Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Holy poo poo Grey, has this been the best week (?) ever in any witp LP? Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

This needs to go into the op. The myths and wrong facts this battle is going to cause will need a book of that magnitude to deal with.

Wait, was that Tanaka in charge of the Battleships? Well no wounder the chance played out I suspect. THIS is what the IJN should have been doing all along. The day of the end of the Battleship Is Not Here!

I take it back. Great Naval Battles of Milne Bay will make a good computer game worth playing in the Greyverse.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, that was a great day. Two AA cruisers and a fast battleship, along with at the very least crippling Enterprise and putting at least a few hits on Lexington - and that's if they're not both caught in the next day or two, in exchange for the possible loss of an early 1920s-era destroyer and potentially Mutsu(at the very least she'll be out of action for several months for repairs) is an insanely good trade. Hell, even if Mutsu does go down it'd be a far better end than she got in real life, where she sunk due to a main battery magazine explosion while sitting at anchor.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Lets consult the table!

Looking at the chart (though its late here and I might be missing numbers) we can expect 12 new American carriers by the end of next year. Currently we've sunken most of the pre-Midway carrier force.

Now we just have to content with the 32 Essex's slated for construction! :suicide:

Only 5 of those are fleet carriers though, with the rest being CVLs. Still dangerous, but loadouts for CVLs tend to be distributed differently compared to proper fleet carriers and even if total plane numbers are generally equal they're less dangerous. They're also easier to sink, which means exchanges with fleet carriers tend to go against them as well. Those 5 fleet carriers are also spread out through the entire year, so Grey has at least a year to run wild before they achieve parity again - assuming the AI doesn't just feed them one by one into the South Pacific, in which case it'll take far longer for enough to be produced at once to make up for the AI doing silly things.

The final thing of note is that the Allies also just lost a huge number of trained aircrews over the past few day, which in many ways is even more devastating than the loss of the carriers themselves. This is the real reversal of history, as the loss of all the elite aircrews at Midway, and many of the remaining ones at Guadalcanal in August, were what kept the remaining IJN carriers out of the war in 1943, rather than anything else. Obviously the US doesn't have Japan's insane training policies that resulted in there being virtually no pool of replacements for naval aviators, but they've still just lost a huge chunk of experience that can no longer be passed on to help train the next wave, and a huge chunk of the IJN's elite actually survived this time, whether on a destroyed CV or not, which these now less experienced crews will still face.

How does the game model the later Essexes coming off the line? The US only commissioned 17 before the war ended, though admittedly they'd slowed construction in late '44. Does the game model the traditional dates, or does it assume the accelerated rate they'd have initially been launched at?

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 29, 2016

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also my general knowledge of the CVE's is that they were a lot slower as well, so if they're in a fleet they will massively in turn limit the speed that said fleet can make while cruising or in a combat zone. And are the Royal Navy's Carriers still considered to be available in the game or not historically at this point? I think some of the earlier ones were prone to being transferred out (at least per Grey's other games).

So I guess of those maybe only the Hermes is actually useful in a fleet action given she can keep up with the main fleet and she doesn't have that many planes. And a battle group that can only make 18-22 knots at flank speed is not going to be really mobile, which will make it really easy to bring overhwelming assets to bear on it (at least by my general understanding of the top speed of the CVE's).

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Admiral King, many a time and oft
In Washington you have rated me
About my Empire and my snobbery:
Still have I borne it with a patient shrug,
For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
You call me limey, old-fashioned,
And spit upon my English uniform,
And all for use of that which is mine own.

Well then, it now appears you need my help:
Go to, then; you come to me, and you say
'Somerville, we would have carriers:' you say so;
You, that did void your rheum upon my beard
And foot me as you spurn a stranger cur
Over your threshold: carriers is your suit.

What should I say to you? Should I not say
'Hath a limey carriers? is it possible
A chinless wonder can lend three fleet carriers?' Or
Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me weak; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus my carriers?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
BANZAI!

Bravo :golfclap:

And well done Grey! What a turn for the books!

Grumio fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 29, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So pretty much BB hawks in the US Navy are going to order the scrapping of all the aircraft carriers under construction so they can build a thousand Battleships, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

algebra testes posted:

So pretty much BB hawks in the US Navy are going to order the scrapping of all the aircraft carriers under construction so they can build a thousand Battleships, right?

God it would be amazing if WitP could model this. Honestly a battle that decisive in favor of BB's over CV's would probably be enough to give most of the allies at least SOME doubts about going down the carrier supremacy path.

IRL the Japanese reported the Enterprise as sunk on three separate occasions during the war. WitP's reporting system is intentionally inaccurate to model this. The Grey Ghost may yet stalk the sealanes.

Has anyone compiled a complete (to-date) list of losses at the Battle of Milne Bay, Wikipedia-style? That'd make for a neat Greyverse wiki entry. Though the battle itself may well continue for another couple of days if this keeps up.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
:japan: What a lovely day at sea!

This has been a wild ride so far Grey, and I'll be watching this to the end!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Mutsu should be fine: battleships are really hard to sink with bombs because of their deck armor (UK Carriers are similarly tough because of their armored flight decks). You really need torpedoes to do them in or a truly crazy number of bombs. In one AAR I think Nagano took 100 1000 kg bombs to burn down, not sink.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Alright! And I hope you get Lexington, too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:thumbsup:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The last couple of days really make up for the long lull of nothing important happening at sea. :japan:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Jobbo_Fett posted:

CA Astoria or CL Astoria? (I'm assuming CA Astoria)

CA Please.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Done

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Grey would like to have posted:

Muh, muh Mutsu!

drat you guy who snatched the Nagato out from under me!

Great work Grey.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"55 new posts, did Grey sink the Enterprise or-"

:catstare:

BANZAI! :japan:

Now we get to find out the decisive battle does nothing to bring the allies to the table and Grey still gets murdered, just slightly later! :911:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Night10194 posted:

Now we get to find out the decisive battle does nothing to bring the allies to the table and Grey still gets murdered, just slightly later! :911:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Amazing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Congrats Grey!

Drone posted:

IRL the Japanese reported the Enterprise as sunk on three separate occasions during the war. WitP's reporting system is intentionally inaccurate to model this. The Grey Ghost may yet stalk the sealanes.

Didn't someone say that the points for sunk ships are awarded immediately when the ship is sunk instead of after confirmation? So the carriers should still be afloat at least.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wow, 60 new posts, did the war graves discussion get THAT intense or did Grey sink the E... no, it's never that.

*45 seconds later*

:captainpop:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

You think they'll build another one?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

:eyepop:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our cruisers catch the Lexington – while they don't confirm the kill, this should be enough to finish her.

We hit a troops ship – are they reinforcing here?

Not much action in the air – but that is a good thing today! It means we may well have sunk the last allied carrier!

Not that anyone in intel can tell me.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The IJN train keeps rollin'.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Awesome. No Enterprise sighted means it probably sank overnight, right?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It may have split off with Thracian to try and make a run for a safe port.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
In this timeline, Yamamoto dies of exhaustion after a marathon celebratory sex session with his favorite geisha.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nov 28 = 29256

Nov 29 = 29981

Nov 30 = 29991

Pretty sure the Enterprise is dead, but the Lexington survived for today.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

The 91 planes destroyed on field means it sank yesterday (plus whatever was on the NC in terms of scout planes). Planes destroyed on a carrier, or scout planes on a CA/BB/etc, are counted that way, and that number seems to always be accurate and not FoW. It's also why it's highly unlikely the Lexington sank today, since there was no planes destroyed on field.

Given the damage though I wouldn't be shocked if it sinks in the next couple of days. Sometimes heavy fires / heavy damage isn't quite enough to put ships down though, especially Allied. It's got something like 10-15 hexes minimum before it can make a good friendly port (Brisbane?), so chances are good it succumbs to it's wounds, especially if the torpedo hit caused a fuel explosion or magazine explosion.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can you load up the game as the Allies and confirm which carriers if any were sunk? Call it getting hands on American newspapers from spies or something, since this seems like the kind of thing SIGINT SHOULD be tracking instead of, you know, Tokyo Bay Fortress.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pervis posted:

The 91 planes destroyed on field means it sank yesterday (plus whatever was on the NC in terms of scout planes). Planes destroyed on a carrier, or scout planes on a CA/BB/etc, are counted that way, and that number seems to always be accurate and not FoW. It's also why it's highly unlikely the Lexington sank today, since there was no planes destroyed on field.

Given the damage though I wouldn't be shocked if it sinks in the next couple of days. Sometimes heavy fires / heavy damage isn't quite enough to put ships down though, especially Allied. It's got something like 10-15 hexes minimum before it can make a good friendly port (Brisbane?), so chances are good it succumbs to it's wounds, especially if the torpedo hit caused a fuel explosion or magazine explosion.

Destroyed on field is sunk

Destroyed as operational losses is because they couldn't transfer

right?

Davin Valkri posted:

Can you load up the game as the Allies and confirm which carriers if any were sunk? Call it getting hands on American newspapers from spies or something, since this seems like the kind of thing SIGINT SHOULD be tracking instead of, you know, Tokyo Bay Fortress.

If he's going to do that he should send the save to someone to check it out, but why ruin the surprise?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
So Grey finally lets the battleships out to stretch their legs and they do this. :stare:

Where are Yamato and Musashi? Let the big dogs eat.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Even if Lexington didn't sink, the cruisers can chase her down tomorrow.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

wukkar posted:

So Grey finally lets the battleships out to stretch their legs and they do this. :stare:

Where are Yamato and Musashi? Let the big dogs eat.

Didn't we lose one of them already or was that in another one of the WITP LP's going on?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's nice to know the Hotel still managed to miss the decisive BB engagement.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lack of carrier support means Grey now has essentially free reign anywhere not covered by land based air right? What does that open up? Australia? A crack at Fiji?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If one were to create a Wikipedia page for this month, really we'd almost have to call it the Coral Sea campaign considering the engagements have almost been contiguous with one another this past month. The Allied carriers have been from New Caledonia to the Solomon Islands to now off the tip of New Guinea and we've had fleet actions from small skirmishes to our recent battles off Milne Bay.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

For a moment the extend of Grey campaigns will just be limited by ground based planes and supplies. And then Shokaku eats a torpedo salvo from a sub...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Everyone's said it already, but holy poo poo that gamble paid off beautifully.

:black101: BANZAI! :black101: