Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Dreamsicle posted:

Grey commissioned Ryuho as a carrier 5 days before it was in real life. I wonder how Grey is doing with Industry.

Don't all the delivery dates for ships have a built in +/- uncertainty to them? You can get them a little early or late so you can't quite rely on an exact date(?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Did Grey cancel the Chuyo? Her and the Ryuho are the last carriers that are going to come out of OTL Japanese shipyards until October,1943.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grumio posted:

Don't all the delivery dates for ships have a built in +/- uncertainty to them? You can get them a little early or late so you can't quite rely on an exact date(?)

Depends on your settings. You can have it be non-variable, somewhat variable (+/- 15 days) or EXTREMEly variable (+/- 60 days)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, that's a nice couple oilers there. How's your own oil situation holding up otherwise Grey? And the fleet made it back to the dockyards for repairs okay or still going there?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We finally get a bomb into that oiler. Nice of it to stick around long enough.

Nates – slower than bloody bombers.

The enemy carrier is back! My carriers have all headed north, but maybe these guys will stray into range of Rangoon....

Will the enemy be stupid enough to get into range of Rangoon? The forums world waits with baited breath.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I think you mean Rabaul?

Port Moresby is like 4,000 miles from Rangoon...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Judging by the number of planes that attacked you, and what we know from the previous carrier battles, the Americans may be sending the only carrier they have in service at you. Normally this would seem like a bad idea after the damage from the last battle, but you should detach as many undamaged carriers as you can to go after this one. If this is one carrier and you sink it, the Americans might be left with only one carrier in the entire Pacific.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 28, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If it weren't for the type of planes, I'd wonder if those were British carriers that you didn't get in your initial sweep.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Would it be safe to assume that oiler is toast? Since tankers and oilers are such good targets I've been wondering for a while if my imagination is correct and basically any bomb or shell hit bigger than a dartgun results in fiery death.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
What would the carrier likely be? A CV or a CVL? And in any case, which one? Assuming it's not Enterprise. Could it be Ranger or something else?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I accidentally bought WITP instead of WITP:AE. Is there a huge difference between the two?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Sad King Billy posted:

I accidentally bought WITP instead of WITP:AE. Is there a huge difference between the two?

Sadly, yes. I've heard AE is a huge step up from WITP with the expansion of the map and dropping from 60x60 hexes to 40x40.

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Would it be safe to assume that oiler is toast? Since tankers and oilers are such good targets I've been wondering for a while if my imagination is correct and basically any bomb or shell hit bigger than a dartgun results in fiery death.

If it had fuel, yes it's toast. They don't become floating hulks that can be repaired, they sink due to fires/system damage.

wedgekree posted:

What would the carrier likely be? A CV or a CVL? And in any case, which one? Assuming it's not Enterprise. Could it be Ranger or something else?

It's a CV since it has more than 30 planes attacking and no CVL's or CVE's the Allies carry more than 30ish planes. 22 Wildcats actually seems high for one carrier though, I think at this point the fighter squadrons on US carriers is still maybe 36, which eventually goes up to 40 and then to 44 later on. Ranger never arrives in theater IIRC (or maybe late '45). I think Lexington also survived unhurt, while Enterprise may have gotten damaged (1 bomb, 1 torp). Enterprise actually fits in the Sydney shipyards while Lexington is too big, so maybe they went there and then Lexington came back.

If you have the combat logs or watch the combat replay it can sometimes give you the squadron name of the planes attacking ships. Japan helpfully are named after the ship and then a number, Allies are like "VB-3" which would be Enterprise's dive bomber squadron unless the squadron was moved, which I don't think the AI will actually do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sad King Billy posted:

It's basically a totally different game, and frankly one not really worth playing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I died so hard I didn't check the thread for a week and missed it :smith:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

steinrokkan posted:

It's basically a totally different game, and frankly one not really worth playing.

Yeah the scenarios are different and a lot of other changes. Frankly I think it's a little weird that they even still sell non-AE WITP as an option.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

gohuskies posted:

Yeah the scenarios are different and a lot of other changes. Frankly I think it's a little weird that they even still sell non-AE WITP as an option.

It was about Ł7 cheaper, I didn't even see AE until my transaction had gone through.
they don't give refunds either

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Sad King Billy posted:

It was about Ł7 cheaper, I didn't even see AE until my transaction had gone through.
they don't give refunds either

gotta love Matrix

try emailing their support team and prostrating yourself before them

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

27 November 1942

Italian torpedo boat Circe, cut in half in collision with SS Citta di Tunisi in poorly-coordinated head-on meeting of two Italian convoys.

Today's major event, though, is the scuttling of the French fleet at Toulon to prevent seizure by the Germans.

Scuttled, not salvaged
Battleships Provence, Dunkerque, and Strasbourg (latter two also frequently referred to as battlecruisers).
Cruisers Algérie, Colbert, Dupleix, Foch, and Marseillaise.
Flotilla leaders (essentially large destroyers) Aigle, Cassard, Gerfaut, Guépard, Kersaint, Lynx, Mogador, Tartu, Vauban, Vauquelin, Vautour, Verdun, and Volta.
Destroyers Casque, Mameluck, Le Bordelais, Le Mars, and La Palme.
Torpedo boat La Poursuivante.
Seaplane carrier Commandant Teste.
Avisos (small patrol craft such as minesweepers) D'Iberville, Les Eparges, and Yser.

Refloated but not returned to service
Cruisers Jean de Vienne and La Galissoničre.
Flotilla leaders Panthčre and Valmy.
Destroyers Siroco, L'Adroit, Cyclone, Bison, Foudroyant, and Le Hardi.
Avisos L'Impétueuse and Dédaigneuse.

Recommissioned into Axis navies
Flotilla leaders Lion, Tigre, and L'Indomptable.
Destroyer Trombe.
Torpedo boats Baliste and La Bayonnaise.
Avisos Chamois, Granit and La Curieuse.

Fifty-two warships scuttled in total.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A fair number of those "Scuttled, not salvaged" ships were, in fact, refloated in '43 by the Italians with at least some in decent enough shape that returning them to service was considered, though the armistice ended any of those plans. Hell, the Allies raised Commandant Teste as second time (after being sunk again in '44) after the war and considered a CVE/CVT conversion of her, before finally consigning the ship to be a storage ship for a few years.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Italian torpedo boat Circe, cut in half in collision with SS Citta di Tunisi in poorly-coordinated head-on meeting of two Italian convoys.

Oh, Italy. :allears: :italy:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Refloating ships for salvage is good and cool unless you're doing it to war graves.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Refloating ships for salvage is good and cool unless you're doing it to war graves.

Why?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A) Borderline free (at least compared to having to mine, refine, and ship them otherwise) materials are good and cool, but
B) Disturbing graves

We're not QUITE desperate enough for that, give the planet a few more decades of reckless resource depletion before we start melting gravesites down into toy cars.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
One of the war conventions. Also this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37997640

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Nobody can top the British for naval gently caress ups. Nobody. :britain:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3414

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

From a legal standpoint, ships that are war graves are also still the property of the nation they sailed under. So salvaging them without the approval of said nation is blatantly illegal by international law as well.

These also aren't professional salvaging companies pulling this poo poo, so the methods they use are incredibly primitive as well. A lot of those sunken ships still have large quantities of oil locked away in them, and the brute force methods the salvagers use are just blindly blowing new rents in the ship to knock salvage loose. Repulse and Prince of Wales are of particular concern, given their size and them sitting at both a relatively accessible depth and not in particularly well-policed waters. There's already oil leaking from them from illegal salvaging efforts in the last few years, and if one of these jackasses accidentally blows a huge hole in one of the larger reservoirs within, you're looking at a potential ecological disaster.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

A) Borderline free (at least compared to having to mine, refine, and ship them otherwise) materials are good and cool, but
B) Disturbing graves

We're not QUITE desperate enough for that, give the planet a few more decades of reckless resource depletion before we start melting gravesites down into toy cars.

Uh... I hate to burst your bubble here, but its already happening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/11187603/Celebrated-British-warships-being-stripped-bare-for-scrap-metal.html

Prince of Wales and Repulse are being illegally salvaged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/16/three-dutch-second-world-war-shipwrecks-vanish-java-sea-indonesia

Dutch ships from the Battle of the Java sea being illegally salvaged.

Theyre even salvaging Jutland wrecks illegally.

http://thepipeline.info/blog/2016/05/22/exclusive-named-the-salvage-company-which-looted-jutland-war-graves-as-mod-fails-to-act/

So yeah, if salvagers can get to them to make a quick buck, they're already doing it.

Although, good luck with salvaging Bismarck and Yorktown and stuff, since theyre quite a bit deeper than the ones above.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh I know it's happening, just saying it probably shouldn't.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That poo poo is valuable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Didn't we have this exact conversation a week or two ago, or was that the MilHist thread?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Avisos aren't minesweepers. They're the size of a destroyer, roughly, and have similar-sized main armament. Late avisos carried an aircraft, and no torpedoes. They were over crewed and extremely slow with very long range. The Bougainville class made 17.5 knots. They were used as despatch boats and show-the-flag patrol boats in colonial areas. Two Bougainville class avisos fought a single ship action in a somewhat unique occurence. The Vichy aviso won.

Edit: got it backwards the free French aviso won

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 29, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unfortunately it's a dual issue of many of the waters in the South Pacific where the vessels sunk are controlled by countries that are too corrupt, have too weak a navy/coast guard and/or just don't give a poo poo to stop this stuff, and the governments of Commonwealth countries in particular have been extremely weak at leaning on them or actually enforcing their rights. In addition to that unbelievable poo poo about Jutland ships getting salvaged - and while not in England's territorial waters, that's close enough that there's no way in hell that should have happened and then not been prosecuted - see Australia's response to HMAS Perth getting salvaged. Utterly pathetic response.

Crazycryodude posted:

Didn't we have this exact conversation a week or two ago, or was that the MilHist thread?

Must have been MilHis, because it definitely didn't happen in this thread.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

There's already oil leaking from them from illegal salvaging efforts in the last few years, and if one of these jackasses accidentally blows a huge hole in one of the larger reservoirs within, you're looking at a potential ecological disaster.
The US Navy removed the remaining oil from the oiler USS Mississinewa to prevent such.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

I think it was the Airpower/Cold War thread, but yeah.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I had no idea "War Grave" was even a term. How dumb that you a nation expects to leave contaminants and raw materials and yet demand that no one touch them. Screw them, they never should have been out colonizing in the first place.

Does this happen on land?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TildeATH posted:

I had no idea "War Grave" was even a term. How dumb that you a nation expects to leave contaminants and raw materials and yet demand that no one touch them. Screw them, they never should have been out colonizing in the first place.

Graverobbing? Of course.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

I think it was the Airpower/Cold War thread, but yeah.

It came up in both.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Avisos aren't minesweepers. They're the size of a destroyer, roughly, and have similar-sized main armament. Late avisos carried an aircraft, and no torpedoes. They were over crewed and extremely slow with very long range. The Bougainville class made 17.5 knots. They were used as despatch boats and show-the-flag patrol boats in colonial areas. Two Bougainville class avisos fought a single ship action in a somewhat unique occurence. The Vichy aviso won.

Edit: got it backwards the free French aviso won

Several of the avisos listed are, in fact, minesweepers (e.g. Granit, L'Impétueuse). Others are closer to something like a Flower or Black Swan (e.g. D'Iberville). Listed ships range from about 250 tons to nearly 2000 tons. The description was intended to be illustrative rather than exhaustive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Sort of, I think crashed warplanes where the bodies weren't removed at the time are supposed to be left alone, too.

I think it's an understandable sentiment, but not practical or reasonable when you're talking about hundreds or thousands of sunk ships amounting to millions of tons of recyclables. Because mining metal ore and then refining it kills people and uses massive amounts of energy, and those sailors who went down with their ships are long gone now, I doubt even bones remain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

It came up in both.

Several of the avisos listed are, in fact, minesweepers (e.g. Granit, L'Impétueuse). Others are closer to something like a Flower or Black Swan (e.g. D'Iberville). Listed ships range from about 250 tons to nearly 2000 tons. The description was intended to be illustrative rather than exhaustive.

Colonial Avisos are just kind of neat so your shouldn't lump them in with stupid minesweepers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Saint Celestine posted:

Although, good luck with salvaging Bismarck and Yorktown and stuff, since theyre quite a bit deeper than the ones above.

When Ballard originally found the Bismark he basically was under instructions to not reveal the co-ordinates for it until the German government said it was allowed.

*siderant* Ballard is also more than a bit of a jerk, they did some metallurgy on Titanic hull pieces where I used to work and he was a royal PITA to work with.