Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gyshall posted:

Specifically, Quality of Life/UX improvements and adding more growables.

For growables, I've got some that help me replicate the 'charming' North Florida atmosphere I'm surrounded by.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767648472 The Caribbean Collection, for illegally colorful immigrant areas

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=723490964 Civil Mania! - JazzAge Tileset for housing, buildings, and public utilities that havn't been upgraded since before that pesky Civil Rights era

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=482213240 UK Industrial Units / Warehouses for mowing down all those pesky trees and filling in wetlands

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479098452 Real growables - A growable field collection for nicer agriculture

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437051479 DK's L1 American Trailer Homes (After Dark) for an idealistic portrait of rural low income housing, witht eh building themes mod setup here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471183698

Oh, and the building themes mod! Very nice to have. You can go by district and set exactly what kinds of buildings you want to grow. So Waldo and Starke stay a miserable collection of trailer homes and Dollar General's.https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=466158459 Building Themes

You too can plop a bustling southern metropolis in the middle of a pine forest and provide it with crappy public services and a lovely NFL team!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Or you can build some favelas as well!

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=621852627

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ooh, downloading that one.

I like building tiny crappy towns, I don't know why. Something about them appeals to me. I had a fantastic time driving through some country roads in South Carolina when the interstate was messed up after Hurricane Matthew, and saw a bunch of old railroad and mill towns. Sad, but you always kinda hope places like that can get on their feet again.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 19, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Specifically, Quality of Life/UX improvements and adding more growables.

I made a collection a while back, although honestly I haven't been playing lately, so let me know if anything's wrong with it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ooh, downloading that one.

I like building tiny crappy towns, I don't know why. Something about them appeals to me. I had a fantastic time driving through some country roads in South Carolina when the interstate was messed up after Hurricane Matthew, and saw a bunch of old railroad and mill towns. Sad, but you always kinda hope places like that can get on their feet again.

Please post some screenshots when possible! I'm curious about how those building look like in-game (my PC is busted and I'm around the clock with my undergrad paper).

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone have issues with save files taking a very long time to load, even without mods? Is there a solution to this?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does anyone have issues with save files taking a very long time to load, even without mods? Is there a solution to this?

Not sure about it being a problem without mods, but this mod really helped cut down on my loading times.

Latest city.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:drat: I wanna ride around that city in an open world game.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Negrostrike posted:

Please post some screenshots when possible! I'm curious about how those building look like in-game (my PC is busted and I'm around the clock with my undergrad paper).

I was trying to get good screen shots of Waldo, Palatka, and Starke, but the weather wasn't cooperating, and them my industry crashed because I ran out of ore resources. Here's the only decent one I got while messing around. If only there was more swamp and pine trees, and no mountains. Still, the composition in this shot is kinda nice.

I'll have to fix things in-game and see if I cant get better shots once my industry is less decaying. I mean, it's more accurate that way, but the pop-ups are annoying.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crisis Now posted:

Not sure about it being a problem without mods, but this mod really helped cut down on my loading times.

Latest city.

Jesus Christ man.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Half the fun of making cool cityscapes is auto-following commuters every once in awhile.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

New Ghost in the Shell is looking good.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
So Natural Disasters just released, hopefully it was worth the wait for the people that was excited about it, I never cared that much myself for disasters in city builders so I will sit this one out.

Hopefully the next DLC will be focused more on water travel like ferry's and proper waterfronts. :)

Anyway, if you want to laugh at a bunch of enraged nerds head over to the Steam forums for people crying about mods not working. I can understand the frustration but most mods will be working again within the week, all you need is patience.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does this DLC have anything interesting or is it literally just the natural disasters and their associated buildings? Like I didn't care about snow maps at all but at least Snowfall threw us a bone with trams. Is there a tram analogue here?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bold Robot posted:

Does this DLC have anything interesting or is it literally just the natural disasters and their associated buildings? Like I didn't care about snow maps at all but at least Snowfall threw us a bone with trams. Is there a tram analogue here?

Scenarios with win conditions I believe. Not sure how they work.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
There's some free stuff released with this update as well:

Edit: Switched to a Https link

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 29, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Radio thing could be entertaining. I was a huge sucker for the radio in Tropico.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There's a content creator pack and a "premium" radio station on sale now as well.

quote:

Relaxation Station includes the following tracks:

1. Incontro - White Nuckle Sadness
2. Incontro - Cantaloopia
3. Cosmic Magnolia - Solar Sister
4. Cosmic Magnolia - Fluxus
5. The Rhyme Experience - Airglow
6. Le Chet Noir - Bouganvillea Maintheme
7. Le Chet Noir - Boutique Uniq
8. Latin Eleganza - A Dawn Away
9. Latin Eleganza - Pretty Skies
10. Ladies Chill - The Royal Bahamas
11. Penalonia - Love to go
12. Penalonia - The Calm
13. Penalonia - Bathwater
14. Lock Stoch And The!° - Next Stop Horizon
15. Scarified - Normilazations
16. Café Salou - Balaeric Nights
17. Café Salou - Calma Redemtion
18. Subconsious Mindflower - Lucidity
19. Subconsious Mindflower - Big Thrill
20. Locomotive Ambience - Emoticon

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 29, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dodoman posted:

and a "premium" radio station on sale now as well.

:nallears: I can already just have spotify open in the other monitor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gobblecoque posted:

Radio thing could be entertaining. I was a huge sucker for the radio in Tropico.

Good morning, Tropico! I am Juanito, and this is Tropico News Today, taking a finger on the pulse of the nation. Stay tuned for the best music, and the most optimistic news!

I loved Juanito, only true monsters would silence him. Sunny Flowers and Lulu Marie are poor replacements.

I also enjoy the noises from didgeridoos and Vuvulzas, so I admit, my judgement may be flawed.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
I just really want them to put time in to features which improve the base simulation instead of this stuff which tacks on and doesn't really interact meaningfully. Even the features they've added have often been pretty shoddy eg night in After Dark not really affecting anything past aesthetics despite having things like funding different at night, Snowfall having the heating thing which is basically just water renamed. I understand optimisation is pretty difficult but it's frustrating how quickly adding any mods, even just gameplay ones, makes it consume loads more resources and massively inflating loading times. It's frustrating how the main difficulty comes from the road system and managing traffic (which I actually really like) but they don't seem interested in adding more options to what you can do with roads past mods or improve things like the way merging works which makes a lot of real life stuff break. And even just simple things like I stopped playing because I really wanted a way to make highways parallel because otherwise they look ugly, which is possible to do but requires very tedious use of other roads as guide lines then deleting. It's disappointing because I actually really like what they've chosen to simulate but they've not fixed any of its flaws since release and aren't interested in making an expansion which actually interacts with the base simulation well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The problem is that the devs seem totally content to outsource quality of life and content creation stuff to the Workshop. The modding scene is mostly great but it's annoying to have to rely on mods for stuff that really ought to be in the base game, since you can end up with a lot of accumulated jank when you're loading so many mods and assets.

I think they said somewhere that they want the next DLC to be transportation focused, so here's hoping we will get something more interesting the next time around.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Btw, for anyone who doesn't have Snowfall yet and wants to get into some tram action, Humble Store has it <$5, cheaper than it's been on Steam.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oooh poo poo, Network Extensions is broken now. Poop. I loved my turn lanes.

edit: Oh, nice, they're fixing it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 30, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

John Murdoch posted:

Btw, for anyone who doesn't have Snowfall yet and wants to get into some tram action, Humble Store has it <$5, cheaper than it's been on Steam.

Score! $3.96 because I'm a Monthly sucker.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oooh poo poo, Network Extensions is broken now. Poop. I loved my turn lanes.

edit: Oh, nice, they're fixing it.

DLC/major patches almost always break mods. All of the major ones will probably be updated within a week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

:nallears: I can already just have spotify open in the other monitor.

Worth it if there's a decently varied DJ who reflects current city state in announcements.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MikeJF posted:

Worth it if there's a decently varied DJ who reflects current city state in announcements.

"This is THREE-DOG, BOW-WOW! Bringing you all the Poop Reservoir news from across Weedtown!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

"This is THREE-DOG, BOW-WOW! Bringing you all the Poop Reservoir news from across Weedtown!"

100%

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
Please, poop reservoirs are so passé. Everyone's doing canals now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They actually just added a freshwater outlet in this patch for water filling, too.

We have helicopters for ambulance, police and fire now, all they need is pneumatic tube garbage and corpse removal!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 30, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MikeJF posted:

They actually just added a freshwater outlet in this patch for water filling, too.

We have helicopters for ambulance, police and fire now, all they need is pneumatic tube garbage and corpse removal!

Those are patch things or DLC things?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Those are patch things or DLC things?

Not sure about the water element, but the helicopters are DLC - supposedly disaster response tools.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How soon until I can get police blimps from Batman as a replacement for helicopters?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
OK, new problem since the patch, all of the traffic is wigging the gently caress out. Like, zoom in to like medium, and the traffic is ok for about 10 seconds, then half of the cars start hyper-speeding away. Not a problem at far so, less of a problem in a tight zoom.

Also, I accidentally bought a second copy of After Dark. I asked a mod if it's ok, so it's CONTEST TIME. I want to see your favorite corner of your favorite city, and a little write up about why you like it so much. Here's how it'll work!

Post 3 images. A close-up, a medium shot, and a district-wide shot. Write up a few sentences on why you like this little corner so much. List what mods or resources are shown in the shot.

Winners will be chosen Monday around noon. You can enter as "I Don't Have After Dark and I Want It", or "I Have After Dark and I'm Just Here For Funsies". Please note that in your post. The code can't be traded on Steam, it's a Humble Bundle one.

Funsies winner will be gifted with a recipe for Old Bay Cheese Biscuits better then Red Lobster's that are fun and easy to make at home with nothing more complicated then a mixing bowl, big spoon, and a toaster oven.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 30, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Funky Valentine posted:

A post-apocalypse setting would be hilarious for a citybuilder game. Just think, you could zoom in and watch two rival factions fight for the last functioning poopdam.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

How soon until I can get policeCorporate blimps from BatmanSyndicate as a replacement for helicopters?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've had this game for ages but never given it a real shot before. I'm thinknig about getting the after dark DLC and then rolling in. I assume mods are broken with the patch? Do buildings that are added work?

On that note, how do new buildings work? Do they randomly spawn amongst other buildings in your city or do you need to somehow set a district theme for them or something? I'd like to make an asian/Japanese styled city and I'm not sure where to begin with the mods. :v:

EDIT: who or what is RICO

EDIT 2: There's like a billion different car models under the "Japanese" tag on the workshop. Is it a good idea to just throw in a bunch or would it be super tedious to get them to spawn?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 1, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

A post-apocalypse setting would be hilarious for a citybuilder game. Just think, you could zoom in and watch two rival factions fight for the last functioning poopdam.

I want a dystopian city builder an awful lot. Especially if you could choose between clanky cyberpunk shithole or stark gleaming white "nothing to see here, citizen" style city ala Mirror's Edge or X-Com 2. Basically Tropico in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Deltasquid posted:

I've had this game for ages but never given it a real shot before. I'm thinknig about getting the after dark DLC and then rolling in. I assume mods are broken with the patch? Do buildings that are added work?

On that note, how do new buildings work? Do they randomly spawn amongst other buildings in your city or do you need to somehow set a district theme for them or something? I'd like to make an asian/Japanese styled city and I'm not sure where to begin with the mods. :v:

EDIT: who or what is RICO

EDIT 2: There's like a billion different car models under the "Japanese" tag on the workshop. Is it a good idea to just throw in a bunch or would it be super tedious to get them to spawn?

Nah they spawn automatically after you subscribe to them. Very convenient.