Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah. I don't want none of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The characters are so great now, their toys are really likeable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Things being likable? Pleebs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
SMGs posts are likeable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For smug people I'd imagine.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Prequel defenders live vicariously through Jar Jar because they themselves are clumsy awkward idiots that no one likes.

CelticPredator posted:

It's fine to enjoy the prequels. As it is to hate them.

:hfive:

Yaws fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 29, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's fine to enjoy the prequels. As it is to hate them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

rear end Catchcum posted:

Where do we see chewie be clumsy? You do this all the time; try to pass off lies as fact.

He drops a toolbox on Han, puts C3PO's head on backwards, fires his gun in a ricochet room and nearly kills everyone, etc.

I'm beginning to think that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Barudak posted:

Nah my mother was laughing uproariously in the theater when it happened. Conversely, her opinion on film is so underdeveloped she has difficulty following the plot of children's movies much less what message they may be attempting to convey.
If we're doing mom stories, my mom's favorite Star Wars is AOTC because she loves the love story. Like, she still remembers how much she liked it over a decade later. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully Rogue One merchandise will teach people to love again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It will be cool when people end up thinking Jyn is a cool character and they buy up all the figures peg warming.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Hydronium posted:

If we're doing mom stories, my mom's favorite Star Wars is AOTC because she loves the love story. Like, she still remembers how much she liked it over a decade later. :v:

My sister's the same way. Eats up the unhealthy romance and Anakin's descent into darkness, thinks they're the most interesting part of the series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darth Vader's motivations are indeed the most interesting part of Star Wars.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

People rightfully hate the prequels. Eventually you're going to have to accept this and move on with your life. This little crusade some of you are on is an exercise in futility.

I don't like the prequels either tho, I think you're severely confused.

But if you hate them so much that you're blinded to loving reality and think they didn't make a shitload of money and sell a shitload of merchandise, then you might have pretty severe brain problems.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There aren't many bad parts in the prequels that aren't also present in the originals, and vice versa. They're intentionally very similar movies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hahahahaha. Oh my that is hilarious! So fuckable!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

There aren't many bad parts in the prequels that aren't also present in the originals, and vice versa. They're intentionally very similar movies.

The main thing for me is that there's so much personality in the originals, especially ANH, because of the cast. Ford, Guinness, James Earl Jones, Cushing, they're all so effortlessly compelling on film that the script didn't have to be that great. The cast of the prequels is a lot more flat and boring, with a few exceptions of course but nothing like the a Harrison Ford or Alec Guinness.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Darth Vader's motivations are indeed the most interesting part of Star Wars.

Yeah this. Seeing why Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader is why the prequel trilogy rules.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

How could they not, when they value commodity so much?

Bongo Bill posted:

In fact, part of SW's appeal has always been badness. The only reason people will quote dialogue from a Star Wars movie is because it's so goddamn goofy. But the cargo culting is strong in this fandom, so it's been forgotten, if it was ever recognized at all.

"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
"Only a master of evil, Darth."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

UmOk posted:

Hahahahaha. Oh my that is hilarious! So fuckable!

why do you want to gently caress a perfect killing machine

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In fact, part of SW's appeal has always been badness. The only reason people will quote dialogue from a Star Wars movie is because it's so goddamn goofy. But the cargo culting is strong in this fandom, so it's been forgotten, if it was ever recognized at all.

"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
"Only a master of evil, Darth."

And when we accept this essential truth about cheesy fantasy/pulpish sci-fi, we become strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He drops a toolbox on Han, puts C3PO's head on backwards, fires his gun in a ricochet room and nearly kills everyone, etc.

Beginning to?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It's an art form that is distributed commercially. To completely ignore the audience for it is just kind of dumb. I mean, Harmony Korine or Lars Von Trier never has to think of their fans, but they aren't making a product that millions of people will see.

And just to be clear, the key words are 'completely'. As in you don't have to spend every second second guessing if fans will like this. Sometimes you gotta roll with your heart, and that's good.

Agreed, gently caress the practical effects on The Thing prequel

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Basebf555 posted:

The main thing for me is that there's so much personality in the originals, especially ANH, because of the cast. Ford, Guinness, James Earl Jones, Cushing, they're all so effortlessly compelling on film that the script didn't have to be that great. The cast of the prequels is a lot more flat and boring, with a few exceptions of course but nothing like the a Harrison Ford or Alec Guinness.

Honestly, having re-watched the OT fairly recently, only Earl Jones really brings it consistently with his performance. You can see Ford and Guinness care less and less as the trilogy progresses.

And Cushing? The Terence Stamp/Max von Sydow of the OT! Great actors, but chosen more for the associations their face brings than any of the lines or scenes their extremely minor character has. Whether that is a "waste" or a "neat little reference" depends on your disposition.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Or like Terry Crews in terminator Salvation. :haw:

EDIT Sorry I still can't believe there's a Terminator movie that has Christian Bale, Common, Michael Ironside, Anton Yelchin, and Terry Crews in it along with a ton of practical sets and effects and is written by the guy that wrote The Prestige yet it is somehow one of the least enjoyable movies I've ever seen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 29, 2016

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

Honestly, having re-watched the OT fairly recently, only Earl Jones really brings it consistently with his performance. You can see Ford and Guinness care less and less as the trilogy progresses.

And Cushing? The Terence Stamp/Max von Sydow of the OT! Great actors, but chosen more for the associations their face brings than any of the lines or scenes their extremely minor character has. Whether that is a "waste" or a "neat little reference" depends on your disposition.

Ford, Jones and Guiness still act circles around everyone in the PT.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Agreed, gently caress the practical effects on The Thing prequel

*sniffs blood in the water*

HERE I COME.

Here's the thing. When you're making something as big as Star Wars, it's dumb to completely remove the fans from the conversation. I'm always going to believe that, and there's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise. That being said, it's equally as dumb to allow the fans complete control, in a sense.

There needs to be a healthy balance between the creators and the audience, which is what I think Marvel does so well. Sure, movie nerds scoff and scorn at the fact that they're not that different, and that they're safe, and that everyone is below them and idiots. But what they don't realize is how dang hard it is to create something so popular and so well received that seems to work for almost everyone. You don't have to like it. It's totally fine you don't. But there's something there.
However, to cover all my bases, Marvel isn't perfect, and has thrown filmmakers to the curb for not wanting to make compromises. Which I don't think is right either. And yeah, the sameyness of the films do get a little old.

You don't need to get focus pulls from a bunch of stinky nerds. But you also shouldn't ignore what people are saying completely. Collaboration is a key part of making films, and for me, I think it can carry over to the audience, if only by a little bit.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

fires his gun in a ricochet room and nearly kills everyone, etc.

Unless there's another ricochet room I'm forgetting, Han did that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like the prequels did deliver what 'the fans' wanted. You love Boba Fett? Here's an entire goddamn army of Boba Fetts! You love lightsabers, have a fuckton of lightsabers!

I think a significant group of people are angry that this tragedy trilogy involved people making mistakes and doing bad things without any of it being softened to make them still be 'cool' and 'lovable'. You're not supposed to want to be Darth Vader.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shiroc posted:

I feel like the prequels did deliver what 'the fans' wanted. You love Boba Fett? Here's an entire goddamn army of Boba Fetts! You love lightsabers, have a fuckton of lightsabers!

I think a significant group of people are angry that this tragedy trilogy involved people making mistakes and doing bad things without any of it being softened to make them still be 'cool' and 'lovable'. You're not supposed to want to be Darth Vader.

It turns out people don't actually want what they think they want.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Are you not entertained?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

But you can feel bad for them.

Like Walter White at the beginning of Breaking Bad is a nebbish, sad character who's at the lowest point of his entire life. He then decides to take charge for once, and you're with him. But as the show goes on, he becomes a worse and worse person, until you straight up hate the guy and re-think your entire perspective on him.

That's one of the reasons that show works. It drags a sympathetic character through the mud, and they come out a monster. Some people are dumb, yeah, and like the guy. But it's an effective way to make a character arc like that work.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I mean, Anakin and his concerns are pretty drat sympathetic up until he starts listening to Evil Lizard Ron Paulpatine and starts killing people, so mission accomplished I guess?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ungulateman posted:

why do you want to gently caress a perfect killing machine

You misunderstand. It's not the machine that's fuckable. It's the IDEA(which is a fake idea).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess it's a matter of taste because I didn't like him after his first little pithy argument session with Obi Wan. From then he just came off as spoiled. Which isn't a good start to a sympathetic character.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CelticPredator posted:

I guess it's a matter of taste because I didn't like him after his first little pithy argument session with Obi Wan. From then he just came off as spoiled. Which isn't a good start to a sympathetic character.

The start of the character is the little kid in Episode 1 who is incredibly eager to help these strangers who wandered into his life and who believes that the Jedi must be here to free the slaves because they're heroes right? They're supposed to save people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Wait a slave is fuckin spoiled because he is hopeful that a force of good as he understands it will free other people like him and then risks is life in a lethal racing competition to get them a part for their spaceship with no request or bargaining for anything in return?

Like he literally asks for nothing from them, and in fact offers them everything he has.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh gently caress, I forgot to mention I was talking about Attack of the Clones. My bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Here's the thing. When you're making something as big as Star Wars, it's dumb to completely remove the fans from the conversation.

"fans" have no place in a conversation because they poison everything they touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Luke comes off just as whiney in A New Hope and spoiled enough to question Yoda again and again in Empire.

• Locked thread