Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Hey there, I'm looking for the following and initially saw some magically priced 690 CAD$ fares which have since disappeared.

-Vancouver - London, or Vancouver - Paris (Round Trip)
-2 Adults Economy
-July 18th - August 22nd.

I am very flexible with dates, but would like to go for that length. I'm hoping that I can find these fares again but might settle very soon for the 790 CAD$ I've also seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is a great price especially with the recent CAD exchange rate. I'm more surprised you can book that far in advance...

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
I'm hoping this is within the scope of the thread:

I want to go to Tokyo (HND or NRT, I don't care) from the Netherlands in May 2017. A month ago when I was looking at flights, I saw flights going GRQ-CPH-NRT on one ticket for around €650 in Y on Star Alliance (LOT from GRQ-CPH, SAS CPH-NRT).
Now, I can leave from AMS, but i'd prefer to go from GRQ, since it's literally 10 miles from my house.

Hoewever, when I look at Google flights / Skyscanner / whatevver now, the GRQ-CPH leg is still bookable, the CPH-NRT leg is bookable, but not together. All GRQ-NRT flights are either €2000+ or involve weird routings (and i mean weird, like literally GRQ-CPH-FRA-DUS-NRT)

Any idea why I can't book my earlier itinerary anymore? I tried multiple dates over multiple months.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It was a codeshare flight. The airline had an allotment of seats to sell from their partner. Those seats have been sold so that's why it disappeared. Depending on how comfortable you are with booking two separate tickets you can book those legs separately but you'll have to check back in for each leg rather than being shuffled through and if you miss the flight you're not going to be automatically rebooked.

Might be worth a shot at calling the airline directly and seeing what they can do on their end without putting you on fifty different connections.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Insane fare sale from almost anywhere in the US to almost anywhere in Europe today. As early as next week. SAN -> AMS $398 R/T. From almost any airport in the US.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

E_Motion posted:

I'm hoping this is within the scope of the thread:

I want to go to Tokyo (HND or NRT, I don't care) from the Netherlands in May 2017. A month ago when I was looking at flights, I saw flights going GRQ-CPH-NRT on one ticket for around €650 in Y on Star Alliance (LOT from GRQ-CPH, SAS CPH-NRT).
Now, I can leave from AMS, but i'd prefer to go from GRQ, since it's literally 10 miles from my house.

Hoewever, when I look at Google flights / Skyscanner / whatevver now, the GRQ-CPH leg is still bookable, the CPH-NRT leg is bookable, but not together. All GRQ-NRT flights are either €2000+ or involve weird routings (and i mean weird, like literally GRQ-CPH-FRA-DUS-NRT)

Any idea why I can't book my earlier itinerary anymore? I tried multiple dates over multiple months.

I still see those flights on other dates for less than €650. Don't see it in May for some reason. Maybe the codeshare ends? Or you look at the wrong dates last time?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

peanut posted:

That is a great price especially with the recent CAD exchange rate. I'm more surprised you can book that far in advance...

Most airlines sell tickets for 330 days out.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I still see those flights on other dates for less than €650. Don't see it in May for some reason. Maybe the codeshare ends? Or you look at the wrong dates last time?

You nailed it. I contacted SAS, and they don't have a codeshare with LOT after March anymore.
I don't wanna book separate tickets, so I'll guess i'll just leave from AMS.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

photomikey posted:

Insane fare sale from almost anywhere in the US to almost anywhere in Europe today. As early as next week. SAN -> AMS $398 R/T. From almost any airport in the US.

Snagged a trip to BCN for MLK Weekend. :cool:

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Anyone know, how's CDG for transfers? I am looking at LHR to KIX, all Air France flights, but the transfer in CDG is only about a hour and a half..

Worried the French might get up to Frenchy antics and miss the connection.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's more than enough time, CDG is pretty efficient. Last time I transferred through there I had about 60 minutes and still had time to grab breakfast.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Church Ladyboy posted:

Anyone know, how's CDG for transfers? I am looking at LHR to KIX, all Air France flights, but the transfer in CDG is only about a hour and a half..

Worried the French might get up to Frenchy antics and miss the connection.

You should be fine, although I'd be a little bit worried about it in midwinter in case of weather delays since both London and Paris panic and fall apart if someone thinks there might be frost somewhere.

But I guess worst case scenario they put you up in a hotel and you get to enjoy a day in Paris.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The least amount of time you have to spend in CDG the better.

(90 minutes should be fine)

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Thanks guys, this is for next year spring so not too worried about winter weather bogging me down.

Last time I got stuck on Paris was because of strikes years ago.. Cant really guess when those come around again though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Church Ladyboy posted:

Thanks guys, this is for next year spring so not too worried about winter weather bogging me down.

Last time I got stuck on Paris was because of strikes years ago.. Cant really guess when those come around again though.

And now Germany is now the worst offender for strikes, as of the past couple years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

And now Germany is now the worst offender for strikes, as of the past couple years.

Isn't it mainly just Lufthansa over and over again, and not the German airport system itself? Or is it everyone?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Isn't it mainly just Lufthansa over and over again, and not the German airport system itself? Or is it everyone?

Yeah, it's just Lufthansa. And not, for some inscrutable reason, their subsidiary brands Swiss and German/Eurowings. I guess the contracts must be separate.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Have any Lufthansa officials been dragged into the streets or are we not at AirFrance strike levels yet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Argh I totally missed this flight at this price and now everything else is $200 more for these dates. It was only a few days ago, what are the likelihoods of similar pricing coming back? I know it's quite short notice, but was only able to confirm these dates recently and now I'm quite set on them.

Can be departing from either Miami or Ft Lauderdale and going to either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FWIW ~$600 is still a solid price for a non stop transatlantic flight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Argh I totally missed this flight at this price and now everything else is $200 more for these dates. It was only a few days ago, what are the likelihoods of similar pricing coming back? I know it's quite short notice, but was only able to confirm these dates recently and now I'm quite set on them.

Can be departing from either Miami or Ft Lauderdale and going to either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Unlikely. That was a fare sale started by Delta and then matched by other airlines. Those things happen occasionally but not frequently and certainly not in any way that can be measured or predicted. $600 for a TATL flight is indeed a pretty good fare and I would jump on it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah Delta burnt fares to the ground, I wish I had a trip in the works because I would have jumped on those prices immediately. ~$400 to pretty much anywhere in Europe was absolute insanity.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have the option to add frequent flyer reward points or w/e onto an upcoming flight. They don't accept airmiles as a program. Is there a program with an airline that is better than the others that I should sign up for? I fly infrequently and I'm based out of Vancouver BC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thanks for the info, wish I could've jumped on it there and then. I've only seen close to $700 not $600 but will keep looking and get something booked. That's the rough price we usually pay hence the $474 price was 'wow'. Kinda wished I'd booked it and taken the risk now!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

So I have the option to add frequent flyer reward points or w/e onto an upcoming flight. They don't accept airmiles as a program. Is there a program with an airline that is better than the others that I should sign up for? I fly infrequently and I'm based out of Vancouver BC.

Whatever airline you're booking through will only accept points from that airline or its partners. So if you're flying AC you'd need Aeroplan points or another Star Alliance membership. Honestly, if you don't fly frequently, I wouldn't even bother with it. You get so few points from actually flying that it's not worth it.

The only reason I even input my aeroplan number into my flights is because I fly with them so much that I sometimes get free upgrades; ended up in business from Montreal to Vancouver last month.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

Whatever airline you're booking through will only accept points from that airline or its partners. So if you're flying AC you'd need Aeroplan points or another Star Alliance membership. Honestly, if you don't fly frequently, I wouldn't even bother with it. You get so few points from actually flying that it's not worth it.

The only reason I even input my aeroplan number into my flights is because I fly with them so much that I sometimes get free upgrades; ended up in business from Montreal to Vancouver last month.

If I put your aeroplan number in will I get a free upgrade :v:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

VelociBacon posted:

If only wishing made it so.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

hahaha I wish

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You have to remember that Air Canada charges such an unholy amount for a business class upgrade that it's very costly for them to offer free upgrades to anyone.

Seriously, an upgrade to business class on a single flight from Toronto to Calgary would've cost $500 than my entire YYC-FLL-YYC itinerary in February, business class on all four segments. They are hosed in the mind. And what's even more hosed is that the business class cabin was full, so somebody must be paying that amount.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

PT6A posted:

You have to remember that Air Canada charges such an unholy amount for a business class upgrade that it's very costly for them to offer free upgrades to anyone.

Seriously, an upgrade to business class on a single flight from Toronto to Calgary would've cost $500 than my entire YYC-FLL-YYC itinerary in February, business class on all four segments. They are hosed in the mind. And what's even more hosed is that the business class cabin was full, so somebody must be paying that amount.

Are you sure that the business cabin sells out as opposed to filling up due to upgrades? It's definitely possible that they make more money by selling out a portion of the cabin at exorbitant prices that businesses are willing to pay than lowering the price enough to sell every seat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

asur posted:

Are you sure that the business cabin sells out as opposed to filling up due to upgrades? It's definitely possible that they make more money by selling out a portion of the cabin at exorbitant prices that businesses are willing to pay than lowering the price enough to sell every seat.

I suppose that's possible, but I'd imagine they would've offered me a paid upgrade from my economy fare if they weren't confident about making some money off the seat. They said the only way to "upgrade" would be to buy the full business class fare.

Maybe Air Canada just hates me and/or is a terrible garbage airline run by assholes.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I'm trying to piece together flights from YYC-BCN in March. The cheapest transatlantic legs are on Westjet (YYC-LGW), but that means buying separate tickets for LON-BCN. I'm planning on visiting a friend on the outbound leg, so I'm not worried there, but the inbound leg would have me landing at LGW at 9AM on a Vueling flight, collecting baggage and checking in for an 11:35AM Westjet flight. Is 2.5h enough for this at LGW? They don't interline.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

spoof posted:

I'm trying to piece together flights from YYC-BCN in March. The cheapest transatlantic legs are on Westjet (YYC-LGW), but that means buying separate tickets for LON-BCN. I'm planning on visiting a friend on the outbound leg, so I'm not worried there, but the inbound leg would have me landing at LGW at 9AM on a Vueling flight, collecting baggage and checking in for an 11:35AM Westjet flight. Is 2.5h enough for this at LGW? They don't interline.

That's plenty unless you get delayed. 90 minutes is about the minimum possible time for such a transfer in LGW.

If you get delayed by more than an hour or so, you'll lose entire Vueling flight (including the return from BCN to LGW) though. So, I guess it depends on how pissed off you would be if you had to spend $200 at the airport for a new ticket.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saladman posted:

That's plenty unless you get delayed. 90 minutes is about the minimum possible time for such a transfer in LGW.

If you get delayed by more than an hour or so, you'll lose entire Vueling flight (including the return from BCN to LGW) though. So, I guess it depends on how pissed off you would be if you had to spend $200 at the airport for a new ticket.

He's visiting a friend on the outbound leg, so the Vueling flight is safe if I'm understanding correctly (I take it he'll be spending time in London itself). On the way back, the WestJet flight is the most likely to be delayed because the 767s are beset with mechanical issues. I'd have to be saving a lot of money to put up with WestJet over BA on that route, though. A lot of money...

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

spoof posted:

It's a bit tight especially with a TATL connection but you're in the same terminal and on a flight that has a decent on-time performance rating so you should be fine. EU passport or e-gate access == more fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
edit: ignore me

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Savings are 300-400 CAD over *A and 500 over BA. Where does WestJet long haul lie on the Air Transat to Singapore continuum? I have an EU passport so looks like that transfer should be doable, at least.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spoof posted:

Savings are 300-400 CAD over *A and 500 over BA. Where does WestJet long haul lie on the Air Transat to Singapore continuum? I have an EU passport so looks like that transfer should be doable, at least.

No worse, most likely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

spoof posted:

From what I've heard, it's basically fine, but their 767s are apparently plagued with maintenance headaches. Assuming the flight attendants don't actually kick you in the testicles repeatedly, it'd be better than Air Transat. gently caress Air Transat.

Do remember that, if you're looking at the Econo fare, you will have to pay for checked baggage and possibly some other stuff that's included with AC or BA. It won't wipe out the savings, but it will cut into it if you plan to take one or two checked bags and select a seat ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at the idea of paying a premium to fly on BA's 787 (3-3-3 seating)

(as long as the other airline is not Ryanair or Vueling)