddle forward while things go to poo poo isn't satisfying, so there's got to be a dark cabal responsible for everything untoward in the world just like the fact that a mentally ill man with a child like mind connected with enough voters to be president can't possibly be the world we live in.... something more has to be there.

i think the "distracting from his scandals" thing does have some merit, but he's also Donald Trump so he gets way too into it and it becomes the most important thing, because he's a compulsive liar who believes his own lies.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Trumps not smart enough to try and rig anything without getting caught, but I'm sure he got an earful about the state level efforts and his knowledge of them and how they work is TROP enough for me.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/king-bannon-prefer-property-owners-vote-article-1.2889868

quote:

Now, though, a former Bannon colleague, Julia Jones, who worked alongside him as a partner on a Ronald Reagan film project, revealed to The New York Times that he not only spoke on issues of “genetic superiority,” but that he “once mused about the desirability of limiting the vote to property owners.”

When Jones offered the rebuttal that such a plan “would exclude a lot of African-Americans,” Bannon allegedly quipped back in return that “maybe that’s not such a bad thing.”

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

deathbysnusnu posted:

what

He literally just accuses people of what he himself has done. This isn't a hard concept to grasp, especially when there is historical references to the same strategy. Goebbels loving did it.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Yinlock posted:

anyone else have more broken promises to add to The List

he promised to stop coming into ivanka's room at night and sitting in the corner like a weirdo

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

deathbysnusnu posted:

We should be doing that exact opposite of that. Reality no longer matters. Honestly if I could hop into the delorean and figure out a way to avert this poo poo show, I'd probably convince Obama I'm from the future and tell him that the only way to stop Trump from being president is to be incredibly on message about how strong the economic recovery is. Sure unemployed people won't believe it, but that's what 4% of the population as of now? Perception is reality and Obama had to undermine every positive development with caution and hedging that people took as an admission things were lovely. Trump could have 10% unemployment and by god he and Fox News would sell the new American prosperity angle so hard, people would believe it.

so you say reality doesn't matter, then would get Obama to push the reality of an economic recovery that left some people behind more?

what the dems should do is run a campaign that is basically

"wow, we really hosed up last time nominating Clinton, huh? she was pretty terrible. we hosed up when we didn't push for more worker protection, long live the working class and labor unions. gently caress the Clintons, they are out of the picture, now let's all work together to fight Trump who is really loving us all right now."

it worked for Jack in the Box when they gave a bunch of kids food poisoning and it worked for Domino's when they realized their food was complete garbage.

I'm not saying the Dems say everything is terrible and it is their fault, I'm saying go out and be honest about the Republicans being loving assholes that are trying to rig elections in their favor. and admit the Clinton years were mistakes and we're going back to our history of FDR and LBJ and all those cool old Democrats who completely shaped the world we live in.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

That sounds like a lot of work, boring! Now, signing any/all GOP-backed bills to reach his desk which by complete coincidence make it virtually impossible for those people to vote without jumping through numerous hoops, that he'll do. Presuming he doesn't have a building to open or starlet to grope during that time slot, of course.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

he promised to stop coming into ivanka's room at night and sitting in the corner like a weirdo

i meant election promises, not promises he makes weekly to his family

Serf
May 5, 2011

but you see he's not a Nazi because

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so you say reality doesn't matter, then would get Obama to push the reality of an economic recovery that left some people behind more?

what the dems should do is run a campaign that is basically

"wow, we really hosed up last time nominating Clinton, huh? she was pretty terrible. we hosed up when we didn't push for more worker protection, long live the working class and labor unions. gently caress the Clintons, they are out of the picture, now let's all work together to fight Trump who is really loving us all right now."

it worked for Jack in the Box when they gave a bunch of kids food poisoning and it worked for Domino's when they realized their food was complete garbage.

I'm not saying the Dems say everything is terrible and it is their fault, I'm saying go out and be honest about the Republicans being loving assholes that are trying to rig elections in their favor. and admit the Clinton years were mistakes and we're going back to our history of FDR and LBJ and all those cool old Democrats who completely shaped the world we live in.

i'm not sure why so much democrat fanfiction starts with "immediately destroy the clintons"

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Epic High Five posted:

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/803336493469204481

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

deathbysnusnu posted:

the real thing to fear is that no one in power has any clue what's happening and we're all just flying blind

i wish there were a dark cabal, it would give some comfort that even they might not let things get too bad out of self-interest

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Yeah, the Trump admin is going to try and make it so that non-white people can't vote, basically.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ryanbeckwith/status/803322175914737664

• Locked thread