Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

I like that the moral realm has to play by the rules of gently caress the climate capitalism

:circlefap: about the end of industrial society if you want, I guess, but a moral realm that doesn't itneract with reality isn't relevant to much.

edit:

Like... in no way does anyone involved in DAPL protesting or even DAPL construction have the power to change the global order so idk it seems pointless to consider it in this context.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

wateroverfire posted:

Even in the moral realm...

Pipelines are remarkably safe. The US has only had a handful of incidents with something like 2.3 million KM of pipe. Crude is going to get transported some kind of way and the other methods are less safe. So what is the DAPL protest but NIMBYism, if pipeline safety is the justification?
Well, charitably either the protest believes there is an even safer means of transport whether it's a different route or different method (or even just delaying construction until other water sources can be secured), even if they may be technically wrong on safety statistics, or the protest wants to reduce or limit the US oil transport capability and this is just a convenient specific instance of a general problem. Both of those seem like supportable arguments, I couldn't comment on safety statistics, that seems like a boring technical detail I probably don't have the background for.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wateroverfire posted:

:circlefap: about the end of industrial society if you want, I guess, but a moral realm that doesn't itneract with reality isn't relevant to much.

To judge by your posts, your idea of morality is built entirely of universal, inflexible rules with no contingent factors involved. Thus, having demonstrated you are a nitwit, your opinions on this subject would seem to be worthless.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

wateroverfire posted:

honestly that's kind of how I feel about america's federal government in 2016

reality optional, profits mandatory

wateroverfire posted:

Like... in no way does anyone involved in DAPL protesting or even DAPL construction have the power to change the global order so idk it seems pointless to consider it in this context.

congratulations, white people said this about the civil rights movement 60 years ago as well, keep fighting the good fight

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

twodot posted:

Well, charitably either the protest believes there is an even safer means of transport whether it's a different route or different method (or even just delaying construction until other water sources can be secured), even if they may be technically wrong on safety statistics, or the protest wants to reduce or limit the US oil transport capability and this is just a convenient specific instance of a general problem. Both of those seem like supportable arguments, I couldn't comment on safety statistics, that seems like a boring technical detail I probably don't have the background for.

Yeah, those seem like supportable arguments.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah, those seem like supportable arguments.

Except it's already been disproven. They don't switch away from the less safe methods after completing the safer infrastructure.

Their end goal is to flood the market with crude. They will use all the methods available, not the safest one. There is never been a case when, after completing a pipe run, they switch off rail or road. They utilize all three at the same, only increasing, rates.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wateroverfire posted:

edit:

You are really, really good at these false dichotomies. They're pointless bullshit, and not relevant at all to discussion, but you definitely have a talent for trotting them out.

Let me blow your mind again : It is possible to have objections to certain business practices or decisions without demanding to roll back the Industrial Revolution.

I didn't think the basic logic of nuance needed to be made fully explicit for you, but apparently I was incorrect.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Two Dot knew I was using two different meanings of the word Right intentionally, and felt the need to lecture me on basic English which was frankly rather insulting. You don't get to pretend I was arguing in bad faith by saying "Oh look, you are using two different meanings of the word, you are obviously trying to obfuscate your point".

The problem is that you are arguing for a right that only exists so long as you agree with the way it is exercised, which is rather contrary to the concept of a right in the first place.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Gobbeldygook posted:

Let us all celebrate the Noble Savage who lived in harmony with the land and didn't need cell phones, vaccines, or antibiotics! Yeah, no, gently caress hunter-gatherers.

It sounds like you have some ideas about native americans which might make you a bit biased about what side to take here.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rodatose posted:

It sounds like you have some ideas about native americans which might make you a bit biased about what side to take here.
Maybe you should read the post I was responding to

Uglycat posted:

The people here belong to cultures that /remember/ what Turtle Island (what many folk call 'North America') looked like before the Bellows arrived. The Lakota were symbiotic with the Buffalo, and the white man /killed all the buffalo/, *DESTROYING* their way of life. If the buffalo had not been killed, they would have continued following them as a tribe. They had no need for gasoline with that lifestyle.

The objection here is to the impact that our gas-powered economy is having upon Turtle Island, a /living organism/ as they understand it. The pipeline does not bode well for the health of the body of the Turtle. And the Turtle is already ailing bad.
I am not attacking a strawman. Uglycat literally is bemoaning the tragedy that the Lakota are not still hunter-gatherers who follow the buffalo and live off the land without cars, antibiotics, and vaccines.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Maybe they should drop off some small pox blankets with those vaccines.

I'm still surprised by people defending a bunch of fat white people who still hunger for oil despite the ever increasing demand for a clean environment. But I guess I really shouldn't. We'll all be dead of old age and heartattacks and selfishness is what will make America Great Again(tm).

It's also cute a poster with a name like wateroverfire doesn't quite grasp the meaning of his username whatsoever.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am not attacking a strawman. Uglycat literally is bemoaning the tragedy that the Lakota are not still hunter-gatherers who follow the buffalo and live off the land without cars, antibiotics, and vaccines.

That's an interesting interpretation of that post.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Gobbeldygook posted:

I read the post, as other people have, it just seems that you have some preexisting ideas about native americans that are getting tangled up in your view of what's happening/what other people are saying.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Hundreds of citizens from the 92% white city of Bismarck, ND - who were spared from early DAPL route plans by the Army Corps of Engineers - came out to show their support for military and law enforcement officials who are forcing the DAPL on natives.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/26/hundreds-turn-out-in-bismarck-n-d-to-support-law-enforcement/

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Did it occur to you that was on purpose?

Yeah it did, because you're arguing in bad faith and jumping between moral and legal constructs as a means to dodge any attempt to make you stick to a consistent position that can be engaged with.

Disagree with you on the moral underpinnings of the protest? You fascist don't you understand these people have rights!

Attempt to engage the legal backing of claimed rights that are supposedly being violated? You fascist don't you understand legal doesn't mean just!

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 28, 2016

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Fansy posted:

Hundreds of citizens from the 92% white city of Bismarck, ND - who were spared from early DAPL route plans by the Army Corps of Engineers - came out to show their support for military and law enforcement officials who are forcing the DAPL on natives.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/26/hundreds-turn-out-in-bismarck-n-d-to-support-law-enforcement/

quote:

Later into the assembly, Bismarck Police Chief Dan Donlin mingled with participants and shook hands as people left the rally, expressing his appreciation of the gesture.

“This was awesome. I can’t say enough. For all these people to take their Saturday off just to show their support for law enforcement,” he said.

quote:

"to take their Saturday off"
Such a noble sacrifice :911:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fansy posted:

False. The route was originally set to cross the Missouri River just north of the 92% white city of Bismarck.

http://www.psc.nd.gov/database/documents/14-0842/001-030.pdf

The Army Corps of Engineers shot the plan down.

which still doesn't involve ~white~ NIMBYs succeeding at complaining where natives wouldn't

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fansy posted:

False. The route was originally set to cross the Missouri River just north of the 92% white city of Bismarck.

The Army Corps of Engineers shot the plan down.

Where does that document support that assertion? It shows the proposed pipeline in it's current location and I can't find any mention of a previous plan.

Or did you think you could just throw up a 100+ page report and get away with claiming whatever you want because no one would actually read it to check?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm still surprised by people defending a bunch of fat white people who still hunger for oil despite the ever increasing demand for a clean environment. But I guess I really shouldn't. We'll all be dead of old age and heartattacks and selfishness is what will make America Great Again(tm).
This may be inconceivable to you, but it is possible to simultaneously hold the positions that 1) fossil fuels are bad and should be legislated out of their dominant position in the energy supply and 2) allowing every dumb loving heckler to shut down construction of infrastructure indefinitely is also bad, with 2) overriding 1) in this case.

Holding the position that properly approved things get built even if someone gets real mad and goes protesting after failing to make a case during the planning process, for instance, to also disregard stupid loving NIMBY objections about a nuclear power plant or solar farm going up in sight of their lovely plot of land.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 28, 2016

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
In all my years I'll never understand why white people hate Native Americans so much. Y'all are arguing over the definition of the word "right" while people are getting amputations over access to clean water. Who gives a single flying gently caress if they didn't dot every i and cross every t on the "please don't poison our water" form 133-A? If this was a town of white people, would the posters in this thread arguing against #NODAPL be as vehement in their condemnation? I sincerely loving doubt it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

In all my years I'll never understand why white people hate Native Americans so much. Y'all are arguing over the definition of the word "right" while people are getting amputations over access to clean water. Who gives a single flying gently caress if they didn't dot every i and cross every t on the "please don't poison our water" form 133-A? If this was a town of white people, would the posters in this thread arguing against #NODAPL be as vehement in their condemnation? I sincerely loving doubt it.

I, for one, would happily see rich white landowner NIMBYs arrested over the same poo poo. Also actively refusing to even deal with the approval process beyond making patently unrealistic and ill-defined claims is way beyond not quite dotting every i and crossing every t.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Poland Spring posted:

Dude white people love Native Americans, why do you think they have so much silver and turquoise jewelry, and Hopi kachina dolls, and dreamcatcher tattoos?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Poland Spring posted:

Yeah accept their water isn't getting poisoned, it's actually getting relocated and improved.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No. They were not. Specifically, the DPL construction group hid/delayed discover of multiple sites.

[citation loving needed]

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Where does that document support that assertion? It shows the proposed pipeline in it's current location and I can't find any mention of a previous plan.

Look at the picture on page 22.

If you prefer secondary sources, you can also check out Wikipedia, ABC, or any mainstream news source reporting on the reroute. But this is their source.

Jarmak posted:

Or did you think you could just throw up a 100+ page report and get away with claiming whatever you want because no one would actually read it to check?

I don't have a reason to make up news.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 28, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fansy posted:

The one that shows the pipeline going south of Bismarck like it currently is?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting to note that the idea of negotiating is completely foregone in the minds of Jarmak, blowjob, etc. The Lakota must stand aside or be ground into hamburger by cops and DAPL bulldozers. We must follow proper procedure, and if that procedure leads to us massacring elderly people in the name of oil, so much the better.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fansy posted:

If you prefer secondary sources, you can also check out Wikipedia, ABC, or any mainstream news source reporting on the reroute. But this is their source.

That does not count as a plan - it's literally the initial "let's make a bunch of candidate routes" stage. There wasn't a proposal to actually build the route upstream of Bismarck that was withdrawn and replaced by a proposal to build the route upstream of Standing Rock.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Poland Spring posted:

NIMBYs are terrible no matter who they are. Probably the backlash in this thread would be stronger if they weren't Native Americans. For example, the people who oppose development and infrastructure under the guise of environmentalism but really to protect their property values ('California Liberals') are really terrible people.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2016

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

The one that shows the pipeline going south of Bismarck like it currently is?

It's very difficult to get people to accept a well known fact in this forum.

Nobody to my knowledge is disputing that an initial route was planned north of Bismarck. It's widely reported on ABC, Wikipedia, and Dakota Access's own pdf:

It was shot down by the COE for environmental reasons. None of this is disputed, unless you're discussing it on the Something Awful forums.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fansy posted:

Nobody to my knowledge is disputing that an initial route was planned north of Bismarck. It's widely reported on ABC, Wikipedia, and Dakota Access's own pdf:

blowfish posted:

That does not count as a plan - it's literally the initial "let's make a bunch of candidate routes" stage. There wasn't a proposal to actually build the route upstream of Bismarck that was withdrawn and replaced by a proposal to build the route upstream of Standing Rock.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

NIMBYs are terrible no matter who they are. Probably the backlash in this thread would be stronger if they weren't Native Americans. People who oppose development and infrastructure under the guise of environmentalism but really to protect their property values are really terrible people. 'California Liberals'

Thank you for admitting you have no soul.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

blowfish posted:

I, for one, would happily see rich white landowner NIMBYs arrested over the same poo poo. Also actively refusing to even deal with the approval process beyond making patently unrealistic and ill-defined claims is way beyond not quite dotting every i and crossing every t.

Who gives a poo poo, there's people crippled for life over this and it looks very much like people are going to die in the next couple weeks, which shouldn't have to happen in the first place. There's procedures in place for ensuring safety and health in both sides of a protest that are blatantly not being followed. Even if the pipeline is "legal" their defense of it is not, and serious consideration must be made about the precedents things like this will set. I don't want how they handled this to become the standard for suppression of protests, especially considering how frequent and ubiquitous protests are becoming.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fansy posted:

It was shot down by the COE for environmental reasons. None of this is disputed, unless you're discussing it on the Something Awful forums.

ahh I was looking at the PDF page numbers not the page numbers printed on the document. Page 22 according to adobe was a map of the current pipeline.... because it's what's being proposed in the document.

That still isn't showing what you claimed it did, and it's expressly not what wikipedia claims it is (and it's what wiki cites).... which kind of makes your "but wikipedia" claim kind of worthless.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And now there's some grudging acceptance of the fact there was a plan to route the pipeline north of the 92% white city of Bismarck (shot down by the Army Corps of Engineers) but the Something Awful forums now want to dispute the definition of "plan".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

Who gives a poo poo, there's people crippled for life over this and it looks very much like people are going to die in the next couple weeks, which shouldn't have happened in the first place. There's procedures in place for ensuring safety and health in both sides of a protest that are blatantly not being followed. Even if the pipeline is "legal" their defense of it is not, and serious consideration must be made about the precedents things like this will set. I don't want how they handled this to become the standard for suppression of protests, especially considering how frequent and ubiquitous protests are becoming.

:byodame: "they just didn't dot every i and cross every t, you can't hold this minor thing against them"
:v: "actually they were being completely obstinate and unreasonable"
:byodame: "nevermind then, dotting every i and crossing every t isn't important according to my newly-shifted goalposts, what really counts is that my side are the good guys"

also simultaneously holding the belief that american levels of police brutality are bad and that the protestors are dumb and wrong is possible. like ideally the police would just cordon off the camp and park a food cart at the way out, so that eventually the protestors will get hungry and leave to get to the food cart after which they get sent home/arrested/whatever, but the protest is still stupid and bad

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 28, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fansy posted:

And now there's some grudging acceptance of the fact there was a plan to route the pipeline north of the 92% white city of Bismarck (shot down by the Army Corps of Engineers) but the Something Awful forums now want to dispute the definition of "plan".

No, uhh, that's not what that document shows at all.

That wasn't grudging acceptance it was more like "well I can see how you could misunderstand this if you've never in your entire life read a project proposal, you're still wrong but I believe you weren't purposely trying to lie"

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

blowfish posted:

:byodame: "they just didn't dot every i and cross every t, you can't hold this minor thing against them"
:v: "actually they were being completely obstinate and unreasonable"
:byodame: "nevermind then, dotting every i and crossing every t isn't important according to my newly-shifted goalposts, what really counts is that my side are the good guys"

also simultaneously holding the belief that american levels of police brutality are bad and that the protestors are dumb and wrong is possible

My goalpost was "who gives a poo poo about paperwork" so just keep on moving yours

It's also possible to simultaneously jerk yourself off while posting apparently

Edit:

:byodame: "I disagree with your posting!"
:v: "I am an excellent poster and am also very smart."
:byodame: "WHAT!? I DISAGREE WITH YOU AND AM NOW A RAVING LUNATIC!
:v: "Sigh, I am cool and calm about this. I am the better man."
:byodame: "NOT ME! I'M SO DUMB AND GODDAMN CRAZY!"

I can do it too

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 28, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

No, uhh, that's not what that document shows at all.

That wasn't grudging acceptance it was more like "well I can see how you could misunderstand this if you've never in your entire life read a project proposal, you're still wrong but I believe you weren't purposely trying to lie"

drat, you're a lawyer, cop, and civil/enviromental engineer. You got a doctorate in forestry too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

My goalpost was "who gives a poo poo about paperwork" so just keep on moving yours

It's also possible to simultaneously jerk yourself off while posting apparently

Edit:

:byodame: "I disagree with your posting!"
:v: "I am an excellent poster and am also very smart."
:byodame: "WHAT!? I DISAGREE WITH YOU AND AM NOW A RAVING LUNATIC!
:v: "Sigh, I am cool and calm about this. I am the better man."
:byodame: "NOT ME! I'M SO DUMB AND GODDAMN CRAZY!"

I can do it too

This :v: guy in your post must have an extremely high opinion of himself.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 28, 2016

• Locked thread