Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is competitively speaking only, in-game mega-garchomp would be better but I think garchompite was postgame only so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Does the level of Meowth with Pickup matter or affect Pickup in any way?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Lady posted:

Hey, I said I wasn't an expert :shepface:

That makes two of us curious about it, then.

Countblanc posted:

It loses Speed, access to a held item so you can't really run bulky chomp sets, and arguably gets a worse ability (or at least a less splashable one). Basically no one uses Mega Garchomp and not just because it occupies your mega slot. Same goes for Mega Tyranitar, unless you want to run a Dragon Dance set there's basically no reason to look at it.

They likely gave them to pokemon people liked, and despite this thread's pleas to the contrary, this game's primary demographic - little babies - love strong badass pokemon.

Countblanc posted:

Mega Garchomp hits like a loving bus but loses out on his crisp 102 Speed tier, which is even worse now that your speed is recalculated the moment you mega evolve. Giving up item slots is also a lot more meaningful in the post-game stuff since during the campaign it usually just means "oh I guess my Hypno is holding a Twisted Spoon now" rather than possibly defining something's entire role on your team like physically bulky Rocky Helmet Garchomp (whose purpose is to mess with things that spam low power physical moves like Fake Out, U-Turn, and Power-Up Punch by making them take a quarter of their HP every time they use one between Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet).

There's some other reasons but basically

1) he loses his amazing speed tier
2) he loses access to an item
2b) he loses the ability to run bulky sets w/ rocky helmet
3) there are better megas and you can only have one

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

that's what the balloon is for

Doesn't work like that. Anything that's on the ground is protected by psychic terrain. If a pokemon is flying or whatever, they can still be hit by priority moves. A flying pokemon won't be able to use priority moves on ground targets; they just won't have protection.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh i read it wrong

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't work like that. Anything that's on the ground is protected by psychic terrain. If a pokemon is flying or whatever, they can still be hit by priority moves. A flying pokemon won't be able to use priority moves on ground targets; they just won't have protection.

Obviously the answer is to use Trick to give Tapu Lele the Balloon. This plan is infallible! :master:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Metagross has a mega evo? I thought he was already one of those grossly powerful overused Pokemons.
Like I don't understand what decides if a Pokemon gets a megaevo. You have the ones that, nostalgia wise, make sense (Gen I starters, Mewtwo), and stat wise too because their original forms loving suckkkk (beedrill, Pidgeot, Steelix) and even some that I guess were added just for flavor (Ampharos, Gen IV starters, Camerupt, a couple more) but why do these absolute fucker monsters like Tyranitar, Metagross, Alakazam, a lot more) get to be even loving stronger than they already were

Popularity.

Metagross, Alakazam, Gengar, all those guys are popular dudes and so they get a Mega form so people can have a new way to play around with some old favourites. Also because it's cool to be like, "poo poo man I really like Scizor and now it's got a new form which is even stronger! I can't wait to use my old pal again!!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got my shiny charm and started chaining cutieflies like 2+ hours ago. Wonder how long this'll take.

I also wonder if Ribombee is even any good, I just really like my noodlebug friends

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

"poo poo man I really like Pinsir and now it's got a new form which is even stronger! I can't wait to use my old pal again!!"

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Popularity.

Metagross, Alakazam, Gengar, all those guys are popular dudes and so they get a Mega form so people can have a new way to play around with some old favourites. Also because it's cool to be like, "poo poo man I really like Scizor and now it's got a new form which is even stronger! I can't wait to use my old pal again!!"

except its gamefreak and they probably didn't put that much thought into it. Maybe with the gen1 megas but after that I think it was just throwing darts at a board.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got my shiny charm and started chaining cutieflies like 2+ hours ago. Wonder how long this'll take.

I also wonder if Ribombee is even any good, I just really like my noodlebug friends

Survey says: Pretty good! A bit niche, but it can work with that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

cancerianmoth posted:

except its gamefreak and they probably didn't put that much thought into it. Maybe with the gen1 megas but after that I think it was just throwing darts at a board.

They were throwing darts for Gen 1 too. Nobody was asking for Pidgeot or Beedrill to get megas...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Real talk though, Mega Steelix is probably the best looking mega guy followed by Ampharos based on glorious mane and worst looking there are too many to count

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

metagross was super mediocre in ou before it got a mega and also most of the mega designs are good-great

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

best: mega medicham, pinsir, gardevoir

good: the rest

bad: sharpedo, scizor

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Megas because it gave me reason to try out Mawile and Sableye who I always thought looked like cool guys but never ended up using. And they turned out to be true and good friends who I will now always appreciate.

Megas are cool. I can't wait to see Mega Torterra in the Sinnoh remakes!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ruggington posted:

metagross was super mediocre in ou before it got a mega and also most of the mega designs are good-great

Yeah but then explain Manectrite and Salamence

(Mega Medicham is really really cool looking I agree)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i never want to look at a non-ssj2 pidgeot again

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but then explain Manectrite and Salamence

(Mega Medicham is really really cool looking I agree)

Maybe like with most pokemon, some megas are bad, but most are good.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TaurusOxford posted:

They were throwing darts for Gen 1 too. Nobody was asking for Pidgeot or Beedrill to get megas...

I was

I was asking for Beedrill to get a mega

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

everyone was actually

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've got a bunch of breeding rejects lying around and would like to know if anyone's interested in them before I WT them all.

12 Modest Popplio
3 Modest Grubbin (Net Ball)
5 Timid Female Salandit (Nest Ball)
5 Timid, Shield Dust, Moonblast Cutiefly (Heal Ball)
7 Adamant, Aqua Jet Wimpod (Quick Ball)
1 Timid, Competitive, Dark Pulse Gothita (Beast Ball)

2380-3485-3206
Gwyn

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Hello.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I was

I was asking for Beedrill to get a mega

seriously, who the gently caress doesn't like Beedrill? Show yourselves, you monsters

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Alright gently caress whoever at GameFreak made the decision to hard code Necrozma to not be an Ultra Beast. Finally caught the fucker in a Best Ball though, not gonna let the game stop me!

So my living dex is as done as I can get it at this point. Still need to evolve Cosmog and Type:Null and need one more of each, don't have the Moon exclusive UB's or Lunala. Not too bad. I may just go ahead and pick up my own copy of Moon for those last few myself. Gotta keep the naming conventions consistent!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Axel Serenity posted:

seriously, who the gently caress doesn't like Beedrill? Show yourselves, you monsters

I would have much preferred Beedrill and Pidgeot being given stat buffs.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

no guard hurricanes and murderous u-turns own

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here's a murderous U-turn: singles is actually good and not boring

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that's not true by the way it was just a joke

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scanning random QR codes and one of them gave me Xatu and they still have it in the air like sky battles are still a thing. Why Gamefreak

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

haha i agree friend

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

that's not true by the way it was just a joke

huh?1 what the!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:twisted:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

huh?1 what the!?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TaurusOxford posted:

I would have much preferred Beedrill and Pidgeot being given stat buffs.

They both did in Gen VI. Beedrill got +10 attack and Pidgeot got +10 speed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

oddium posted:

oddium I would like you to know that although I don't actively say it I do appreciate your posts.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope so, shiny Ribombee is like the cutest thing ever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

I got one, no reason you shouldn't. poo poo's bizarre, I can get anything for a castform somehow.

I just got a Garchomp for one. Shouldn't these shits be equally hard to get.
I, uh, got that Lunala too. Time to try for a Type: Null, I guess?

Like, are there really crafty Japanese hackers making non-nicknamed non-shiny Ultra Ball legendaries with bad natures and IVs and actually this Solgaleo is even Spanish, what the hell, seriously, who wants Castforms so badly?!@

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 29, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just got a shiny Stufful through Wondertrade! with five EVs, Pokerus, four egg moves, correct nature, and Fluffy, so it's quite obviously hacked.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just got a shiny Stufful through Wondertrade! with five EVs, Pokerus, four egg moves, correct nature, and Fluffy, so it's quite obviously hacked.

:toot:

none of those would be hard to get together except shiny