Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

congrats to shantae. condolences to whatever else comes out. last guardian i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Game of the month for December is Shantae btw
I know it's "done" but there still isn't a release date for it, right?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

found our next thread title right here

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

So what was GotM?
Still sticking to comedy Pinball VR option

I'm gonna be really let down :geno:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

To be fair those Netforce books are written by other people which is what happens when an author becomes a household name and then dies, kind of like how the 3 Bourne books that Robert Ludlum wrote are awesome but the dozens that were written after he died are stupid garbage.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

should've got james patterson to write them

[the booklovers in the audience start to hoot and holler]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

went to barnes and noble earlier, or as i call it Steam for Books

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've been seeing commercials for Patterson's newest book Cross the Line (You can only push Alex Cross so far) on TV at the gym. But I don't know anything about it because there are no closed captions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

went to barnes and noble earlier, or as i call it Steam for Books

you're like shellder from big bang theory

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

That's harsh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sheldon would never make such a flawed analogy.

Now, if you were to say "The nook store, or as I call it 'steam for books'", that would be a fitting comparison.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

well i hope his mom will buy him cards against humanity. ended up getting nightmare before christmas munchkin though so not a total loss

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

Wow I didn't think there could be a shittier tie in for pokemon than pokemon go

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Holy crap it is absolutely nuts just how damned good the new Doom is.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I read a couple Tom Clancy books in middle school because they were in the school library

some were obviously for kids and they involved like, 3D virtual worlds that were basically .hack in scope

another had a dude getting a massage by a lady that wasn't his wife and she tried to gently caress him

so that was probably an oversight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

VideoGames posted:

Holy crap it is absolutely nuts just how damned good the new Doom is.

I'm gonna catch ridicule for this but I threw up the horns and started headbanging a little when the DOOM logo came up and the music kicked in after that elevator sequence in the prologue

(NerdCubed deadpanned "Yeah I orgasmed pretty heavily there, not gonna lie. Not gonna lie" there in his video :v:)

DOOM and Titanfall 2 are tied in my head for really great single player campaigns--DOOM was longer but overstayed its welcome slightly, I feel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed Doom more because I felt Doom's core gameplay was more solid while Titanfall kind of veered between gimmicks I liked and gimmicks I disliked. Both were really fun though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It feels like it shouldn't be as good as it is. In a world of sequels and remakes and all that jazz, its core gameplay is pure back to its roots truth. That and it's beautiful to look at. It's definitely a strange anomaly!!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I mentioned Hitman season 1 being on sale for 16 if you bought the starter pack + the upgrade a couple pages back. Well apparently gamestop stopped being dumb and now just has the first season as a whole on sale for 15 so yeah do that instead.

Also holy poo poo gamestop of all places with a spicy game deal?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Someone mad they can't get ahold of a nes mini...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRicuKHmjZA

I haven't watched it yet but he legit seems to get way way way too mad about nintendo

Admittedly I didn't want an nes classic but idk what there is to complain about. Wasn't the nes classic always supposed to be a super limited release specialty thing?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Admittedly I didn't want an nes classic but idk what there is to complain about. Wasn't the nes classic always supposed to be a super limited release specialty thing?

In the sense that Nintendo was distributing it and they still suck at or deliberately hinder their own distribution, yeah.

It's just Amiibos again, they'll be plentiful in like 6 months.

I think the New 3DS they put up over Black Friday was actually supposed to be limited, though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

In the sense that Nintendo was distributing it and they still suck at or deliberately hinder their own distribution, yeah.

It's just Amiibos again, they'll be plentiful in like 6 months.

I think the New 3DS they put up over Black Friday was actually supposed to be limited, though.

Oh, I thought it was like a 100% limited time offer deal where they made and shipped a few and then that was it, no major plans to keep on producing them.

If it wasn't that, then I would have guessed the plan was to underproduce to see if there is even a market so as to avoid flooding the market like they did with the animal crossing amiibos and then putting out more, so like you said, plentiful in 6 months so whatever.

People should stop getting mad about not being able to buy video games imo

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You should be able to get one eventually

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/797124398813626372

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So jim's just whining again I guess

how is everybody doing today?

I haven't been feeling well lately, to be honest, but even if I'm not all there and not at my best, it doesn't mean I can't wish everyone else a good day! :D

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

So jim's just whining again I guess

No, he's jimquisiting.

FirstAidKite posted:

how is everybody doing today?

I haven't been feeling well lately, to be honest, but even if I'm not all there and not at my best, it doesn't mean I can't wish everyone else a good day! :D

Our apartment is leaking again because we're experiencing record rainfalls here and it sucks because we were just about to get it finished up after a previous, unrelated leak (that time it was the person's dishwasher breaking upstairs).

Also I have a million very thick assignments and exams to grade. poo poo sucks in general rn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna catch ridicule for this but I threw up the horns and started headbanging a little when the DOOM logo came up and the music kicked in after that elevator sequence in the prologue

I think they showed great wisdom by ending the title buttrock with that perfectly-timed shotgun pump

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

People should stop getting mad about not being able to buy video games imo

I have so many and I want more!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Jim's point has less to do with his own inability to get one and more to do with the fact that Nintendo's manufacturing of scarcity is a business tactic that's disrespectful to consumers and to the on-the-floor retail employees who then have to bear the brunt of the anger for being unable to deliver something Nintendo hasn't given them.

At least, that's what I got from the video.

Whether he's right to criticize Nintendo for that (or for those reasons) is up for debate, but I don't think he's just whining because he couldn't get an NES mini.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The real culprit is the holiday season. The demand for it as a gift is enabling scalpers and causing increased scarcity.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Same!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm doing it, I'm whining that I didn't get an NES mini.

It would have been cool.

Though admittedly I'm crazy and couldn't find somebody showing a teardown of the front of the controller so I couldn't see if I could just use the new controller molds for my old controllers and spiffy them up since that's the main thing I want. I'm totally buying like four of those if that's the case though I'm sure it's not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I like its nintendo's fault for people being mean to target employees lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I went to a Target yesterday because their website said they still had the $100 3DS on hand and I nicely asked if they did and they didn't and went that's too bad and left.

drat NINTENDO, THAT POOR CLERK

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think Jim's point has less to do with his own inability to get one and more to do with the fact that Nintendo's manufacturing of scarcity is a business tactic that's disrespectful to consumers and to the on-the-floor retail employees who then have to bear the brunt of the anger for being unable to deliver something Nintendo hasn't given them.

At least, that's what I got from the video.

Whether he's right to criticize Nintendo for that (or for those reasons) is up for debate, but I don't think he's just whining because he couldn't get an NES mini.

Disrespectful lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean, sorta? We can reasonably predict that people are going to be pissed off when they can't get a thing, and taking actions that ensures they can't get a thing, knowing that you (the one making the decision) will be insulated from the consequences and probably profit, is kind of lovely to the actual store employees. It's worse because it's the holiday season and people who, say, want to buy this thing for their kid who is going to be so crushed (you know, like spoiled kids do) if he doesn't get one are going to be stressed out about it. Should they lash out at retail employees? Absolutely not. Will they? Yeah, and there's nothing you or I can do about that.

Sure, in an ideal world, people would just go, "Oh, it's sold out. I'll check back later" 100% of the time, but they don't, and changing a business practice designed to elicit frenzy for product is a lot easier than somehow engineering aggressive materialism out of the population.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've never watched his videos are they good/why does he dress like that/how do i make $120,000 a year on patreon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I've never watched his videos are they good/why does he dress like that/how do i make $120,000 a year on patreon

1. Hit or miss. Sometimes he does come across as just whiny, but sometimes he can muster an amusingly righteous fury over Konami being shitheads, for example.

2. I have no idea why he has that gimmick and I think it's dumb.

3. If I knew, I wouldn't be a tech writer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Our apartment is leaking again because we're experiencing record rainfalls here and it sucks because we were just about to get it finished up after a previous, unrelated leak (that time it was the person's dishwasher breaking upstairs).

Also I have a million very thick assignments and exams to grade. poo poo sucks in general rn.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the leak gets fixed up soon and the rain stops :\

Good luck with your assignments and exams, I'm sure if you keep pecking away at them you'll have them graded before you know it!! :)

Phantasium posted:

I don't like how I phrased that so I'm gonna try again.

IMO, people shouldn't get mad over video games for reasons that are kinda silly like not being able to currently find a game or system that the manufacturers will be producing and shipping copies of soon enough.

I didn't want to just leave it at "Quit getting mad about video games" because I think there are legit reasons to be mad about a game, but I didn't like how the way I phrased it could be seen as disregarding people who have issues with not being able to obtain games and stuff for legit reasons, like artificial lack of supply with no plans to ship more, or scalpers artificially inflating the price, or just not having enough money to afford games in general

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every now and then I'll remember how crazy my mom went when McDonald's was giving out Beanie Babies in the 90s and how she went to trade groups so that she could have two of each (one to open and one to keep out) because she'll ask me to check the prices off them on the internets. No mom, they're still like 15 cents for all of them.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't like how I phrased that so I'm gonna try again.

No worries, just making a joke, not tryin' to bust anyone's balls.

If anything Black Friday has reminded me once again that I could have waited on buying a few games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess my point is this (maybe it's Jim's point too, I dunno, I didn't really pay that much attention to the video):

People are going to be lovely whether we like it or not, especially when it's holiday shopping season. Let's just avoid encouraging that shittiness with artificial scarcity intended to provoke a frenzy over a product (while also playing right into scaplers' hands).

• Locked thread