Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
those being the credit and debit dimensions, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my mother tells me that office work is more bearable if it's not filing paperwork all day every day, but if an office job that isn't that exists i haven't seen it yet. she also says it helps if you're allowed to leave the premises and go for a walk at lunchtime, which for security reasons i am not so from 7am to 4pm every day i'm confined to a single building and the narrow unshaded footpath around its perimeter, we're not legally allowed to go further than the footpath. also my office has no windows, playing music or wearing headphones is not allowed, laptop computers are not allowed, and i generally don't see anyone at all for most of the day and when i do it's my boss, who is an engineer and an emotionless robot, or a miner freaking out because they can't find a very specific piece of paperwork which 9 times out of 10 eventually shows up in their office

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
This week we are going to read Four Quartets, next week we shall look at the Unreal Engine, in this literature survey course

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

my mother tells me that office work is more bearable if it's not filing paperwork all day every day, but if an office job that isn't that exists i haven't seen it yet. she also says it helps if you're allowed to leave the premises and go for a walk at lunchtime, which for security reasons i am not so from 7am to 4pm every day i'm confined to a single building and the narrow unshaded footpath around its perimeter, we're not legally allowed to go further than the footpath. also my office has no windows, playing music or wearing headphones is not allowed, laptop computers are not allowed, and i generally don't see anyone at all for most of the day and when i do it's my boss, who is an engineer and an emotionless robot, or a miner freaking out because they can't find a very specific piece of paperwork which 9 times out of 10 eventually shows up in their office

what the hell. i worked in a nuclear power plant and they weren't so restrictive.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

HD is good though, everyone should read HD

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

wtf no music is absurd

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
avs you didn't say you were getting moved to manus island

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
imo if all you are doing is filing, they should let you straight up watch netflix at the same time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
weirdly the office computers allow me to use the forums, but only for an hour per day

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

So if you don't see anyone all day who's going to stop you from listening to music?

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
company only sprung for the 100mb a day internet package

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Matoi Ryuko posted:

So if you don't see anyone all day who's going to stop you from listening to music?
no one except my boss, matoi

also people in america will be very familiar with this - i am not allowed to have any time off, i had to take two days a few weeks ago (my only two in three months) and the agency immediately threatened to fire me

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeesh, that job sounds like it's designed for turnover

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I'm carrying ten vacation days over into next year, which will give me a total of 34 PTO days for 2017

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
take a whole month off

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Aeryk posted:

take a whole month off

This is the correct answer and make sure it's a month with a lot of holidays in it so you can stretch those PTO hours as far as you can.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Wow my whole town just lost power and it keeps coming back on for like 1 sec and then off again I'm right in the middle of cooking dinner too

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's still less claustrophobic than my last job, where the manager, the other manager, the manager's assistant and me all sat in a tiny room a few feet away from each other and in between trying to explain to me that chinese people don't feel human emotion and accusing me of stealing company information to sell to the competitors both managers would watch my screen constantly and if i was looking at anything suspicious they'd interrogate me about it, even though obviously i wasn't game to actually bludge in that environment so it was always something work-related

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Okay it's back. This town has power problems sometimes.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think you should watch office space. It's a documentary.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'm real sorry your job sucks avshalom

can u read books

can u bring a bunch of books in to read

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
i wonder how corporations will try to police our neural net implants in the future. eye focus monitoring or something

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Aeryk posted:

i wonder how corporations will try to police our neural net implants in the future. eye focus monitoring or something

Watch ghost in the shell stand alone complex.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Chelb posted:

I'm real sorry your job sucks avshalom

can u read books

can u bring a bunch of books in to read
no

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
hmmmm

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

that just doesn't sound like a healthy or worthwhile environment to work in avs.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

im also taking two weeks off starting next WEEK, and going ot the drat beach

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it makes me feel better when people say my job sounds horrible because that implies there are non-horrible jobs out there to compare it to, and that even though every job i've ever had has been surreally awful i might someday stumble on one that's not

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
it seems australia is just designed to be as alienating as possible

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I spent all day looking at invoices and making sure they were correct and just like doing math.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

it makes me feel better when people say my job sounds horrible because that implies there are non-horrible jobs out there to compare it to, and that even though every job i've ever had has been surreally awful i might someday stumble on one that's not

poo poo, everyone i work with has facebook up on their work computers constantly. i don't know what the hell is wrong with the australian mining industry

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Do you think like judge dredd is going to be there checking you for books each day

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I spent all day looking at invoices and making sure they were correct and just like doing math.

A/R, A/P or both?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

AARP

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Horseshoe theory posted:

A/R, A/P or both?

A/R

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Make sure you're collecting the right amount of sales tax! :argh:

Yes, I will make old folks pay. :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

im also taking two weeks off starting next WEEK, and going ot the drat beach

Which beach are you going to in december

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I take it you've got the dadchat spreadsheet now that tess has stopped posting here?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

the bahamas my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I take it you've got the dadchat spreadsheet now that tess has stopped posting here?

no he gave it to randler

who else would want to keep tabs on all the dadchat minorities

• Locked thread