Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CISCO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I wonder if the weaponized alien killing gas will get any play during the rest of the crossover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I hope that all the crossovers are not like this with like 2 minutes of cross over in one episode then the last episode is every one.

Like you know flash is gonna be 90% just The Flash then he goes and gets Supergirl at the end of the episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The producers (if not the marketing people) were super upfront about how little this episode of Supergirl had to do with the event as a whole.

Also, Mon-El as the prince of Daxim theory confirmed?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Good new Mon-El, we were able to cure you. Great news J'onn, you won't be turning into a white martian either! Glad we could settle that plot super quick.

So if Cyborg Superman is a cyborg, why doesn't he have a kryptonian power source like Metallo? Get your poo poo together CADMUS.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good new Mon-El, we were able to cure you. Great news J'onn, you won't be turning into a white martian either! Glad we could settle that plot super quick.

Now Alex, I've engineered the virus to attack your gay cells...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

I hope that all the crossovers are not like this with like 2 minutes of cross over in one episode then the last episode is every one.

Like you know flash is gonna be 90% just The Flash then he goes and gets Supergirl at the end of the episode.

We already knew Supergirl wouldn't tie in until the end. They've described the other three shows as having one three hour story

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why was Alex stitching up Maggie instead of a doctor?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why was Alex stitching up Maggie instead of a doctor?

Alex has a degree in bio-something or other, that's close enough to an MD

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was a super fun episode but I am pretty annoyed that the CW hyped the gently caress out of this FOUR NIGHT EVENT and the crossover didn't start until the last minute of the episode.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Yeah, Alex can basically do anything the show needs her to do, professionally speaking. Investigate crime scenes. Rappel from helicopters. Handle Rocket Launchers. Be a doctor. She's just short a cool code name and costume to be a superhero herself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So any idea who the Kyla Ren's are at the end are? But yea, That was pretty much all I expected, though I'll be sad Sisco and Wynn don't get to hang out. Maybe next crossover?

All I want is Red Daughter of Krypton storyline someday.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually there's no reason that they couldn't do one off Elseworld shows during the Summer or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

So any idea who the Kyla Ren's are at the end are? But yea, That was pretty much all I expected, though I'll be sad Sisco and Wynn don't get to hang out. Maybe next crossover?

Mon-El's story is changed too much to say.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I guess if you're going to borrow a storyline from New52 Supergirl that would be one of them.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Eliza's reaction to Alex coming out was basically "Your sister's an alien, of course you're gay".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"More like just a guy I work with."

:drat: Cisco? More like Dis-co! Glad to see they're not putting Cisco still being super pissed at Barry for Flashpoint on the backburner for the crossover.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 29, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

So any idea who the Kyla Ren's are at the end are?

I'm going to guess and say one or both of them are his betrothed.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So in Season 1, when they had the crossover with The Flash, that was when Supergirl was still being produced by CBS, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

So in Season 1, when they had the crossover with The Flash, that was when Supergirl was still being produced by CBS, right?

Aired by CBS. Supergirl was and continues to be produced by WB Television.

But yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's basically the reason the show is set in a completely different universe from the rest of the Arrowverse. The CBS brass prickishly refused to let the show be a real Arrowverse show--because CBS is run too-to-bottom by greybeard assholes--until public outcry for a crossover got too much and they allowed a one episode deal with The Flash.

Even though the show's on CW now, and is doing phenomenally better for it, it's still dealing with the bullshit hand that CBS dealt it right out of the gate.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eh, it worked out better this way. I like Supergirl living in basically the Donner Superman world without having to retcon some "oh yeah, there was always a god living in Metropolis, we just never bothered to mention him" bullshit into Arrow and Flash.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Flashpoint would have been a good plot device to sync up the universes. Though I understand why they didn't do it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They'll have a chance to sync them up like a million more times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That's basically the reason the show is set in a completely different universe from the rest of the Arrowverse. The CBS brass prickishly refused to let the show be a real Arrowverse show--because CBS is run too-to-bottom by greybeard assholes--until public outcry for a crossover got too much and they allowed a one episode deal with The Flash.

Even though the show's on CW now, and is doing phenomenally better for it, it's still dealing with the bullshit hand that CBS dealt it right out of the gate.

You can probably find the successive changing statements where before the debut the CBS exec was saying "No, 100% there is no reason for the shows to have a crossover. It won't happen this is a CBS show not some cheap male soap opera" all the way to "Yes, yes we promise crossovers, please keep watching Supergirl"

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

I'm just thankful that they've gone from MY COUSIN to "yep, he came, he left, no big whoop."

Back then, they couldn't mention him because reasons. Now, they don't mention him because we're all past it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although you know a Kryptonian bio-weapon stolen from his house is maybe something he should show up for.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aphrodite posted:

Although you know a Kryptonian bio-weapon stolen from his house is maybe something he should show up for.

Also he's Superman and can literally fly hundreds of miles an hour no problem. Dropping by National City is probably the effort-equivalent of driving across town. "Uggggh gently caress the 405, but an alien bio-weapon? Fine."

Mon-El is way shittier superpower-wise than it seemed like he'd be. He seems like a kind of strong dude whose weakness is bullets. Which...yeah, sure. Also, it's super weird that they hastily wrote Jimmy out as a love interest and replaced him with a handsome white man.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xealot posted:

Also, it's super weird that they hastily wrote Jimmy out as a love interest and replaced him with a handsome white man.

Daxomites are an offshoot of Kryptonians, so presumably then can have viable children. They have to mate to perpetuate their race. Kara going with Jimmy would weaken the bloodline.

Nothing racist about that.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Do you think they'll turn Megan into a green martian like she probably wants to be?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That would be "giving a gently caress about a tertiary character".

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xealot posted:

Mon-El is way shittier superpower-wise than it seemed like he'd be. He seems like a kind of strong dude whose weakness is bullets

Talk about getting the poo poo end of the 'one weakness' lottery. Kryptonions can only be hurt by this one super rare element, daxomites can only be hurt by a metal that humans already make their weapons out of anyway.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I just caught up on the last 4 weeks and have to say that these writers may have done the best "coming out" arc I've ever seen on network TV and it's not close

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

aBagorn posted:

So I just caught up on the last 4 weeks and have to say that these writers may have done the best "coming out" arc I've ever seen on network TV and it's not close

It really is remarkable- in all other respects this is one of the least subtle shows on television, yet they handled this with remarkable nuance.

Of course it helps that Chyler Leigh is just so drat good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's the little prance she does as she's absconding with the whiskey that sells it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It really is remarkable- in all other respects this is one of the least subtle shows on television, yet they handled this with remarkable nuance.

The one where she breaks down after admitting how humiliated she was upon being rejected is pretty great, in particular. I mean, deeply sad, and really well-acted.

But looking at the first few episodes of the season, it's kind of hilariously unsubtle. Tons of sustained shots of longing gazes, and at least a couple monologues of the form, "it sure was tough being a queer girl in Oklahoma." Probably a necessity to set that stage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xealot posted:

The one where she breaks down after admitting how humiliated she was upon being rejected is pretty great, in particular. I mean, deeply sad, and really well-acted.

But looking at the first few episodes of the season, it's kind of hilariously unsubtle. Tons of sustained shots of longing gazes, and at least a couple monologues of the form, "it sure was tough being a queer girl in Oklahoma." Probably a necessity to set that stage.

As someone who lived through Season 4 of Korra, you'd be amazed how unsubtle these kinds of things HAVE to be for them to be recognized at all!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

It's the little prance she does as she's absconding with the whiskey that sells it.

God I loved that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Granted, for TV shows that's a REALLY low bar to clear. But good on 'em all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssss

Love it