Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

The question "Can you describe the Reaper cycle as 'to clear a crowded sky'?" is a [2] mark Understanding & Comprehension question and does not require 1600 semi-relevant words to answer.

You making this post is something extremely precious :v:

exquisite tea posted:

The only effortposts about ME3 worth reading end with a trip to Chipotle and a sacred promise to protect the legacy of Commander Shepard.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Milky Moor posted:

That's kind of a key thing. Shepard - and the player - interacts with the world through either shooting or talking and both of these options have clear win/loss outcomes in the eyes of the player. In that sense, the Reapers had to be brought down to Sovereign and Harbinger to give Shepard someone to talk to and interact with. But ME3 really prevents the player/Shepard from doing either of those things (if they shoot the Catalyst, they get the worst possible ending, too, which smacks of someone being upset over the ending's reception). Part of that is because the Reapers themselves - a race of sentient super-battleships - aren't exactly suited for a three-person squad combat game. If the Reapers were defeated by having enough war assets in a space battle outside Shepard's control, that'd be unfulfilling. If the Reapers were brought down by killing Harbinger, or convincing them to leave the galaxy with a Paragon interrupt, that'd also be unfulfilling. Sometimes, I think Bioware had a fundamental conflict between their antagonists and the scale of their gameplay and that ME3 was doomed to have a poor ending.

I got to the end of ME3 without spoilers and I emptied my gun into the catalyst's skull when presented with those choices, I think that was a common reaction.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You know, thinking about it, here's what I would probably have accepted:

We see Reapers corrupt synthetics to their will. So let's say their creators set them up to act as galactic peacekeepers. Their code is a little off however and whenever they witness a synthetic race get created they notice that race go to war with their masters and have to intervene. All this without realising that they're the ones corrupting the synthetic races to go to war to begin with.

Having witnessed this cycle for eons and seen it go to utter poo poo they conclude that synthetic life is always trouble and go about putting it down. However, they then realise that it's impossible to stop organics from constantly making synethics and so decide to put the kaibosh on all organics as well.

If ME3's secondary plot was centered around the revelation that the cycle was not some grand design, but due to a flaw in the way the reapers worked you could create a good ending where playing through lots of sidequests in the game helped you build enough evidence to display to the reaper core AI that it was the thing causing its own prophecy and convince the reapers to destroy themselves.

But that's just bad fanfiction so screw it.

Edit: And the final scene would play out like Phoenix Wright. Genius.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I salute my fellow posters in their constant battle against Lt. Danger's stupidity.

It was also fun to read basically everything I went over in my retarded argument with him condensed into a single, nice effort post. Which he promptly ignored.

Good times.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Psion posted:

you of all people do not get to criticize long posts on ME3, my friend

Milky Moor's thesis is that the Reaper cycle cannot be about galactic-scale husbandry (?) because Mass Effect is a third-person shooter with characters and people in it (??) and that's not a good way of conveying hubris (???). I like Milky Moor, but I am gonna rib him for rambling here.

Also this is the Mass Effect Andromeda thread, so we should be saving our words for talking about the upcoming third-best Mass Effect title.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if ME:A is cool and good then I will be happy

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

Milky Moor's thesis is that the Reaper cycle cannot be about galactic-scale husbandry (?) because Mass Effect is a third-person shooter with characters and people in it (??) and that's not a good way of conveying hubris (???). I like Milky Moor, but I am gonna rib him for rambling here.

Also this is the Mass Effect Andromeda thread, so we should be saving our words for talking about the upcoming third-best Mass Effect title.

ME3 can be whatever its idiot writer and producer want it to be. Whether the end result is effective or not is another matter

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I have started my annual Christmas Trilogy run and I wanted to tell you guys know about a mod I got for ME3 that adds a lot of cool features. It's called Expanded Galaxy Mod. Since the last thread was up for nearly 5 years, I won't pretend like it wasn't mentioned but I just thought I'd share it in case no one has heard of it. It's also very easy to install.

Here's a link.
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350/

This sounds like a really good mod but it also sounds ridiculously ambitious for a game that wasn't really meant to be modded. I mean there's barely any nude and sex mods for ME3 and that's kind of the barometer for how easy something is to mod. Does it actually do half the things the descriptions says?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kibayasu posted:

This sounds like a really good mod but it also sounds ridiculously ambitious for a game that wasn't really meant to be modded. I mean there's barely any nude and sex mods for ME3 and that's kind of the barometer for how easy something is to mod. Does it actually do half the things the descriptions says?

Probably not but then again neither did the base game lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm new to Mass Effect threads and was curious why everyone was ragging on you. Now I get it.

You're like the local Zaphod.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lt. Danger's posts.... are good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alain Post posted:

Lt. Danger's posts.... are good.

i enjoy reading them but I think they fundamentally misunderstood Milky's thesis and it's a little rough for someone who so frequently argues not to take the time to try and understand, ask for clarification, and engage someone else's argument.

but then I remember this is the ME thread, and ...jetpack turians, man. jetpack turians.

Lt. Danger posted:

Every ME thread is the ME3 ending thread. Forever. This is pretty evasive.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 29, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Psion posted:

i enjoy reading them but I think they fundamentally misunderstood Milky's thesis

Calling it anything but "willful misrepresentation" is being extremely generous.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm new to Mass Effect threads and was curious why everyone was ragging on you. Now I get it.

lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You can't talk about a game that completely reboots the universe of Bioware's formerly gold-star in-house IP without discussing the horrific game and ending that forced them to go this route.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ending was good.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Lt. Danger posted:

talking about the upcoming third-best Mass Effect title.

Don't make assumptions, the central plot for Andromeda might be that the native aliens are slowly dying out due to a lack of genetic diversity and it is up to newShephard to gently caress them back to life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nevets posted:

Don't make assumptions, the central plot for Andromeda might be that the native aliens are slowly dying out due to a lack of genetic diversity and it is up to newShephard to gently caress them back to life.

F. Ryder is only too happy to help until a nefarious synthetic spoils everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

The ending was good.

Letting the Mass Effect series die was the only moral choice. Now we live in a Legacy of Kain-esque dystopia where the greed and corruption of its creators have caused the cycle to begin anew, begetting even more desperate Tali weaboos and their cursed ilk.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nevets posted:

This would unironically be amazing. Embrace what you've become, bioware, and make this game the largest most diverse dating sim ever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Since it has explorable environments and separate cooldowns, Andromeda will be either the best or second best Mass Effect game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ferrinus posted:

Since it has explorable environments and separate cooldowns, Andromeda will be either the best or second best Mass Effect game.

This does not make sense, as the other game with these features, Mass Effect 1, was the worst Mass Effect game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It was the best because it had separate cooldowns and explorable environments. Unfortunately, it never received the copious quality of life improvements MEs 2 and 3 enjoyed... until now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I love that the ghost of zaphod haunts all of SA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also thought the separate cooldowns were poorly balanced in ME1 because at some point you could pretty much just keep cycling powers constantly and have basically every enemy be disabled by some biotic/tech power forever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope bottles of Tali sweat are on the loot tables as a homage to the old Bioware forums.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

I also thought the separate cooldowns were poorly balanced in ME1 because at some point you could pretty much just keep cycling powers constantly and have basically every enemy be disabled by some biotic/tech power forever.

once you upgraded Liara's singularity enough you could just drop that and do whatever you wanted for the next five minutes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

moist turtleneck posted:

lol I love that the ghost of zaphod haunts all of SA

Oh, what happened to him?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rumor has it if you sit in a darkened room and mention Zaphod three times in a single post, a faint rolleyes emoticon fades into view and stares at you through your monitor.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Yeah, it ruled. And eventually you had enough newtons or whatever on your Lift power that you could even pick up those geth tanks with it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
we've mastered interstellar faster than light travel and gravity wells and also have invisible fields that make it so we can still show our facial expressions while on a planet with no oxygen...but i need you to collect 35 spaceweeds in order to upgrade your shoes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alain Post posted:

I'm guessing that most people played soldier and not biotic god. Most people probably didn't armor glitch 24/7 either.

Individual cooldowns do let you do some interesting things with powers - remember Unity? 150s cooldown so it's basically one per fight without being limited-use like medigel in ME2. Can't do anything like that with a shared cooldown system.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but taking advantage of whichever you pick is good.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 29, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat I had actually forgotten her entirely. ME3 was a mess

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

frajaq posted:

Chobot's inclusion was kinda weird because like who was on the fence about buying ME3 and then was like "oh dang Chobot is in it? sold!"

like it didn't gain them anything and took stuff off the table

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Emily Wong, never forget.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pattonesque posted:

Chobot's inclusion was kinda weird because like who was on the fence about buying ME3 and then was like "oh dang Chobot is in it? sold!"

like it didn't gain them anything and took stuff off the table

I think the idea was that you get a bunch of free press for stuff like "behind the scenes being a Mass Effect voice actor" or whatever. It was kinda dumb

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

frajaq posted:

She is the IGN reporter insert, right?

Why the gently caress they allowed that to happen again?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The last time I played ME3 I told her to gently caress off at the beginning and it's probably a good decision, especially when you consider in all likelihood that she's turned into Reaper goo later on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I literally never understood what people had against that character. Is it just the fact that she's a cameo of a real person? I don't know who that person is, but Diana Allers is 400% unremarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait does she have boobs and a butt like that in real life?!