Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I tried playing as Charlemagne since I picked up the DLC and...drat. It's impossible for me to keep track of that many vassals, especially when they dump all those names on me from the start.

Is there a round-up screen that shows all your vassals and their relative strength? The closest I've seen is when they're in a plot and you can see their percentage of levies compared to you.

I just sort the vassal screen by potential strength. It's not perfect, but usually the guys at the top of the screen are the ones you care about the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edison was a dick posted:

a holding improvement build queue

this would be amazing

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Volkerball posted:

this would be amazing
Agreed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So after binging on EU4 over the weekend I feel like playing some ck2. What's a good spot to just chill and do whatever without being neither a superpower, nor a total pushover? I have every dlc, always played as boring European catholics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

I tried playing as Charlemagne since I picked up the DLC and...drat. It's impossible for me to keep track of that many vassals, especially when they dump all those names on me from the start.

Is there a round-up screen that shows all your vassals and their relative strength? The closest I've seen is when they're in a plot and you can see their percentage of levies compared to you.

The character sheet has the realm tree button that shows vassals and how strong they are in relation to their liege. It's the lowermost of the three buttons right of the Dynasty coat of arms.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 28, 2016

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The Realm Tree?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

So in my after the end game the Confederacy is getting fuckin huge and they basically got everything from the Mississippi to Florida to the Pentagon and we now share a border. They've always kinda been a pain in my rear end, but I'm still pretty new to this game. What are my options for knocking them down a peg? How do you tackle a big rear end empire like that? All I have is Gotham and some surrounding counties.
If you're just a kingdom, swear fealty and eat it from the inside. Join every faction that lowers the realm powers, intrigue spy on the emperor to try and get him in some way, get favours on strong vassals and then force them to join your factions for independence or just start marrying for claims and power; there are probably no kings in that empire unless it's really gotten huge, the AI hates making kingdoms for some reason.

You might have to convert, both for opinion and marriage reasons, so be aware of that I suppose.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drakhoran posted:

The Realm Tree?

I completely forgot about that thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TorakFade posted:

So after binging on EU4 over the weekend I feel like playing some ck2. What's a good spot to just chill and do whatever without being neither a superpower, nor a total pushover? I have every dlc, always played as boring European catholics.

Well, one regular complaint is that playing in India is boring as gently caress, so there's that as an option.
Abyssinia is also pretty out-of-the-way; if you fancy the 769 start, you can grab some nearby Counties easily enough which should give you the manpower to resist the local Muslims.
Starting as Sjaelland/Svithjod in 769 makes you a giant in the sandbox, with (realistically) only the other Duke to worry about, so once you've had a quick race to see who can get big first, nothing else in the area can really bother you. Plus, you've got Reforming/Converting as medium-long term targets.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I find that merchant republics tend to be good "just chill somewhere random and don't gently caress around with the big empires" games. You have enough money that you can punch way above your weight if you get invaded, but you won't be doing aggressive expansion the way you would as a feudal ruler.

Obviously this limits your starting options a bit but it's still pretty wide open if you pick the Charlemagne start and choose a tribal to evolve into a MR.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone have a clue why my Haida Americanist Merchant Republic courtiers can't become adventurers? They say that they've gone out to do it, then don't form properly and just become courtiers in random courts with the adventurer trait

I mean, yeah it's nice to have them to land and make into little conquerors later but I was rather hoping to use them to get distant lands via voting them heirs

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Drakhoran posted:

The Realm Tree?

Ahhhhhhhhh I knew there had to be something like that but I'll be damned if I could find it. That + sorting by potential strength is perfect.

Now if only there was a mod for Ye Olde Notetaking. Little medieval post-it notes for character sheets where you can write poo poo like "REMINDER: KILL THIS GUY ASAP" or "Waifu Material".

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 28, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wow this warhammer mod really went all out i mean i dont know poo poo about warhams but their is like 12 governments now? holy poo poo

also why are there catholics and germans

e: and islam! what am i missing here! i dont remember this

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 28, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

i love how the paradox forums has to make their negative vote "Respectfully Disagree," like someones feelings might get hurt if you disrespectfully disagree with them

That forum is full of racist shitlords. It's the only way they can make them be respectful.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Freudian posted:

Play the gently caress into it.

Per prediction the Sunni French King tried to Holy War the Christian bit of Spain (Navarra in 1093?), and immediately lost. The Pope then called a crusade for Aquitaine which split the nation, and the Sunni king then 'died during chamber business' a month later, with his Christian brother taking over. I used the opportunity to grab Paris and the Duchy of Valois. Fifty years later the English are steamrolling the broken French nation and my grandson is duke, and is best friends with the King who has just lost six wars in a row.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
At least you didn't have the situation I did a while back where a Sunni inherited the HRE and immediately set out revoking all his Catholic vassals' titles. Everyone hated him but was too scared of his army to revolt. Fortunately, stabbing continues to solve a very large number of problems.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

verbal enema posted:

wow this warhammer mod really went all out i mean i dont know poo poo about warhams but their is like 12 governments now? holy poo poo

If you're getting things literally called catholic/islam then something's gone wrong but if you just mean "very similar" then yeah that's warhammer for you, all the human stuff is very very obviously copied from real history with a few weird magic things. The mod in general is really good at bringing it all to life though, if anyone else is curious I really recommend trying it out.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Grizzwold posted:

At least you didn't have the situation I did a while back where a Sunni inherited the HRE and immediately set out revoking all his Catholic vassals' titles. Everyone hated him but was too scared of his army to revolt. Fortunately, stabbing continues to solve a very large number of problems.

That's even more amazing. I think most of the titles in Aquitaine got revoked as a result of the Crusade so now it's a bunch of suspicious germans in charge of the south of France. Aquitane got set up as an independent kingdom though not just added to the 'most valuable crusader' though so not sure. I'm guessing if the k_france title got crusaded then I would have lost my counties. I've got the save now though so i might save scum around with it and see what else I can do.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 29, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

If you mean actually Catholic and German then you probably pasted the mod into the Steam directory, which you shouldn't. If you mean not-Germans and not-Catholics then yeah that's how it is.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Played a Charlmagne start game as the Ynglings and for once say Carloman win over Charles... That really throws the world out of whack in a hilarious ways and Catholicism is in real bad shape by 900 A.D. including Premyslid super Slav state to the east, Umayads controlling Aquitaine, The saxons holding on in Germany and every Karling successor juggling their own antipopes. Although the holy orders have started to emerge to ruin Heathen Glory!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Need some advice on how to handle a recent inheritance.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor. I am also the King of Bavaria, Duke of Bavaria and Austria, and had enough counties/baronies within those Duchies to max out my personal demesne (9/9).

I inherited the Kingdom of Italy from my mother and now I'm up to personal demesne of 14/9 and vassals of 31/23.

Before Italy I was still was near max on my vassals and I'm pretty much maxed out on my ability to delegate to others (granted Kingdoms of Frisa, Germany, Bohemia/Austria, and also Viceroys of Andalusia and Lithuania). I could get the vassal count down by about only 3 or 4 if I gave out viceroys of Burgundy and Lotharingia. I could go to Max centralization but that would impact my personal holdings and wouldn't cover enough vassals. I'm many years away from getting Imperial admin.

I have 2 daughters and 1 son. One daughter is already married and gone. The other is 15 and not betrothed yet. My son is 7 and so not worth talking about. All my titles are primogeniture.

The best solution I could think of so far has been to get my daughter matrilineal married and then grant her all of my mother's Italian titles. I would also name her Viceroy of Italy (unless just giving her Kingdom title is better?). Pros: Keep the titles in the family. Daughter already has friend relationship modifier to me. Brings my personal and vassal numbers back to under the limit. She's a girl so I don't have to worry about powerful vassal council issues for at least another generation. Cons: She is still young so not sure how her traits will pan out. Can keep her from getting ambitious now but what about in the future? The strong claim on all my titles will be there a while.

Plan B: Create a bunch of characters to gift the titles. Give Viceroy to whichever Duke would be best to have it. Pros: No family issues. No one strong vassal in Italy. Cons: My family loses the titles while I'm trying to play a game to build my dynasty. Cost of creating the new lords.

Plan C: Give away a couple of my barony level titles so I can keep a couple good counties in Italy for myself while giving away the rest with plan B. Pro: More money/troops for me. Cons: Don't know what I would do with duchy titles or King title. Wouldn't solve my vassal limits as I would likely be adding more under my new counties.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You don't have a bunch of uncles and cousins you can use?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not really. Most are either dead, already landed or girls

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Zero One posted:

Plan B: Create a bunch of characters to gift the titles. Give Viceroy to whichever Duke would be best to have it. Pros: No family issues. No one strong vassal in Italy. Cons: My family loses the titles while I'm trying to play a game to build my dynasty. Cost of creating the new lords.

If you want to give out titles to new vassals you don't have to pay to create them. Just sort through the lowborn men in your realm with the character search and directly grant titles to the best ones.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Skellybones posted:

If you mean actually Catholic and German then you probably pasted the mod into the Steam directory, which you shouldn't. If you mean not-Germans and not-Catholics then yeah that's how it is.

nah tossed it into the my documents blah blah of the ck2 stuff

crashed once on the first year autosave which ive seen mentioned and crashed another time for idk

still fiddlin' with it

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Been watching a couple no name youtubers do some LPs of this and though they're alright to good and I'm learning a lot, I'd really like to see someone just break this game over their knee. Anyone got any recommendations for some very expert level plays where they min/max, do crazy poo poo, family eugenics...stuff I don't even know is possible?

Vanilla, modded, whatever.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Can a tribal vassal called into a war raise a tribal army?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, but the AI won't do it. They'll only do it as the primary attacker or defender.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Has someone made a mod for the CBs so that under conclave's Illegal Vassal Wars, they can't actually declare war if they aren't under your top level title's de jure area? It's annoying me a fair bit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zero One posted:

Not really. Most are either dead, already landed or girls

So arrange marriages for all the unlanded women, and then hand out titles to them?

You should always be doing matri marriages for all the women anyway, even if it means you're marrying them to a random courtier. Getting more people in the family is better than a potential alliance, especially because you can force create alliances via tributaries.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The question was about minor family members. I can't really control who marries who outside of my court.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

binge crotching posted:

Getting more people in the family is better than a potential alliance

More than ever now with Reaper's due. (If nothing else, they make a healthy snack.)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

That's even more amazing. I think most of the titles in Aquitaine got revoked as a result of the Crusade so now it's a bunch of suspicious germans in charge of the south of France. Aquitane got set up as an independent kingdom though not just added to the 'most valuable crusader' though so not sure. I'm guessing if the k_france title got crusaded then I would have lost my counties. I've got the save now though so i might save scum around with it and see what else I can do.

Just to close this off after Adelaide and her son took over the newly independent Duchy of Valois I got this special being as my next heir:

Feeling good about this run.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Just to close this off after Adelaide and her son took over the newly independent Duchy of Valois I got this special being as my next heir:

He'll be dead within 5 years and an inbred imbecile will replace him.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'm betting his doctor chops his balls off to cure a cold before any heirs are born.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
His hand got chopped off by a doctor but then Satan grew it back for him. He also spends about half the time with 0 Dip due to speaking in tongues.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What I always find funny in CK2 is how much more circumstances matter than stats. My greatest rulers have always been some fourth choice heir like and underage daughter with a learning education that only inherits under ag-cog because my three sons all died of smallpox, who then goes on to take the duchy she inherits to an empire by picking off territory from rivals in civil wars, even taking on power blobs like the Abbasids, and living to 80. The carefully groomed strong geniuses usually get a few nice military victories and then accomplish nothing else of note for the rest of their lives. Assuming they don't just loving die because they tripped in the hallway.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 29, 2016

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah this guy is doing okay but there is only so much intrigue to be done in a four county independent duchy with no independent counts. Mostly just good fun roleplaying the crazy satanist.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Goddamn I would do just about anything to make sure I inherited as him. Hell, with him only 16 right now I'd purposefully abdicate just so I could take over and play him right now.

Also, are you really sure he's your heir? He doesn't have the little crown icon that normally indicates that ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
And his sibling, who's a baron, does :v:

• Locked thread