Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As someone's whose tried salt water aquariums and even cooked a puffer fish because of a lovely thermostat in a cold house, there's no comparison to horses. It's expensive, but not hopelessly expensive and it's far easier to get out of fish ownership than horse ownership. Plus get to enjoy your aquarium all the time rather than driving a hour out to the country every other weekend to glaze wistfully upon your equine equity.

Also, don't have tanks with more water than you're prepared to have leak all over your floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
But can you throw a fish wedding?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
No less so than a horse wedding

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Depending on your type of fish, they eat their young.

Guppies are good with money.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

Is there a worse pet than horses in terms of being BWM?

Well, there are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDzb2yq6XYY

If you ever want a new derail bird, you might look into the palm cockatoo. It looks like something you'd see if Hot Topic opened up a pet store.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

glaze wistfully upon your equine equity

I know that's what I do with my horse.

:horse: :gizz:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

So are there wifi-capable fishtanks that will text you when your expensive fish dies, or is that an untapped market?

e: And after searching, of course there are. In fact, it probably makes way more sense with fish than horses because you could even solve the issue remotely. At least you could use an IP camera to get the full enjoyment of looking at your fish from wherever you are. I'm sure that would be a cool screensaver.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 28, 2016

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Teeter posted:

So are there wifi-capable fishtanks that will text you when your expensive fish dies, or is that an untapped market?

e: And after searching, of course there are. In fact, it probably makes way more sense with fish than horses because you could even solve the issue remotely. At least you could use an IP camera to get the full enjoyment of looking at your fish from wherever you are. I'm sure that would be a cool screensaver.

Makes sense that there'd be apps. A readout on Temp + Ph + Salinity + Dissolved oxygen with alerts on allowable levels seems like a no-brainer.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

Makes sense that there'd be apps. A readout on Temp + Ph + Salinity + Dissolved oxygen with alerts on allowable levels seems like a no-brainer.
I'm going to open an aquarium and sell fractional ownership of fishes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Here's one I don't think we've seen in this thread before:

What to do about my 9.990% piano loan? posted:

Outstanding principal balance: $12,993 Interest rate: 9.990%
My current monthly payments are about $250 ($139 principal, $111 interest)
I just realized how this isn't exactly a great financial situation to be in.
Currently I have about $35,000 in cash savings (for a house downpayment) and $52,000 in in 401k, and I'm 32.
I don't believe we'll have enough to make a house downpayment for another 3-4 years.
Would it be best to just pay off the loan outright with cash savings? Then I'd play catch-up while contributing my current monthly payment for the piano back into savings.
I have no other debt.

In the comments it is clarified that this guy is not a professional musician and does not use this piano to make any income.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guinness posted:

In the comments it is clarified that this guy is not a professional musician and does not use this piano to make any income.

What an idiot. Why didn't he just buy the piano straight up cash?

Yes, pay it off with your savings, idiot. Save yourself $111/month.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Guinness posted:

Aren't pianos nightmares to move? Seems like waiting until he was a homeowner to buy a piano would have killed two birds with one stone here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, pianos are terrible to move, a lot of professional movers won't even move them. You have to get a mover that will bother with it, and there is usually a special surcharge. Doing it properly, even on a small upright, requires more people and special equipment. The smallest pianos still weigh 300lbs or so. I have no idea what people even do if they have a grand piano, I assume you just roll it out the window to kill someone and call it done.

Also once you move a piano you have to get someone out to tune it, and then retune it again in a couple weeks after it has settled. Musical instruments are often BWM but pianos are noteworthy because they're a headache to even get rid of.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Yea, pianos are terrible to move, a lot of professional movers won't even move them. You have to get a mover that will bother with it, and there is usually a special surcharge. Doing it properly, even on a small upright, requires more people and special equipment. The smallest pianos still weigh 300lbs or so. I have no idea what people even do if they have a grand piano, I assume you just roll it out the window to kill someone and call it done.

Dedicated piano movers who hire a crane, pull a permit to block the street, and lift that sucker into your Manhattan apartment.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Uprights aren't that bad. I moved two yesterday.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Dedicated piano movers who hire a crane, pull a permit to block the street, and lift that sucker into your Manhattan apartment.

This, my parents hired a piano mover seperate from the regular mover last time they moved. I've also heard that pool tables are simialrly complex to move.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

This, my parents hired a piano mover seperate from the regular mover last time they moved. I've also heard that pool tables are simialrly complex to move.
Look at these plebs. Get some real specialized moving challenges like grandfather clocks.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Look at these plebs. Get some real specialized moving challenges like grandfather clocks.

What are you talking about, I just toss grandfather clocks into the back of the wagon.

Usually five or more of them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DarkHorse posted:

What are you talking about, I just toss grandfather clocks into the back of the wagon.

Clocks. We're talking about clocks.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Also once you move a piano you have to get someone out to tune it, and then retune it again in a couple weeks after it has settled. Musical instruments are often BWM but pianos are noteworthy because they're a headache to even get rid of.

At least good quality (non piano) musical instruments hold their value pretty well. My French horn is worth pretty much what it was bought for when I was in high school, probably a little more.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Clocks and a few kegs of pickles. Then just go for it. I like the way you think.

Pool tables arent bad. Remove sides and pockets. Take the slate off. Take legs off. Throw in in truck.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My parents have a piano inherited from my great-grandfather, who I never met. He bought it off a man in a bar for $50 in cash. The guy showed up at their door later that day, with a friend, carrying a piano, knocked on the door and informed my great-grandmother (she was the only one home) that he'd arrived with her piano.

Great-grandpa hadn't been home yet, so she had no idea what the hell was going on, and somehow didn't send this man offering a "free piano" away.

GWM, because the piano totally fell off the back of a truck. Also GWP, I guess, since the piano is still in good shape and, as far as I can tell, sounds really nice.

I wonder how many pianos that guy sold that way.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

I'm (hopefully) starting a new job soon, for which I'm going to have to buy a car, and since I know the bank will definitely lend me the cash for this, I was thinking about asking them to (significantly) increase the size of the loan, so I could buy a really good upright (I've outgrown the cheap thing I currently practice on).
I know some music shops do finance deals, but I thought going through a bank I could get a better interest rate.
Comparing it to a car, the piano will really hold its value well, compared to the financial hemorrhage that is a car. But will the bank do this? Has anyone else borrowed to buy?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

H110Hawk posted:

In Boston there's a company that does this called "Deathwish Piano Movers" that also moves all sorts of giant heavy expensive stuff. I can only imagine how much that it costs to hoist a piano out of one apartment and into another.

edit re: music expenses. My best friend from high school plays cello, and she did a study abroad program in Chile in college, and she had to purchase a second airplane ticket for her $8k cello.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot of times a piano can't be moved. When they built a new school in my city, the piano for the music room went in before they put the walls up, and there is no way it can be removed without knocking them down.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Konstantin posted:

A lot of times a piano can't be moved. When they built a new school in my city, the piano for the music room went in before they put the walls up, and there is no way it can be removed without knocking them down.

The senior prank when I graduated was some students leading a piano in to the main building and on to the top floor. Apparently pianos refuse to go down stairs, or at least that's my understanding of it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Konstantin posted:

Have a cup of tea

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Moneyball posted:

The senior prank when I graduated was some students leading a piano in to the main building and on to the top floor. Apparently pianos refuse to go down stairs, or at least that's my understanding of it.

We used to paint pianos with '1' '2' & '4' and let them loose in the main building.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

spog posted:

We used to paint pianos with '1' '2' & '4' and let them loose in the main building.

One time I was watching my neighbor's piano for the weekend and I gave it chocolate and it died.

I was so worried but when they came back the Mom slipped me an extra $20 and said she'd been trying to get rid of the thing for years.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
What are some BFC approved hobbies? I am afraid that my $50/month gym membership is going to be considered a felony here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

What are some BFC approved hobbies?

Part time jobs.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

JohnGalt posted:

What are some BFC approved hobbies? I am afraid that my $50/month gym membership is going to be considered a felony here.

Budgeting.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Whatever makes you happy as long as it works in to a reasonable budget relative to your income level.

Poker night, indoor rock climbing, gang bangs, etc. It's all good.

If you're oil magnate wealthy, owning tigers and horses is fine. But if you have to charge a bull, it's probably a bad idea.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

JohnGalt posted:

I do some hobby blacksmithing using pieces of metal I pick up off the side of the road, using charcoal I made myself from discarded pallets I fished out of dumpsters. I do buy things related to that hobby from time to time though, so it's definitely BWM.

BFC-Approved Hobby: Working a second job and using the money to buy index funds

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JohnGalt posted:

Being healthy is good with money, because you will require fewer medical treatment expenses.
However, living longer can be bad with money, because you will need to save more for retirement if you live too long.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

JohnGalt posted:

I think the only fully sanctioned BFC hobby is numismatics, with an eye for volume, not rarity or condition. The ideal case is to have one of every serial number.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
$50/month for a gym membership isn't that bad when I have friends who pay $200/month and additional parking fees to work out in a gym/club that doesn't even have a bball court. Don't go to gyms that have valets ya'll.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

At a recent get together, a sort-of-friend was going on about how excited she was to get a "discount" at some crossfit gym. The discounted rate was $175/mo. Apparently it's normally almost $250. Not even some fancy pants high end gym, just your typical warehouse-turned-crossfit place.

And she's a public school teacher, so not exactly rolling in disposable income. Crossfit people are insane.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GWM: Own and operate a crossfit gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

WampaLord posted:

GWM: Own and operate a crossfit gymn empty garage, PVC pipe, and a big tire.

• Locked thread