Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

shutting off vision from a ward isnt the same thing as just running through it. theres a chance somebody didnt initially notice you, and theres a huge difference between 2+ people showing up for a gank that they don't know about and that same number of people visibly walking through a ward

shutting off vision from wards is actually a huge benefit

I feel like I never don't notice my wards getting swept, I feel like it's more obvious than someone just walking through them. I think the sweeper is better than 2 extra wards if you can coordinate with your jungler and try to sweep in advance (though again the new pink can basically do the same thing whether or not you have it) to set up a defensive gank but proactively sweeping as you run to someone else's lane basically just lets you know whether or not you've been spotted and isn't that potent till you get the level 9 one.

Usually my support pattern goes something like, 1st back second tier support item + pink, second back ss + pink, third back joint item + oracles. There are times when this pattern gets disrupted and I pick up the basic sweeper earlier just to help out with dragon or w/e but that's usually when I'm losing to a notable degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wards being swept let you know there's a jungler nearby but you're stripped of the ability to see how they're approaching, which can be kinda scary if they have wall-hopping initiations like Zac, Vi, or Rek

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I had some hilarious botlanes last night. I think I need to start playing support because if your botlane loses hard it just feels like there's not much you can do.

I am not the Nasus in that one game btw.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
im the nasus

its me

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you wanna carry bot you should consider playing the actual carry role though

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
a bad support will stop you carrying the game but will still let you farm up under tower b/c you barely need them for that

a bad adc with a good support is going to make the support want to alt f4.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

underage at the vape shop posted:

a bad support will stop you carrying the game but will still let you farm up under tower b/c you barely need them for that

a bad adc with a good support is going to make the support want to alt f4.

I feel like if you can make one player in the lane not bad and are trying to make the lane not feed, support is a good option. Sure your carry might play terrible and feed but your support might do that as well, at least if the support is the good one they have tools to stop the bleeding. If your goal is just "get to mid game without the enemy ADC being super ahead" I feel like support is the way to go.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Being trapped in an extended laning phase with a bad ADC is support hell.

I've learned to intentionally give up bot tower and rotate mid when it's obvious I can't win or even salvage the lane. Usually pulls enough pressure that he can at least farm at T2 while I make plays that get useful people kills elsewhere.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

mistaya posted:

They legit picked these champions after all declaring. I couldn't dodge I had to watch the train wreck unfold.

Had fun anyway, Sona on a killing spree?!

PS: Check out the Yasuo. Not like one thing, EVERYTHING.

Not a SINGLE loving LAST WHISPER FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess I don't really see it that way, like if i land my q during the jungler gank it's basically 100% chance they'll die unless something goes terribly wrong regardless of whether I can do 100 more damage during a several second root and if I miss my q then we're prolly not getting them either way. I'm certainly not going to argue that TL isn't better early game but I dunno if it makes that big of a difference just due to her general laning pattern.

Honestly I'm more curious about whether dft it's even that much better late game, like even if technically it's more dps it's prolly gonna be a bit more spread out so whether it helps anything or just pads charts is more where I'm stuck. Maybe nothing matters at all hail satan.

take Tlord's for the 45% cdr so your Q is up that much faster. on Morgana in a solo lane I favor CDR heavily since more Qs = more roots and that means more kills if you hit a squishy

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I will say it forever and ever that a support main in high elo can straight up carry games by vigorously assuring your skilled but cocky Marksman main will come out of every teamfight alive. Make the strategic decisions for them, provide clear vision, and poo poo on the enemies trying to dive your fed allies and you will be "carrying" via support.

In sub-platinum rankings I would take the damage supports (Zyra Velkoz Brand) and just kill the enemy with their piss poor positioning, which is also a viable way to carry games but tapers off in usefulness when you start playing against support mains that play Janna Nami and Sona.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Luckily We never have to play support if we don't want to so who cares how to carry as one, I'm queueing jungle/mid baby.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hat mask thresh fighting fist mask malphite for dominance

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Bronzesupport.jpg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you look at the youtubers that make Dope Play Videos they almost always have a friend or partnef playing support so they can be assured they get rescued from risky plays

Leahbee was pretty much crucial to Videogamedunkey's league vids, he was a good player but having a support NSYNC with him made him godly

basically what im saying is, dont solo queue, duo with a support friend/find a buddy that doesnt squander supports and crush all the players without dedicated supports enabling their dives

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
items are essentially a crutch for bad players and promote a degenerate playstyle. i recommend just getting one (if youre a good player you actually dont need any items at all)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lovechop posted:

items are essentially a crutch for bad players and promote a degenerate playstyle. i recommend just getting one (if youre a good player you actually dont need any items at all)

the less league has in common with Memes Reborn the better

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

That's why everyone in hots is so good, they don't build even a single item ever.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

Bronzesupport.jpg

It was written by a goon lol

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Work Friend Keven posted:

Luckily We never have to play support if we don't want to so who cares how to carry as one, I'm queueing jungle/mid baby.

this is literally untrue because Riot will force you to autofill if you keep queuing up as something different

edit: I like the old Athene's on Thresh when old Mikael's existed and also healed your allies. The lack of old Aegis/Locket is also pretty cool. As a support the best thing is to build a bunch of expensive and selfish items because

edit2: lol @ the unchanging item between builds being a loving BORK

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 29, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

How Rude posted:

this is literally untrue because Riot will force you to autofill if you keep queuing up as something different

:thejoke:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
some of you are out here buying thousands of extra health points. it's wasteful and unnecessary. i only need one health point because i actually know what i'm doing with it

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Sexpansion posted:

I had some hilarious botlanes last night. I think I need to start playing support because if your botlane loses hard it just feels like there's not much you can do.
I had a TP/Ghost ADC who TPed out of every team fight last night.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

How Rude posted:

edit: I like the old Athene's on Thresh when old Mikael's existed and also healed your allies. The lack of old Aegis/Locket is also pretty cool. As a support the best thing is to build a bunch of expensive and selfish items because

edit2: lol @ the unchanging item between builds being a loving BORK

It's for top lane thresh

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

To the tune of Girls on film: top lane thresh

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Please dont defile the name of AD crit thresh aka One Punch Deman aka Indiana Jones aka The Man With No Carry

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

How Rude posted:

take Tlord's for the 45% cdr so your Q is up that much faster. on Morgana in a solo lane I favor CDR heavily since more Qs = more roots and that means more kills if you hit a squishy
This is probably the best reason, i really enjoy having liandry's + dft tic on a trapped dude for the flavor of it but cdr is such an amazing stat on morgana that's a bit suboptimal to come by from items so getting 10% + a higher cap just from your masteries would be nice. Out of curiosity do you go lucidity boots or sorc, or is it just dependent?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

henkman posted:

It's for top lane thresh

That was mine. I got to silver 1 in season three with that stuff so it wasn't that awful.

Now it's garbage I wouldn't advocate at all but it was fun while it lasted.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

ArbitraryC posted:

This is probably the best reason, i really enjoy having liandry's + dft tic on a trapped dude for the flavor of it but cdr is such an amazing stat on morgana that's a bit suboptimal to come by from items so getting 10% + a higher cap just from your masteries would be nice. Out of curiosity do you go lucidity boots or sorc, or is it just dependent?

I haven't played mid Morg that much lately, but when I did I preferred the magic pen over the extra 5% CDR. You want to burst someone with Morg, and it felt like every little bit helped.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I got to silver 1 in season three with that stuff so it wasn't that awful.

You can get to Silver 1 building [random items] on [random champ] in [random role] every game.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

I haven't played mid Morg that much lately, but when I did I preferred the magic pen over the extra 5% CDR. You want to burst someone with Morg, and it felt like every little bit helped.

morgana's power curve is landing a rank 5 q and throwing dirt on someone

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

stump collector posted:

morgana's power curve is landing a rank 5 q and throwing dirt on someone

Her ult has a 70% AP ratio and her W has a 110% AP ratio if you hit them with the whole thing. She shits out damage on one target if you play her right.

I mean, don't get me wrong, she's not a "high damage mid", she's not xerath or a fed Fizz or Ahri or something, but she can do a lot of damage to a single target in the right circumstances.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

She's got a big swishy dress on.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Work Friend Keven posted:

She's got a big swishy dress on.

In the victorious skin her dress moves in kind of a weird way that makes it look like she's got some sort of scarab body for legs.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ArbitraryC posted:

almost always Sorcerer shoes since the multi-hit nature of W makes flat pen more valuable. Usually I take 15% scaling CDR blues, and then Morello + Zhonya's hourglass to hit 45% cdr. If I feel like I want to bulk up, I go RoA and take Zhonya's, Abyssal, and Hextech Protobelt. Unconditionally I will get a Deathcap and Void Staff in either build but it depends on how much gold I have and what is needed immediately, more damage or more utility.

Sexpansion posted:

Her ult has a 70% AP ratio and her W has a 110% AP ratio if you hit them with the whole thing. She shits out damage on one target if you play her right.

I mean, don't get me wrong, she's not a "high damage mid", she's not xerath or a fed Fizz or Ahri or something, but she can do a lot of damage to a single target in the right circumstances.

while the flat penetration is nice the extra CDR helps her midgame immensely, especially with regards to clearing waves with W. The more uptime that thing has the faster the minions are going to die. And of course any way to shorten the cooldown on Q makes her that much more effective at getting picks

the hilarious thing I find in solo queue is that most idiots even in Diamond are still not buying Banshee's, Quicksilver sash, and Mikaels (though I have seen QSS in about 1/3 of my games) when they face a morgana. all of these items heavily counter her ability to murder you with a single Q landing but instead they will go full damage and type angrily in all chat that "morg is OP" when they get hit by Q W and have a total 35 MR.

The best way to shut down an out of control burst mage is to simply buy Banshee's and give them the finger because they are going to do poo poo damage to a banshee's veil'd ADC

How Rude fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 29, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Niche support trip report: Support Poppy is... pretty okay?? In the current League of Backline Divers environment that we've got, having someone who can hit a button and totally shut out a good 2/3rds of them is a nice thing to have. W's passive also benefits someone trying to tank on a support budget a lot. I don't think she'd work as well against heavy damage ranged supports like Zyra, but she's totally great for shutting out Leona/Maokai/Alistar.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Poppy is good but very matchup dependant, moreso than Braum or Alistar. She completely fucks over Alistar, Lee and Rengar to a hilarious degree.

Orv
May 4, 2011
New Vlad is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

blah_blah posted:

You can get to Silver 1 building [random items] on [random champ] in [random role] every game.

My silver (stupid MMR reset) team got pentad by a jungle cassio the other day. We still won but it was pretty demoralizing

• Locked thread