Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You might be able to wall around Manhattan and run pumps constantly. They already do pump pretty constantly because New York City was built on a site of natural springs.

Miami seems like a lost cause though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When the West Antarctic ice sheet goes in 20 or 50 or 80 years and Manhattan is submerged up to midtown, will they still say it's a one-time freak event?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Jersey + Newark + LaGuardia airport flood pretty quickly even for marginal sea level rise. You could wall off Manhattan, but no-one could actually leave (at least not without going through Yonkers, so entirely theoretical).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://ss6m.climatecentral.org/#12/40.6643/-73.9385

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It will be a very small comfort that Wall Street will flood if West Antarctica falls into the sea.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best start taking pictures and post cards from Boston and Cambridge. They're going to be worth quite a lot when it all goes under.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Upside is its going to be interesting to scuba dive in the French Quarter?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woah uh you weren't kidding about Miami. With 10ft sea level rise pretty much south Florida is gone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Trying to get this drat thing to work

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/

or this one

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Suggestion for a public arts work:

Find a nice park in a low lying area and erect a nice "sculpture thing" that fish will like and that will be a nice spot for scuba divers to explore, 60 years from now when it will be underwater.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
loving high tides cause some flooding in Miami area now. That poo poo is just going to get worse and worse. How long are people going to deal with it is anyone's guess.

Oh, also, if the Gulf Stream just fizzles... rapid sea rise of feet along along the East Coast will ensue. The current right now pushes water away from the coast.

On the Arctic sea ice front, it continues to recover, but it's slower than is needed to hit the December 7th crossover to 2012 record low extent: 9,463,931 sq km total, today.

Last few days of recovery have been:
+125,669 sq km (Nov 28)
+114,379 sq km (Nov 27)
+134,391 sq km (Nov 26)
+131,954 sq km (Nov 25)
+138,895 sq km (Nov 24)

Well short of the 144,000 sq km/day needed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This seems to be working pretty well.

http://ss2.climatecentral.org/#11/40.7128/-74.0059?show=satellite&projections=0-RCP85-SLR&level=10&unit=feet&pois=hide

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thats not so ba-HOLY poo poo LMAO

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Earth shall have its revenge on the Florida voters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But that's where all the democrats live.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If the WAIS is seriously going to go within our lifetimes then we are turbofucked in a way that nobody is really expecting or prepared for. That's absolutely insane. You can basically throw out the idea of first world countries being insulated from the worst effects of climate change if we're talking about sea level increases on that level.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Earth shall have its revenge on the Florida voters.

Buddy the Panhandle is full of the most blood red meat you can imagine.

Florida's gonna have 20 Electoral Votes in a population that's 90% republican with no south Florida to block it off. Most of them will probably be happy to see the Minorities getting hosed over.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

You can basically throw out the idea of first world countries being insulated from the worst effects of climate change if we're talking about sea level increases on that level.

It still is. Worst case scenario is mass migrations of hundreds of millions of people, starving and thirsting to death and dying of cholera/typhoid and dysentery.

The first world might get the migrations but not the dying parts.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So wait, this article is saying that if the Shelf Collapses it's a 10 feet increase.

Is this like 10 feet all at once or over a period of a few years? Like I'm trying to figure out if this is 'you go to sleep and you wake up in the morning and you're literally trapped in a house filled with water' or 'you slowly watch as over a period of months the water grows closer and closer to your front porch as you try to move'

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BattleMoose posted:

It still is. Worst case scenario is mass migrations of hundreds of millions of people, starving and thirsting to death and dying of cholera/typhoid and dysentery.

The first world might get the migrations but not the dying parts.

A ten foot increase in sea levels puts portions of most major coastal US cities underwater. Migration on that level isn't something that we've ever had to deal with, and I'm not confident that it's something that even a rich country like the US can handle. You're talking about an unprecedented number of people being displaced over a decade or less. That's uncharted territory.

edit-

Stallion Cabana posted:

So wait, this article is saying that if the Shelf Collapses it's a 10 feet increase.

Is this like 10 feet all at once or over a period of a few years? Like I'm trying to figure out if this is 'you go to sleep and you wake up in the morning and you're literally trapped in a house filled with water' or 'you slowly watch as over a period of months the water grows closer and closer to your front porch as you try to move'

I can't give you an informed answer on how quickly sea levels would rise, but the issue with the WAIS is that a complete collapse has the potential to be incredibly sudden. It's the sort of situation where we might notice it happening, but we won't necessarily realize how far along it is until we're past the point of no return. I'm still not entirely buying that this is something that's going to happen anytime in the near future.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 29, 2016

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

A ten foot increase in sea levels puts portions of most major coastal US cities underwater. Migration on that level isn't something that we've ever had to deal with, and I'm not confident that it's something that even a rich country like the US can handle. You're talking about an unprecedented number of people being displaced over a decade or less. That's uncharted territory.

I am aware. And the ability for a country like the USA to handle a situation like this is like a BILLION times greater than Bangladesh for example. Or the Maldives. Or India.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There's evidence expectations of sea level rise and greater storm severity is beginning to discourage construction in vulnerable areas. If we were seriously willing to reform federal flood insurance we could probably prevent more harm, but that's not very likely politically.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/science/global-warming-coastal-real-estate.html

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Buddy the Panhandle is full of the most blood red meat you can imagine.

Florida's gonna have 20 Electoral Votes in a population that's 90% republican with no south Florida to block it off. Most of them will probably be happy to see the Minorities getting hosed over.

The people from south Florida aren't going to just sink into the waves, most of them will move inland. Of all the downsides of sea level rise, "will drown all Democrats" is not something you need to worry about.

Also, once major coastal cities are flooded beyond repair, hopefully even the GOP will start taking climate change seriously.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
When should one start buying farmland in the frigid States

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Fansy posted:

Don't. You probably don't know how to run a farm, and with climate change it's not getting any easier. As a citizen of a first world country, you'll probably have food available forever. If you really want to prepare for the worst, get a vegetable garden and some chickens to complement the future potato & beans rations.

If you just want to rent or sell the land later at a high price, still don't. In that kind of dire crisis, being an absentee landlord doesn't fare too well. For examples see 1940s China.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Would there even be the slightest chance of mitigation, in any form, at that point? It's p[robably incredibly dumb and naive to ask, but prevention would be long dead, and it seems like mass evacuations would be the only option.

Drop a few dozen nukes in the ocean, burn off the water, worth a shot! Or whatever pointless thing the morons in charge at the time decide makes the most sense.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Fansy posted:

If you buy it, do it as a real estate investment, and rent it to an actual farmer. Eastern Montana is one of the few areas that is currently only limited by climate when it comes to AG in the US, so that's an ok spot. If Trump lets the republicans unload federal lands in the western states, it won't be long before someone figures out that the forests in the mountains are the source of almost all the water, so that's not a bad bet either if you're really thinking big. Rural areas in the southeastern states are also likely to become a profitable alternative to California for some crops, as they were before trains and reefer trucks.

Seriously though, real estate around cities with reliable water supplies will always be something to look at going forward. Cities are on a trajectory to absorb a greater and greater proportion of humanity regardless of climate change, and will likely do so more intensely as various land-based livelihoods undergo attrition.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
At least in my area the post-glacial rebound is still gaining land from sea, so I should be safe from drowning for a while.

Low-lying blue areas on the other hand are double hosed...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arglebargle III posted:

When the West Antarctic ice sheet goes in 20 or 50 or 80 years and Manhattan is submerged up to midtown, will they still say it's a one-time freak event?

Well there's only one West Antarctic ice sheet... :v:

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Thats not so ba-HOLY poo poo LMAO

Eh. Continental shelf makes for good seafood habitat.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nenonen posted:

At least in my area the post-glacial rebound is still gaining land from sea, so I should be safe from drowning for a while.

Low-lying blue areas on the other hand are double hosed...

Wait, so Scandinavia exempting Denmark will be relatively fine? That can't be right, no way is the land rising that quickly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wait, so Scandinavia exempting Denmark will be relatively fine? That can't be right, no way is the land rising that quickly.

Mostly not, although in some areas ground is rising 9cm per anno, which about equals the rate of sea level rise. But even in lesser areas it will give extra time to react, which is good compared to areas like the Netherlands where ground is sinking simultaneously as sea is rising.

The bigger question for northern Europe is going to be whether the Gulf stream will remain stable. If not there could be a local ice age, unless neutralized by global warming...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 29, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

I can't give you an informed answer on how quickly sea levels would rise, but the issue with the WAIS is that a complete collapse has the potential to be incredibly sudden. It's the sort of situation where we might notice it happening, but we won't necessarily realize how far along it is until we're past the point of no return. I'm still not entirely buying that this is something that's going to happen anytime in the near future.

Sorry if I implied the time horizon is "the near future". It probably won't happen during the Trump presidency IMO. Much like a massive California earthquake, the time is "in the next <100 years". Could be in 20? 30? Point is we risk living to see it happen.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Here are questions I've been asking myself;

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/bioethicist-the-climate-crisis-calls-for-fewer-children/

Some of the same points that have been raised so far in this thread.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Here are questions I've been asking myself;

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/bioethicist-the-climate-crisis-calls-for-fewer-children/

Some of the same points that have been raised so far in this thread.
That article is disappointing as it only argues that having less children is ethical in the face of climate change without any suggestions for how to actually accomplish this. I realize the author is a philosopher and mainly interested in the ethical argument, but he must be aware that such a policy would be very difficult (or impossible) to politically implement on a wide scale. At least he's only arguing that people should have less kids (they clearly should), some posters in this thread have seriously argued for zero children with the expectation that people would take them seriously. Even if they're completely correct, anybody who's been outside recently would realize that is a complete non-starter and not worth discussion.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Western countries' birthrates have been below replacement rate for decades. Where you personally place yourself on the 0-3 offspring spectrum really matters even less than the type of car you choose to drive, or whether you choose to own a dog.
You could say you don't want to create children who will have to live in the world we've created, but then again their life will probably be better and more comfortable than that of 99% of people in history.

Ultimately I'd say climate change should not determine your choice to have / not have children. Work to promote family planning worldwide, empower women, maybe don't join the Duggar family cult, that's more effective than trying to convince affluent westerners to not have their 1-2 children.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think considering adoption instead of having kids is very cool and good.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

pidan posted:

You could say you don't want to create children who will have to live in the world we've created, but then again their life will probably be better and more comfortable than that of 99% of people in history.

Well, in the context of climate change, that's probably true if you are already a first world individual. The author is making the classic anti-natalist argument though.

quote:

I, like many philosophers, believe that it’s morally better to make people happy than to make happy people. Those who exist already have needs and wants, and protecting and providing for them is motivated by respect for human life. It is not a harm to someone not to be created.

Which remains true in my mind, even if climate change doesn't impact us in the slightest.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

That article is disappointing as it only argues that having less children is ethical in the face of climate change without any suggestions for how to actually accomplish this. I realize the author is a philosopher and mainly interested in the ethical argument, but he must be aware that such a policy would be very difficult (or impossible) to politically implement on a wide scale. At least he's only arguing that people should have less kids (they clearly should), some posters in this thread have seriously argued for zero children with the expectation that people would take them seriously. Even if they're completely correct, anybody who's been outside recently would realize that is a complete non-starter and not worth discussion.

Anti-natalism gets shot down by breeders news at eleven.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

cosmicprank posted:

Anti-natalism gets shot down by breeders news at eleven.

Well yes, Anti-natalism is something you can advocate for and encourage in your own life. It's not really feasible to force it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Despite the idea of it being pretty far fetched even compared to the massive devastation that will assuredly happen due to climate change this century, the idea of ocean acidification leading to mass die-off of phytoplankton and depletion of atmospheric oxygen made me consider how that would affect humans physiologically, assuming at that point we even still exist as a major species.

Just based on my knowledge of physiology, the most likely way I could see it manifesting would be like altitude sickness, but gradually happening at lower and lower altitudes. At the start, populations living at high altitudes would start having symptoms despite having normalized to the atmosphere at that level. Eventually this would get so bad that these groups would be displaced and have to move closer to sea level. As atmospheric levels of O2 dropped this would continue to ramp up until eventually nowhere on the planet is safe and symptoms continue to get worse until it is impossible for humans to live at all and we all die out. That leaves out the intermediate period of mass death due to displacement as well as the massive amount of problems associated with people's bodies having to essentially live with polycythemia as we try to adjust to lower oxygen levels. So lots of fun considering that.