Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The studio paint job really does the Stormcasts no favours (although tbf neither does the fact that they're boring as balls). Their sheer blandness does make them perfect conversion fodder though.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well then they should do sculpts with open masks, exposes flesh, a hand without a gauntlet, etc.
the existing models do have some areas that are meant to be bare skin. nobody told the official painters so they just did them as metal.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The Warhammer World exclusive Sigmarine is helmetless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taking off the helmet forces them to either put a silly looking tiny head in there, or else a to-scale head twice as big as a normal GW fantasy human head. It's lose/lose.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I saw a clever army paint scheme that made me kind of want to do a Stormcast army. This guy had taken some space marines, given them all skulls for heads, and painted them like Spirit Hosts

I want to completely steal that idea but for Stormcasts. Stormcast Eternals, with skull heads, painted like ghosts. They'd be like big scooby-doo ghost knights.
There's some sigmarine->undead conversions from one of the threads that someone may be able to pinpoint. They look really great done up with skulls and/or as ancient statues come to life.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SteelMentor posted:

Wait, a normal head? Doesn't one of the earlier ones, I think with some sort of standard have a messed up zombie head?

Can GW not even make their mind up on that?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ro5s posted:

Wait, a normal head? Doesn't one of the earlier ones, I think with some sort of standard have a messed up zombie head?

It's my understanding they're effectively undead and don't really rot or age, but also don't heal. If they get hosed up but not destroyed they can reconstitute but their meat bits just stay hosed up looking.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

ro5s posted:

The Relictor?

I'm pretty sure that's a helmet given the studs match those of the Liberators and others.

I like the style of the Errant-Questor, but I've seen some neat conversions too:

Moon Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 29, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Searching for undead stormcast brought up these awesome dudes

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

It's absurd how much better these look than the official sculpts. Nice to see they finally did an official bare head model too, and the studio paintjob is a black guy to boot, I don't even remember when I last saw them do that.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Atlas Hugged posted:

The issue I have with Sigmarines is that they're intentionally soulless. They're suits of armor with something in them, be it a spirit or a body or whatever I think that's supposed to still be a mystery, but they lose their humanity a little more with each death. And this shows through in the sculpts. There's not really any individual style or characterization. Those death masks are awful. I would just get really bored painting them I think.

Here's the solution to this that GW apparently didn't manage to think up: your basic, low-ranking Sigmarines have tons of symbols from their former life strapped to them as totems (this would be a good place to throw in some easter eggs for WHFB) and as they rank up, they get more uniform and regimented-looking (possibly more like undead or Rubric marines from the Thousand Sons) because they're losing their identity.

This also means that the guys you take lots of have tons of variety and the guys you only have a couple of can all look pretty similar, aside from wargear. If you wanna change it up, have a special character who's really high-rank and powerful, but has literally never died yet, so they still have personality.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 29, 2016

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It'd also be neat if they committed to the idea of the Stormcast being all of the world's fallen heroes, not just Big Humans. Hell, having different "chapters" hailing from Orcs, Dwarves, Bretonnians, etc. could have been really interesting.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah, I could kinda see myself liking the idea of recreating a small number of my old brets as sigmarines, but they're still way too much "big human" or more specifically "hey guys we're terminators from 40k!" for me to want to look at a whole army of them.

I like Avenging Dentist's idea of basically making decay a thing, and I'd even take it further where you have basically goodguy bloodbound with only the occasional piece of armor and the more mangled and hosed up they get the more armor they need to cover that poo poo up. Make the current crop of models represent battle-weary veterans who are too far gone.

And for the love of gently caress get rid of that studio color scheme holy poo poo .

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I really hate the helmets the basic Stormcasts have going on, they just don't look intimidating or regal or even much of anything.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If Stormcast had more traditionally knightly helmets I would like them a lot more. The deathmasks just aren't appealing to me, I don't even like them on Blood Angels. There's that one squad with some third party headswaps that looks like footmen from Warcraft but the only image I can find isn't loading so I can't post it here. Those guys look great.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Found 'em

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God that third to last one owns so hard.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I think that's probably a big part of it, I spent some time looking around and they look a lot cooler with even basic head conversions:

Though I also really like the deathmasks in a "dead" legion theme:

I'm getting back in to the hobby after many years so I got some of the cheapo push-fit liberators to try painting. One of the schemes I tried was bone, which I like as an idea for Stormcast who have died too many times even if the execution isn't great:

I also really like the idea of converting them to have totems/relics from their past lives, it sounds super cool. I still have the Stormcast half of the starter box on the sprues, maybe I'll put it together after I finish my Khorne stuff.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In the lore the Stormcast Relictors have a link to the realm of death. It's suggested they might be former vampires or slaves to Nagash. Nagash shows up from time to time to try and convince them to return to his fold and when some Relictors die they don't make it back to Sigmar. They are probably still somewhat undead.

I dig the idea of a Stormcast legion that is all undead. Their armor tarnishing as soon as they leave Azyr. The idea of making specific Stormcast armies that are linked to the various realms has a bunch of modeling potential. A fire themed Stormcast legion might look really neat, sort of like the Salamanders.

For the white death legion you should mount a Templar on an undead dragon instead of a stardrake.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You did it.

You made the stormcasts look good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SRM posted:

If Stormcast had more traditionally knightly helmets I would like them a lot more. The deathmasks just aren't appealing to me, I don't even like them on Blood Angels. There's that one squad with some third party headswaps that looks like footmen from Warcraft but the only image I can find isn't loading so I can't post it here. Those guys look great.

At least with blood angels its usually just a few dudes that have them like a chaplain or Dante, not every single loving marine.

Stormcast are just so boring. Traditionally knightly helmets would be a huge improvement. Helmetless would also be pretty great and add so much more character but would be a 180 on their design. They're intentionally uniform, but that makes them super boring.

Kinda just feels like Tzeentchian Chaos Warriors though, nay?

This is legit amazing and actually makes sigmarines kinda cool.

Makes me want a legion of Aztec warriors though, like Olmec style heads...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 29, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
What really gets me is that the models are more uniform than the fluff would suggest. They have an ok (not great, but ok) core concept for a faction and then didn't live up to its promise. You could go with my previous suggestion or do the reverse and have higher-ranking guys use lots of totems in a desperate attempt to remember their past and their loved ones, with the very highest ranks finally forgetting about them and letting their little totems fall to pieces with the remaining bits still attached because they just don't care one way or the other. I'd actually be really interested in seeing a unit like that.

Also, if you want Mesoamerican guys, check out the Kukulkani from Dark Age. They're post-human Mayans and the sculpts are all great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

This literally just looks like a space marine

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

This one looks like a Gundam to me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pash posted:

But there's no windmill????

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pash posted:

As far as I can recall, there's only been one Gundam to use a hammer. And it already looked like a Space Marine

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pash posted:

Red, white, and blue with a hint of yellow - pretty distinctive gundam colors, yeah.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Chill la Chill posted:

Red, white, and blue with a hint of yellow - pretty distinctive gundam colors, yeah.

Also the the lightning thing on the mask above the eyes happens on a lot of gundams.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this is agood ol skelly man

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pash posted:

Also the the lightning thing on the mask above the eyes happens on a lot of gundams.

I can't wait for the Gundam superheavy vehicle chariot for the Sigmarites.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't wait for the Gundam superheavy vehicle chariot for the Sigmarites.

We're getting giant Duardin robots, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pash posted:

The face says "Megatron" to me.

It's just another case of the box art scheme not being particularly good - the Tempestus Scions' baby blue scheme isn't terribly appealing and people tore them to shreds when they came out, but once people started painting them in different schemes people turned around on them. Giant golden babymen is distinctive I'll give them that, but it's too cartoonish even for me, and I make cartoons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I do like what conversions people have been making to the sigmarines, I've even been tempted to scoop some off eBay cheap and get a bunch of third party heads to make it work. But then I realize I'd be paying a 'GW lovely model tax' and kind of deflates my sails.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

You can find them pretty cheap if you don't mind the ones out of the starter set. I took a quick look and saw two lots which are going for $1.25 per Liberator.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I do like what conversions people have been making to the sigmarines, I've even been tempted to scoop some off eBay cheap and get a bunch of third party heads to make it work. But then I realize I'd be paying a 'GW lovely model tax' and kind of deflates my sails.

I thought the same thing, was gonna get some for DnD as Paladins or generic knights, but came to the same conclusion

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

DaVideo posted:

You can find them pretty cheap if you don't mind the ones out of the starter set. I took a quick look and saw two lots which are going for $1.25 per Liberator.

Yeah I've picked one up for £1 plus postage that I'm going to paint up as a golem or animated statue or something.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Whats a good counter to Nugles poo poo? those fucks just wont die half the time. Im asking in general terms. Blight Kings are nasty too, but I think as KBB wrathmongers would be a good counter to them. not sure about other armies though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It took a bit, but after catching up from Thanksgiving festitivities I was able to round out the State Troops into a 20-strong block:

And the unit of 20, all ranked up:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

SRM posted:

It took a bit, but after catching up from Thanksgiving festitivities I was able to round out the State Troops into a 20-strong block:

And the unit of 20, all ranked up:

These are really nice, but they're in the wrong thread :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

State troops continue to look great! I still have a block of mine somewhere that I ought to paint at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Not a viking posted:

These are really nice, but they're in the wrong thread :v:
I mean, you're not wrong :v: there's just more interest in playing AoS in my local group right now so that's where these guys are gonna be.

Chill la Chill posted:

State troops continue to look great! I still have a block of mine somewhere that I ought to paint at some point.
Thanks! What scheme would you paint them in?

• Locked thread