Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

that rematch banner sucks. might be the first half price lucky draw banner I won't never not pull on

I always pull on half price. I got a 4-Point Shuriken, which I guess is nice because Yuffie has a ranged option. :geno: I shouldn't've pulled. Don't be me. This lucky draw is Actually Bad unless you're, like, literally just starting and need quick statsticks.

That said, it's hilarious how much more quickly Bahamut SIN melted in a world with Celes and Sephiroth BSBs. Vaan BSB and Mug Bloodlust meant Caius was a kitten after that pre-mitigation hatefuck salvo. Cagnazzo was still a bitch with his counter stops and AoE Sleep, but it turns out that someone who's been playing a while could potentially have at least three Slow-resist accessories, if not four or more.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inge posted:

Usually with a RW Shout though, and shared medicas.

Munoma probably doesn't have full break either

e: ^ It's never worth it. Someone should put together a salty whale compendium for the next OP

Yeah, I worded that a bit bad. I was just questioning the part about Wall being a requirement for Ultimates, which it really isn't.

But fair, it's a huge stepping stone when you're just getting in to harder content. My perspective is a bit warped by having an old, stacked account.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I would be alright with Cagnazzo if he didn't have stupid aoe sleep and slow along with all his other bullshit. This fight is terrible and would totally pass as a U++ these days.

It's making me realize just how bad my FF4 synergy is, with the caveat that I totally cleared the FF4 event that just ended. I don't have a single native 5* melee weapon for FF4, only Rosa's Medica bow and Tellah's first staff.

I should go ham on the next 4 banner if I don't pull a Cecil sword or something during the OSBfest.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Tried to do Caius with a full 13 synergy team, but got annoyed with his attack spam at the end. Physical A-team including Vaan and Paris BSBs made a mockery of him along with SG for good measure.

Decided to roll my mage meta team for Cagnazzo. Couple times he hosed me with AoE Waterga before I could even blink. Super nice to have native Sheepsong and SG, so I could RW Ashe's BSB and really gently caress him up when he tries gathering water.

Bahamut SIN I wrecked with a full VII team of Seph/Yuffie/Vincent/Red/Cait Sith. I put Mako Might on Seph and led off with Nibelheim Nightmare, which in this fight is more useful than his SSB. Pretty much killed the creepers almost straight off. From there, I had Vincent Wrath up his en-Fire SSB and was ready to kick in the orb's faces and any other creepers. Red was on support duty and popping Lunatic High. Yuffie plinked away, ready to use either her SSB or Clear Tranquil as needed. With SG as my RW, I was basically invulnerable and could easily poo poo out damage. In fact, I had only killed 6 creepers by the time I had Bahamut down to only a sliver of HP, so I had to stall until the last 2 popped in.

Now, I distinctly remember that fight giving me loving fits many months ago and I in fact never mastered it, only a clear by the barest of margins with what was my A-team at the time. Now I can CM it if I so choose thanks in part to the weapons and SBs I have drawn since then. Thanks, power creep!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I decided screw it and pulled.

Not bad actually! My FF7 synergy has been kinda crap. If this was a full priced pull I would have been disappointed but at only half price I feel like I got something.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 29, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Attestant posted:

Yeah, I worded that a bit bad. I was just questioning the part about Wall being a requirement for Ultimates, which it really isn't.

But fair, it's a huge stepping stone when you're just getting in to harder content. My perspective is a bit warped by having an old, stacked account.

It's also easy to forget about synergy. It makes a huge difference. When I first started out and good synergy meant four items with a glowy border out of fifteen for me, I saw a handful of posts from people listing their boss-killing setup and saying oh my synergy for that realm isn't so great and it's like nine out of fifteen items had RS.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Bahamut SIN... whatever, no problem, of course. Had to slow down killing him to kill the 8 creatures, but I got full medals so missing out on that condition wouldn't have affected anything I guess.

Caius... it was pretty cute the way he hit my healer Eiko twice in a row on the first attempt and killed her before I could do anything. It's like the developers are saying "Yeah we know you guys like to S/L out of these fights, so catch these hands". Once he split up the opening attacks and I could get all my mitigation up, fight was a breeze, as expected.

Cagnazzo though. I remember when everyone was talking about how Cagnazzo was one of the hardest Ultimate+'s even in the Japan version, so I feared it. I almost didn't bother trying it because I didn't think my party was up to snuff, but I managed to clear it and was pretty stoked. Figured I could do it now with fun new toys like Rinoa BSB, but holy poo poo I am getting trolled to hell and back. The fact that he can start charging water at any time he wants, without any rhyme or reason as to when he decides to do it, keeps resulting in failed attacks. Oh I thought I could hit him with ice, now he's charging up. Hopefully I can get three attacks in in time... oh I guess not, the Tsunami came out and the last lightning attack whiffed. Fine, at least I can hammer him with ice for a while... oh look at that, he's charging water again. gently caress! On my second attempt he actually started off the fight charging water before anybody had even used an action yet, holy poo poo. I think I need to go with a different team approach...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So you guys helped me beat the Ahriman mote dungeon and already I beat the FF13 mote dungeon, but now I'm trying to do any of the others and I'm getting crushed. Does anyone have any tips for those?

For example, you guys told me that blind and poison work well on Ahriman and that helped a lot, but none of that was explicit in the boss fight description. Are there any tricks like that I can use on the others? They seem way harder than the FF3 and FF13 ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I keep seeing everyone's "good" pulls from this lucky draw and it's just making it easier and easier to pass.

Also I used my new Maria BSB from the black friday lucky draw to CM the II mote dungeon last night :toot: Just need Ifrit and Ahriman now.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So you guys helped me beat the Ahriman mote dungeon and already I beat the FF13 mote dungeon, but now I'm trying to do any of the others and I'm getting crushed. Does anyone have any tips for those?

For example, you guys told me that blind and poison work well on Ahriman and that helped a lot, but none of that was explicit in the boss fight description. Are there any tricks like that I can use on the others? They seem way harder than the FF3 and FF13 ones.

The trick with the Magus Sisters is that they are all vulnerable to sleep. You can either RW Reno's SSB (AOE auto-sleep) and murder them all with magic, or if you aren't confident in your damage bring like a sheep or onion RW and manually sleep them. This is also the recommended CM way.

The Ogres in the Red Soul mote dungeon can also be slept, so you can do something similar, although you still have to deal with Red Soul. They don't unlock their scary AOE spells until like their fifth turn, so if your burst is good you can wipe him out without much fuss. The CM approach is harder since II synergy is so rare, but a RW Maria BSB can provide the damage.

Mote Ifrit is a jerk. A big fat stinking jerk. The first of the mote bosses and by far the hardest. Load up on fire resist, have a backrow knight with Amarant's Draw Fire RM (for his first two turn physical attacks) and magic lure, bring lots of magic mitigation, and a Serah BSB RW for the enice and 4 hit ice command attack. Have your strongest mages use faith or memento mori, cast the RW, and spam the first command. Pray he doesn't spam meteor. This is also the CM approach, but with no wall, medica, or good damage SBs you are completely at RNG's mercy. (Unless you have something like Dreamstage or some other awesome VIII SB)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also: There's no shame in being unable to kill mote Ifrit.

That fucker is probably the hardest boss released in global to date, at least if you disregard early bosses when the game was new, and nobody had anything good. He's massively tanky, represents both physical and magical threat, and is super fast. Basically DeNa had no idea what they were doing, and overturned him significantly.

There's a reason why every FF8 banner released is full of ice soul breaks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KnoxZone posted:

The trick with the Magus Sisters is that they are all vulnerable to sleep. You can either RW Reno's SSB (AOE auto-sleep) and murder them all with magic, or if you aren't confident in your damage bring like a sheep or onion RW and manually sleep them. This is also the recommended CM way.

Ok let's start here. I can't imagine that many people have a Reno SSB up as their RW. If anyone reading this does, please post your friend ID so I can follow you.

Next, I have almost no sleep abilities but this dungeon combined with the MP dragon fight has made me consider making and honing Phantasm. I have a 99 Ramza that should be able to use it.

After that, is it just a matter of keeping up Sleep while hammering Cindy, then finish the rest off?

Are there any BSBs I can lean on besides Sephiroth? Here are all the characters I have that are 80+:

Lightning 80 - Crushing Blow

Fang - 80 - Just got her BSB and SSB

Cid - 80 - every relic except BSB

Ramza - 99 - every relic except BSB

Y'shtola - 99 - SS2

Celes - 89 - Indomitable Blade

Agrias - 89 - no relics but she owns

Serah - 80 - Clock Master

Bartz - 86 - Trueblade of Legend

Mustadio - 80 - SSB

Gilgamesh - 80 - BSB

Faris - 80 - BSB

Eiko - 80 - Carbuncle and reraise SBs

Zidane - 80 - SSB

Basch - no relics but is a machinist

Selphie - 80 - Dreamstage

Sephiroth - 80 - BSB

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Holy poo poo Caius can kiss my rear end

9k regen aoe spamming motherfucker

I don't think I ever bothered with this guy the first time and I remember why now

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok let's start here. I can't imagine that many people have a Reno SSB up as their RW. If anyone reading this does, please post your friend ID so I can follow you.

Next, I have almost no sleep abilities but this dungeon combined with the MP dragon fight has made me consider making and honing Phantasm. I have a 99 Ramza that should be able to use it.

After that, is it just a matter of keeping up Sleep while hammering Cindy, then finish the rest off?

Are there any BSBs I can lean on besides Sephiroth? Here are all the characters I have that are 80+:

If you're looking for Reno's SSB, start here and search for "Turk Bombshell". Make sure to select a few folks with high MND, as that influences how long the sleep effect lasts.

Phantasm is super useful for inflicting sleep, though unlike Turk Bombshell it's limited to single targets and doesn't have a 100% hit chance. (50% is still good so far as sleep effects go.) You'll definitely want to hone it for the Magus Sisters, Kashuan Keep, or both.

Other than that, yeah, it's not a terribly difficult fight so long as you keep them controlled. Cindy is more dangerous if she's actually awake to hit you (as you've got a lot of physical damage there), but the worst thing she can do is to cast Holy and that's locked to keep it from being cast back-to-back. Just make sure to have a lot of good hones, as grinding through Cindy's health is still a slog regardless of your damage type. (Native Shout helps, of course!) Additionally, if you're leaving Cindy awake then make sure not to kill her sisters while she's still alive, as unlike with several other fights with enemies who'll revive each other Cindy will get her sisters back up fast.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Well, gave the OK1 Banner one more shot for the gauntlets.

Bad news is no gauntlet.

Good news is 3/11 got me Luneth's BSB, Ingus Shield and Arc SSB staff.

So yknow, not all that bad.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
For Mote Sisters, I actually used Lullabye.

Odds of hitting one of the three are about the same as the odds of Phantasm hitting one of the three, due to the MT vs higher rate, and it's way cheaper.

Yes, it's dopey. But it worked!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SageAcrin posted:

For Mote Sisters, I actually used Lullabye.

Odds of hitting one of the three are about the same as the odds of Phantasm hitting one of the three, due to the MT vs higher rate, and it's way cheaper.

Yes, it's dopey. But it worked!

This is what I did and it worked pretty well. Couldn't get the tubby sister to sleep right away but it still did the job well enough.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Revenge Caius down, it took a few loads but oddly enough none of them were to his opening attacks - there were a couple close calls with those but on those his third attack missed.

For Cagnazzo, I have a couple questions:

- Do multi-hit lightning abilities count for multiple attacks against the Tsunami prep? I am assuming this is not the case.
- If a character with Magic Lure is then Stopped, does the lure dissipate?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AweStriker posted:

Revenge Caius down, it took a few loads but oddly enough none of them were to his opening attacks - there were a couple close calls with those but on those his third attack missed.

For Cagnazzo, I have a couple questions:

- Do multi-hit lightning abilities count for multiple attacks against the Tsunami prep? I am assuming this is not the case.

-Your assumption is correct, they do not (they do a lot of damage though!)
-That's an excellent question. You don't lose any other buffs when stopped so I would assume not.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

AweStriker posted:

No. This exact scenario happened to me when I mastered the fight, after my reflect RM wore off. It's not an ideal situation to be in, since you're down one set of actions, but it still works as a short-lived stalling technique.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
While multi hit abilities don't work, RM that cause you to doublecast like Blood of Espers do.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Inge posted:

Usually with a RW Shout though, and shared medicas.

Munoma probably doesn't have full break either

This is a silly assumption.

I have Full Break and Multi Break.

I prefer Multi Break due to the AoE effect.

Anyway I got lucky last night and had two Onion Knight Motes drop. I'm only at level 90 with him but I'm finally starting to see why people like him so much.

That and I dumped all of my available motes on him.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

-Your assumption is correct, they do not (they do a lot of damage though!)
-That's an excellent question. You don't lose any other buffs when stopped so I would assume not.

I see - that one was more of a curiosity since I got Edge's Kotetsu from the revenge banner I pulled on like an idiot (I'm pretty stacked in VII and XIII, so much so that Bahamut SIN the first time when it came out was not particularly challenging - and naturally this time he was even easier).

The Lure question came about because I also recently acquired Beatrix's BSB and I figured it might be good to take along. Although I may just go the full mage, since I have Vessel of Fate and more than a couple good casting sticks in IV.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

AweStriker posted:

The Lure question came about because I also recently acquired Beatrix's BSB and I figured it might be good to take along. Although I may just go the full mage, since I have Vessel of Fate and more than a couple good casting sticks in IV.

You're talking about the screw all four hits lower Holy resistance right?

When the Orb dungeon hits it would probably be a good investment to hone Banishing Strike and Holy Cross if you haven't already.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Munoma posted:

You're talking about the screw all four hits lower Holy resistance right?

When the Orb dungeon hits it would probably be a good investment to hone Banishing Strike and Holy Cross if you haven't already.

Yes, the four-hit Imperil Holy. (The Attack command for that burst gives Draw Physical and Draw Black, hence the question). I have Banishing at R3 and Saint Cross at R2 already, but yes More of That is good.

Ideally I find an Enholy somewhere too, since I have Raines' Imperil Holy SSB as well.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I didn't listen to my own advice and got punished for it.

1/11 - Tellah's Dire Meteo - marginally weaker then an SSB, can't be boosted since it's non-elemental, 50% HP cost

It's as close to an offbanner as you can get. I don't mind the extra FF4 Mage synergy since both of my Golbez relics were armor so Porom can take her Staff back, but other then that it sucks.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 29, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

pichupal posted:

1/11 - Tellah's Dire Meteo - marginally weaker then an SSB, can't be boosted since it's non-elemental, 50% HP cost

I'm quite irritated that there aren't any non-elemental buffs stacks available. It could make Ruinga much more viable for certain fights.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's something satisfying about hitting Caius with 8 7500 hits with Hope's En-Holy boosted SSB.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

There's something satisfying about hitting Caius with 8 7500 hits with Hope's En-Holy boosted SSB.

Which reminds me: Adult Hope dress record when? Having watched XIII-2 he was one of the better parts of it.

(Also, Cagnazzo is proving to be a jerk as expected)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Lightning OSB event, I think.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The best piece of generic advice I can offer as someone who actually struggled against Cagnazzo this go 'round (didn't even attempt him the first time) is that Ice is a trap. I got hosed by the barrier going up while charging an Ice ability so many times. Bring one source to fulfill the medal conditions and however much lightning you need to deal with Tsunami, if you choose to deal with it at all and don't plan on face tanking it, and then make the rest of your damage non-elemental.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

The best piece of generic advice I can offer as someone who actually struggled against Cagnazzo this go 'round (didn't even attempt him the first time) is that Ice is a trap. I got hosed by the barrier going up while charging an Ice ability so many times. Bring one source to fulfill the medal conditions and however much lightning you need to deal with Tsunami, if you choose to deal with it at all and don't plan on face tanking it, and then make the rest of your damage non-elemental.

This is just RNG being RNG. When I fought him he only went into Tsunami mode two or maybe three times the whole fight. Granted he WILL shift eventually, and at least then he won't shift back out of it until you hit him with 3 lightning attacks, so I guess the lightning route is more guaranteed. Anyway I had a spellblade with one of each element, a black mage with one of each element, and had my healer use an Ashe BSB for a third source of lightning damage.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 29, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

flowinprose posted:

This is just RNG being RNG. When I fought him he only went into Tsunami mode twice.

This is a good assessment; what's typically doing me in is Slow. I only have two Slow-resist accessories, so I'm hoping to put them where it counts (on OK and Y'shtola).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Tsunami was only hitting for 1700ish with wall/shell/magic breakdown. If you have a medica you can absolutely just face tank it. I didn't once break his surge with lightning.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The trick with Cagnazzo is that you have to pace yourself. Don't select your Ice Attacks until after he's done an attack. Then wait for the next one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

In general, you have a really good set of wind-elemental BSBs. Fang and Zidane both deal a ton of wind damage and Imperil Wind, and Fang and Butts both have wind renzos as burst commands.

Also re: Cagnazzo yeah fuuuuck the RNG of 3/4 fiends, these are some of my least favorite bosses in the game because their gimmicks are so utterly unpredictable

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Swift Bolt is key to defeating Cagnazzo, at least for me. A hasted ninja can get two attacks in, which can be handy if people are slowed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Bit late on this, but if anyone is still having trouble with the Magus Sisters mote fight, I've swapped my RW over to Turk Bombshell and given Reno as much FFX synergy MND gear as I could.

Code is e5R5.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I've done all the III fights, and have been grinding the Enigma dungeon non-stop since the event went up. I'm still 1 Onion Mote short of fully upgrading the little guy, and my entire FF3 cast is 1 level away from the cap. Is there a better way to get this last mote, or do I just fling non-synergy people at it until the event ends or I get the loving drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I think the only other way to get them other than the xp dungeon is as a drop from the ultimate or the mote dungeon. After the event the only way to get onion motes is as a random drop from the ahriman mote dungeon fight.

• Locked thread