Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

crocodile posted:

has your jurisdiction updated to the latest code? that would be the first thing i'd check. the city i live in was on the 2008 code until the 2014 came out and they retroactively accepted the 2011 for like 3 months before the '14...it can get convoluted and it entirely depends on your who your Authority Having Jurisdiction is. their bid may not necessarily be misleading...they could be basing it off the 2005 or whatever code *shrug*

Yeah, I will call the city tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JimbobDobalina posted:

This is the cheapest supplier I can find for AFCI
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.single-pole-15-amp-stab-lok-arc-fault-circuit-interrupter-breaker.1000112733.html

And for GFCI
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.single-pole-15-amp-stab-lok-plug-on-gfi-circuit-breaker.1000110440.html

Really loving expensive, considering I just put a pair of GFCI outlets in my bathroom for $33 each.

Your canadian prices hurt my head. I was able to get tamper/weather resistant GFCI outlets for $6 each on sale, and regularly see GFCI breakers in the $40-50 range.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've wired in several new circuits in past, but all have been indoors. My wife has requested that I wire the screened in porch with power. I plan to use a 15 amp breaker.

I intend to use waterproof outlets. Three for the entire circuit. What type of wire should I use under the porch?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

daslog posted:

I've wired in several new circuits in past, but all have been indoors. My wife has requested that I wire the screened in porch with power. I plan to use a 15 amp breaker.

I intend to use waterproof outlets. Three for the entire circuit. What type of wire should I use under the porch?

Outdoors you need GFCI protection too, not just weather resistant outlets. You will need conduit anywhere the cables are exposed. You said "porch". Does this imply the cables will be buried, or is this actually a deck? That will determine which kind of cable you should use.

For a covered porch, you'll need either the flip up covers or in use covers.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's a deck. So I'll need plastic conduit? That should not be a problem.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'll piggyback on that question.

I have LED strip lighting on my deck. I have an outdoor 24v supply ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IU8QBCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), that I was going to mount to the 6x6's underneath the deck (vertically), and use low-voltage wire to power the LED strips. I was planning to cut the end off an extension cord, put weatherproof heatshrink crimps on it, and use that to power the supply. The extension cord would be plugged or unplugged as lighting was wanted, into the existing outdoor outlet that's been on the side of my house since I moved in.

How many rules am I breaking?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

daslog posted:

It's a deck. So I'll need plastic conduit? That should not be a problem.

Yep, with all the seals and glue. Run THWN wires in the conduit. That would be easiest. Note: THHN cable is more commonly advertised, but nearly 100% of THHN is also certified THWN. In fact, it would be a real chore for you to find some that wasn't.

Where will the first outlet box be? You will probably want to run NM indoors up to the box on the outside of your house, then transition from there to THWN.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

insta posted:

I have LED strip lighting on my deck. I have an outdoor 24v supply ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IU8QBCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), that I was going to mount to the 6x6's underneath the deck (vertically), and use low-voltage wire to power the LED strips. I was planning to cut the end off an extension cord, put weatherproof heatshrink crimps on it, and use that to power the supply. The extension cord would be plugged or unplugged as lighting was wanted, into the existing outdoor outlet that's been on the side of my house since I moved in.

I'm not an expert, but I think you can do pretty much whatever you want to something that's going to be plugged into an outlet.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

insta posted:

Well that power supply for one.

quote:

ARTICLE 411
Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts
or Less and Lighting Equipment
Connected to Class 2 Power Sources

411.6 Secondary Circuits.
(C) Bare Conductors. Exposed bare conductors and
current-carrying parts shall be permitted for indoor installations
only.
Bare conductors shall not be installed less than
2.1 m (7 ft) above the finished floor, unless specifically
listed for a lower installation height.

Unless that power supply comes with some sort of shield to cover those bottom ports in addition to that rubber insert for the screw holes, you can't use it, at least not outdoors.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Well that power supply for one.

Unless that power supply comes with some sort of shield to cover those bottom ports in addition to that rubber insert for the screw holes, you can't use it, at least not outdoors.

It actually does come with the rubber over-cover to plug the holes, and the screw terminals are covered with a snap-action plate. You would have to go under the deck, and jam a screwdriver up into it to hit power. I could 3D print a secondary shield to cover that hole and route cables, if that helps?

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

SkunkDuster posted:

My basement workshop currently has one fluorescent fixture in the center of the ceiling. I'd like to replace it with four T8 LED fixtures like the drawing below. The ceiling is finished so I plan to mount everything externally. The plan is a 4" metal box where in the center where the existing wiring come out that will branch out to two more 4" metal boxes that will each feed two fixtures. 1/2" rigid conduit with 14/2 NM-B. Blank faceplate covers on the boxes.

1. Does that seem like a solid plan?
2. Inside each box is a ground screw. Each junction will have 3 ground wires, so do I just wrap all three wires around the screw and crank it down?
3. The conduit will be attached to the boxes with standard set screw connectors. Is there any way to also clamp the cable so if somebody in the future yanks on one of the cables in the side boxes it won't pull apart the connections in the center box?

Why would you use NM cable in conduit? Why not just use THHN? Also, you can use T condulets between the lights, instead of boxes, if you want.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

insta posted:

It actually does come with the rubber over-cover to plug the holes, and the screw terminals are covered with a snap-action plate. You would have to go under the deck, and jam a screwdriver up into it to hit power. I could 3D print a secondary shield to cover that hole and route cables, if that helps?

Your 3D printings aren't UL approved, so no, it wouldn't help. Do you have a picture of the plate? It wasn't on Amazon.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Special A posted:

Why would you use NM cable in conduit? Why not just use THHN? Also, you can use T condulets between the lights, instead of boxes, if you want.

I'm going with NM because I wasn't aware of THHN. Looking at the Home Depot options for THHN, it looks like I'd have to get three spools of wire (black, white, green). What would be the advantage of using THHN over NM? I can see the logic if you are doing long runs and fishing the wires through bends, but the the runs I'd be doing are going to be 2-3 feet straight shots.

I looked at those T condulets and decided to go with standard 4" boxes because (1) they are cheaper, (2) I don't care how it looks, (3) the condulets seem to require threaded conduit, and (4) I plan to leave 8-12" of extra wire and I think it would be easier with the roomier 4" boxes.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Your 3D printings aren't UL approved, so no, it wouldn't help. Do you have a picture of the plate? It wasn't on Amazon.

Over the top of the screw terminals it has a polycarbonate bump-guard, just like this supply does: https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Switching-Converter-Adapter-Transformer/dp/B01E6RMASC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1480392711&sr=8-8

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

insta posted:

Over the top of the screw terminals it has a polycarbonate bump-guard, just like this supply does: https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Switching-Converter-Adapter-Transformer/dp/B01E6RMASC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1480392711&sr=8-8

...so they're still exposed? Nope, not allowed. You really got to watch some of those electronic companies. Just because they sell something that they claim is allowed doesn't mean that it actually is. Outdoors you need something completely sealed. Get something with knockouts that you can put sealed clamps in.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
And that's still the case if I'm using a wall-plug to power it? Plugging and unplugging it like a table lamp when i want light?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

insta posted:

And that's still the case if I'm using a wall-plug to power it? Plugging and unplugging it like a table lamp when i want light?

It's not the plug side that is the issue. You need some kind of weather casing for it. The device itself has to be UL rated for outdoor wet applications. (Direct exposure to rain.) Don't take China's word for it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

insta posted:

You need something like this

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-Switching-Current-Voltage/dp/B00YF3FIFU/

and then use some waterproof connectors on the leads

https://www.amazon.com/King-Safety-62225-Waterproof-Connectors/dp/B000BW0YG2

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My deck is also about 10 feet away from my breaker. I can move all this mess inside, add a new GFCI 15A circuit with a plug, plug this supply into it, and use low-voltage wire through grommets to outside, right?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

insta posted:

My deck is also about 10 feet away from my breaker. I can move all this mess inside, add a new GFCI 15A circuit with a plug, plug this supply into it, and use low-voltage wire through grommets to outside, right?

Now that should work as long as you follow the height requirement. If you're putting it in an unfinished basement, just mount it up in the joists. I would just drill some holes and caulk them up once done. You also might want to install a regular breaker and use a GFCI outlet. That should be cheaper.

Also, there's no need to hack up an extension cord. They do sell replacement cords for power tools that have a molded plug on one end and wires poking out the other. Get a 3 pronged one of those and use it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is it kosher to ask more general lighting questions in here? I'm in an apartment, so I won't be doing any mains wiring, but I do have some questions about how to approach a project, and what types of fixtures and bulbs might be appropriate.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
If AFCI or GFCI is required on an outlet then does the first outlet in the circuit need to be the requirement in addition to the breaker being the same? I never understood if you could just use the GFCI/AFCI breaker if for some reason you couldn't use the outlet version.

Also, I've been trying to read and understand the NEC (because I'm that bored) but is there an idiots guide to residential wiring version so I don't have to skim past 1000+ volt and other weird data cabling runs sections?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

knowonecanknow posted:

If AFCI or GFCI is required on an outlet then does the first outlet in the circuit need to be the requirement in addition to the breaker being the same? I never understood if you could just use the GFCI/AFCI breaker if for some reason you couldn't use the outlet version.

Also, I've been trying to read and understand the NEC (because I'm that bored) but is there an idiots guide to residential wiring version so I don't have to skim past 1000+ volt and other weird data cabling runs sections?

https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simpl...ring+simplified

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm going with NM because I wasn't aware of THHN. Looking at the Home Depot options for THHN, it looks like I'd have to get three spools of wire (black, white, green). What would be the advantage of using THHN over NM? I can see the logic if you are doing long runs and fishing the wires through bends, but the the runs I'd be doing are going to be 2-3 feet straight shots.

I looked at those T condulets and decided to go with standard 4" boxes because (1) they are cheaper, (2) I don't care how it looks, (3) the condulets seem to require threaded conduit, and (4) I plan to leave 8-12" of extra wire and I think it would be easier with the roomier 4" boxes.

I was going to say that it should be cheaper, but looking at the prices on home depot, the THHN is more expensive than the NM. In general though, you don't run NM cable in conduit, except for the purposes of protection against physical damage. In this case, it looks like it would make sense to use the NM though, from an economic perspective. I even checked some electrical suppliers online, and their per foot prices were more favorable to NM, which seems crazy to me, since the NM requires more material.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Special A posted:

I was going to say that it should be cheaper, but looking at the prices on home depot, the THHN is more expensive than the NM. In general though, you don't run NM cable in conduit, except for the purposes of protection against physical damage. In this case, it looks like it would make sense to use the NM though, from an economic perspective. I even checked some electrical suppliers online, and their per foot prices were more favorable to NM, which seems crazy to me, since the NM requires more material.

AFAIK most NM is not certified to the same degree as THHN. Maybe UF is more comparable?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the yeti posted:

Is it kosher to ask more general lighting questions in here? I'm in an apartment, so I won't be doing any mains wiring, but I do have some questions about how to approach a project, and what types of fixtures and bulbs might be appropriate.

We aren't interior decorators, but we might be able to help.

knowonecanknow posted:

No, there is no requirement for the breaker to match in *FCI protection to the devices on it. Using the outlet versions is usually preferred because they're cheaper. However, the outlet versions can't be used in all situations.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

kid sinister posted:

No, there is no requirement for the breaker to match in *FCI protection to the devices on it. Using the outlet versions is usually preferred because they're cheaper. However, the outlet versions can't be used in all situations.

Thanks and thanks, both are very helpful for me.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

This book is great, I used an older version when I wired the unfinished basement in my house over 10 years ago. Passed both rough-in and final inspection without a problem, and I'd never touched a mains cable before this. If I remember right, I used this book as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-House-5th-Pros/dp/162710674X

I still remember the most useful tip all these years later, and that was using a standard claw hammer to place the j-boxes all at the same height. Just stand the hammer up in the wall cavity, stick the j-box on top, and perfect.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JBark posted:

I still remember the most useful tip all these years later, and that was using a standard claw hammer to place the j-boxes all at the same height. Just stand the hammer up in the wall cavity, stick the j-box on top, and perfect.

...then what do you hammer the box's nails into the stud with?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

kid sinister posted:

9 inch pliers.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

kid sinister posted:

Uhh, you hold the box with your hand, pick up the hammer, and nail it in? Or am I missing :thejoke: here?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A picture of my thermostat wires

A picture of what I assume are the wires that I connect to the HeatLink

If anyone could be kind enough to tell me what I wire to what for the Nest Thermostat, that'd be awesome. I've had this drat thing now for a week and a half and have been unable to set it up.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Loopoo posted:

If anyone could be kind enough to tell me what I wire to what for the Nest Thermostat, that'd be awesome. I've had this drat thing now for a week and a half and have been unable to set it up.

You guys do this differently than we do in the US, but if you can take a clear picture of the terminal strip at the boiler, I might be able to help. Any wiring diagrams (often on the back of the boiler cover) be good too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I'm a little confused as to why someone would wire up a terminal strip like that in that fashion. Isn't the whole point of those the fact that you put one wire in on one side and one wire in on the other?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm a little confused as to why someone would wire up a terminal strip like that in that fashion. Isn't the whole point of those the fact that you put one wire in on one side and one wire in on the other?

They're only used in the way you describe when closer to the equator. In Australia both wires connect to the bottom only.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

You guys do this differently than we do in the US, but if you can take a clear picture of the terminal strip at the boiler, I might be able to help. Any wiring diagrams (often on the back of the boiler cover) be good too.

I believe the terminal strip boiler is already what I posted. Beside my boiler, there's nothing. It's just clean white kitchen tiles. What I assume to be the terminal strip is a box in a little closet I have under the stairs, beside the kitchen.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Loopoo posted:

Assuming it is wired per the StatLink technical guide, green is C (looks correct from thermostat too), blue is R, red is W, and black is the clock signal. It would be good to see what's at the controller though.

Edit: the second picture is just for splicing wires. There should be a control box at the actual heating equipment where those wires are eventually terminated. I assume it is a red box, if it matches what's online.

Special A fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 1, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Special A posted:

Assuming it is wired per the StatLink technical guide, green is C (looks correct from thermostat too), blue is R, red is W, and black is the clock signal. It would be good to see what's at the controller though.

Edit: the second picture is just for splicing wires. There should be a control box at the actual heating equipment where those wires are eventually terminated. I assume it is a red box, if it matches what's online.

From what I could tell from google. Red = 230 volts, Blue = Neutral, Yellow = Heat, Green = Ground.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Special A posted:

There's no control box that I can see near my boiler. It's all tiled and flush with the wall, and just the boiler sticks out with no apparent little box that contains any wires. If I install the heatlink at the 2nd picture location, by taking wires from the box, will it still work or will I gently caress things up?

I really don't want to call an electrician out because they're charging $120 for it which is ridiculous. The thermostat currently installed is poo poo and the auto-time function doesn't work, so I either leave the heating on all night (wasting $$$) or I wake up 2 hours earlier just to turn the heating on then go back to sleep. It's frustratingly inconvenient.

Here's a Discord link if anyone feels like hopping in to help me: https://discord.gg/yxvUXBt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

glynnenstein posted:

From what I could tell from google. Red = 230 volts, Blue = Neutral, Yellow = Heat, Green = Ground.

If this is true, it will not work with the Nest thermostat.

Loopoo, post a picture of the boiler.