Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Thanks, this version seems to be working fine (at least I was able to login before the kids claimed the tv)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

Yeah but at least if you have a prime membership a lot of the Amazon content is free instead of just constantly trying to sell you stuff like the Roku.

bull3964 posted:

Nope, just M-GO Fandango Now.

You guys know you can turn that stuff off in your settings, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No such setting I've seen. Right now it's asking me to sign up for CBS All Access so I can catch up on NCIS!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sorry those are not that bad IMO. I was referring to the Fandango crap. It used to bug the poo poo out of me until I figured you could turn it off. The banner on the far right though? Not nearly as invasive as Amazon hammering you over the head with their content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are pretty much exactly the same. The fireTV has a top banner ad, the Roku has a side bar ad. Otherwise they both show your list of apps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Used to be you could block some address or IP at your router to make the Roku ads not appear.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Its about goddamn time, hopefully it's not neutered by channel restrictions to the point of being useless

quote:

Sling TV debuts cloud DVR to combat PlayStation Vue

Beta testers will get 100 hours of DVR recording free next month.

While Dish's Sling TV impressed us as a streaming television alternative for cord cutters (and it's gotten even better over time), rival service PlayStation Vue has had one major advantage from the start: cloud DVR. But that won't last for long. Sling TV announced today that it'll begin beta testing its own cloud DVR service next month with Roku users. And, notably, it won't have a 28-day limit on your recordings like PS Vue.

For the most part, Sling TV's approach to cloud DVR is pretty much what you'd expect. You'll be able to choose specific shows and films to watch later, and of course, you'll be able to rewind and fast forward that content as well. You can record multiple shows at once, and the service will automatically manage your DVR recordings by removing older shows.

The company notes that not every channel will include DVR support, which is unfortunate but not unexpected. Since its launch, some networks have opted out of Sling TV's more compelling features, like being able to rewind live content or view shows from the previous few days.
Sling TV users with Roku devices can sign up for beta testing today, and that will include 100 hours of recording. There's no word on what the feature will cost when it's officially released, but the company says it's looking into ways to upgrade storage options and protect recordings from deletion.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/28/sling-tv-debuts-cloud-dvr-to-combat-playstation-vue/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is actually pretty cool and bodes well for the future of channel delivery via streaming services.

With DirectTV option dropping soon(this week?), I expect we're about to see some real jumps in features and service. Three competitors serving similar services in the same market is pretty much optimal for a consumer for a value per dollar.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The DTV now presser is going on now

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Wow, it's true, free Apple TV when you pre-pay 3 months of service. HBO $5 a month. Looks like a great deal. Zero rated data on AT&T Wireless.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Plus the limited time 100 channel package for 35 dollars. Still waiting to see what the channel line up is. That will determine if I can get the wife on board or not. Charter cable TV is too expensive

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
HBO or Cinemax for $5 extra too? Not shabby.

Edit: Channel lineup from 9to5Mac:

Depending on how long you can keep the 100 channel package for $35, that's a really good value. Adding $5 for HBO almost seems like a no-brainer.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 29, 2016

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
It depends on the fine print, but I've been curious about the Apple TV for a while and it seems like the 3 month prepay is a way for me to get it at a slight discount and basically a three month trial of the service on top of it. Plus getting HBO at $5/month sounds great.

Considering that HBO themselves sell the service at $15/month I'm worried ATT is trying to take a short-term hit on HBO to try and lure people in to DirectTV Now and then jack the prices back up after a few months.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ChadSexington posted:

It depends on the fine print, but I've been curious about the Apple TV for a while and it seems like the 3 month prepay is a way for me to get it at a slight discount and basically a three month trial of the service on top of it. Plus getting HBO at $5/month sounds great.

Considering that HBO themselves sell the service at $15/month I'm worried ATT is trying to take a short-term hit on HBO to try and lure people in to DirectTV Now and then jack the prices back up after a few months.

There will be price increases.

http://about.att.com/story/att_offers_three_ways_to_stream_premium_video_content.html

quote:

Experience any of our packages free for 7 days when you sign up at https://www.directvnow.com and download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play. To celebrate our historic launch of DIRECTV NOW, we’re making streams come true by offering our “Go Big” package with more than 100 channels for just $35 per month. This is a limited time offer. Customers who sign up for this offer will continue to enjoy this special price for as long as you keep the package, subject only to future reasonable programming price increases applicable to all packages.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
No cloud DVR with them saying maybe next year. gently caress it, free Apple TV with three months, zero rated data on mobile, I will probably sign up just for the Apple TV and three months of zero rated TV on my phone and tablet but come on, the entire point of cutting the cord was not wanting to be glued to the TV, a cloud DVR should be essential.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The $35/100 + Apple TV is a good offer but I don't think I could survive without a cloud DVR.

Plus there isn't a lot of info on local channels except "in select markets".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero One posted:

The $35/100 + Apple TV is a good offer but I don't think I could survive without a cloud DVR.

Plus there isn't a lot of info on local channels except "in select markets".

I have a feeling the DVR is still being hammered out. I read it was a separate licensing agreement with Sony to have that in their service. And Sling, who just started it, couldn't get all the channels they carry right now.

For live broadcast, it's probably the same as PS Vue--only in places where the network owns the affiliate. So New York, Chicago, LA... major markets like that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh... another good question: Will subscribers get website logins for the various providers?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So they'll give you a $150 Apple TV for $105?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

ChadSexington posted:

Exactly my thoughts. I love the Vue, and while DTVN doesnt do cloud DVR "yet" the VOD offerings should suffice. And $45 with an Apple TV is a lot better than anything Im getting with current DirecTV service.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Zero One posted:

Oh... another good question: Will subscribers get website logins for the various providers?

Unknown. DirecTV does have some infrastructure to support that; you can use their (your) DTV login for HBO and Showtime, for example, like many other cable/satellite providers. Depends on what deals they struck, really.

Behind the scenes dealmaking defines this in the end; they really aren't in much different a position than Sling, Vue, et. all, other than having more of a direct path to some content providers/creators maybe. Broadcast rights (via satellite in DTVs case) are not the same as streaming rights by any stretch and content providers have gotten very particular about them. And the fact that DTV is part of a larger "big happy family" that includes some content providers doesn't make a big a difference as you might think.

That's why there's no cloud/DVR at launch, and expect it to have limitations over and beyond broadcast DVR when it does launch, just like Sling and Vue. And limits on CBS, who are still in love with the idea of doing it all on their own, local channels, etc. Being part of AT&T and soon Time Warner doesn't magically erase the existing contractual friction around streaming rights.

$40 (with HBO) is still a pretty good deal right now for those channels in the package. Don't expect that to last long, even at the promo rate. AT&T would love nothing more than to be able to get people to pay basically the same for DTV (and their internet) without having to deal with dish installs, equipment, etc. believe me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ixian posted:

$40 (with HBO) is still a pretty good deal right now for those channels in the package. Don't expect that to last long, even at the promo rate. AT&T would love nothing more than to be able to get people to pay basically the same for DTV (and their internet) without having to deal with dish installs, equipment, etc. believe me.

Yeah, everything I've read has indicated that you should probably jump on it in the first few days. The rate is "locked" until you cancel, only subject to the across the board rate increases. So if/when the rate goes up, it will be because the rates for all the tiers have gone up.

That plus 3 months in adv. for an Apple TV seems like an insanely good deal. I'm willing to pre-pay 3 months to test it out. It's not like I can't go back to PS Vue if I don't like it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Cheesus posted:

For me its just in terms of content, PBS-wise.

My sister's kids grew up with Barney and Teletubbies.

I'm the rear end in a top hat dad who occasionally turns on the TV at 5:30 in the morning when his one-year old wakes up. I know what the studies say about television and those under two, I know that makes me a monster that I even resort to the glass teat when my allergy medicine hasn't kicked in and I can't engage him with runny eyes and nose.

That said, I'm struggling to find anything in the same ballpark of awful with PBS's current line up. Even Wild Kratts is the mildest of the "bro" culture and is more than made up with its focus on celebrating all types of animals.

I'd almost unironically watch Peg + Cat and Word Girl on my own.

As the parent of a 2 year old, don't worry too much about min-maxing your kid. He's gonna be fine.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Charter's TV prices are ridiculous for the channels the wife wants, this is definitely appealing. And 7 day free trial to put it through its paces.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a Roku channel for it? I had read a little bit ago that there was not a Roku channel.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a Roku channel for it? I had read a little bit ago that there was not a Roku channel.

There is a Roku channel.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
That channel listing isn't appealing at all vs already having Vue.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Looks like DirecTV Now is launching in AT&T retailer stores tomorrow as well. I just called one owned by corporate and they are ready to go with Apple TVs in stock for the 3 month promotion.

I wanted an Apple TV anyway, so for $45 to include HBO/Cinemax with everything in the next to top tier package its a pretty good buy. If I dont like it Ill still have an Apple TV cheaper than what I would have gotten directly from Apple.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
gently caress that's a good deal. However with Christmas I can't afford the $105 right now. Hope they keep it going until January.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That deal would be great if I didn't have to buy a lovely Apple product.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You don't. Pay for a month in advance and get a Fire Stick.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, you can get the shittier FireTV if you want. Roku is supposed to be early 2017.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
No DVR or provider logins to all the different apps make this kind of a weird choice for cord-cutters IMO.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

No DVR or provider logins to all the different apps make this kind of a weird choice for cord-cutters IMO.

Is the no provider logons true?

I know my PS Vue allows that and I've seen Sling as a provider.

EDIT: I haven't found anything one way or the other regarding app status. The only thing I've seen talks about lack of DVR and no CBS or Showtime. I did see they will offer 72 hour "re-play", which sounds similar to what Sling offers. I imagine it's limited to certain channels.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 30, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Saw a twitter question DVR is an upcoming feature without adding to the cost.

And this.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 30, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So I've had an HDHomerun Prime for a couple months now and it's been working great. I mostly use it to watch TV on my computer (haven't quite cut cable yet!) and to use my xb360 as a media extender/cable box. This week I upgraded to a new computer and have not been able to install the HDHomerun software. Every time it hangs up at "Starting Services" and I get the error "Failed to Start Service. Verify that you have permission...."

I've searched around a bit and I've found two pieces of advice. First, from Silicon Dust themselves is to go into Computer Management and set SSDP discovery to "Manual" and retry the install. Did that, same problem persists. The second suggestions was to make sure and "Run as Administrator" when initiating the install. That also did nothing for me, same error pops up every time.

Is there something obvious I could be missing? This is a fresh install of Windows 7 and have had no updates as of yet. On my previous server it took nearly two weeks for even a single update to trigger, but by the time I installed the HDHomerun software I think I was more or less up to date. Is there something crucial to this software that Windows 7 needs? The computer is a Lenovo Thinkserver model recommended in the OP of the Plex thread if that matters at all.

For now I'm still able to use the HDHR to watch live TV through my PS3, but I can't get Plex DVR working until I have everything set up on my server. Interestingly (to me) I am able to watch TV through my Plex account, but cable channels only work on standard def, while I can get network channels in HD. Plex DVR cannot pull up a program guide though, so it doesn't work at all.

Might cross post this in the Plex thread, but I figured this one was better for HDHR issues.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 30, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Those of you thinking of switching from your normal directv subscription to a directvnow sub, I just confirmed with a directv rep the early termination fee will still apply. Just moved in a new house 6 months ago and signed up for directv then, my early term fee would be $350!

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hmmm, this is a deal breaker for me. Do we have any confirmation that this is true? I know direct TV was just added into apple TVs new single sign on feature coming in the next update (its on the beta now).

I assumed with apple being a launch partner that this was going to be one of the main points of the single sign on when the update went live.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

badjohny posted:

Hmmm, this is a deal breaker for me. Do we have any confirmation that this is true? I know direct TV was just added into apple TVs new single sign on feature coming in the next update (its on the beta now).

I assumed with apple being a launch partner that this was going to be one of the main points of the single sign on when the update went live.

DVR not until (probably 1st Qtr) 2017. Being able to use channel apps on launch was posted earlier. It looks like only a few on launch (all Disney owned it looks like).

MrBigglesworth posted:

Saw a twitter question DVR is an upcoming feature without adding to the cost.
And this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Couldn't pass up on that Apple TV discount so I signed up for 3 months. Don't really care for DVR features or provider logins. $35/month seems like a pretty good deal for the channels I'm getting while looking through the guide.