Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
:toot:

I'm loving these day-by-day photos. Keep 'em coming. :)

(EDIT: last page has a photo of the freshly-poured foundation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Your driveway is looking good.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Crotch Fruit posted:

Your driveway is looking good.

I am very happy to say it's nowhere near that steep. About 1/4 of the driveway is now graded to close to it's final, and it's very manageable.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Did they find anything interesting while digging, like dead bodies or treasure or dinosaur bones?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

kid sinister posted:

Did they find anything interesting while digging, like dead bodies or treasure or dinosaur bones?

A bunch of steel-reinforced concrete pieces that got dumped there (makes decent fill I guess). A couple hundred feet of some sort of plastic tubing. A bit of glass. But pretty boring overall.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Foundation.

The walls are gigantic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kawaii. I hope your basement is well sealed!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Did you happen to check into the difference between poured and post-insulated versus insulated form? I've always wondered how much more expensive it is here in Massachusetts; we've toyed with building and I was curious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Kawaii. I hope your basement is well sealed!

As I understand it (and with the disclaimer that I live in California, land of no basements because they'd collapse in an earthquake), sealing is the less-important factor; drainage is more important. Not that sealing isn't valuable, but water's gonna get in somehow anyway, and you need a way to deal with it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Tim Thomas posted:

Did you happen to check into the difference between poured and post-insulated versus insulated form? I've always wondered how much more expensive it is here in Massachusetts; we've toyed with building and I was curious.

We didn't. With some of the price-increases we've had, we're trying to keep other pieces on-budget, so we didn't consider it. We've been giving a lot of thought to the amount of space 3 people will have in this house, and there's a decent chance we'll never finish the basement.

We'll have a french drain around the perimeter and a foundation drain that both drain to daylight. (amusing fact... it drains towards the rude neighbor that showed up at the planning meetings)

We had a good rain storm over the weekend. Even with water being channeled to the hole from every direction, there wasn't any puddles. I'm hoping that's a good sign that the ground naturally drains well.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

We didn't. With some of the price-increases we've had, we're trying to keep other pieces on-budget, so we didn't consider it. We've been giving a lot of thought to the amount of space 3 people will have in this house, and there's a decent chance we'll never finish the basement.

We'll have a french drain around the perimeter and a foundation drain that both drain to daylight. (amusing fact... it drains towards the rude neighbor that showed up at the planning meetings)

We had a good rain storm over the weekend. Even with water being channeled to the hole from every direction, there wasn't any puddles. I'm hoping that's a good sign that the ground naturally drains well.

Are you having a sump pump installed as well just in case? Friends of ours have a nice home with french drains all around and when we had our severe rain that flooded our basement (no french drain that I can think of), they got 4" of water in their basement, it was all ground water and came up through the drains since it was raining so hard (6" of rain in 4 hours).

Might be a bit of an edge case, and I guess if you plan for not finishing your basement it might not be that big of a deal, but could be some peace of mind to have. Not sure how "standard" sump pump installs are on new construction these days.

Come to think of it, having the foundation excavated out is almost the best possible scenario because there is no soil against your foundation. So I wouldn't let this be too much of an example of how things may go in the future.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I don't know if a sump would add much. The 'drain to daylight' is a pipe that goes a couple hundred feet to where the grade is lower than the bottom of the foundation. Any water there will be gravity-fed right out (I guess unless the pipe is clogged).

Presumably, if ground water ever came up that high, it would be breaching the surface of the ground where the pipe outlet was. That would be epic level flooding. Houses down the hill a bit more would be completely covered.

Disclaimer: it's possible I don't understand any of this well enough. Maybe ground water doesn't uniformly rise or something.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Your understanding is correct, a sump pump would only help if the 'drain to daylight' becomes clogged.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I looked it up, and "drain to daylight" is basically just where your french drain runs to. My friend has that since their lot is on a hill and they still got water. As far as I know their drain to daylight was not clogged. Anyway, just something to think about.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If you have a way to drain via gravity from the drain tile in/outside the foundation, I think you're good. Those of us that the ground doesn't drain out water fast enough, or have a way to drain via gravity need sump pumps. Our last house was on sand, no sump pump at all (and that was a ~5 year old house) and we never had an issue with water.

Edit: If you have drain tile around the perimeter (in/out) you still can have a sump put in, or at least the pit. From my understanding generally they run a loop inside the house wall and a loop on the outside of the wall, and connect them between the footings. The pipes/foundation are in all in gravel, so it makes the water easily run into them. The sump pumps just hook into the inside run. If you're paranoid you could have them just add the plastic pit if you have drain tile, probably would be minimal cost (but an annoyance in the basement, depending on how you're finishing it).

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 23, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Concrete happily curing.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
$650 per bedroom sewer hookup fee. Wheeee.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just explain to them that you weren't planning on hooking the bedrooms up to the sewer system anyway.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just show them your SA account and they'll waive the fee.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Rebar ends broken off & everything sealed. Perimeter drain.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gounads posted:

No that's a dressing room, that's a walk-in wardrobe, that's a ferret enclosure, that's an office.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

No that's a dressing room, that's a walk-in wardrobe, that's a ferret enclosure, that's an office.

Just erase the closets from the blueprints. Then it's not a bedroom!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Just erase the closets from the blueprints. Then it's not a bedroom!

Seriously considering it. I really do have an office with closet planned.

Also got a $2100 bill from the surveyor today.

I knew these were extra expenses from the start not included in the build price. Not complaining, just giving you all a sense of what it's like to build.

On another note, wife and I sat down last night and reconfigured the first floor plan. Decided we really didn't want that formal dining room after all. I'll share our pencil sketch when I get it scanned in.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gounads posted:

Seriously considering it. I really do have an office with closet planned.

Also got a $2100 bill from the surveyor today.

I knew these were extra expenses from the start not included in the build price. Not complaining, just giving you all a sense of what it's like to build.

On another note, wife and I sat down last night and reconfigured the first floor plan. Decided we really didn't want that formal dining room after all. I'll share our pencil sketch when I get it scanned in.

Nice! Great choice, formal dining rooms died in the 80's... Most modern homes don't have one.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gounads posted:

Rebar ends broken off & everything sealed. Perimeter drain.
Why is the foundation wall missing a section here?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why is the foundation wall missing a section here?

Oh poo poo. They forgot it.

It's for a door / bulkhead

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thought so, just thought it looked too narrow for a door from the picture, thanks for clarifying.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Gounads posted:

Concrete happily curing.

I don't remember if you posted something about this before, but roughly what length and width are we looking at here? The lens distortion makes it really hard for me to judge dimensions.

I'm glad things started moving otherwise, you must be really thrilled! :3:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Hollow Talk posted:

I don't remember if you posted something about this before, but roughly what length and width are we looking at here? The lens distortion makes it really hard for me to judge dimensions.

I'm glad things started moving otherwise, you must be really thrilled! :3:

About 33'x44' - add on another 20' for the garage for a total of around 33x64

I've been doing panoramas because a single shot captures so little with my phone. I think seeing the bigger picture is worth the distortion

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thought so, just thought it looked too narrow for a door from the picture, thanks for clarifying.

It looks narrow because those walls are 9' high.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Gounads posted:

as a non-american, I dont understand why the number of bedrooms would influence the cost of sewer hookups, care to explain to an outsider?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Klogdor posted:

as a non-american, I dont understand why the number of bedrooms would influence the cost of sewer hookups, care to explain to an outsider?

More bedrooms means more butts a-poopin', which means they need a bigger sewer hookup.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Klogdor posted:

What Safety Dance said. It's a form of an impact fee. You have a larger impact on the system you pay more. Huge McMansion with 8 bedrooms and baths would need more infrastructure support vs. a 2 bedroom cottage. He's at least lucky to have access. If you're too far from utilities it's not uncommon for a company to tell you you're out of luck... because they won't make back the investment to run the utility to your property.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

More bedrooms means more butts a-poopin', which means they need a bigger sewer hookup.

I always figured the size of the pipe would be pretty much the same for any normal residence, or is this one of those one toilet per bedroom thingies ? I'm used to one or two toilets per house, so no matter how many people live in one, there's kind of a limit to how much would be flushed at the same time.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It's a dumb cash grab especially since your water bill probably has a sewer remainder fee which is charged on top of water cost since most water used in a house goes down the drains eventually. For my usage amount, the remainder is double the water cost per 1000 gallons.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wait why would a 4bed 2 bath house be charged more than a 3bed 2bath house?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Because they can. In theory the more butts a poopin means more of everything going down the sewer from all the water consumed in the house, more capacity needed at processing plants, etc. Just because you all choose to poop in a single bathroom doesn't mean there is any less volume.

Also, they can.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FCKGW posted:

Wait why would a 4bed 2 bath house be charged more than a 3bed 2bath house?

As above, more people can live in a house so more utility needs to be provided for.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Gounads posted:

About 33'x44' - add on another 20' for the garage for a total of around 33x64

I've been doing panoramas because a single shot captures so little with my phone. I think seeing the bigger picture is worth the distortion

It looks narrow because those walls are 9' high.

Thank you, that helps me visualise things immensely! I like the panorama shots otherwise.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Lest you think it's all about utility greed the same generally applies to septic systems, they need to be designed based off the amount of planned bedrooms in a house not the amount of bathrooms. You can have all the bathrooms you want no one cares, one person can only poop so much(and shower, and dirty dishes etc) no matter how many toilets they decide to place in their house..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Elem7 posted:

Lest you think it's all about utility greed the same generally applies to septic systems, they need to be designed based off the amount of planned bedrooms in a house not the amount of bathrooms. You can have all the bathrooms you want no one cares, one person can only poop so much(and shower, and dirty dishes etc) no matter how many toilets they decide to place in their house..

My current house has a septic rated for 3 bedrooms even though it has 4. When selling, I have to list it as 3.

• Locked thread