Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

NT Plus posted:

Is the decidedly best way to play air raider to drop a tank and just blow up bugs?

Air Raider has a lot of tools that are really situational. Sometimes it's worth running the mission once before settling on a loadout. For outdoor missions I always try to have one airstrike and then turrets. The airstrike is what I spend the thought on. For example, on Crimson, any of the howitzer/bomber/missile strikes are really useful to distrup and destroy the advancing ants. On something like monster party I'd fall more towards the orbital laser. The vehicle you pick should do one of two things:
A) Be strong enough to kill critical enemies while the other players mop up the trash
B) Fast enough for you to kite stuff around the map while your teammates kill.

thats my 2 cents, cya shitlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dali Parton posted:

Well I'm a half hour past the steam refund window. I guess I'm in this for the long haul. I think part of the problem is that only the flying loli is really really mobile. The other classes seem interesting but everything feels sluggish compared to her.

I was also hoping there'd be bigger monsters to really give a sense of scale, but right now it's just a waves of ants, spiders, and (as of this mission) swarms of UFO fighter things.

While the Ranger will never be particularly fast even if you diagonal dive roll a ton, there is a mindset realization that can really, REALLY help when facing the scope of distance.

Ranger Rocket launchers all have a "range" of 3,000, essentially draw distance and better than basically all literal sniper weapons (though lacking the instant to near instant projectile speeds :v:).

Most of them have surprisingly good accuracy, even the rapid fire cascade line. Your targets tend to range from the size of cars to buildings.

Now the biggest thing I miss when playing any other class, are the rocket launchers. Because I've been spoiled by how versatile they are in both exploding patches of bugs, and killing UFOs and artillery firing giant robots from all the way across the map.

EDIT: Oh right. Taken for granted by us older players tip. You can just jump into any difficulty you want at any time. Better difficulties have better drops tables based on the difficulty and what level you are on. So if you want a leg up, play a mission you know you can handle on a higher difficulty to grab some bigger guns, then drop the difficulty back down to what you are comfortable playing.

http://weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/?p=r

This has been the nicest site I've see for items listings. It has an english translate option, can double as an online checklist, and can show you the drop ranges of items with the "view spawn mission info" engrish button.

A quirk about Hard difficulty, is that it has the tightest drops bands. You never see anything lower than level 10 , and starts out as high as 20. (Normal caps out at 20), and it keeps moving the threshold along. Hardest and Inferno meanwhile have higher max drops, but still fill out the RNG with low level stuff.

For example, In mission 26. Hard will drop roughly levels 25-55ish. Hardest will drop Level Zero-50ish. Inferno will drop level 4-65ish. Every weapon box you pick up is a random chance for it to be ANYTHING in that level range, including duplicates.

So while you do have a chance to get much, much higher level toys on Hardest/Inferno at any given mission, you also have the chance for the RNG to outright hate you and give you nothing but stuff worse than Hard mode can get.

All that still applies if you want to use the Cheat engine "Pretend I got however many weapon boxes I say I did" script :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 6, 2016

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Section Z posted:

All that still applies if you want to use the Cheat engine "Pretend I got however many weapon boxes I say I did" script :v:

if you tell the game you got half a trillion drops it melts ur pc, ask me how i know

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

if you tell the game you got half a trillion drops it melts ur pc, ask me how i know

Man, I totally feel that. While I've only used it for some quick rounding out of stuff or initial injection of "gently caress it, I want my Wing diver to have 400 max health right now" stuff, even when I told it "I want 1,000 boxes please" the RNG still can hate me with a fiery passion.

I legit cleared normal-hard and all the drops except a few stray "This only drops on the final mission in Hard" weapons with Ranger (Thanks, Machine Squad!), but no shame in admitting I've used it to take the edge off stubborn holes in my drops tables or give the other classes a selection of early hard mode gear.

Big reason I like that script over some "And now you've unlocked everything! and have 50,000 HP" one, is I get to just use it for rough patches while still primarily playing "Normally" for that sense of progression, now that I went through all the levels solo legit with Ranger.

EDIT: No slight against people going whole hog on their unlocks, especially if they already did so with their PS4 copy.

I just wanted to preserve desperately using the most self destructive weapon I had at the time because it had the biggest numbers of my current drops :downs: Goliath is my best friend and my worst enemy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 6, 2016

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

NT Plus posted:

Is the decidedly best way to play air raider to drop a tank and just blow up bugs?

If by tank you mean helicopter, and if by bugs you mean everything, then absolutely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zed Di Dragon posted:

If by tank you mean helicopter, and if by bugs you mean everything, then absolutely.

The helicopter with the 'bombs' that are just missiles that have no booster is amazing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's a drat shame that there's only one of them because it's incredible for tunnel exits.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The helicopter with the 'bombs' that are just missiles that have no booster is amazing.

Which one is that? I think I've managed to skip it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's the level 56 fire Nereid. Park yourself near a tunnel exit and kill everything that comes out.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Alternatively set the whole place on fire.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
My favorite fuckup so far
https://a.pomf.cat/eqszql.mp4

I didn't last very long

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sweet MLG 420 BLAZE IT midair no-scope 360 shot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
maybe this dumb game isn't so bad after all. I wish air strike dude was more solo friendly, though :(

Is there an EDF goon group?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I lust for spider-like giant insect death: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ChickenHeart/

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Marogareh posted:

It's the level 56 fire Nereid. Park yourself near a tunnel exit and kill everything that comes out.

I've tried it now and it's beautiful! Big shame that not all Nereids have that type of bomb.

Flamethrower is great too.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I used CE to get every weapon for every class and i have no regrets.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Zed Di Dragon posted:

Waterside Bugs is much easier than it looks. You get to destroy four tunnel exits before the mutants spawn, and you want to make sure those exits are the ones that spawn wasps, as well as the ones that spawn ants. If you do that, you can avoid golden ants and red wasps.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/253714756091458633/0C0DA178635E4743FD75245AA3B6C141AC373359/

Left to right destroy 2, 3, 5 and 6, not necessarily in that order.

Survive the initial onslaught of mutants and destroy the other tunnel exits, also not necessarily in that order.

This worked! I've played the entire game co-op with my girlfriend. I'm usually Wing Diver or Fencer, she's Ranger or Air Raider. The best strategy was me flying around and softening up the spider and red ant tunnel exits while I destroyed the black ant and hornet ones with the Luonatarr. Then I prioritized the nearest spider tunnel exits with one or two shots to destroy them quickly. We managed to clear that level on Inferno with every character paired with Wing Diver. A similar strategy worked for that level 60ish one that spawns a hornet tunnel exit immediately to your left at the start of the level.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just unlocked the giant robot that punches things as air raider.The sense of scale is incredibly satisfying and I feel like I'm in a saturday morning power rangers episode.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I've been playing 2025 and on a whim I picked up Insect Armageddon for cheap. Wow, I can see why people think IA was not a good game.

After playing 2025 is it worthwhile to go back and play the older games?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Always Be Busterlording

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ReverendHammer posted:

I've been playing 2025 and on a whim I picked up Insect Armageddon for cheap. Wow, I can see why people think IA was not a good game.

After playing 2025 is it worthwhile to go back and play the older games?

It might be worth playing EDF2 since it's a different visual style and many of the enemies don't have equivalents in 2025.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Looking back at the current EDF 5 videos it would be cool if there were unlockable costumes. I'd play as the EDF security guy who didn't sign up for this the whole game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Marogareh posted:

Looking back at the current EDF 5 videos it would be cool if there were unlockable costumes. I'd play as the EDF security guy who didn't sign up for this the whole game.

Giant insects are attacking Raccoon City! It's my first day on the job and the Wing Diver is looking for her brother.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

dis astranagant posted:

It might be worth playing EDF2 since it's a different visual style and many of the enemies don't have equivalents in 2025.

Picked that one up for PSTV. Are the opening missions meant to be kinda short comparatively? Was it the same way in the PS2 version?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ReverendHammer posted:

Picked that one up for PSTV. Are the opening missions meant to be kinda short comparatively? Was it the same way in the PS2 version?

Yeah, long missions really aren't the PS2 EDFs' thing.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Picked this up on steam sale. I was surprised I missed this as I love sandlot's earlier games. I keep a PS2 just to play RAD.

Grinding Air Raider is miserable. There is not a single mission I can complete on normal (I'm up to 10) that I can do on hard. I get so close, but they easily doubled the HP of the enemies. Those huge spiders take forever to kill with the lv0 limpet gun.

The worst part is I've played the other classes and things aren't so bad. The explosive splash damage on the air raider is killing me and my pals, though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Vaporware posted:

Picked this up on steam sale. I was surprised I missed this as I love sandlot's earlier games. I keep a PS2 just to play RAD.

Grinding Air Raider is miserable. There is not a single mission I can complete on normal (I'm up to 10) that I can do on hard. I get so close, but they easily doubled the HP of the enemies. Those huge spiders take forever to kill with the lv0 limpet gun.

The worst part is I've played the other classes and things aren't so bad. The explosive splash damage on the air raider is killing me and my pals, though.

Just jump online to play with a bunch of rando's. Stuff you unlock online carries over to single player (and vise versa) and a extra body always helps. Even getting a few carries from a hell mission 2 will do wonders.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You're never going to kill anything with an air raider gun. My suggestion would be to use the air strikes and vehicles as the class specializes in air strikes and vehicles.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ok, I'll try some multiplayer. I just need some good guns or anything that doesn't explode me when I get stuck to the webs.

I tried to just airstrike stuff, but those ants overwhelm everything, and it's 5 minutes for a reload on the airstrikes. Sometimes I can keep a single ant alive to keep the next wave from spawning, but just as often I can't. Even the very first mission on hard is impossible with the default loadout. I can get to the last wave of ants, but "Keep them away from the tanks" and then I'm bum rushed by a million ants. My tank gets killed by the splash damage of my own shots off the ants, then I am ragdolled for a 30 seconds while exploding myself with my only gun.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Air Raider more than anything is a support class, whether that's laying down pillars for attack/defense buffs or just blowing up large swathes of enemies; it's a terrible class to play solo. Hop into online, bring a tank and some air strikes and hang in the back blowing up absolutely everything while the rest of your squad actually takes the hits.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Early game air raider is god awful until you get hardest-inferno equipment. It's also one of the classes that you really need to know the stages beforehand so you can bring the right equipment to decimate your targets.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vaporware posted:

Ok, I'll try some multiplayer. I just need some good guns or anything that doesn't explode me when I get stuck to the webs.

I tried to just airstrike stuff, but those ants overwhelm everything, and it's 5 minutes for a reload on the airstrikes. Sometimes I can keep a single ant alive to keep the next wave from spawning, but just as often I can't. Even the very first mission on hard is impossible with the default loadout. I can get to the last wave of ants, but "Keep them away from the tanks" and then I'm bum rushed by a million ants. My tank gets killed by the splash damage of my own shots off the ants, then I am ragdolled for a 30 seconds while exploding myself with my only gun.

Air strikes don't recharge based on time, they recharge on kills. You could wait infinity minutes and it's never going to charge.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm at like 98% overall completion and holy hell grinding for more armor is a slog. I probably need to double if not triple armor for all four characters to finish the remaining Inferno levels. My overall play time is like 300 hours. I've hated this game since like the 200 hour mark but my girlfriend is a supersperg completionist :suicide:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm at like 87% on PS4 and my PSN+ is running out in a week and I'm just like ehhhhhh maybe I'll resub if I ever grind an assload more armor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm at like 98% overall completion and holy hell grinding for more armor is a slog. I probably need to double if not triple armor for all four characters to finish the remaining Inferno levels. My overall play time is like 300 hours. I've hated this game since like the 200 hour mark but my girlfriend is a supersperg completionist :suicide:
I just keep using Cheat Engine and dropping 100 armor on all my guys for each day of playing. It is like a logging bonus each day.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I gave up at 82% online and just went for the hardest-inferno trophies in single player. Doing some of these levels on inferno with pubs is a recipe for disaster.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Saint Freak posted:

Air strikes don't recharge based on time, they recharge on kills. You could wait infinity minutes and it's never going to charge.

well crap

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is also based on the value of the target. It being that unless you are killing GI-ANT spiders or Queens, the garden variety murder bugs recharge your weapons the slowest.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To continue having fun, I finally caved and used that memory scan program and off-the-internet scripts to top off my armor.

I put in my time. Another 100 hours to effectively unlock DLC inferno isn't fun, that's work. I do enough of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Which missions are you missing with which characters? I have no doubt there's a strategy which doesn't require any armour grinding, doubly so if you're playing split screen.