Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still don't know why people put up with all that to play ironman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Achievements give your run a purpose. There's an actual win condition and you have to work towards something.

Honestly it's kind of a problem; I started doing ironman runs like a year ago when they finally took off the monthly autosaves and my EU4 play time has shot up astronomically. Before that I'd usually play to 1550 at the most and then get bored, or just fiddle around for a few decades with a custom nation or whatever, but now I end up playing to like 1700 and at much slower speeds, so each run takes like 50+ hours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the actual end date? It's like late 1600's in my current game and I'm having blast but feel like Roy at the end of blade runner. I want more life.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

January 1st, 1821

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Baronjutter posted:

I still don't know why people put up with all that to play ironman.

I have over 1k hours almost exclusively on ironman in eu4 and have had none of these problems. The only thing I have to 'put up' with is all those steam achievements

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've never seen that stuff playing iron man. The only issues I used to have were with cloud saves, but switching to local has made me golden for ages.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only thing that sucks about Iron Man is the pause at the start of every month from your game autosaving.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

The only thing that sucks about Iron Man is the pause at the start of every month from your game autosaving.

You sound like a filthy 5 speeder :/

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The only time I'm not 5-speeding is when I need those precious few days to chase/escape from an enemy army.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eej posted:

Huh? Mine autosaves every six months.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The only bug I've noticed is sometimes my message settings won't work. My troops will get attacked and I won't get a message (and it's not me walking into enemies by mistake, I'm talking about sieging armies), a truce will end and I won't be notified, etc.

It can be a pain since I tend to play at a higher speed than I really should.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tsyni posted:

You sound like a filthy 5 speeder :/

*stares at OPM at 3 speed* something's gonna happen any second now and I woulda missed it if I was on 5 speed!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

*stares at OPM at 3 speed* something's gonna happen any second now and I woulda missed it if I was on 5 speed!

Haha, I am constantly looking at things and waiting for my opening, whether it's a war or an alliance breaking or whatever, or just planning what to do next. I listen to podcasts and just zone out at 2-3 speed for hours :|

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eej posted:

3 speed??? Slow down there youngin life's a journey

Check your settings, you can change it to 6 months I believe

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Forming Ruthenia seems bugged at the moment, at least in my game since it gave me the amazing National Ideas, ah well.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm cutting it close:

~370 provinces to go. I can faceroll almost everything but coring speed is an issue. Hopefully I can pull it off, but even if I fail it's been a good learning experience... I just gotta play at slower speeds and actually think about what I'm doing if I'm gonna go for a WC.

I should be able to unify Islam, though :downs:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
:lol:

In 400 hours I don't think I've ever run the game at anything other than speed 5.

I also never interact with the game or ui when unpaused.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone have an answer to this question:
I started a game on my laptop by launching the game through the launcher in the game files rather than through steam - anyone know if I can still earn achievements this way? I finally got another good start going as Mali and i noticed the little Trophy thing on the top right-hand side of my screen was greyed out.

Elman posted:

I'm cutting it close:

~370 provinces to go. I can faceroll almost everything but coring speed is an issue. Hopefully I can pull it off, but even if I fail it's been a good learning experience... I just gotta play at slower speeds and actually think about what I'm doing if I'm gonna go for a WC.

I should be able to unify Islam, though :downs:
Do colonial nation's lands count? You can conquer huge swaths of American colonies from Euros pretty easily and that could help you get your numbers up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fintilgin posted:

:lol:

In 400 hours I don't think I've ever run the game at anything other than speed 5.

I also never interact with the game or ui when unpaused.

I don't know how you can war at speed 5. I'm permanently on 5 at peacetime but unless I can totally faceroll a war I always drop to 4 so I can react to giant stacks popping out of fog of war before they stackwipe the 10 units I have sitting on one of their forts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quick modding support question. Would it be possible to make institutions tech group specific? I have an idea for a mod that would give each tech group its own set of institutions with their own triggers and modifiers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demiurge4 posted:

Quick modding support question. Would it be possible to make institutions tech group specific? I have an idea for a mod that would give each tech group its own set of institutions with their own triggers and modifiers.
I doubt that they are just based solely on my intuition, but that sounds like it would be really cool.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't know how you can war at speed 5. I'm permanently on 5 at peacetime but unless I can totally faceroll a war I always drop to 4 so I can react to giant stacks popping out of fog of war before they stackwipe the 10 units I have sitting on one of their forts.

Fastest spacebar in the west, partner. :c00l:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also setting everything in the game to pause and popup helps too. Turns into a turn based game almost.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Am I missing something or does Corruption not really add anything to the game? I'm playing my first game in several months and most of the new stuff is great, but Corruption feels boring and tacked on. It ticks up a little bit while I'm in the process of coring stuff and then it goes away.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bold Robot posted:

Am I missing something or does Corruption not really add anything to the game? I'm playing my first game in several months and most of the new stuff is great, but Corruption feels boring and tacked on. It ticks up a little bit while I'm in the process of coring stuff and then it goes away.

It fucks you over when you debase a lot to pay off killer debt

I got something like 36 corruption early on as Sweden to pay for my independence war and attached loans that were destroying my income, and in 1670 I still have like 20 corruption

It really sucks when you're poor, when you're the trade king of the world it's a non issue because you can just keep root out corruption maxed out if you rake in 150 ducats per month

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Debasing currency is pretty useful at times.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bold Robot posted:

Corruption's main effect is to dramatically weaken the old strategy of falling behind on admin/diplo tech while expanding as a non-western nation. Used to be you could do that, westernize, then catch up on the cheap. However, corruption starts ticking up after any of your techs falls more than 2 behind any of the other, meaning that you rarely want to let your admin/diplo techs fall more than 2-3 behind your military tech.

As a western nation, you won't run into that issue (since you'll be able to stay up-to-date more or less all of the time), plus the corruption reduction from behind 'ahead of time' on admin/diplo tech means that incidental corruption from overextension/small amounts of religious disunity/etc will vanish on its own. This is intended to simulate the essential honesty of the white man, in contrast to the dissoluteness of the decadent oriental races.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TorakFade posted:

It fucks you over when you debase a lot to pay off killer debt

I got something like 36 corruption early on as Sweden to pay for my independence war and attached loans that were destroying my income, and in 1670 I still have like 20 corruption

It really sucks when you're poor, when you're the trade king of the world it's a non issue because you can just keep root out corruption maxed out if you rake in 150 ducats per month

Why pay off debt? I'm running over 25 loans as France, totalling some 15 000+ ducats, never paid back a single one except a couple of ones by mistake (misclicks). Economic + Administrative ideas and my good friend the Pope (Also being France and having alot of tax and production income) combine to make sure interest payments hardly reach above 3 ducats a month. AAA+++ credit rating.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Debasing currency is pretty useful at times.

Yeah I do it every once in a while, my general rule of thumb being to try to keep corruption around 5.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 29, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am trying my first WC, and in 1520 or so the HRE disbanded due to female heir bug. I feel this will give me an unfair advantage. Should I restart and wait till that issue is fixed, or should I kick faces in? I also got drunk and played and now have 3 Italian vassals that are Sunni, playing as the Ottomans. I think HRE dissolution has potential to allow for the emperor(RIP) Brandenburg to become mega huge, so maybe not an advantage for me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Randarkman posted:

Why pay off debt? I'm running over 25 loans as France, totalling some 15 000+ ducats, never paid back a single one except a couple of ones by mistake (misclicks). Economic + Administrative ideas and my good friend the Pope (Also being France and having alot of tax and production income) combine to make sure interest payments hardly reach above 3 ducats a month. AAA+++ credit rating.

Because as a poor nation, especially starting out when you still don't have ideas that help your economy, interest cost will be a huge chunk of your income that will send you in a death spiral (negative income even with minimum maintenance)

I am so bitter about Sweden's economy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am trying my first WC, and in 1520 or so the HRE disbanded due to female heir bug. I feel this will give me an unfair advantage. Should I restart and wait till that issue is fixed, or should I kick faces in? I also got drunk and played and now have 3 Italian vassals that are Sunni, playing as the Ottomans. I think HRE dissolution has potential to allow for the emperor(RIP) Brandenburg to become mega huge, so maybe not an advantage for me.

So more than 300 years till break even with interest? Nice, but don't you get annoying inflation for all the rollovers?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Randarkman posted:

Loans renew every 5 years, giving you 0.1 inflation each time they do it. Those 25 loans are giving you 0.5 inflation every single year, which is more than you can passively pay down even with economic ideas + the advisor. It's a slow but steady waste of admin points for very little gain.

You definitely don't have to rush to pay off loans, some people are way too cautious with them. But I nearly always pay them off as soon as I can.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Hrm - this has to be a bug, but there seems to be absolutely no penalty to defaulting on loans from the AI. No relations penalty, no trust penalty... i guess maybe there's a hidden CB that they get? But it seems like relations should be affected, at least, and they aren't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I Keynes my way into glory every time I play in Africa, works great.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I am so bitter about Sweden's economy

I developed dalaskogen, stockholm
and other provinces as each institution unlocked. Never had any problem with my economy or techs. Been running between +3 and +9 income for most of the time between wars.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips to getting institutions to spread? I'm playing as Sweden and it takes forever for stuff to get adopted in my provinces, I'm consistently 5-10 years behind my peer nations in embracing institutions.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Develop a province with nice trade goods until the institution is fully present in that province. Stockholm or dalskogen is good for this.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Elman posted:

I'm cutting it close:

You're totally fine, not even remotely cutting it close. Most people that are new to the game don't realize, but you can do just as much conquest in the last 100 years as the rest of the game put together. Administrative efficiency is that amazing. Also, chain your wars, start one and take land then while it's coring have another war going in the other direction so that when you're done coring you can send a new peace deal for land. If you're looking for some help dealing with cores and the like just release vassals and stuff them with provinces then annex them when their loyalty starts to grow near 50%.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I doubt that they are just based solely on my intuition, but that sounds like it would be really cool.

My idea stems around trying to breathe some life into not-Europe either by player choice or as an alt-history toggle so that the AI can pursue unique institutions as well. Right now I'd like for something like the Byzantines re-conquering Greece and kicking out the Ottomans to trigger a revival that acts as their Renaissance and lets them progress down an institution path and unlock unique features. The trouble there is what happens to the rest of the eastern tech group (Poland, Muscowy, etc.) if that doesn't happen but I haven't brainstormed it too far yet. For Africa a path to civilization could be grabbing an idea group or two (maybe Administration and/or Religious) and a pre-requisite set of provinces or development would let them create their own cultural center of learning in Africa and move away from tribalism. This would be largely irrelevant in most games because Europeans colonize but if a player is in control of Kongo or another African major they could resist European empires early on.

My main interest in the idea is the Americas though, because I absolutely adore the idea of them getting their poo poo together and creating buzzling urban civilizations before the colonists get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

are you trying to say "bustling"

• Locked thread