Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That's exactly the reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Here, have some non-terrible Soul Breaks:

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMKUmBuzdMY
Penelo's USB is extremely strong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOKKkTi2QY
Larsa uses his Nethecite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocd--LV1BI0
Gabranth gets more shadowy stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BmqXXL7cU
Vaan is going to cut you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZCPYBLKO0

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Cagnazzo hit me with three Watera attacks before I could do anything, each of them dealing over 6k damage.

What the gently caress.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Haven't done the Revenge bosses yet, but don't forget we now have Delita's Magic Lure RM that you can put on someone with Water Resist stuff.

Pretty sure Caius's opening salvo respects Draw Fire mechanics too, so if you have someone you think can handle all three opening attacks, Amarant's RM is there for you.

The opening of those two fights are particularly brutal.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, was able to master Cagnazzo. It seems like literally all he does is just prep Tsunami, so I ran out of uses of my lightning abilities at about 3/4 health. Fortunately Rosa's magic blink medica helped, as did getting lucky with Rydia's Chain Blizzagas after he'd let off a Tsunami. Cleansing Strike probably helped quite a bit as well. Of course, I had to have an opening where he used the full party Watera while Rosa used the SG RW, because if he used the three single target ones then that was a S/L right there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

My party setup isn't ideal for any of these rematch fights, which might be why, but SIN didn't really feel that much easier than most Ult fights in recent memory for me. In fact there have definitely been some easier ones for me over the past month or so. Haven't tried the others yet but I am absolutely not looking forward to Cagnazzo since my physical team is way better than my mage team, and counter-stops sounds miserable as hell.

There's so much stuff to do right now it's kinda overwhelming. At least most of it is 1 stamina fights, but there's a bunch of fights where I'm almost but not quite tuned for it and need more levels and so it's hard to balance around doing this EXP dungeon. Still have like 3 mote dungeons, all but one of the Nightmare final bosses, 2 of the rematch dungeons, and the newest event's Ult+ and ++ fights left.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

my physical team is way better than my mage team, and counter-stops sounds miserable as hell.
Carbuncle reflects stop.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I pulled on the lucky banner like a big dumb idiot and got a hot flaming pile of garbage! Don't be like me! Don't pull on this one.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Goodness gracious Cagnazzo kicked my rear end. I must've tried five different setups and restarted over ten times. Part of it is my stubborn refusal to hone anything that I already have so I'm disinclined to actually hone any of the Chain spells I've been piling up or craft any redundant copies of the basic elemental Spellblades. As such, I only had one set of -jas and -ra Spellblades to work with and that made finding a winning setup really tough. I tried all Physical, all Magical, hybrid of both with Carbuncle to reflect the Stops, Wall, Dusk's Decree, Maria's Song, you name it. At the end of the day, what pulled me through was a hybrid setup with Krile, Ramza, Agrias, Yuffie and Selphie with Wall RW. I knew I'd run afoul of Stops but fortunately for me both times Stop landed, it went for Yuffie, who was probably the one character I had that could afford to get hit. Things are really hard when you don't have a roster that can afford to bring Shellga, Full Break, Magic Breakdown, a Dispel, Curaja, three sources of Thunder and at least one source of Ice. In comparison, Caius went down on the first try though I lost two people to carelessness and Bahamut SIN I managed to beat and master without any Breaks since I forgot to reset Ramza after I put him in the back row with Banishing Strike and Phantasm for my brute force Curada clear. Glad that's over with!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I just smashed Cagnazzo with earth and non-elemental spells, with an ice and a thunder for medals, but I had the luxury of magic blink. The timing of the elemental switching drove me nuts.

I suppose it would work with a reverse wall as well, if that's an option, and just take the tsunami on the chin.

About to do SIN for the first time, wish me luck

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Cagnazzo wins the Big rear end in a top hat Award of the event, but Caius is a giant dickweed too. A tiny sliver of HP left and uses his random target attack, 4 out of 5 hits go for Ramza and gib him from full :mad:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The FFRK multiplayer experience in a nutshell: don't worry, Ashe will carry us.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Remember guys that you must hit the dragon with four lifesiphons before any mitigation or buffs are applied. :q:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After trying out a collection of magic setups against Cagnazzo involving Edward + RW Serah, and getting my steam bled out by the constant barrier swapping, I decided to do what others in the thread had done by declaring gently caress this Nonsense and beating him with brute force. Leon was basically perfect for drawing the stop counters, as not only did he have Knight 5 access but additionally his BSB had a self-heal command to hold him for a while. Even when the reflect RM* wore off and he ate a stop counter (probably should have used a relevant accessory), the lingering Magic Lure effect was still able to block other party members from being hit for just long enough.

*Red XIII's MC1, for those who wish to try something similar.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah, I'm not gonna pull on the Lucky Draw. I've got exactly the Mythril I need for OSB Fest, XIV banner and exactly one half off draw and I'd much rather wait to see if they drop the Buff Lucky Draw we were supposed to get. Have to hit the dungeons when I get home from work.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
...gaaah! I could have just swapped out Banishing Strike on Ramza for Magic Breakdown and replaced Blizzara Strike on Agrias with it! poo poo! All along the solution was staring me right in the face but I was too tunnel visioned into having Agrias hit both weaknesses to see it!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Caius, on the other hand, went down in one try. Onion Knight was in the back row, and ended up getting targeted by one of the opening attacks and Launch, but he had the beefiness to survive it with over half his life still intact. Agrias dispelled as needed, Ramza Shouted, Onion Knight broke, Cloud Lifesiphoned, and when Caius was down to half health or so, a couple of EnWind Finishing Touches combined with OK's SSB took him out.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Bahamut was a chump, looks like it's only U level - I was expecting a mess :)

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Bahamut SIN and Cagnazzo down again. I used synergy teams both times. Had to drop out and redo Cagnazzo because genius me forgot Magic Breakdown the first time.

I don't remember what my team composition was for Cagnazzo before, but for SIN, I had Red XIII (with his new Stardust Ray at the time), Cid (Hyper Jump, same deal), Sephiroth (no SB but needed Fire Blossom for Creepers), Aerith (Planet Protector/Healing Wind, as this was right before Shout, iirc) and the 5th I honestly don't remember right now. This was prior to Sentinel's Grimoire, Shout; basically I had a Medica and that was it. I had plenty of non-SB VII synergy, so I was able to eke out a victory against him, and ironically did it CM style because I lacked an A-Team at the time. Compare that to my team this time:

Sephiroth - Fire Blossom R3/Lifesiphon R4 - Reunion BSB
Red XIII - Full Break R2/Magic Breakdown R4 - Stardust Ray
Cid - Dragoon Jump R3/Lifesiphon R4 - Big Brawl/Hyper Jump
Yuffie - Thief's Revenge R3/Dismissal R4 - Clear Tranquil/Gauntlet
Aerith - Curaja R5/Protectga R2 - White Materia/Planet Protector/Healing Wind

It's been a helluva ride. The rematches gave me an excuse to play with Sephiroth's new BSB from the Lucky Draw (thanks for pushing me on that, btw, very happy with the result), and it just shredded the Creepers with Defend Command, and Attack Command on SIN and his orbs was basically 20k damage every time. In order to meet the Creeper quota, I had to slow down and eat about 4-5 attacks while waiting for respawns, which in hindsight was dumb because I ended up not losing any medals anyway.

Caius and Rhomphaia's test run will have to be tomorrow, I'm way too tired to pay attention tonight. Sometimes the gacha can be annoying and stingy, but I do love the thrills I get from this game.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
My VII and XIII synergy are great so of course I pulled on the trash revenge lucky draw banner and somehow ended up with no dupes! Golbez's dark armor (I have his axe :black101:), Sephiroth's coat, Sazh's sidearms, and Cloud's 1st fusion sword. Cloud's burst was something I chased a little at one point so while it's a bit outdated I'm still happy to actually get it.

Also mastered Ahriman and I cannot stress how important high res gear and shell are. The moment I realized that maybe my magic mitigation was crap was the moment I won.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Managed to drop hecatoncheir (mastered, no less. I only got elite on that drat ninja because I forgot to break). I am very excited, prior the OK event I was having trouble with difficulty 45/50. I mean, a lot of it was the tons of ff3 synergy I ended up with, but still...

If nothing else, I'm very glad to get OK MC3, and actually be able to make him usable. Little guy is going to carry me so far (literally, probably)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I can't lie. I'm going to get immense pleasure from all the newcomers complaining about Bahamut, Cagnazzo or Caius, and I'm not even sorry.

It'll also be cathartic to absolutely ruin Bahamut SIN, since that was the last boss I was unable to do before it's event ended. Revenge indeed. :black101:

(edit) Meanwhile...

Attestant posted:

I have no impulse control.

Don't be a me, this banner is terrible.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 29, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wow, anyone got some tips for Caius? Cause uh this whole "3 actions before your ATB starts to fill" thing is not fun at all. I had to reset 8 times before he hit 3 different people instead of the same person twice, which was an instakill against anyone in my party, including a level 70 Lightning wearing synergy armor. :psyduck:

I also didn't realize that his low-hp mode was going to be "spam nonstop AoE that deals 2k through wall and shell" and I'm not sure what to do about that one. He literally used that giga-gravija or whatever the hell back to back, and then let off that beam attack before anyone could get an action off.

How the hell did anyone beat this when it first came out? Was it not that long ago and I just barely missed it? I dunno what people saying these fights are super easy are talking about, Caius is way harder than the last 5 or so U+ fights that I can remember.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Carbuncle reflects stop.

Hah, didn't think of that. I haven't crafted Carbuncle yet and I could only hone him once, so I'm not sure if it's worth it just for this. I have not been much of a fan of reflect so far, mostly because it always screws me over when I need to heal. Pretty much every boss where the Mog tips were like "bring reflect!" has been much easier for me without it, so far.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

How the hell did anyone beat this when it first came out?

a lot of people didn't. that's why they're back now in the Revenge dungeon.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Do you have both Shellga and Protectga running? Caius uses a mixture of attack types, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether an attack is physical or magical without looking up datamined statistics.

Do you have some sort of dispelling option available? Body and Soul gives him regen and +20% ATK/MAG, which is still appreciable despite hitting at least one enemy soft cap. (Banishing Strike is usually my go-to source of this.)

What medicas do you have? In my case, running with Princess's Prayer (AoE Curaga + magic blink) helps as a consistent panic button.

Caius seems comparable to U+ Bartz, in that the difficulty is pretty consistent regardless of what kind of tack you try to take with the fight. The majority of bosses have some sort of exploitable flaw that you can abuse (like Cagnazzo, of course), but in the case of Caius the fight is a more straightforward beatdown. (I would love to try fighting U+ Bartz again just to see how far I've come, since he was my first U+ kill and at the time I leaned on the Drawtaliate crutch hard.)

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Bahamut was a chump, looks like it's only U level - I was expecting a mess :)

I have a full party leveled up with every character having relic synergy. I don't have anything that's strong defensively and I get wrecked before I can knockout his first flare charge.

Is there a solid strategy against Ultimate Bahamut that I'm unaware of?

To help I'll list my synergy off the top of my head.

Aurora Rod for Aerith.
One-Winged Angel for Sephiroth *Fire Blossom comes in handy against the creepers, especially with Legends Blade attached."
Organics for Cloud.
Buster Sword for Zack. *RUSH ASSAULT SUUUUUUUUUCKS!*
I forget the name of the spear but I have the Hyper Jump Soul Break for Cid "I remember the spear has a confuse status effect. I think it's called Pole Arm but I'm not looking at my phone.*

I also have a fully leveled up Vincent but no relic gun as well as a fully leveled Yuffie, again no weapon. Tifa is pretty high in terms of level *78 or 79 I think* as well and Force Knuckles + is my current best fist weapon.

I only have two tier five armor. Soldier Breastplate and Precious Watch which I give to Cloud and Aerith.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wow, anyone got some tips for Caius?

He's a real fucker, the three free hits makes him RNG as hell. The only way to kill his Body and Soul offensive buff is with something like Cleansing Strike that hits ATK/MAG. iirc you can actually remove the RES debuff he puts on you with Eye of Bahamut by reapplying Shell or something like that? Otherwise, something like Celes's default soul break that gives a RES buff will overwrite it. Provided you can keep his MAG down and Eye of Bahamut doesn't gently caress you over it's not too bad. His Giga Gravitons were only hitting me for like ~400, or ~1k on people that were Eyed.

FWIW, Caius definitely gave me the most trouble when I beat him back in the day, the original Bahamut SIN and Cagnazzo were hard but they didn't even compare.

Munoma posted:

Bahamut readies Flares at certain health thresholds. Just save your burst for when he's about to use them. You have better synergy than I did when I beat it, but I also had native wall, so try using a defensive RW instead of an offensive one. Shout wasn't in the game yet the first time we fought Bahamut SIN. Also, when SIN hits low health, he's going to use Flare. If you have no magic mitigation it's gonna hit for about 6k.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I would be alright with Cagnazzo if he didn't have stupid aoe sleep and slow along with all his other bullshit. This fight is terrible and would totally pass as a U++ these days.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I would be alright with Cagnazzo if he didn't have stupid aoe sleep and slow along with all his other bullshit. This fight is terrible and would totally pass as a U++ these days.

Cagnazzo's a real shitter. If you have *any* way to eat magic, like Runic, Indomitable Blade, or Grand Cross, use it. It'll eat his Stop counters as well. Additionally you're opening yourself up to losing to RNG really badly if you don't take three separate people with lightning attacks and a way to dispel his haste. Honestly the most obnoxious thing about the fight is how he flips between being vulnerable and immune to ice and lightning.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Trip report on REVENGE. :black101:

Bahamut was a goddamn joke with my current setup. Turns out it's a bit easier when I now have access to Boost- and Faithga's, Sentinel Grimoire, an actual medica, several SSB's + BSB's, and actual AoE skill hones. This felt so good. Also I'm rather glad they actually added the Black Crystal that we missed out on the first time.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Heaven Spacey posted:

Bahamut readies Flares at certain health thresholds. Just save your burst for when he's about to use them. You have better synergy than I did when I beat it, but I also had native wall, so try using a defensive RW instead of an offensive one. Shout wasn't in the game yet the first time we fought Bahamut SIN. Also, when SIN hits low health, he's going to use Flare. If you have no magic mitigation it's gonna hit for about 6k.

I don't think the boss fight is unbalanced *yet* but it's been a bit of a headscratcher. I'm considering giving Aurora Rod to Rosa and have her rapid fire divine heal with Ace Striker.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the power creep is real, Bahamut SIN went down like a chump. Cagnazzo I just brute forced through and ate every tsunami - one of my thunder guys was stopped the whole fight.

Good event for older players.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I don't really have any four synergy but I have Maelstrom's Bolt for Ashe and Crushing Blow for Lightning.

Should I take the risk?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

I don't really have any four synergy but I have Maelstrom's Bolt for Ashe and Crushing Blow for Lightning.

Should I take the risk?

Well, it's hardly a risk at 1 stamina per attempt, so why not? That said, Soul Breaks aren't what you're looking for. The way Cagnazzo works, is that you need to hit the lightning weakness rapidly three times when he's in Tsunami-mode, to cancel it. So it's much more important to have normal lightning skills of some sort, Thundara Strikes, Thundaga/aja, Bolt Veil, etc.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Munoma posted:

I have a full party leveled up with every character having relic synergy. I don't have anything that's strong defensively and I get wrecked before I can knockout his first flare charge.

To help I'll list my synergy off the top of my head.

Aurora Rod for Aerith.
One-Winged Angel for Sephiroth *Fire Blossom comes in handy against the creepers, especially with Legends Blade attached."
Organics for Cloud.
Buster Sword for Zack. *RUSH ASSAULT SUUUUUUUUUCKS!*
I forget the name of the spear but I have the Hyper Jump Soul Break for Cid "I remember the spear has a confuse status effect. I think it's called Pole Arm but I'm not looking at my phone.*

I also have a fully leveled up Vincent but no relic gun as well as a fully leveled Yuffie, again no weapon. Tifa is pretty high in terms of level *78 or 79 I think* as well and Force Knuckles + is my current best fist weapon.

I only have two tier five armor. Soldier Breastplate and Precious Watch which I give to Cloud and Aerith.

Only strategy needed is layers of mitigation - you don't need to use all FF7 characters by the way. Do you have a wall or a boostga?

Its just that that party is dead in the water. Let us know what relics you have and should be able to help somewhat

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

wall or a boostga?

Wall as in shell, protect?

Boostga as in Haste plus buff? :confuoot:

I don't have a unique soul break that works defense aside from bartzs Excalibur *True Legend Blade*

The best defensive spell I think I have is Divine Heal.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Wall is Sentinel's Grimoire (Tyro) or Stoneskin II (Y'shtola)

Boostga is usually a haste + attack buff, e.g. Shout (Ramza), Vessel of Fate (Onion Knight).

Divine Heal is good, use that instead of Aerith! Party wide heal and you dodge one magic attack. Better than dodging a single physical attack with no heal :v:.

Well, you can technically beat ultimate bosses without a wall or boostga, but you need characters with debuff soul breaks to stack.

How much mythril do you have?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

Wall as in shell, protect?

Boostga as in Haste plus buff? :confuoot:

I don't have a unique soul break that works defense aside from bartzs Excalibur *True Legend Blade*

The best defensive spell I think I have is Divine Heal.

Wall refers to Sentinel Grimoire from Tyro, or Stoneskin II from Yshtola. They're basically an unique stacking status effect, that gives +200% Def and Res.

Boostga/boostaga generally refers to a party wide +Atk% boost, and Faithga for +Mag% boost. Usually you want to pair them with Hastega too, so things like Shout, Sheepsong or the new Onion Knight BSB. These are very easy to find as a roaming warrior.

It's worth mentioning that the currently available Keeper's Select 2 banner has both Sentinel Grimoire and Shout available on it, making it the one-stop-shop for massive party buffs. If you get one of them, you can easily use the other one as a Roaming Warrior when needed.

Inge posted:

Well, you can technically beat ultimate bosses without a wall or boostga, but you need characters with debuff soul breaks to stack.

Eh, not really? For example, most people who finish Ult+ Cid's Missions usually do those with just Protect/Shellga + Breakdowns + Full Break. Or RW tactics where you use a suitable BSB for massive elemental damage instead of a Wall. Stacking debuffs are a massive luxury. :shrug:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 29, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Inge posted:

How much mythril do you have?

From this to...

Inge posted:

How much mythril money do you have?

It will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Attestant posted:

Eh, not really? Most people who finish Ult+ Cid's Missions usually do those with just Protect/Shellga + Breakdowns + Full Break. Stacking debuffs are a massive luxury. :shrug:

Usually with a RW Shout though, and shared medicas.

Munoma probably doesn't have full break either

e: ^ It's never worth it. Someone should put together a salty whale compendium for the next OP

• Locked thread