Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Overlord K posted:

This is the most boring episode ever

I'm watching it at the moment. And while I will not disagree with your statement, what do you want from this show?
1 hour of stabbing zombies non stop each week?

Holy gently caress people, its called character development.

Lycus posted:

How many communities in the area did Aaron fail to find?

All of them, it seems.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Kinda feels like the only worth while episodes to watch are the season openers, mid-season finale and season finale

Everything else is pretty poo poo. Does anyone actually care about these character centric episodes? They do it every season.

"The group split up so let's spend multiple episodes around lovely characters nobody cares about"

TwoDogs1Cup fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 28, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dalael posted:

I'm watching it at the moment. And while I will not disagree with your statement, what do you want from this show?
1 hour of stabbing zombies non stop each week?

Holy gently caress people, its called character development.

Thing is TWD's character development is awful and boring. If they mixed it in with a decent amount of action and plot development (say by not drawing their source material out over 16 episode seasons) it would be a bit more bearable.

TOOT BOOT posted:

No the point is to split up the main cast and have as few expensive actors as possible per episode. They have so many small groups of people to cover its ridiculous now.

GoT has a lot of different groups to cover and still manages to not be boring as gently caress.

quote:

We'll be seeing Rick like once every 5 episodes now.

Good, Rick sucks

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 28, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wafflecopper posted:

Thing is TWD's character development is awful and boring. If they mixed it in with a decent amount of action and plot development (say by not drawing their source material out over 16 episode seasons) it would be a bit more bearable.

GoT has a lot of different groups to cover and still manages to not be boring as gently caress.

Good, Rick sucks

You obviously have never watched Naruto/DBZ if you think TWD is drawn out...

I think this episode was bad, but not nearly has bad as people are making it out to be.
Would I watch it again? gently caress no. But still, it could have been way worse.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dalael posted:

You obviously have never watched Naruto/DBZ if you think TWD is drawn out...

Are you parody posting? I am watching your posts with the same disbelief that I watched this episode. "how can anything be this bad"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Parity warning posted:

Are you parody posting? I am watching your posts with the same disbelief that I watched this episode. "how can anything be this bad"

Naruto has like, 3 episodes of two dudes staring at each other. Now that's drawn out.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Dalael posted:

Naruto has like, 3 episodes of two dudes staring at each other. Now that's drawn out.

So why did you watch it?

This episode was awful. Comparing it to the terrible pacing of YA anime somehow doesn't help.

Edit: I'm preemptively going answer the logical response: I'm still watching this show because I didn't realize until just this episode how bad this season is.

Probably won't bother next week

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 28, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did the previews for last night showed anything from the episode? Because I'm pretty sure they spent all of last week promoting next week's episode and dropped this one on us as a surprise.

A terrible, really bad surprise.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

So why did you watch it?

This episode was awful. Comparing it to the terrible pacing of YA anime somehow doesn't help.

Edit: I'm preemptively going answer the logical response: I'm still watching this show because I didn't realize until just this episode how bad this season is.

Probably won't bother next week

I had given up watching this show somewhere in season 5. Then I started season 6 and gave up again.
I decided to watch the first of Season 7 to see what they did with Negan and have kept up with it so far.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Kinda feels like the only worth while episodes to watch are the season openers, mid-season finale and season finale

Everything else is pretty poo poo. Does anyone actually care about these character centric episodes? They do it every season.

"The group split up so let's spend multiple episodes around lovely characters nobody cares about"

It wouldn't be so bad if the episodes went anywhere, but I'm reminded of the Beth episodes last season. All the build up about the hotel and the secrets there and then oh Beth is dead now and we'll all agree to never go back there or talk about them again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

No the point is to split up the main cast and have as few expensive actors as possible per episode. They have so many small groups of people to cover its ridiculous now. We'll be seeing Rick like once every 5 episodes now.

This seems to be the case. I mean poo poo, I pointed out weeks ago that they were gonna cycle through individual stories--but even I'd forgotten about Tara and Heath going away and thought they'd be back to Daryl or Carol/Morgan by now. And now of course since Coral and Jesus have left the group, they get their own episode next week. :downs: Hooray for not advancing the plot!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They could have skipped all the Mexican-standoff-without-a-gun scenes and just fully explained the backstory of the village at the dinner table, if they needed exposition. Also, all the long scenes like the opening where they called a walker a "bobber" were twice as long as they needed to be. All the dialog concerning the woman that "betrayed" the community to help Tara was really repetitive. It's not that there's "too much character development"; it's that it's redundant character development. 80% of "you'd better not tell the community" could have been canned and we'd have gotten the point. This episode could have been half of its length. The only the scenes that didn't need editing for time were the ones with Heath and Tara or at the bridge.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

galenanorth posted:

They could have skipped all the Mexican-standoff-without-a-gun scenes and just fully explained the backstory of the village at the dinner table, if they needed exposition. Also, all the long scenes like the opening where they called a walker a "bobber" were twice as long as they needed to be. All the dialog concerning the woman that "betrayed" the community to help Tara was really repetitive. It's not that there's "too much character development"; it's that it's redundant character development. 80% of "you'd better not tell the community" could have been canned and we'd have gotten the point. This episode could have been half of its length. The only the scenes that didn't need editing for time were the ones with Heath and Tara or at the bridge.

I didn't mind the episode per se. I thought the opening was intriguing, with new characters we'd never met. Meeting a new community was interesting too. What's a drag is it didn't advance the overall arc of Rick and Co get their mojo back and defeat Negan. It was particularly a slap in the face seeing Previouslys with them being badass and speedrunning through the Savior satellite station.

I think part of the problem is that the producers get these high concept ideas of "OK, let's set something up and we'll build it up over a long time and it will be totally cool!" but it drags out and falls flat. Glenn not dying at the dumpster was another example. Maybe it's because half of the producers are comic book guys (Kirkman, Gimple, Alpert) and one is a makeup artist (Nicotero) and they don't get pacing as much as an experienced tv showrunner would. They have Gale Ann Hurd who's produced a shitload of iconic stuff, but it's all films so she probably doesn't get episodic tv either.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does TV budgeting mean they would have to pay more royalties if cast members appeared in more episodes even if they had filmed the exact same amount?

I bet you could do a pretty decent Game of Thrones style edit of this season up to now where every character appears each episode for a few minutes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't watched this episode but I am working on a good Gallagher gif

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Are we supposed to care about this new group? We all know they are just going to be cannon fodder for when they finally attack the saviors, maybe having one or two join the main cast after all their friends die.

The sand zombies annoyed me too for the same reason the mud zombie in the governor season did. What were they doing in there the whole time, sleeping? Every other zombie is always thrashing around, there would never be that many perfectly still zombies embedded in sand waiting for someone to come by.

Also "bobbers" is by far the dumbest "we're not saying zombie" name yet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

How many communities in the area did Aaron fail to find?

At least this time they explained that it was really far out. A two week journey from Alexandria. I can believe that that's outside of Aaron's regular range.

galenanorth posted:

Absolutely. The entire bit with Tara sneaking around the village was pointless. We didn't learn anything about the village that wasn't shown at another point in the episode

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I kinda like Tara. The sarcasm, the aloofness, flipping off a dour little kid... she's fun. I was sad to see weirdo sunglasses lesbian chilling out in the apocalypse get hit with crying and drama and depression as soon as she meets up with the rest of the cast. Back to staring sadly off into space like the others.

The non-linear storytelling makes zero sense here and I have no idea why they did it. It's been like 8 months since Tara's been on TV so the in media res they were going for didn't have me waiting to find out what happened but rather made me assume I just forgot.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Are we supposed to care about this new group? We all know they are just going to be cannon fodder for when they finally attack the saviors, maybe having one or two join the main cast after all their friends die.

The sand zombies annoyed me too for the same reason the mud zombie in the governor season did. What were they doing in there the whole time, sleeping? Every other zombie is always thrashing around, there would never be that many perfectly still zombies embedded in sand waiting for someone to come by.

Also "bobbers" is by far the dumbest "we're not saying zombie" name yet.

That pile of sand must have weighted many tons. If there's a complaint to be made about that part, its that the zombies should have been completely crushed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dalael posted:

That pile of sand must have weighted many tons. If there's a complaint to be made about that part, its that the zombies should have been completely crushed.

If they were all on the bottom of it, sure (but it seemed like they were pretty evenly distributed through it - the ones near the top certainly should have been able to wiggle out). Really my problem is wondering what they were doing in there in the first place? They can't climb so they didn't all fall into it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If they were all on the bottom of it, sure (but it seemed like they were pretty evenly distributed through it - the ones near the top certainly should have been able to wiggle out). Really my problem is wondering what they were doing in there in the first place? They can't climb so they didn't all fall into it.

Its just speculation, but: The camp that was there got overrun with zombies, tried to fight them off and unloaded a dumptruck worth of sand on them.

Its the only thing I can think of.

Also.. doesn't that bridge/camp look very familiar? Didn't we see this camp in one of the earlier season.. like season 3 I think?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dalael posted:

Also.. doesn't that bridge/camp look very familiar? Didn't we see this camp in one of the earlier season.. like season 3 I think?

They might have reused a shooting location, but I doubt it's a camp we've seen before unless Tara & Heath drove all the way to Atlanta for supplies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hobo Clown posted:

I kinda like Tara. The sarcasm, the aloofness, flipping off a dour little kid... she's fun. I was sad to see weirdo sunglasses lesbian chilling out in the apocalypse get hit with crying and drama and depression as soon as she meets up with the rest of the cast. Back to staring sadly off into space like the others.

The non-linear storytelling makes zero sense here and I have no idea why they did it. It's been like 8 months since Tara's been on TV so the in media res they were going for didn't have me waiting to find out what happened but rather made me assume I just forgot.

Maybe because she just gave birth and was presumably pregnant for a large part of filming? It's not uncommon for actors to take time off for that. I can't think of another explanation so if there is one, I'd be curious as well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe because she just gave birth and was presumably pregnant for a large part of filming? It's not uncommon for actors to take time off for that. I can't think of another explanation so if there is one, I'd be curious as well.

They could just do like they did when the actress who played Daphne in Frasier got pregnant; do a storyline about her getting enormously fat

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Where was this filmed? Looked like no beach I've seen near VA and the jungle looked like something out of vietnam.

edit: I was honestly surprised that after Tara bragged about the group wiping out the whole satellite station, that the leader didn't pull out a gun, tell her it was their husbands they killed, and put a bullet in her head.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 28, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

delfin posted:

You have completed the Epic Lesbian Sidequest!
<Your score just went up.>

Should have bought the map DLC instead. Sitting and/or walking in circles in Georgia is pretty stale by now.

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Where was this filmed? Looked like no beach I've seen near VA and the jungle looked like something out of vietnam.

It's all still filmed in Georgia. The beach scene was filmed at Jekyll Island. Georgia Atlantic coast is really cool looking.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Did Heath always talk like batman or is that a new thing hes just trying out

I can't remember because he hadnt been on the show in fuckin forever.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I didn't hate the concept of this episode, it could have been fine for what it was. I like world-building, the sets were really neat, and the final scene when Tara returns with the bobblehead for Denice ("I said I loved her but I didn't mean it!") was well-done.

I'm really surprised this writing staff managed to show in only a minute or two how Tara returns home, learns about everything that has happened and reacts realistically without a single word of dialogue rehashing things we as the audience already understood. It might be the first time they've done that in 7 seasons come to think of it.

The dialogue was freaking terrible for most of the episode though.

"You're just like everybody else Tara" Tell me Heath! "No it's not important never mind! I know what we all are"
"Oh hey I'm just wandering through, it's cool, right? Ok or not just keep pointing guns at me *heh heh heh* It's cool right?"
"The last one, definitely that last one"

Beatrice and Tara should have hooked up

Randandal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 28, 2016

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why did Heath decide to put a dress on in the middle of fighting those zombies?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is bad

real bad

but does anyone else find it at least watchable when the main crew is wrecking poo poo? Maybe it's the huge payoff after ten episodes of nothing and loving around and all but I just feel sick pleasure when they murder some piece of poo poo dunces they should have murdered ten episodes ago.

I'm going off just by a semi-forced rewatch (a girl, shut up) but those are the only moments when I really, really like this show.

EDIT: Also seems to weirdly correlate with how much of a beard Rick has

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 28, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did the previews for last night showed anything from the episode? Because I'm pretty sure they spent all of last week promoting next week's episode and dropped this one on us as a surprise.

A terrible, really bad surprise.

If you havent noticed, they have been doing that for every single episode. First episodes preview was Negan going to Alexandaria. Happened on the 4th episode or something. Next episode is only about heath, they are just showing the season finale trailers early.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 28, 2016

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
As someone who watches this show in fragments, this season is a reminder why I stopped watching it entirely for a good a year and a half. I know enough to care/be interested about the main arc, but all these episodes devoted to second/third tier characters seems like a brutal waste of time.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This episode was successful because it managed to tell a whole story in one episode which is a miracle.

At this rate I don't even think the season will manage to tell a cohesive story. Even with the abundant extended episodes.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Dalael posted:

Its just speculation, but: The camp that was there got overrun with zombies, tried to fight them off and unloaded a dumptruck worth of sand on them.

Its the only thing I can think of.

This was probably the biggest :wtf: moment for me. I've worked on a few construction sites, and even if you yank something out from the bottom, it's not gonna cause a loving avalanche. It was so frustrating watching Tara struggle with all her might to get out from under loose sand.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I love that Oceanside talks about how secretive they are, but they must have to kill people who wander in all the time. Because one of their defenses is GIANT BELLS AND HORNS THAT THEY BLAST FULL VOLUME.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Parity warning posted:

Lmao

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This might be the worst episode ever in the history of the walking dead

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

They gotta stop with the one character a week episode thing. Gimple please watch Game of Thrones and see how to do intersecting storylines. I even liked this episode though I forgot Tara existed and I don't remember who the black dude was, but gently caress I'm tired of nothing happening until the finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
how can you have forgotten heath

eugene gave him mad respect for his hair game and everything