Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife's pixel arrived 3 hours ago and she hasn't activated it because she doesn't want to use it without a case and I'm dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

So I finally decided a Pixel was going to cost way too much and bought a used Nexus 6P off of Swappa, now I'm wondering what the goon consensus is on cases for it?

Not really sure of my specific needs, I'm pretty careful and haven't broken a phone yet (well not my phones anyway!) by dropping it or doing anything stupid, I don't work construction or plan to go swimming with it or anything, but otherwise I think I'm pretty much just an average, general-purpose person, if that helps at all!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

So I finally decided a Pixel was going to cost way too much and bought a used Nexus 6P off of Swappa, now I'm wondering what the goon consensus is on cases for it?

Not really sure of my specific needs, I'm pretty careful and haven't broken a phone yet (well not my phones anyway!) by dropping it or doing anything stupid, I don't work construction or plan to go swimming with it or anything, but otherwise I think I'm pretty much just an average, general-purpose person, if that helps at all!

I can only speak to the one case I have experience with, but I love my Spigen case.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

My wife's pixel arrived 3 hours ago and she hasn't activated it because she doesn't want to use it without a case and I'm dying.

drat just go to Verizon and get a case already.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I always end up coming back to the Speck case on my 6P.. I have other cases for different occasions like a heftier one for when I think I may be more prone to dropping my phone, or a slimmer (and slicker) Spigen for when the Speck would be difficult to get in and out of smaller pockets, but the Speck is definitely the better case out of all of them. I just noticed a crack in the side of it today so I'll probably order another some time soon.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

drat just go to Verizon and get a case already.

The deal came with a case but the one she liked was out of stock so she's waiting until it comes in so she can exchange it. :emo:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Slap some grip tape on it

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

Yeah it's one of those personal preferences everyone has. I often lay my phone on a desk - it's less conspicuous in certain situations than sitting there clutching it. And whilst probably the ultimate lazy first world problem, picking it up off the desk to scan my finger is a pain in the arse.

Thanks for the update!
I'm using a 6P right now... it's bigger than I'd like. The 3T looks to be too, but at least it's a fraction smaller.

Great to hear you're happy with it. Mine just shipped today. I got cold feet and hit cancel, but an hour later it shipped anyway. I was pondering whether to receive it or turn it away for a refund as in paper specs it's an improvement over the 6P but in many other ways (camera, screen, speaker) it's a downgrade and the general consensus of paying about £100-200 (after selling the 6P second hand and factoring in the case) to move from 6P to 3T seems to be "are you out of your tiny little mind, what the gently caress are you thinking?"
Either way though I could've done with an upgrade as I made the mistake of getting the 32GB 6P and am really struggling for space all the time. I decided, as one of their bundles says, "go big or go home" and plumped for 128GB. So that might help.

SOT on my 6P was 1 hour 55 with 15% left earlier haha, I do have way too many notifications on though.

So is the screen okay? I've seen a few grumblings about the text clarity with the pentile subpixel arrangement at 1080p, but am not sure if it's just nerdwhinge about things no one will notice in the real world.
Also side by side camera comparisons I saw looked.... not so good... (even compared to the Moto G) but I have a feeling this is software. That it can save in RAW is a major saviour there.

===
I'm trying to promise myself not to keep chopping and changing and just stick to something for 2 years this time. If I keep this, I think I'll promise it for Android but if it turns out bad there's no guarantee I won't sod off back to iPhones - they're limited, but consistent. I've toyed with re-buying an iPhone 6 more than once (they're probably good for another year or two and can be had for a reasonable price), only stopped by the fact that's what I started with when switching to Android and it'd make all the money wasting hopping around Android phones feel worse :shrug:

Today went from about 77 % battery this morning to 47 % 14 hours later. Maybe an hour screen on time, two hours as a wifi hot spot for my laptop. Charged back to 85 % in a half hour.

No issues with the display. Overall for me I'd rather a lower resolution display (though my eyes wouldn't really notice the difference anyway) with better battery life than a higher resolution display. The higher resolution might be nice for VR but that might be 1 % of my use so not worth it overall.

So far the only thing that hasn't thrilled me is the camera, but to be fair I haven't given it a chance. I've only taken three shots in bad lighting indoors. They came out better than my Nexus 5 but I'd hoped for more. I think part of it is just sorting out the camera settings. E.g.: tap to focus on a point and I think it will continuously refocus on that point. Hold to lock focus and it won't refocus at all. I just have to poke at it a bit, try to find things to read. Comes down to the bane of my existence with new tech: no detailed manuals like there used to be, no easy way to find exactly how to do things.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have a LG V20 and have an opinion on it

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So looking at all the reviews and features on the new pixel it looks like a legitimately awesome phone. I keep seeing it referred to as the Android iPhone which in all honesty sounds fantastic. I just have a couple questions/concerns

My last two phones have been the droid turbo and droid turbo 2. I have loved both of them for the incredible battery life and what seems to be a more durable than most exterior, especially the shattershield on the turbo 2.

So does anyone have any idea what the battery life for the pixel is compared to the turbos? Am I going to have to baby a pixel more like an iPhone than my previous androids? Also I don't know if I could give up the Moto active display, does Google's version work anywhere near as well now?

All the other features seem spot on for what I want I but those few things feel like a deal breaker for me if they're not up to par

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would love to have a pixel or v20 but no qi charging is a deal breaker for me.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't know if I could ever give up wireless charging tbh, especially with fast wireless charging being almost as fast as plugging it in.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Radiation Cow posted:

And is it okay? It's most likely the phone I'm going to be upgrading to and I'd like to know if it's terrible or not before I take the plunge.

Seems fine to me!

But all I do is text and browse the forums

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ratbert90 posted:

I would love to have a pixel or v20 but no qi charging is a deal breaker for me.

You're going to be stuck on your current phone forever then.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I used a wireless charger for a bit on my Nexus. It was neat, but ended up using a wire most of the time. Is it a tech that just didn't catch on much?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You're going to be stuck on your current phone forever then.

Why? Qi is a standard and Samsung at least seems to adhere to it. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Why? Qi is a standard and Samsung at least alone seems to adhere to it. :shrug:

FTFY. And what does being a standard have to do with anything? Qi is not the only wireless charging standard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

FTFY. And what does being a standard have to do with anything? Qi is not the only wireless charging standard.

Ok? There are wireless charging standards and there doesn't seem to be any reason that a new phone couldn't use one of them.

Are you happy now?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Ok? There are wireless charging standards and there doesn't seem to be any reason that a new phone couldn't use one of them.

Are you happy now?

I was never unhappy with your post. You said no qi charging was a dealbreaker and that Samsung uses it, I added that Samsung is the only big company making qi charging phones right now, and it isn't even clear that qi will be the dominant standard if wireless charging takes off.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I was never unhappy with your post. You said no qi charging was a dealbreaker and that Samsung uses it, I added that Samsung is the only big company making qi charging phones right now, and it isn't even clear that qi will be the dominant standard if wireless charging takes off.

Fair enough; I should have said "wireless" instead of "qi".

I am not stuck in favor specifically of QI, I just love wireless charging and not having it on a phone is a deal breaker for me. :unsmith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wireless charging makes a phone thicker and puts limitations on the material of a phone's back as well as its internal construction. That's been enough for most manufacturers to give it a pass. It would be nice if it got a revival, but it seems unlikely now.

If course Apple may include it on their next phone, but you can bet it won't be open Qi.

I thought I would miss it terribly when I moved to my MXP last year, but I didn't.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Wireless charging makes a phone thicker and puts limitations on the material of a phone's back as well as its internal construction. That's been enough for most manufacturers to give it a pass. It would be nice if it got a revival, but it seems unlikely now.

If course Apple may include it on their next phone, but you can bet it won't be open Qi.

I thought I would miss it terribly when I moved to my MXP last year, but I didn't.

I really don't care about thickness personally, and would rather phones actually get a bit thicker. (I know manufactures care though :smith:)

I have a wireless charging cradle on my desk that my phone sits in all day, I love it and would hate to give it up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just don't see a need to constantly charge a phone all day anymore. When phones easily chug along at 6+ hr SOT and can recover over 80% of their charge in under an hour, I rarely have a need to even think about charging during the day.

If for some reason I want to enter the evening with a fuller battery, I'll plug it in for a half hour or so before l leave work or just plug it in while driving.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Qi charging coils add no thickness at all, the antenna itself is so thin that it must be in the tenths of millimeters.

The real reason for its disappearance on Nexus/Pixel devices was the move to an aluminum shell, and I'm of the understanding that it's technically possible to still include it even with that but I'm not aware of any manufacturer who did. That said, it's probably not coming back unless Apple includes it (and they could very well do that, they used Qi for the Apple Watch) then of course everyone will have it (a year later).

bull3964 posted:

I just don't see a need to constantly charge a phone all day anymore. When phones easily chug along at 6+ hr SOT and can recover over 80% of their charge in under an hour, I rarely have a need to even think about charging during the day.

If for some reason I want to enter the evening with a fuller battery, I'll plug it in for a half hour or so before l leave work or just plug it in while driving.

Honestly the best thing isn't the fuller battery, it's the ease of use. I'll admit QuickCharge mitigates some of the need for it, but it doesn't solve the main issue for me which is the ability to just toss the phone somewhere visible and not have to fiddle with anything.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ordered a G4 Play, received a crushed parcel.* Phone and wall charger look okay but the battery's very bent. And it looks like only skeezy sites and zero-review ebay accounts have the GK40 battery for sale.

Anyone know how to get one from a trustworthy vendor? Motorola isn't selling any and I didn't see any after-market equivalent but I'm sleep deprived and also bad at cell phones so I could've overlooked something

(*E-mailed my service provider yesterday afternoon. Waiting to hear back)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ratbert90 posted:

Why? Qi is a standard and Samsung at least seems to adhere to it. :shrug:

But that would require buy a Samsung phone.

bull3964 posted:

I just don't see a need to constantly charge a phone all day anymore.

I never used it to charge all day. It was just really convenient to sit it on a cradle at night and not have to find a cable in the dark and get it inserted the right way while trying to be quiet because my wife has been in bed asleep for 2 hours by the time I come to bed.

At least USB C is easier to plug in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Surprise surprise, no one cares about wireless charging when a) your battery lasts a sufficient length of time b) charging is quick and c) you have a cable that's not a piece of poo poo and annoying to plug in

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Oh, I still wish the Pixel XL had it. But I am a big boy so I can deal with it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The last time I had a wireless charging-capable phone was the Palm Pixi. It was very nice to just stick it to the charging pad before bed instead of trying to feel around for the right cable like I have to do now. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

Can I just mention how nice that phone was for its time? It was so small and nice. RIP Palm

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

azurite posted:

The last time I had a wireless charging-capable phone was the Palm Pixi. It was very nice to just stick it to the charging pad before bed instead of trying to feel around for the right cable like I have to do now. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

Can I just mention how nice that phone was for its time? It was so small and nice. RIP Palm

WebOS was and still is the best mobile OS ever made.
I had the pre and I miss it terribly. :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The N5 with the wireless base with the magnets (which IIRC was how the Pre did it) was fantastic. The phone aligned itself, and it worked fantastically. I lament it's loss, but with USB-C it's easier than the old microusb, so it's not so bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like the magsafe knockoff things you can buy and stick into the charging port

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I feel like my pixel charging cable will last longer simply because I don't have to ever twist it around to orient it.

Wireless charging is cool, but if my phone is charging I've put it down for a while on purpose and don't really need to save that .7 second it takes to pull the cord out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Duggler posted:

Wireless charging is cool, but if my phone is charging I've put it down for a while on purpose and don't really need to save that .7 second it takes to pull the cord out.

This is pretty much my take on wireless charging. I don't know if any of my phones have actually even supported it, because I never felt the urge to shell out for a wireless charger in the first place.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My nightstand has a Qi charger built-in, which was neat, but now it's just an annoying bump.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I used to really be a big sucker for wireless charging, but I charge my phone so infrequently nowadays it's really not a big deal. I don't need wireless charging for something I plug in before I go to sleep.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wireless charging did save my Tegra Note 7 tablet as like all of them, the MicroUSB port WILL break, and you have two options, solder a usb cable to permanently dangle from the tablet, or a Qi pad between the copper cooling pad and the back cover which keeps the tablet from looking janky as hell, and saves it from life as broken useless tech.

Nvidia never made a batch of replacement daughter boards that house the stupid one-off MicroUSB port and for how easy it is to replace the drat thing, it is annoying as hell that once it breaks, hopefully you never need to use the USB connection again. :argh:

And for the Nexus 6P Case discussion, or pretty much any phone case reccomendation, the Spigen Hybrid Clear Case is fantastic in both feel, and being clear to let the phone actually be seen while completely protected all around (still get a glass screen protector of course).

Only caveat for that, watch out on new devices for Spigen's first runs as some of their early cases for phones like the HTC 10 had a cutout separate for the camera and flash, and doing that left a plastic bridge between the flash and camera lens causing the flashs light to spill into the camera when taking shots destroying the image. The 2nd run fixed this by having a proper full single cutout from the camera to flash but that doesn't mean Spigen has learned their lesson with the next new phone.

BTW, Google Home is pretty dang impressive as I discover its limits, I practically mumbled for it to play some music this morning, and it heard me correctly from 2 rooms away...

That and similar to Spotify, but my ad blocking on my router blocks the ads for the free Google Play service which is nice.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 29, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wireless charging was nice to have, but I barely ever used it, since I could plug in for 1/4th the time and get 2x the charge thanks to Quick Charge. And, other than having to buy a handful of new cables and chargers (which I only really did because I wanted to get the full power output of C-to-C, USB-C has been great. That said, sweet jesus, the charging port on the Pixel is snug.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RZA Encryption posted:

My nightstand has a Qi charger built-in, which was neat, but now it's just an annoying bump.

Yay furniture that can go obsolete!

At least you don't have to install a security patch so it doesn't become part of a botnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I used to be a Qi diehard but now that I have USB-C fast charging and a big battery phone I really don't miss it that much.