Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also tried the sinking the belgrano scenario but I lost contact wtih it and failed. I'm bad at modern naval warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its tricky! But it sounds like you guys are on the right track

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58832&start=120

Bottom of this page. This is out of left field, so I apologize. But how was this kind of range calculated?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58832&start=120

Bottom of this page. This is out of left field, so I apologize. But how was this kind of range calculated?

Often its just from the manufacturer's claims especially since the range is a flat 80.0 nm

That isn't an effective range value for TV systems; cmano takes into account horizons, atmospheric lensing, weather, lighting conditions to actually calculate range.

TV/EO/IR systems have a huge huge pile of modifiers to the point where the range in the DB is pretty meaningless.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wow that thread seemed to be mostly pure concentrate Serb nationalism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wow that thread seemed to be mostly pure concentrate Serb nationalism

eugen.txt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I played the first CMNAO scenario, futzed around with the interface, discovered the insert key on my laptop doesn't work, managed to shoot down a whole bunch of MiGs, vaugely shot at a bunch of AA and hit some of it but apparently not enough since I kept getting alerts new missiles were getting fired. Then I had a bunch of bombers go blow up the base but they only got part of it and one got shot down by AA, but then the AA seemed to run out of ammo. Then I spent two hours rearming and was told the scenario was over and I had scored 700 points with no explanation of what got me those points, plus an unorganized breakdown of what I blew up.

I think I like it?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to the family!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:xcom: but with cmano instead of xcom

sounds like you are on the right track!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

See what I liked about XCOM (especially compared to the original) is how it's basically sidmeier.txt in that it's all about presenting clear interesting choices to the player (even if the choices aren't quite as interesting as they think they are, action denial > flat damage >>>>> everything). When something goes horribly wrong I can point out what happened, even in the (rarer than you think) occasion the answer is "lol RNG hosed you :xcom:" CMNAO has cool things going on from what I can tell but it's hard to translate what happens into "what did I do, what should I have done, what did the enemy do, what should I do next time"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's due in large part to the fact that its less game-ified ("You have a 33% chance to hit, fire or no?") and more like a simulation. There's a shitton of RNG in everything and you just have to hope you get it. Sometimes your pilot fucks up. A lot of it goes into setting up the proper strategies/tactics and hoping your virtual people do a good job. Unlike XCOM, where you control every action a soldier takes and can play risk management, CMANO has you telling them what you'd LIKE them to do and you have to hope they don't gently caress up.

Sometimes you get Maverick, sometimes you get Goose.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wasn't Goose the RIO?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

This Ultimate General game is pretty hilarious. I still haven't tried the campaign mode yet, but playing the Confederates at Antietam, I managed to cause nearly 50,000 Union casualties, losing 20,000 of my own. Artillery really seems to be the king here. Several of my batteries had over 2,000 kills each. It's so dramatically different from Scourge of War, where artillery doesn't do a goddamn thing outside of canister range. I also love how the whole battlefield turns into a blasted hellscape of thousands of artillery craters after a while.

For most of the battle I was just barely holding on, and for a while I thought I was going to lose after the final wave of Union reinforcements showed up across the river. At that point they drove me out of the sunken road, and I was only holding the Dunker church by a hair. As long as I kept my guns well fed with ammo though, they never completely broke through and eventually ran out of steam, and I was able to retake the sunken road and Burnside bridge right before the battle ended.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So correct if I'm wrong, but the new Ultimate General seems a lot like one of the Total War games without the irritating as gently caress and mostly useless strategic layer. Which makes it interesting as hell to me, despite not really giving a single gently caress about the American Civil War

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

So correct if I'm wrong, but the new Ultimate General seems a lot like one of the Total War games without the irritating as gently caress and mostly useless strategic layer. Which makes it interesting as hell to me, despite not really giving a single gently caress about the American Civil War

you mean it's a...RTS? total war didn't invent the genre

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Look! A Horse! posted:

you mean it's a...RTS? total war didn't invent the genre

I mean more specifically, rather than typical RTS styling.

Edit: to be more specific, it's not Starcraft/warcraft/whatever, not really Company of Heroes, not Wargame, etc. It most closely resembles, from what I've seen, the Total War series in terms of how unit control works, and how poo poo actually acts. So terrain makes a big difference, formations can be good or bad depending on situation, types of units(for brevity, cavalry/infantry/artillery) actually take some consideration into use aside from 'which has higher DPS and better abilities', all that kind of stuff. Not to mention you go into battle with what you have, and there's no buying/upgrading/whatever once poo poo is on.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 29, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

jBrereton posted:

It's very good!

I accidentally committed a war crime in the last tutorial mission because at no point during a wave of anti-shipping attacks did my XO say "hey that bogey at 15000ft moving at 150kt sort of towards us probably ISN'T A libyan anti submarine/shipping helicopter, it's likely a Piper Cherokee doing the same as all the other pipers have been all day". Is that realistic? Maybe! (only after the mission did I find the bit in the database where it said an Mi-14PL has a cruisng speed of about 100kt at that height, d'oh!).

cool new Metroid game posted:

WOTY, it's in the title of the game, man. :colbert:

I tried a scenario where you have to sink libyan oil tankers with a sub and accidentally sunk a neutral ship and discovered that libyan tankers can take three torpedos and a harpoon without sinking.

Heh, someone needs to link that US/Syrian AAR again. (If I had the link handy, it'd be here.)

"Yeah, totally *dunked* on that Syrian SSBN... hmmm. I didn't know they Syrians had boomers..."

Also throwing strikes at the Russian cargo ship in port because it lit off some SAM radar or whatever. :black101:

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

I mean more specifically, rather than typical RTS styling.

Edit: to be more specific, it's not Starcraft/warcraft/whatever, not really Company of Heroes, not Wargame, etc. It most closely resembles, from what I've seen, the Total War series in terms of how unit control works, and how poo poo actually acts. So terrain makes a big difference, formations can be good or bad depending on situation, types of units(for brevity, cavalry/infantry/artillery) actually take some consideration into use aside from 'which has higher DPS and better abilities', all that kind of stuff. Not to mention you go into battle with what you have, and there's no buying/upgrading/whatever once poo poo is on.

ahh i see what you mean, although i would argue that most of the features in this game derive more the old Sid Meier civil war games, which were released years before the first total war game. in fact, i wonder if the total war devs were drawing inspiration from Sid

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

MohawkSatan posted:

Yeah if you like Total War stuff then you would get the hang of Ultimate General pretty easily. Like Total War, it's not a serious grognard game but it's not completely silly either, and it has the semi-historical flavor and so on. Pretty much any tactic you use in Total War you would use here as well. Take the high ground, use cover, use combined arms, flank the enemy, break their morale, concentrate fire on weak points, etc. It's very easy to learn.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, 'flavorful' is a good way to describe it. It really feels civil-war-y

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I wonder how hard it would be to tweak speed, formation, casualty rates to get a more grognardy mod

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

MohawkSatan posted:

So correct if I'm wrong, but the new Ultimate General seems a lot like one of the Total War games

Well, it was started by Darth, of Total War's Darth Mod(s). So... they're sticking with what they know?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Welp looks like I'mma get another grog game at some point. Between grog games and flight sims, I must hate the very concept of having money

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
baloogan i bought CMANO and i must know: can shkvals explode in the tube and murder russian subs at random?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's the straight dope with regards to Order of Battle? What campaigns are good?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

baloogan i bought CMANO and i must know: can shkvals explode in the tube and murder russian subs at random?

u could script random chance for shkval explosions on russian subs with a few lines of lua

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, 'flavorful' is a good way to describe it. It really feels civil-war-y

Yeah dont expect an ultra accurate simulation, which is good for me since sometime i just want to watch large blocks of dudes lob musket fire at eachother.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kenzie posted:

Burnside bridge right before the battle ended.

Drove over that bridge today :( Or well, the bypass bridge they put up to preserve it.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
Has anyone played Gravitteam Tactics: Mius Front? From youtube videos it looks like a fun game with a lot of depth, but that interface...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Look! A Horse! posted:

Has anyone played Gravitteam Tactics: Mius Front? From youtube videos it looks like a fun game with a lot of depth, but that interface...

About once a month I get this urge to play the game, usually after watching some skillfully edited Youtube video of it. Then I lovingly click the icon and let the most un-intuitive interface ever designed wash over me. In short order I'm faced with icons and menu layouts that might be the norm in Russia but have since been surpassed by, well, proper design. Eventually the game loads and I'm faced with a checkerboard of green, blue, and orange squares, none of which really seems to make any sense whatsoever. So, I say gently caress it and click the start icon (which looks like our Pause icon).

The game runs, I get to watch pixel Nazis catch fire and run circles while my pixel Soviets mob about. It's satisfying.

Then it ends, usually suddenly, with me having no idea why.

When I do an AAR I realize the only real problem the game has is it makes Gary Grigsby look like a gifted interface designer. It's a fun game, but it's more like watching a simulation run then the active hand you play in Combat Mission games.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

CMANO: Basic Training: Submarine Operations. Your final score is: -1. :(

e; did it again and now it's 4 :boom:

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 29, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Graviteam Tactics seems really similar to the Combat Mission games, into which I have sunk hundreds of hours, but the abominable UI has always driven me off. Coincidentally, I decided to make a go at it again this weekend but I'm having to watch youtube tutorials because I can't tell what the icons are supposed to mean and mousing over every single thing on the screen for tooltips is tedious as hell.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
graviteam is a lot better than combat mission tho

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There's a dude in the group I play poo poo with that somehow has learned all of Graviteam. Every time he posts it inspires me to try again and every time I do the worst UI I've ever seen puts an end to that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The basic gameplay of Mius Front isn't that hard to pick up, once you get the hang of it it works fairly well. The LoS maps are actually very well done to show you field of fire when setting up static defenses.

The only part I never grasped was their reinforcement and resupply system for campaigns. It's such a convoluted mess I couldn't bring myself to dig into it. This eventually leads my campaign to grind to a halt when after a few successive battles my army composition is shredded and I have no tanks or my AT guns are out of shells and I'm just left with infantry.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phi230 posted:

graviteam is a lot better than combat mission tho

If it's not turn based then you shouldn't play it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

The basic gameplay of Mius Front isn't that hard to pick up, once you get the hang of it it works fairly well. The LoS maps are actually very well done to show you field of fire when setting up static defenses.

The only part I never grasped was their reinforcement and resupply system for campaigns. It's such a convoluted mess I couldn't bring myself to dig into it. This eventually leads my campaign to grind to a halt when after a few successive battles my army composition is shredded and I have no tanks or my AT guns are out of shells and I'm just left with infantry.

I agree completely. The tactical map is functional and the UI isn't that bad. The only thing that bugs me there are the color coded unit names and icons above them. I know they're in the manual, but remembering them or dragging out the manual is annoying. The key thing to remember is that in CM games, you get to micromanage every last move that your guys make. With Graviteam, you merely give orders and they carry them out to the best of their ability.

The strategic map, on the other hand, is an abysmal mess. I can't make heads nor tails of it. The supply system is a mystery and even the point occupation system eludes me. I started a campaign in Mius Front, captured the major VP in a village and held it at the end of the battle with a formidable force. Back in the strategic map, I click "next turn" and the village is suddenly back in enemy hands. I tried it five or six different times all with the same outcome. That's why I ended up putting both Graviteam titles down and I'd love to hear of a fix. I'd settle for a logical explanation, even.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe occupy the area? They're sending more troops.

Strat map is just moving stuff around. Supply is as easy as putting troops next to supply.

Right click on unit and click the + to add whatever reinforcement you want to it.

Operations in Mius Front aren't long enough for real logistics. When a company gets exhausted just rotate in the ones in reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Nenonen posted:

If it's not turn based then you shouldn't play it.