Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Never would have guessed to be honest. It's surpassed GotG or are they not counting that?

GotG did about $770 mil world wide. I guess they didn't count that as a character intro story because it was an ensemble.

Strange is likely going to get close to GotG, but very unlikely to pass it, unless it becomes a huge breakout hit in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would basically have to become the most successful film in history in Japan.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pffft, don't you guys know? Only the Fantastic 4 and Iron Man are Big In Japan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

Imagine what would have happened if Disney had pushed forward in their plan to buy Hasbro.

They'd get all my money, rather than just most of it?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kevin Feige and Scott Derrickson also all but confirmed that a sequel is greenlit internally.

Obviously the skeleton is there for the sequel already, but I wonder what they will do to flesh it out more.

Are there any particularly notable stories from the comics they can borrow from?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Obviously the skeleton is there for the sequel already, but I wonder what they will do to flesh it out more.

Are there any particularly notable stories from the comics they can borrow from?

Well, Clea is a pretty big glowing one. Plus more than a handful of villains.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
scotty d wants to do nightmare

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Proving once again that the best way to make money is to make a generic, by-the-numbers action movie, throw in some neat special effects and some jokes. This movie is almost aggressive in its mediocreness. I did like Cumberbatch, though I think they'd been better off with him using his natural british accent. I kind of always pictured Dr Strange as a brit anyways for some reason.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well at the time he was created, given the character's age, he'd likely have spoken with a Mid-Atlantic accent, so he would have sounded Brit-ish.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jamesman posted:

Yeah there are a few.
Aside from some classic characters (Baron Mordu in full villain mode, Nightmare, Clea, the concept of mortality etc...) they could do The Oath, A Flight of Bones, Jason Aaron's arc or the Montasie Formula.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah there are a few.
Aside from some classic characters (Baron Mordu in full villain mode, Nightmare, Clea, the concept of mortality etc...) they could do The Oath, A Flight of Bones, Jason Aaron's arc or the Montesi Formula.

Blade...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sort of.

Like it probably could be used for Blade (and in fact it was sort of the plot for Blade Trinity.) but it is a Dr. Strange story first and foremost. (and a great one.)

And I'm fairly sure that one of the books in the mystical library was the Darkhold.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Question IRL posted:

And I'm fairly sure that one of the books in the mystical library was the Darkhold.

No, the Darkhold is elsewhere right now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ghost riders uncle has the Darkhold. He stole it from a ghost scientist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Ghost riders uncle has the Darkhold. He stole it from a ghost scientist.

A scientist who studies ghosts or a ghost who is a scientist?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The latter!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TwoPair posted:

The only problem with Dr. Strange is that at no point in the movie does Strange say anything about the hoary hosts of Hoggoth.

There are two major problems with Doctor Strange other than the generic story and his accent.

1. When he discovers the Ancient One's hidden backstory he never once says "Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

2. He doesn't even once try and 69 with his astral projected self. I know it's a Disney movie and all, but any red blooded American man would at the very least ASK about it. Like when he was giving those books back to Wong in the spellbook library he could've been all-
"And where is the... *uhhrmm* ... the uh ... (69 section)?"
And Wong could be all "Excuse me?"
And Strange is all "The uh... (theszztynrnsezyun)."
"...the wh-"
"THE SIXTY-NINE SECTION."
"Oh, right this way."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Both, actually! Sequentially

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

There are two major problems with Doctor Strange other than the generic story and his accent.

1. When he discovers the Ancient One's hidden backstory he never once says "Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

2. He doesn't even once try and 69 with his astral projected self. I know it's a Disney movie and all, but any red blooded American man would at the very least ASK about it. Like when he was giving those books back to Wong in the spellbook library he could've been all-
"And where is the... *uhhrmm* ... the uh ... (69 section)?"
And Wong could be all "Excuse me?"
And Strange is all "The uh... (theszztynrnsezyun)."
"...the wh-"
"THE SIXTY-NINE SECTION."
"Oh, right this way."

Gotta save something for Doctor Strange the XXX Parody.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Gotta save something for Doctor Strange the XXX Parody.

The costuming in that will be fantastic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

The costuming in that will be fantastic.

Too bad it can only be worn once.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish there was a bug type Eevee. And a normal type evolution.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I wish there was a bug type Eevee. And a normal type evolution.

Sounds like something Baron Mordo would say.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Huh. Well obviously I must have been talking about the upcoming detective Pikachu movie based on the popular Pokemon series of manga comics, because obviously I wouldn't post in the wrong thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

greatn posted:

Huh. Well obviously I must have been talking about the upcoming detective Pikachu movie based on the popular Pokemon series of manga comics, because obviously I wouldn't post in the wrong thread.

I can't wait to see what DeVito brings to the role.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't wait to see what DeVito brings to the role.

Dude. Don't gently caress with me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Billy Dee Williams will reprise his role of Harvey Dent/Two Face in The Batman*

*Lego Movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joel Schumacher's decision to cast Tommy Lee Jones in his worst role ever caused WB to pay Billy Dee Williams a ridiculous sum of money due to his contract guaranteeing that he'd be Two-Face eventually. So I guess that's one single good thing that movie accomplished.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Joel Schumacher's decision to cast Tommy Lee Jones in his worst role ever caused WB to pay Billy Dee Williams a ridiculous sum of money due to his contract guaranteeing that he'd be Two-Face eventually. So I guess that's one single good thing that movie accomplished.

Kiss From A Rose makes it two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Billy Dee Williams will reprise his role of Harvey Dent/Two Face in The Batman*

*Lego Movie

The fact we were denied Billy Dee Two Face is forever a sin and I am glad it is being rectified.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

purple death ray posted:

Kiss From A Rose makes it two.

Pretty much the whole soundtrack is great actually. Probably to this day one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever. Where else are you going to find Method Man, Seal, Michael Hutchence, Nick Cave, and The Flaming Lips on the same CD?

It even has a pretty good U2 song on it, a miracle in itself.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 1, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Pretty much the whole soundtrack is great actually. Probably to this day one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever. Where else are you going to find Method Man, Seal, Michael Hutchence, Nick Cave, and The Flaming Lips on the same CD?

Counterpoint: The 3rd worst Smashing Pumpkins song is on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Counterpoint: The 3rd worst Smashing Pumpkins song is on it.

The Smashing Pumpkins are not on the Batman Forever soundtrack. Also all their songs are tied for worst.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

The Smashing Pumpkins are not on the Batman Forever soundtrack. Also all their songs are tied for worst.

By your logic they're all tied for third worse as well, if they made more than three

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That thing's a movie soundtrack the way Big Shiny Tunes 5 is a movie soundtrack.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

poo poo you are right. Getting Forever mixed up with B + R, but you are wrong about all their songs being the worst so I will consider this a moral victory.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

That thing's a movie soundtrack the way Big Shiny Tunes 5 is a movie soundtrack.

Sorry for the double post but your Canadian is showing.

Also Big Shiny Tunes 2 forever!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now That's What I Call Music is the generic North American reference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I acknowledge and appreciate that you used Big Shiny Tunes and didn't use a reference more widely recognized outside of this great country.

Edit: beaten like the typical insufferable Canuck who always gets giddy whenever something Canadian is mentioned anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

Sorry for the double post but your Canadian is showing.

Also Big Shiny Tunes 2 forever!

Pfft, they're no Much Dances.

( felt the need to get even more deep Canadian there).

• Locked thread