Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump definitely just read that article on FN a little while after it was posted, got heated, and barfed up that idiot tweet. At most he might have discussed it with whoever happened to be in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's disappointing to say the least that Obama is not saying a word about the impending destruction of his major legacy. He should be speaking out and reminding people of the good things they are about to lose.

If he really cared about that he would recess appoint Garland to the Supreme Court.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's disappointing to say the least that Obama is not saying a word about the impending destruction of his major legacy. He should be speaking out and reminding people of the good things they are about to lose.

President Obama is only his second form (after Candidate Obama) but come January he'll reach his final form, Former President Obama, and the real fun will begin!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Evil Fluffy posted:

All the more reason he deserves to watch his legacy burn.

He deserves to watch it burn because him and his team presided over the complete destruction of the democratic party at every level from 2010 to 2016. And they did nothing about it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

President Obama is only his second form (after Candidate Obama) but come January he'll reach his final form, Former President Obama, and the real fun will begin!

When was last time they made an episode of The X-Presidents?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

So, ever since the election, I've been largely avoiding politics for the most part. A hypothetical question on the whole recount thing, what do you believe would happen if it is found that the votes were tampered with in favor of trump? What if it's found that due to this tampering Hillary lost? I am genuinely curious if that scenario were to occur, what would happen to the country(civil war? armed uprisings?), what would happen with Russia(since it'd be them if anyone tampering), that sort of thing. Would the Russian government rigging the American election be considered a declaration of war? What would happen if it's found that Russia did tamper with the voting machines?

Just a hypothetical question, I'm curious and not saying this is actually the case.

the bigger problem was people who didn't vote, either because of lack of ID or because they couldn't be bothered. recounts dont find votes that were never cast

even if wisconsin or michigan turn out to be for hillary (very unlikely) all it does is drive trump up a wall, the margin in pennsylvania is insurmountable for a recount. the recount doesn't accomplish anything except annoying trump, which is good

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mcmagic posted:

If he really cared about that he would recess appoint Garland to the Supreme Court.

Garland would be kicked out of that position almost immediately and would lose his current job. I'd like to see it happen, but I don't think it'd go well.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you're reading that wrong. He's not regurgitating what he sees on TV, he's colluding with right wing media. Which is much more worrying and dangerous.

It's possible. Are there cases of Trump advancing a narrative or story without prior prompting? Looking back at his past statements, it seems like he's uncritically repeated favorable stories without any sort of grand strategy. I thought for a long time that he was distracting or obfuscating on issues, but as this transition process goes along, I find myself more and more skeptical of Trump's capabilities.

Anecdotally, it reminds me of the kind of people who read movie reviews after they watch a film so that they know how they should react. It also reminds me of the restaurant scene in American Psycho where Patrick Bateman and company spout off a series of nonsense news headlines to make themselves seem smarter.

I have no doubt that the Donald Trump transition team, which includes Bannon and Conway, understand media manipulation. After his voter fraud tweet, though, I'm not sure that Trump himself really thinks of these things. His team works in spite of Trump, not because of him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Garland would be kicked out of that position almost immediately and would lose his current job. I'd like to see it happen, but I don't think it'd go well.

No. He would probably be able to serve for a year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

so like is obama gonna beat goku in a fight? he's been spending the last 8 years powering up and screamin' real hard. like his hair changed color and everything.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

QuoProQuid posted:

It's possible. Are there cases of Trump advancing a narrative or story without prior prompting? Looking back at his past statements, it seems like he's uncritically repeated favorable stories without any sort of grand strategy. I thought for a long time that he was distracting or obfuscating on issues, but as this transition process goes along, I find myself more and more skeptical of Trump's capabilities.

Anecdotally, it reminds me of the kind of people who read movie reviews after they watch a film so that they know how they should react. It also reminds me of the restaurant scene in American Psycho where Patrick Bateman and company spout off a series of nonsense news headlines to make themselves seem smarter.

I have no doubt that the Donald Trump transition team, which includes Bannon and Conway, understand media manipulation. After his voter fraud tweet, though, I'm not sure that Trump himself really thinks of these things. His team works in spite of Trump, not because of him.

I mean yeah I don't think Trump has the patience or depth of understanding to do coordinated media collusion. But I absolutely think Conway and Bannon do. :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it's faulty to assume Trump is a single man force. Kellyanne Conway and Bannon understand media manipulation and collusion quite well and aren't going anywhere. He doesn't have to be a chess wizard. He hires people to do it for him.

Except those people got lucky and can be easily replaced. They aren't political masterminds. I've talked about Jared Kushner pushing Bannon to the sidelines, but Conway got on Trump's shitlist yesterday for insulting Romney. They aren't vital members of his team, being responsible for a bad failure in his eyes and they're finished.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Young Freud posted:

Except those people got lucky and can be easily replaced. They aren't political masterminds. I've talked about Jared Kushner pushing Bannon to the sidelines, but Conway got on Trump's shitlist yesterday for insulting Romney. They aren't vital members of his team, being responsible for a bad failure in his eyes and they're finished.

I mean honestly I'd be happy if he fired those two and tried to get by with just his family. I don't think his family is as competent politically as those two.

I also don't think it takes a mastermind to coordinate with Fox News. They're not exactly bastions of journalistic integrity.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean yeah I don't think Trump has the patience or depth of understanding to do coordinated media collusion. But I absolutely think Conway and Bannon do. :v:

In that case, I'm actually not sure what our disagreement was about. I don't think I was being clear.

I should have asked how independent Trump is of his team. If he is delegating all responsibility to Brannon and Conway, who are very good at playing with the media, then that's problematic. If he wants to act as the strongman in spite of his lack of patience or understanding, then that represents a much larger problem, especially if he surrounds himself with sycophants .

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you're reading that wrong. He's not regurgitating what he sees on TV, he's colluding with right wing media. Which is much more worrying and dangerous.

The guy consistently tweets whatever hot bullshit pops into his head, has demonstrated and explained doing this to multiple media sources, and often does so to the detriment of his campaign and his team.

He is not colluding with Fox. If he wanted to collude with Fox, he would just loving call up Fox and Friends like he does every other weekday anyway.

This was a constant refrain during the Bush era too. "You see, he appears to be a loving idiot, but that's all a ruse because he's really just creating a smokescreen for this strategy that Cheney blah blah blah fart."

Bush wasn't smart. Trump isn't smart. They are exactly as loving dumb as they look. Stop inventing patterns and conspiracies where there are none.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Captain Invictus posted:

So, ever since the election, I've been largely avoiding politics for the most part. A hypothetical question on the whole recount thing, what do you believe would happen if it is found that the votes were tampered with in favor of trump? What if it's found that due to this tampering Hillary lost? I am genuinely curious if that scenario were to occur, what would happen to the country(civil war? armed uprisings?), what would happen with Russia(since it'd be them if anyone tampering), that sort of thing. Would the Russian government rigging the American election be considered a declaration of war? What would happen if it's found that Russia did tamper with the voting machines?

Just a hypothetical question, I'm curious and not saying this is actually the case.

Same thing that happened in Ohio in 2004. Same thing that happened in Florida in 2000. A big fat nothingburger.

Sure, there would be some complaints from the Cassandra left but who cares?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Spacebump posted:

I imagine he is doing it this way because he treats the position with respect, unlike Trump. It'd be bad for the country if a popular active President ended his last term telling America how hosed they were during his last few months in office.

Heavens forbid the Democrats ever not roll over for Republicans or even try to get their hands dirty. Much more important to be the adult in the room and treat government with respect and do what's right for the country by losing to a bunch of jackoffs who couldn't run a Little League team. It's good to stand by your principles of evenhandedness and compromise, even when they're shown to be an abject failure and a complete disgrace.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

QuoProQuid posted:

In that case, I'm actually not sure what our disagreement was about. I don't think I was being clear.

I should have asked how independent Trump is of his team. If he is delegating all responsibility to Brannon and Conway, who are very good at playing with the media, then that's problematic. If he wants to act as the strongman in spite of his lack of patience or understanding, then that represents a much larger problem, especially if he surrounds himself with sycophants .

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The guy consistently tweets whatever hot bullshit pops into his head, has demonstrated and explained doing this to multiple media sources, and often does so to the detriment of his campaign and his team.

He is not colluding with Fox. If he wanted to collude with Fox, he would just loving call up Fox and Friends like he does every other weekday anyway.

This was a constant refrain during the Bush era too. "You see, he appears to be a loving idiot, but that's all a ruse because he's really just creating a smokescreen for this strategy that Cheney blah blah blah fart."

Bush wasn't smart. Trump isn't smart. They are exactly as loving dumb as they look. Stop inventing patterns and conspiracies where there are none.

He doesn't have to be smart for Conway to be like "hey flag burners are punks right, it would be great if you tweeted that today and showed how strong of a leader you are."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

You seem to forget the court took away that power from the president https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLRB_v._Noel_Canning

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lightning Knight posted:

He doesn't have to be smart for Conway to be like "hey flag burners are punks right, it would be great if you tweeted that today and showed how strong of a leader you are."

Conway might be out of a job after the Romney thing. It's doubtful she's in the room much right now.

Also, if you think Conway has ever had any control over his twitter you're not paying attention. Absolutely nobody hates that twitter account more than Conway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

idiotsavant posted:

Heavens forbid the Democrats ever not roll over for Republicans or even try to get their hands dirty. Much more important to be the adult in the room and treat government with respect and do what's right for the country by losing to a bunch of jackoffs who couldn't run a Little League team. It's good to stand by your principles of evenhandedness and compromise, even when they're shown to be an abject failure and a complete disgrace.

What would Obama poo poo talking Trump regularly accomplish right now? He tried that during the election. Guess who won? Obama has more important things to spend his time doing. Maybe when he no longer has the most important job in the world he can focus on poo poo talking. It's not like him saying negative things about Trump can reverse the election.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 29, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Regardless of whether Trump tweeting whatever garbage comes into his head is an intentional smokescreen or not, it doesn't change the fact that people should still focus on things like his non-political ties to other leaders, the fact that he just settled a lawsuit over his fake University, the fact that he looks to be abandoning a number of his campaign promises etc.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

irlZaphod posted:

Regardless of whether Trump tweeting whatever garbage comes into his head is an intentional smokescreen or not, it doesn't change the fact that people should still focus on things like his non-political ties to other leaders, the fact that he just settled a lawsuit over his fake University, the fact that he looks to be abandoning a number of his campaign promises etc.

Focus to what end? What can be done about any of that?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Spacebump posted:

What would Obama poo poo talking Trump regularly accomplish right now? He tried that during the election. Guess who won? Obama has more important things to spend his time doing. Maybe when he no longer has the most important job in the world he can focus on poo poo talking. It's not like him saying negative things about Trump can reverse the election.

Maybe Obama could just let Trump find the shitter by himself instead of lifting the lid for him.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It seems easier to believe to me that people near him or who have his ear can simply bring up topics to him and frame them in such a way that he tweets whatever dumb bullshit they need him to, which his followers then in turn believe for the rest of their lives as though jesus christ himself had come down on a cloud with it written on a golden plate. Using this technique he's currently laying the groundwork for massive voter disenfranchisement by saying millions voted illegally. We all realize it doesn't matter what the truth is anymore, because his sycophantic followers believe and trust what he says without any hope of ever convincing them otherwise. Trump himself could be on tape saying "I, Donald Trump, am a racist, and I hate the following races for the following reasons" and go on an hour long rant, and then the next day say "I'm not racist!" and his followers would then say "no, he's not racist" and they'd actually believe it. Now that this link has been created and seemingly set in stone, all they have to do is get Trump to say and believe a dumb thing and suddenly 100 million people say and believe it too. The left simply doesn't have anything approaching this, and I don't think we conceivably can or would want to.

In short, the people actually running the show just have to keep trump happy and convince one person(trump) of a dumb thing, while liberals have to convince 100 million different people of one thing. Trump is probably totally unaware of this dynamic. Because he is a big orange moron that can't think past the next 10 minutes of his life and makes decisions based on Alex Jones postings.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I want to say it was also Jindal that ran with the while constitutional amendment that makes it so Louisiana has to pass a weird BALANCED BUDGET.

So when Edwards came in Jindal had slashed taxes and since the state has to balance he had to cut funding.

Goddamn Booby hosed the state for decades.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Late but I just wanted to chime in about Trump's burning the flag tweet. This is the moment I begin to buy into the Trump super genius bullshit. If that comment leads 0.00001 percent of Trump detractors to burn a flag it will engender dislike for every Trump political opponent with a huge chunk of Americans.

The dipshit might actually be good at this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lightning Knight posted:

The most powerful item you can have whe in the room with Trump is the DVR remote control.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

This is why my simple (won't happen) proposal for our TV mass media outlets is the most feasible. The big four each get one week a month for bullshit coverage, rotating. I guess fox wouldn't participate, so whatever, make theirs a wildcard guest slot.

That way Donald's Twitter tantrums and all the fluff-piece ratings boosters are shared, and principled journalists who managed to get a solid establishment job won't want to kill themselves.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Trump is a raw nerve ending. What was in the news when he settled 25 million dollars for Trump U? "Hamilton is bad".

It's a compulsion thing. As much as people love to believe in 11th dimensional chess and "yes, you have fallen for my trap card good sir!" with both Obama and Clinton, it's going to be tic-tac-toe with Trump. You know, that game where you can always win or force a tie and is for children on a Ruby Tuesday's play mat?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Late but I just wanted to chime in about Trump's burning the flag tweet. This is the moment I begin to buy into the Trump super genius bullshit. If that comment leads 0.00001 percent of Trump detractors to burn a flag it will engender dislike for every Trump political opponent with a huge chunk of Americans.

See also: all his insane cabinet rumors that he purposefully starts, then when he picks only regular evil rather than extra-evil, it seems boring and ok.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

No, he just was watching a fox news show on flag burning.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Covok posted:

Yeah, his presidency will consist entirely of setting the day's policy based off of what segment on Fox and Friends ground his gears the most.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

They both can be true. Trump is going to be Nixon's insanity strategy with Reagan's dopey charisma.

"In my heart I told the truth bigly, but we're keeping the dog!"

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is what it takes to convince you that Trump is a super genius? Really? "Oh my, he's realized that burning a flag is contentious..~Genius!~"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

nm

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

They both can be true. Trump is going to be Nixon's insanity strategy with Reagan's dopey charisma.

Donald Trump doesn't have Reagan's charisma. If anything he has anti-charisma, where all of his followers like him because he's a crude rear end in a top hat to all the same targets they hate

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

hahaha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

Nixon was madman theory. Trump is madman practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

This is what it takes to convince you that Trump is a super genius? Really? "Oh my, he's realized that burning a flag is contentious..~Genius!~"

I mean the real proof is the way he uses crazier things to distract from horrible things. See the way he dodged his history of sexual assault, pro-segregation, fraud and anti-American dealings all by saying a few crazy lines. The media covered his comments about Clinton's secret service protection, when it was obvious he was making a political point not calling for her murder.

It's a common tactic in grifting. Escalate. Someone calls you out for suspicious behavior you immediately act furious and hurt. Demand their manager or threaten to end the deal over the insult. Anything to distract attention to your furor and not your suspicious behavior.

• Locked thread