Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Can't wait until Kung Fu joins the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Demicol posted:

They're all gonna get similarly colored love interests aren't they.

Hikaru's true love is her dog

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I could totally imagine a 90s dub calling some japanese food "taco pie"

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Robert Denby posted:

Now that the other character on this ad has shown up, here's an actual magazine ad for the VHS release of "Magic Knight Rayearth". Check out those prices!

belief is powe r

$39.95 for seven episodes on VHS, dub only. Adjusted for inflation that's $57.97. And there's some office space for rent at where AnimeWorks (A Division of Media Blasters) used to be.

Got that ad from this site, which has a ton of amazing magazine scans that I've purloined for ANIME NITE extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQiSGb4Luw

Seven episodes is incredible, most individual tapes were 3-4 episodes tops. poo poo like Evangelion took up entire shelves.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Nice. By the way, Princess Emeraude is what the Tokyopop translation used so it's weird to me that the game calls her Emerald. There's other translation differences I've noticed as well and at least one of them, I think, is for the worse (but the reason why is a spoiler).

I should probably stop commenting now before I give the impression that I'm any kind of authority on Rayearth.

Edit: Moist? Seriously?

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 29, 2016

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I don't really know much about Rayearth, but I thought Mokona was like, literally God. Or this universe's equivalent.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

did they copypaste the shoulderpads for her eyes

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Suspicious Dish posted:

did they copypaste the shoulderpads for her eyes

There's an excellent chance that they did.

There's also a modest chance that the artist drew some eyes, said to him/herself "those eyes are ok, but you know what's better than ok? Shoulderpads." and then proceeded to painstakingly draw shoulderpad eyes. I find this less likely, but then again if you're an artist and you have as much of a shoulderpad fetish as this game has, anything is possible.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Kaasen posted:

Nice. By the way, Princess Emeraude is what the Tokyopop translation used so it's weird to me that the game calls her Emerald. There's other translation differences I've noticed as well and at least one of them, I think, is for the worse (but the reason why is a spoiler).

I should probably stop commenting now before I give the impression that I'm any kind of authority on Rayearth.

Edit: Moist? Seriously?

Consistent name translations and Rayearth apparently don't mix. Tokyopop had them alternately looking for Escude and Escudo, and I can think of one character in particular who had at least three different spellings of her name over the course of the six volumes of the manga.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think Cassie needs to have a mic

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

ZeeToo posted:

Consistent name translations and Rayearth apparently don't mix. Tokyopop had them alternately looking for Escude and Escudo, and I can think of one character in particular who had at least three different spellings of her name over the course of the six volumes of the manga.

Wow, I forgot all about that. Admittedly, I also forgot like, 80% of the events that happen in between the girls leaving the Forest of Silence and the end of the first series, so...

By the way, I looked up the princess' name in Japanese and it's Emerodo. So that means her English name was intended to end in a "road" sound and that Emeraude is more correct than Emerald.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kaasen posted:

Wow, I forgot all about that. Admittedly, I also forgot like, 80% of the events that happen in between the girls leaving the Forest of Silence and the end of the first series, so...

By the way, I looked up the princess' name in Japanese and it's Emerodo. So that means her English name was intended to end in a "road" sound and that Emeraude is more correct than Emerald.

No, it means that the japanese writers didn't know how to spell emerald

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
This actually seems kinda fun?? whoa

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Here's another ad for the VHS release. A two-page spread!

Other anime events in 1999: US theatrical releases of "Princess Mononoke" and the first "Pokemon" movie.

Also there was a three year gap between this game's release in Japan and the US. It came out in August 1995 in Japan and November 1998 in the US, so you didn't have to wait too long to see the series come out on VHS.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

GeneX posted:

No, it means that the japanese writers didn't know how to spell emerald

Well, or they were going for the French pronunciation instead of the English one.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
In my country the girls names were changed from the original.
Hikaru was Lucy (lux = light, so kinda translates)
Umi was Marin (like marine, kinda translates also)
God knows what Fuu's name was... Can't remember.

But the world was translated to Zephyr. Which... Actually is cefiro in Japanese backwards translation.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thuryl posted:

Well, or they were going for the French pronunciation instead of the English one.
More specifically, the designers of the Mitsubishi Emeraude went for the French word. Yes, pretty much all the characters not named Light/Water/Wind are named after cars, or car things.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Miacis posted:

More specifically, the designers of the Mitsubishi Emeraude went for the French word. Yes, pretty much all the characters not named Light/Water/Wind are named after cars, or car things.

P.S. I erroneously stated that the Cefiro is a Mistubishi SUV, when it is in fact a Nissan sedan typically used for drifting:

I apologize for the incorrect facts presented in this LP

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

NeruVolpi posted:

In my country the girls names were changed from the original.
Hikaru was Lucy (lux = light, so kinda translates)
Umi was Marin (like marine, kinda translates also)
God knows what Fuu's name was... Can't remember.

But the world was translated to Zephyr. Which... Actually is cefiro in Japanese backwards translation.

Latin American Spanish? In that case, Fuu was Anaís.

Lucy, Anaís y Marina, ¡vencerán!
Lucy, Anaís y Marina, ¡lograran salvar a Céfiro del mal!
¡Luchando juntas nadie las podrá derrotar!

I had to look up the last line and I'm not sure if I'm proud or ashamed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what the gently caress is a Rayearth though

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
An earth projected infinitely in a single direction, duh

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
how much anime could Ken Burns' "the Civil War" on laserdisc net me

it's like 10 discs, that's got to be worth a full series of dragon ball z, minimum

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
As a Chemical engineer, just wanted this thread to know that today the new chemical element NIHONIUM was oficialized! :science:

It was always present in our lives, but never acknowledged :japan:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

NeruVolpi posted:

As a Chemical engineer, just wanted this thread to know that today the new chemical element NIHONIUM was oficialized! :science:

It was always present in our lives, but never acknowledged :japan:

I prefer the localization "japonium" better :colbert:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

MiniFoo posted:

I prefer the localization "japonium" better :colbert:

:airquote:Japanimation:airquote:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I was also a fan of Working Designs but could never afford a Saturn so never played any of their Saturn games.

But I watched the hell out of this anime with my then girlfriend in the late 90s. The only things I remember about it is that, like every CLAMP anime ever, it gets stupidly contrived and tragic in ways I cannot recall and that awesome flat plane pond in the forest. (It was a pond but it was two dimensional. It had no depth. It was a disk floating in the air that was a pond. :krad:)

Also holy gently caress these voice actors are bringing back memories.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Jenner posted:

Also holy gently caress these voice actors are bringing back memories.

These voice actors are completely different than the anime dub, though.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jenner posted:

The only things I remember about it is that, like every CLAMP anime ever, it gets stupidly contrived and tragic in ways I cannot recall

We've already started hitting that in session 2 and it owns owns owns

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

12/1 UPDATE

its finaly december which means xmas is coming up!!!!1

im guna ask my parent for a dreamcast cus it came out a few months ago and it looks like it has some great launch games like sonic adventure and house of the dead 2! i read an article in my friends game pro during recess about blue stinger and it looks super cool like resident evil but with dinosaurs!

rayearth continues to be confusing. there are 3 beds, why cant we sleep in them?
Ep 04 - It's a little sassy (google video beta)

(c) 1997 original website do not steal

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
~what a hunk~

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This game is a treasure.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Vicas posted:

We've already started hitting that in session 2 and it owns owns owns

Oh gosh I can't wait.

MiniFoo posted:

These voice actors are completely different than the anime dub, though.

Like Camel Pimp said, some of these VAs come from Working Designs' stable and voiced characters in other games they worked on. For example, Lunar: Eternal Blue. I have recognized Jennifer Stigile twice. (She's the voice of Jean and Ruby in EB and she is definitely the voice of Umi in this game.)

If you guys are down for playing some anime games you should try and get your hands on Popful Mail next because I think Panzer would love Mail. (She is 100% gently caress this poo poo, get paid.)

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 2, 2016

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

I still can't believe the surprise twist to this lp was that the game is actually good, and i'm enjoying it

Kuvo posted:

i asked panzer about it on icq and SHES ALREADY SEEN IT SOMEHOW AND HAS A GEOCITIES PAGE SETUP TOO? i did some personality test and got this result

D_W posted:

I can't believe Panzer's dog, Cassie, is more famous than she is. (actually yes I can.)

Vicas posted:

She's far more talented

Kuvo posted:

"Taco Pie"

Kuvo posted:

blue stinger

Woah woah what the gently caress why is this thread entirely about dragging my loving rear end

edit: here's my famous dog

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/797545162159308800

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Blue parents are the worst parents.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

have you ever had to fight Cassie in a swirly technicolor dreamscape while narrating with almost no emotional inflection whatsoever

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
You'll never make big escudo with speedrun tactics like that.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Okay, so fuu is an objectivist, hikaru was raised by dogs, and umi is in the wrong game

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I don't think Ascot's name was that in other versions, but I don't know what it was.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'm actually enjoying the aesthetics of this game way more than I expected to. It's all pretty charming and cute. Gameplay looks pretty good too, but the MGS4 level of cut scenes is kind of dampening my opinion of it. Great LP so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I love that Fuu immediately fought back against her mind demon.

• Locked thread