Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ChickenWing posted:

I swear to christ it's like every other criticism in this thread is something that's applicable to like 99% of other fantasy authors, or is directly contradicted by a previous criticism (how do any of these kingdoms/empires make sense please explain to me? but also don't because worldbuilding is haraam)

The issue isn't that 99% of fantasy/genre fiction also has these problems, it's that 99% of fantasy/genre fiction isn't praised as some sort of masterpiece. As has been said repeatedly, Rothfuss is really just aggressively mediocre, and he's aggressively mediocre while committing the same sins as plenty of other authors who don't get nearly the accolades that he does. It's not hard to point to other authors who have worked in fantasy and show how to do world building correctly. But those authors are rarely well known outside of the circles that are really into fantasy. Rothfuss isn't exactly a household name, but he's a common airport book and has been at the top of the best sellers list and he really doesn't deserve it at all. Does he do worse things that fail to properly breathe life into his story? Absolutely. But just because he's not noticeably worse at something than other authors, just equally as bad, doesn't mean he's immune to criticism for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Atlas Hugged posted:

The issue isn't that 99% of fantasy/genre fiction also has these problems, it's that 99% of fantasy/genre fiction isn't praised as some sort of masterpiece. As has been said repeatedly, Rothfuss is really just aggressively mediocre, and he's aggressively mediocre while committing the same sins as plenty of other authors who don't get nearly the accolades that he does. It's not hard to point to other authors who have worked in fantasy and show how to do world building correctly. But those authors are rarely well known outside of the circles that are really into fantasy. Rothfuss isn't exactly a household name, but he's a common airport book and has been at the top of the best sellers list and he really doesn't deserve it at all. Does he do worse things that fail to properly breathe life into his story? Absolutely. But just because he's not noticeably worse at something than other authors, just equally as bad, doesn't mean he's immune to criticism for it.

What authors do world building correctly?

I figure since we won't get new Rothfuss material for a while ever, I may as well use the thread to ask for authors actually worth reading.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

I figure since we won't get new Rothfuss material for a while ever, I may as well use the thread to ask for authors actually worth reading.

Hope MIrrlees in Lud-in-the-Mist.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Torrannor posted:

Robert Jordan really did do world building well. All of the cultures and nations of his world feel distinct and plausible. There are some things that are outlandish, but you can also point to real life cultures that do things that other cultures consider to be bizarre and nonsensical. Wheel of Time has other issues and I've discussed those in some of my other posts in this thread, but the world building is solid.

Gene Wolfe of course does a great job depicting a future earth orbiting a dying son. I can't praise The Book of the New Sun enough. I ordered Urth of the New Sun for Christmas and I can't wait for it to get to me. His "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" is a good mashup of science fiction and fantasy world building. The middle third of the book can be tough to get through because it's written from the perspective of a character from a pre-literate society who interprets life as more of an ongoing dream state than a physical place, but it's at the very least an interesting way to approach world building. And the beginning and end sections say a ton about the society and planets the book is set on without actually using a lot of words to do so just from the framing devices they use. It never has to say, "This society has a bureaucratic dictatorship where arbitrary decisions and red tape create misery for people," because the events of the story inform you of that indirectly.

For fantasy adjacent, I'd recommend Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. It's historical fiction with a few fantasy elements carefully slipped in, but as far as the structure of the books go it's basically a fantasy epic, except all the countries are real and half the cast are historical characters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

Yes, lots of complexity about who truly has power and authority is pretty common in history. Kvothe's "legend" is all about being a "King-killer" and stealing daughters from "barrow Kings" yet literally nothing of substance to make any of those sound notable has been introduced. There's the assumption that Ambrose somehow becomes King and Kvothe murders him for whatever reason (stealing Denna) but even then committing regicide to somehow becoming a powerful and beloved folk tale is a pretty tall order.

Pretty sure there's nothing beloved about Kvothe's legend and I suspect his action have probably caused even more hatred for the Ruh. Though if the average Ruh act anything like Kvothe's dad it'd be more than earned because holy poo poo he's a terrible rear end in a top hat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure there's nothing beloved about Kvothe's legend and I suspect his action have probably caused even more hatred for the Ruh. Though if the average Ruh act anything like Kvothe's dad it'd be more than earned because holy poo poo he's a terrible rear end in a top hat.

The whole reason the chronicler shows up is to write the official story of Kvothe's heroic saga. He even geeks out like a fanboy for half the time he's talking to Kote.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is that true about the book implying Ambrose becomes King of Vintas and Kvothe offing him?

Because holy poo poo that makes this Rothfuss's high school revenge fic

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Malpais Legate posted:

Is that true about the book implying Ambrose becomes King of Vintas and Kvothe offing him?

Not Vintas, the Commonwealth, but otherwise yeah (and then everyone stood up and clapped).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a warrant out for Kvothe's arrest, but otherwise nobody in the "present" seems to have anything negative to say about Kvothe at all.

Malpais Legate posted:

It's not all-but-stated in the way that, say, Kvothe seducing his aunt is all-but-stated. The evidence is: We know Kvothe needs to kill a king at some point, we know Ambrose is in line for a throne, we see Ambrose move a few places up the line to the throne, and Ambrose is someone Kvothe could easily want to kill.

I think it's more likely that Ambrose is a red herring. Kvothe names his sword a break in a poetic line, which suggests that the king Kvothe kills should be a poet. One of the sex ninjas mentions traveling with a "Poet King", but there's also Sim, who (unlike Ambrose) is a poet, but who (like Ambrose) is somethingth in line for some throne.

But all of this is pretty much grasping at straws, because the text gives us nothing else to grasp at. Two-thirds of the way through "The Kingkiller Chronicle", we have met a grand total of zero kings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's gotta be Sim otherwise there would be no emotion behind the king killing. If we ever get it In assuming he kills Sim and Denna unintentionally or something.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's gotta be Sim otherwise there would be no emotion behind the king killing.

There's no emotion behind anything else in the series, why start now?

Killing other Edema Ruh who don't live up to Kvothe's ideals and have done bad things would give some emotion. Killing some bandits who aren't Edema Ruh would not. The former is clearly better from a writing perspective, but Rothfuss goes with the latter because he favors his base instinct of "my darlings are perfect!!" over telling an actually good story.

So while killing Sim would be better from a writing perspective, there's a nonzero chance that Rothfuss just has Harry shank Draco instead.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'll be shocked if Ambrose doesn't end up being a really lazy fakeout

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Obviously Ambrose gets hollowed out as a vessel for Bast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Didn't he post a long rant on his blog about making GBS threads all over a high school bully or something similar? It was pretty personal and extremely immature for a guy in his 40s to spend so much time writing angrily about an event in his high school years.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

Didn't he post a long rant on his blog about making GBS threads all over a high school bully or something similar? It was pretty personal and extremely immature for a guy in his 40s to spend so much time writing angrily about an event in his high school years.

I doubt it. That would involve him writing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Then the pizza delivery guy shows up and says, "Man, you sure got a nice home and are hugely successful and obviously intelligent, and I delivered pizzas to that bully from high school and his house isn't as nice."

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Torrannor posted:

R Scott Bakker. :unsmigghh:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Rime posted:

R Scott Bakker. :unsmigghh:

R "Black Demon Seed" Scott Bakker.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

R "Black Demon Seed" Scott Bakker.

Everyone gets so hung up on the black demon seed, nobody remembers the weeping Conan the Barbarian loving holes in the ground.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Everyone gets so hung up on the black demon seed, nobody remembers the weeping Conan the Barbarian loving holes in the ground.

I stopped after book 2 and that was just the part that stood out most to me. While different than Rothfuss, it still very much read "look how smart I am."

Just didn't mesh with me. One of my friends with similar taste though loves it and suggests it to everyone.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

I stopped after book 2 and that was just the part that stood out most to me. While different than Rothfuss, it still very much read "look how smart I am."

Just didn't mesh with me. One of my friends with similar taste though loves it and suggests it to everyone.

Oh I love Bakker's exact brand of philosophical wankery, he's one of my favourite authors.

I just really wish he didn't have all the weird sex stuff. Still less hosed up than Auri.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The difference is that Bakker is actually smart

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish Auri were real so she could give me an old button and then moonwalk out of the room. God! Don't you just love her zany wild free-spiritedness! She's like Darma in Darma and Greg!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is there some unspoken rule that all lovely "epic fantasy" needs to have That One Female Character Who Is Childish, Weird, and Insightful?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Malpais Legate posted:

Is there some unspoken rule that all lovely "epic fantasy" needs to have That One Female Character Who Is Childish, Weird, and Insightful?

Not sure about epic fantasy but it's definitely an anime thing and I'm sure Rothfuss was/is a giant weeb.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Malpais Legate posted:

It's not just epic fantasy!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't think there's an equivalent for this in Wheel of Time, but there are so many characters it's possible I forgot one. Either way, none of the main female characters fit that archetype.

The closest would be Min but she barely fits. She's mostly a Tom boy and she has a unique Talent, but her behavior is fairly level headed the whole series.

I don't think there's anyone like that in A Song of Ice and Fire either. But Luna in Harry Potter seems to fit the bill.

Edit: I guess people consider Ygritte from A Song of Ice and Fire to be one but that hardly seems right.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 22, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

there are No Original Ideas

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There is such things as bad ideas. Auri is a sexist and patronising idea.

Ophelia appears only twice after going mad, and is basically incommunicate because she is in her own world.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is such things as bad ideas. Auri is a sexist and patronising idea.

Ophelia appears only twice after going mad, and is basically incommunicate because she is in her own world.

To be fair, Auri started out as only patronizing to people with mental illness.

It wasn't until WMF that she became a sex object too.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Not really sure how I feel about this. http://deadline.com/2016/11/lin-manuel-miranda-the-kingkiller-chronicle-movie-tv-show-1201861224/

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

And this is coming less than 24 hours after Rothfuss accidentally leaked a page from book three on Twitch, went berserk over it and blamed everyone but himself, and for an encore said that people asking when book three is coming out sounds to him like "the sound of of like a nail being dragged across my teeth combined with the smell of someone who just poo poo on themselves".

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So, what I'm learning is that Rothfuss can't write and he's also a horrific manchild.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Maybe he doesn't feel like finishing the series and is hoping for a GRRM/HBO-style ghostwriter deal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope this finally puts to rest the whining that Book 3 isn't being worked on, if nothing else.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Not working on Book 3 would be a point in Rothfuss's favour.

Lol at how you still haven't found any good writing in Kingkiller

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lin-Manual Miranda is a talented guy, he may be able to take the only elements worth a drat and make something interesting with them.

Also, :lol: @ Rothfuss oh christ.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did anyone get the leaked page? Kinda wanna read it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone get the leaked page? Kinda wanna read it.

From what I hear it basically says nothing and is from like Page 8 of the book.

That said this latest outburst from Rothfuss (coupled with the years of waiting) has made me decide to wait till I can get the book from my local Library instead of buying it because gently caress giving him any money if hes gonna be an rear end all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's always :filez:

• Locked thread