Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
If only there was some kind of inclusive mobilization strategy that focused on all states, like some kind of 50 state strategy. Sure, you'll lose most the states you try and reach out to, but you'll get great coverage and you'll genuinely look like you're trying to talk to the whole nation.

Hmmmmmm.

Nah, gently caress it. Wisconsin will always be blue.

Edit:

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Man I don't know. I think she was super garbo as a candidate but I don't think they could possibly be stupid enough to support her in 2020 after this fiasco. Losing a primary is one thing. Losing an election to Donald loving Trump is another entirely.

She lost a primary despite having every possible advantage you can dream of other than a dick.

If anything 2008 was a much much more humiliating loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mugrim posted:

It will absolutely "Do poo poo".

If this election isn't hung around HRCs neck, then we'll risk her running again in 2020. If this sounds like a joke to you, understand the idea of her running in 2016 was considered a loving joke too (in 2008 "She lost to a black dude with a muslim name despite having more name recogntions, more money, and more institutional support, how the gently caress could she win a general"), and several higher ups in the DNC wanted her to run in 20 loving 12.

People need to be outraged and make her own the fact she's a lovely politician who doesn't know what she's doing, and she gave the keys to the kingdom to Donald Trump. It's hyper important to keep the blame on her.

i disagree, i think the best way to get rid of the clintons is to forget about them and stop paying attention to them, lest all the built up salt gets people confused like "wow a lot of people are talking about hillary clinton still!!!" when the time rolls around again

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mugrim posted:

If this election isn't hung around HRCs neck, then we'll risk her running again in 2020. If this sounds like a joke to you, understand the idea of her running in 2016 was considered a loving joke too (in 2008 "She lost to a black dude with a muslim name despite having more name recogntions, more money, and more institutional support, how the gently caress could she win a general"), and several higher ups in the DNC wanted her to run in 20 loving 12.

People need to be outraged and make her own the fact she's a lovely politician who doesn't know what she's doing, and she gave the keys to the kingdom to Donald Trump. It's hyper important to keep the blame on her.

:chloe:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

To be fair AZ was closer than PA in raw votes, wasn't it?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

mugrim posted:

She lost a primary despite having every possible advantage you can dream of other than a dick.

If anything 2008 was a much much more humiliating loss.

oh i totally disagree. This victory is one that she should have had in the bag and she still managed to gently caress it up.

Obama was a once in a lifetime candidate who came out of loving nowhere. Donald Trump was a clown with decades of dirt who can barely string sentences together.

I honestly think we've mostly seen the last of her other than the occasional sighting in the wild, like bigfoot or the chupacabra.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i remember in the early days of 2015 when people were running from door to door looking for a democratic candidate because there was absolutely no one

utter madness

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mugrim posted:

I think you and I remember 2008 differently. To me it was clear that her appointment to SoS was to keep her in Washington and political active and to keep her bona fides shored up in clear anticipation to try again 2016.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't think it was unreasonable to expect some kind of Hillary run in '16 considering Obama made her Sec of State. If he hadn't, I don't think this election would have been the same at all. Clinton might have had a different dynamic being outside his administration away from the eventual Republican Congress.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

zegermans posted:

I think you and I remember 2008 differently. To me it was clear that her appointment to SoS was to keep her in Washington and political active and to keep her bona fides shored up in clear anticipation to try again 2016.

Oh totally.

That didn't mean people were assuming she'd not do it though.

Politically she was seen as a massive failure and she simply didn't know how to campaign. I was working that campaign, no one thought she'd get over that hurdle or want to donate money to someone who blew a ton on a primary and still lost.

She would definitely run, but the idea of the institution unilaterally lining up behind her seemed questionable at best. By 2016 people figured Bill would be out of the public eye so long it wouldn't matter what his cache was.

She pissed off tons of donors by losing what was a sure thing.

It's why I have zero faith that she will refuse to run in 2020 and that the DNC won't be 100% behind her.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
It's sad we can't even look forward to a cool photo like this because she doesn't even drive a car. :(

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
A thread that isn't allowed to "relitigate" this year's primary is about to do it to 2008's primary, lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

A thread that isn't allowed to "relitigate" this year's primary is about to do it to 2008's primary, lol

interesting word choice that cannot be found anywhere in the forum rules

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mugrim posted:

Oh totally.

That didn't mean people were assuming she'd not do it though.

Politically she was seen as a massive failure and she simply didn't know how to campaign. I was working that campaign, no one thought she'd get over that hurdle or want to donate money to someone who blew a ton on a primary and still lost.

She would definitely run, but the idea of the institution unilaterally lining up behind her seemed questionable at best. By 2016 people figured Bill would be out of the public eye so long it wouldn't matter what his cache was.

She pissed off tons of donors by losing what was a sure thing.

It's why I have zero faith that she will refuse to run in 2020 and that the DNC won't be 100% behind her.

its one thing to lose to obama in a primary and kinda bow down and get your poo poo together and run in a clear field. that's definitely one thing.

but losing to donald trump is such political poison that if she actually runs in 2020, literally any other candidate will sweep her out of the way.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

logikv9 posted:

interesting word choice that cannot be found anywhere in the forum rules

From the OP:

quote:

IK Note: Please no excessive slapfighting about the primaries. No coulda, woulda, shoulda talk over it. You can analyze what should have been improved on for future primary fields.
However, I'm not doing cuolda, woulda, shoulda, I'm citing evidence that the idea of her not running in 2020 is not a sure thing.

anime was right posted:

its one thing to lose to obama in a primary and kinda bow down and get your poo poo together and run in a clear field. that's definitely one thing.

but losing to donald trump is such political poison that if she actually runs in 2020, literally any other candidate will sweep her out of the way.

Oh I agree they're not totally linear, but if the narrative becomes "She just lost because of RACISTS and SEXISTS" and the blame isn't put on her, that political poison won't last 4 years.

mugrim has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Nov 28, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You can talk about any primary. It's been clamped down on because nobody can prevent themselves from making silly attacks of other posters regarding it. You don't even have to name posters anymore, attacks are just made, and it's insufferable.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mugrim posted:

From the OP:

However, I'm not doing cuolda, woulda, shoulda, I'm citing evidence that the idea of her not running in 2020 is not a sure thing.

i haven't said anything that implies you've done anything of the sort

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what i am saying is that hamster dance is a moron

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
You seem really defensive for such an offhand comment lol

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

logikv9 posted:

i haven't said anything that implies you've done anything of the sort

Oh I was addressing Hamster right then.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

You seem really defensive for such an offhand comment lol

http://i.imgur.com/ZbE4WNJ.gifv

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im fuckin steamin that the rules only apply to bad posters making bad posts

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mugrim posted:

Oh I agree they're not totally linear, but if the narrative becomes "She just lost because of RACISTS and SEXISTS" and the blame isn't put on her, that political poison won't last 4 years.

the former being hysterical because obama won. twice.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Means testing is not great, so I still think BI will win out over GMI. But I honestly don't see how we don't do one of them eventually if things keep going the way they are...

What's BI? I thought GMI was the idea that everyone got money.

Also you guys are right, the idea that you could legislate people to stay in a job that the automation process is trying to eliminate isn't a stop-gap at all. Safety concerns won't stay around forever. "Why should we pay people to do nothing" is still the argument, and even though there's a million jokes I could make about that addressing it seriously has you fighting the fight for general welfare.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Grondoth posted:

What's BI? I thought GMI was the idea that everyone got money.

Also you guys are right, the idea that you could legislate people to stay in a job that the automation process is trying to eliminate isn't a stop-gap at all. Safety concerns won't stay around forever. "Why should we pay people to do nothing" is still the argument, and even though there's a million jokes I could make about that addressing it seriously has you fighting the fight for general welfare.

BI is Basic Income, that's the simple straightforward flat distribution to everyone in the country.

GMI is Guaranteed Minimum Income, which is the means tests version where you get an mount of money based on your earnings from the previous year, where there is some acceptable level we agree upon and the government gives you enough to make up the difference. It generally rests on the assumption most people would not, in fact, be paid.

There's also Negative Income Tax which gives you more money the less you make, but still makes sure you make money working at each step in the process... most variants are mathematically identical to a BI + Progressive Tax Rate but with more complex paperwork and a time delay.

From a rhetorical perspective, BI is nice because GMI involves everyony doing work and many people not seeing a reward (it only gives money to poor people), but everyone receives a check and gets to feel like they are benefitting from the system, even if they paid more in than they're getting out of it this year.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Nov 28, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Is this the thread where we talk about 2018 gubernatorial races, because toot toot get ready to wield the sword of Chiang?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

I thought we were against throwing money into unwinnable races in red states.

Huh, that would explain why Clinton didn't bother to visit Wisconsin.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

alright calm down. she's not going to run again, and if she did she wouldn't win the primary. the idea of her running in 2016 was never a joke and i have no idea who at dnc thought she should run in 2012 given that quite a few of them were obama staffers.

i think it was abundantly clear during the primary that hillary was not a talented politician. she looked a lot better before she ran than while she was running. but i think in the end her loss was due to strategic errors that exposed serious flaws in how the democratic party's professionals conduct campaigns. had their resources been better allocated and their messaging more effective, they probably would have won

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Nov 28, 2016

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 40 hours!)

Hillary is a bad campaigner who would have made a terrific president. To be fair, she got more votes than any white man in US history. She merely lost by thin margins in the wrong states.

I love her, she's a really great person and a terrific stateswoman, but I really hope she doesn't run again. I doubt she will; you can tell she hates campaigning and she'll be too old anyway.

For historical precedent, note that no losing Democratic nominee has run in the next presidential primary for decades, since Humphrey in '72:
Kerry didn't run in '08, Gore didn't run in 04, Dukakis didn't run in '92, Mondale didn't run in '88, Carter didn't run in '84, McGovern didn't run in '76. Hillary will not run in 2020.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

Nothing like chasing my favorite sandwich, the hotdog, with some lemon bar cookies.

lol if your favorite sandwich isn't a taco

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hillary turned 2016 into a real time reenactment of the tortoise and the hare, if you gently caress up that badly you don't get second chances

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nameless_Steve posted:

Hillary is a bad campaigner who would have made a terrific president. To be fair, she got more votes than any white man in US history. She merely lost by thin margins in the wrong states.

I love her, she's a really great person and a terrific stateswoman, but I really hope she doesn't run again. I doubt she will; you can tell she hates campaigning and she'll be too old anyway.

For historical precedent, note that no losing Democratic nominee has run in the next presidential primary for decades, since Humphrey in '72:
Kerry didn't run in '08, Gore didn't run in 04, Dukakis didn't run in '92, Mondale didn't run in '88, Carter didn't run in '84, McGovern didn't run in '76. Hillary will not run in 2020.

Source your quotes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

Amanda Marcotte and her ilk of people who think the flyover country is just lovely poor people who ruin things will begin writing articles in 2018-2019 about Hillary 3.0 where sh'es learned the value of humility and why it's going to lead to the dems having 60 seats in the senate and 2/3rds the house along with her presidential victory.

If the insane poo poo about progressivism cannot fail and was just held back by sabotage by those evil NEOLIBRULS that people itt keep going on about holds any water, by 2019 it should be expected the dems will already have 60 seats in the senate and 2/3rds of the house. If they don't, you don't have a leg to stand on to criticize,

The House is lost until gerrymandering is eliminated forever. But they could have flipped seats if only they had a candidate people were excited about, with a populist bent.

Oh well, no one really fit that bill this time around.
I'm sure it would have done wonders for turnout to just ignore the will of the majority of voters.

And here goes the "buh-buh-but the establishment CHEATED" excuses, invariably using things that actually happened and were way way worse in the general.

LGD posted:

she did win a contest with her cookies and the recipe isn't bad, though I still maintain Barbara Bush unnecessarily handicapped herself by going with lemon bars

Delicious lemon bars are easy, you just need to figure out the proper timing and put the egg based icing in the oven with it after the base is set.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

if lemon bars are cookies then so are brownies and we're just living in loving fantasy land.

If it has flour and sugar and can fit in your hand it's a freaking cookie.

mugrim posted:

If only there was some kind of inclusive mobilization strategy that focused on all states, like some kind of 50 state strategy. Sure, you'll lose most the states you try and reach out to, but you'll get great coverage and you'll genuinely look like you're trying to talk to the whole nation.

Hmmmmmm.

Nah, gently caress it. Wisconsin will always be blue.

Hmm, if only the guy who came up with that strategy were running for DNC chair right now, I'm sure you'd support him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum, your side won the primary, how are you still this mad about it

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

fulchrum

full of cum

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm not sure what the Hill Shills want to accomplish with this constant talk about how yooge and luxurious Hillary's election loss was. I mean yeah pointing out that she won the popular vote is all good and stuff but in the end it doesn't mean anything, certainly not three weeks after the election is over.

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/803342830160605184
https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/802891853087375360

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol if obama goes down as a modern day buchanan

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

the country hates Trump (if you compare favoribility ratings to any recent presidents at this point in time) and Clinton still lost because the Democratic strategy used by the DNC and Obama for the past 6 years sucked.

no two ways around that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Fulchrum, your side won the primary, how are you still this mad about it

He's a shithead. :ssh:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh my :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not sure what the Hill Shills want to accomplish with this constant talk about how yooge and luxurious Hillary's election loss was. I mean yeah pointing out that she won the popular vote is all good and stuff but in the end it doesn't mean anything, certainly not three weeks after the election is over.

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/803342830160605184
https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/802891853087375360

"Hillary did well in affluent white collar suburbs and thriving new economy centers."

If only the polls required you to show a ticket stub from Hamilton to vote she would have won in a landslide!

• Locked thread