Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

my other car is balls posted:

Agreed. If you have any confidence at all with a soldering iron it should be pretty simple to add in a switching jack between the amp and speakers.

I'd get the head. This amp in particular has a direct out, so I wouldn't be messing with the speaker load or anything like that. It has a "mute switch" which I can only guess is a dummy load to make it safe for operating without a speaker. It's almost marketed as a direct to your PC tube amp. I'm also fairly certain the direct out would be post poweramp.

I think part of me really just wants to put this tube head on top of my notoriously solid state roland for the sake of doing it. I'll look more into the impedance of the direct out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Yeah, what I'm suggesting is adding an input to the speakers on the JC55 into which you can plug the fender head.

It's not just impedance that's a problem with the direct out on the fender. It looks like it has a balanced line out which is not going to work well into the front of the JC55. At best you will get a very attenuated signal. You could maybe get around that by using some sort of reamp type box I guess.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

I think part of me really just wants to put this tube head on top of my notoriously solid state roland for the sake of doing it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

philkop posted:

I'd get the head. This amp in particular has a direct out, so I wouldn't be messing with the speaker load or anything like that. It has a "mute switch" which I can only guess is a dummy load to make it safe for operating without a speaker. It's almost marketed as a direct to your PC tube amp. I'm also fairly certain the direct out would be post poweramp.

I think part of me really just wants to put this tube head on top of my notoriously solid state roland for the sake of doing it. I'll look more into the impedance of the direct out.

Yeah, reading some reviews that mention this too. Didn't realise this was even a thing. Soudns cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, reading some reviews that mention this too. Didn't realise this was even a thing. Soudns cool.

On mine if you leave it in standby it does the same thing if a line out is plugged it, it's really very cool

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

There we go!

I'll have to look more into impedance and whatnot before I try the direct thing. As far as the speaker thing people are suggesting, I understand that method but would rather not do it. I also doubt the speakers would be the correct ohms. If I understand the head correctly, it can be used by itself direct to a PA or recording setup without a speaker. I imagine it was at one point intended to fill the gap between people who use amp sims direct and people who still want a raw tube sound.

lovely marketing aside, I tried one of these amps and really liked the sound for the price. It had a great low volume room sound as well, which is big for me. My one grip is that the three gain stages are not selectable via footswitch or midi at all. They aren't "channels" but rather 3 distinctly different settings for the amp to function in. Each causing it to react a bit differently and probably need different eq tweaks. Not to mention the volume gaps are intense. So I get it. But I could still rock a footswitch and my volume knob to make it work, and would have liked that to at least be an option.

Totally off topic but I added a neat feature to my guitar some of you guys might want to try. A bass roll off switch. Now I have master volume, master tone A (treb roloff) and master tone B (bass rolloff.) Gives me some neat options and it has allowed me to basically leave all my amp settings at 12oclock and dial in tones through my guitar. Definitely worth a try if you are a tinkerer and like hands on tone shaping. It can take you from dominating a mix or providing a gentle backdrop to the rest of the music.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

philkop posted:

Totally off topic but I added a neat feature to my guitar some of you guys might want to try. A bass roll off switch. Now I have master volume, master tone A (treb roloff) and master tone B (bass rolloff.) Gives me some neat options and it has allowed me to basically leave all my amp settings at 12oclock and dial in tones through my guitar. Definitely worth a try if you are a tinkerer and like hands on tone shaping. It can take you from dominating a mix or providing a gentle backdrop to the rest of the music.

Isn't that kind of what most Reverend Guitars have as standard controls? I once played their version of the Flying V (Volcano? Or something like that), and I thought that it was neat to have the “bass tone control” thing. Made the guitar feel more like “stabby”, to put it in somewhat weird terms.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's how most G&L guitars work too

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
And rickenbackers

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Didn't realize it was already out there commercially. Kind of thought I stumbled on these neat little secret!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Some Guilds had a switch for putting the two pickups out of phase, yielding a really thin sound out of what was otherwise a full-sounding guitar. Sort of like a bass cut, but different. I never used it, though.

I could see having a bass cut knob on a V. Mine are impossibly meaty-sounding. (Usually that's good, and I run them into a fuzz, but they don't ever sound articulate.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

philkop posted:

Didn't realize it was already out there commercially. Kind of thought I stumbled on these neat little secret!

It still kind of is a secret just because of how far up the past's rear end the industry is

Those tend to not be the most common guitars despite being pretty cool

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

Some Guilds had a switch for putting the two pickups out of phase, yielding a really thin sound out of what was otherwise a full-sounding guitar. Sort of like a bass cut, but different. I never used it, though.

I could see having a bass cut knob on a V. Mine are impossibly meaty-sounding. (Usually that's good, and I run them into a fuzz, but they don't ever sound articulate.)

Funny you mention that. My tone pot push pulls my two p90s out of phase. Love the sound. It's been a staple on my guitar for about 2 years.

The bass knob would definitely cut some meat out and add articulation. Joe Gore "Tone Fiend" has a pretty good demo of this.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I found a demo of his double varitone tone switch thing. Seems pretty cool. I'm waiting to hear when his Cult Germanium Channel pedal is available.

Usually I use a Distortion+ or a treble booster for a bass cut, which sounds great through an Orange, but I'm now kind of looking for a different drive for 335 into JC-77. If I keep playing guitar with this band, I may try Orange + JC. The Thunderverb is way too dark and mushy sometimes, but the JC would fix that right up.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gorgar posted:

Same with the three-way "eh, we'll call it a feature" switches on Mustangs where each is "one phase"/"off"/"other phase" giving you a total four sounds (five if you count "dead").

Of course, since that was insufficiently crazy, I swapped the bridge humbucker on my Jag-Stang with a Lace Sensor Red/Blue Dually, so the three-way switch is now "Red"/"Humbucker"/"Blue". The neck pickup still has the original wiring, so I can pull it out of phase with the bridge if I want to. My Fuzz Factory is a big fan of that guitar.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The other guitar player in the band I'm in plays a home-built 12 string with three humbuckers that can all be switched for the two coils series/parallel/single/etc and there's custom wiring for combining all that, yielding some insane number of sounds, two or three of which he says he uses. He had fun building it and exploring options to find his preferences, though.

I'm dull as gently caress and like two volumes, two tones, and maybe stereo wiring. I'd go for that bass cut, though. It'd be less extreme than the kind of nasal sound I find out of phase settings give me. I never know what to do with that sound. Doesn't fit my style, I guess.

I do have one strange mod on a V, though: if you pull the tone knob out, it applies a huge treble cut (via a different cap, I think) to the neck pickup. I originally wanted it so I could send a bassy signal to the JC with delay on, to make it fill out the sound atmospherically without having a lot of distracting high end. It'd probably be more useful in a band without a dedicated 12 string player.

Edit: don't mean to monopolize the thread, but I get all chatty when JCs come up. A different subject: anyone playing guitar through a bass cab? Thinking about pairing a Super Reverb that's been shoved into a head box with a 2x10, so I can use it for low-volume bass and also guitar.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 16, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can crank a bass through a guitar head with a bass cab. Only real problem you'll find is maybe the tone stack cuts some low end but you're talking about a Fender circuit. Weren't they all based around bass amps at the time, anyway?

Hell if stereo Marshall guitar amps were good enough for Lemmy.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I go for a lot deeper sound than Lemmy does, but yeah, the Super Reverb doesn't sound that different from a Bassman. It's not hurting for low end, at least for a four string. I'm more thinking about whether the highs would be acceptable for guitar, given a 2x10 with no horn.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I think guitar specific speakers are more defined by what they cut out rather than what they leave in, whereas bass speakers tend to be more full range. It might sound okay but there might be a bunch of extra frequencies in there which makes things sound a bit poo poo. It will depend on exactly which speakers and exactly how you use them I guess.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
back in the kyuss days josh homme ran jcm 900s among other things through ampeg 8x10 cabs

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 16, 2016

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Fun fact; the early Ampeg fridges used guitar speakers. No idea if Josh Homme used those ones though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I really like the idea of a bass cut knob in addition to a standard tone knob. Or a single knob with a catch point in the middle that went [Full Bass Cut<----->Middle(tone knob disabled)<----->Full Treble Cut].

Half of the people who own overdrive pedals use them specifically for cutting bass to tighten up high gain sounds. It's such a simple yet incredibly useful and powerful feature. How has this not been standardized in the industry yet?

Shugojin posted:

It still kind of is a secret just because of how far up the past's rear end the industry is

Oh, right.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

GreatGreen posted:

I really like the idea of a bass cut knob in addition to a standard tone knob. Or a single knob with a catch point in the middle that went [Full Bass Cut<----->Middle(tone knob disabled)<----->Full Treble Cut].

Half of the people who own overdrive pedals use them specifically for cutting bass to tighten up high gain sounds. It's such a simple yet incredibly useful and powerful feature. How has this not been standardized in the industry yet?

Oh, right.

I've done the single knob thing with Fender's center detent "PTB circuit" and was not a fan. I've had 3 of those pots crap out on me in a very short amount of time. Separate pots or a stacked dual pots are the way to go.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Are these the same concepts as Clapton's signature guitar and pickups? Volume roll, Bass/Treble roll and a "distortion" roll?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean the G&L strat types are volume/tone/tone where one tone is a bass roll-off and the other a treble roll-off, that's the PTB system as they call it. It's one of the little tiny but really good tweaks Leo made to his stuff over the years.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Shugojin posted:

I mean the G&L strat types are volume/tone/tone where one tone is a bass roll-off and the other a treble roll-off, that's the PTB system as they call it. It's one of the little tiny but really good tweaks Leo made to his stuff over the years.

My mistake. PTB stand for Passive Tone Blend I believe, which isn't the thing I was thinking of.

The little pot I am slamming is the the TBX http://www.samash.com/fender-tbx-to...cM2AaAqcx8P8HAQ

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
So I just purchased a Vypyr VIP 2... Currently using a 15w Marshall Valvestate I bought 20 years ago so looking forward to something new.

Anyone got one of these? I was wondering if the foot pedal added a lot to it or not?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got the VIP3 and the cheaper foot pedal. It doesn't really add much, at least not an extra £90 worth of features unless you want to use the built in looper, the £200 double pedal works great but gently caress that price.

Been tempted to sell the whole thing as well as my Zoom G5, then just split my signal between my TI15-112 and DI to PC. Bias amp/FX do a much better job of modelling anyway.

Only problem then is the corner guard on the VIP3 has a big crack in it and the value on used ones has already halved round here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

So when I bought my Mustang it came with a license for some Amplitube Fender SE dealie. What actually is that? Is it that if I am already am an Amplitube user now I have a pack of Fender models to match or?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Anybody ever used one of these? http://www.effectrode.com/blackbird-vacuum-tube-preamp/ Thoughts?

Seems like I'm on a never ending quest to turn my tiny Roland JC-55 solid state into something its not. I'm ok with it though. :)

I'm looking for some kind of tube head or preamp that I can run into my JC. This would be great right into the front. I'm not trying to match any amps sound, I just want touch sensitivity and volume knob fun. Definitely need something with a ext out switch for controlling the channels. I use a boss gt100 for all of my non distortion effects. I could run this through its effects loop and have a pedal that engages it right there on my gt100.

I'd just velcro this to the top of my amp and treat it as "amp settings"

E: I've had a lot of fun with my Joyo American sound using it essentially as my drive pedal. I'm under the impression that this will be an even better version of it. I know a lot of sound comes from the tube preamp, but if this ends up being a better, two channel, extension switch out version of my joyo pedal I'd be in heaven.

philkop fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 29, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
for that price you could easily get a used rack preamp like a peavey rockmaster or engl e570

another option would be a jfet-based pedal like the amt legend or ss series

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

The Muppets On PCP posted:

for that price you could easily get a used rack preamp like a peavey rockmaster or engl e570

another option would be a jfet-based pedal like the amt legend or ss series

True, I forgot about rack stuff. I wouldn't need the functionality of a foot pedal so I really don't need to spend too much money in that direction.

I'll probably stick with my Joyo American Sound (similar to the amt legend) for now and really focus in on dialing in the tone I want.

I can run it into my Boss GT-100 through its fx loop and move it before or after delays, phasers and stuff like that. The boss is decent enough for those modulation type effects and it didn't adversely affect my clean signal like the pod hd500 did. But the drives are noticeably digital. The Joyo is one of the better drives I've found through my JC 55.

My plan right now (since I have 3 of Joyo pedal) is to rebuild one into a small altoid tin with no knobs and find a spot to velcro it on my gt100. It's pretty transparent with everything at 12oclock and I run compressors and eqs with it through my GT to really sculpt the tone depending on the situation.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
those pedals that use 9v and have a preamp tube dont really have enough voltage to get anything out of the tube iirc

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Smash it Smash hit posted:

those pedals that use 9v and have a preamp tube dont really have enough voltage to get anything out of the tube iirc

Its 12v for what its worth.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

Its 12v for what its worth.

yeah i still dont know, plus that bad boy is using three of them, has me kinda iffy about it. a friend of mine runs a pretty prominent pedal company and he likes some of the circuits that have the preamp tube but the tube just isnt being pushed at all.

butler makes a 9v tube driver that is the same thing and it sounds okay but, the maker now does a 120 v one with a connected cord that actually does pull some ~*tone*~ from the preamp tube

http://www.butleraudio.com/tdorder.php

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You are right in that a lot of pedals use Low Plate power for the valves and they are essentially just marketing gimmicks, there is a lot of those around.

However the Blackbirds site says:

quote:

The signal path is 100% pure analogue built with vacuum tubes operating at amp plate voltages. D.C. powered tube heaters ensure absolute quietest possible operation.

So they seem to be legit in the valve dept if they are operating at amp plate voltages.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

peter gabriel posted:

You are right in that a lot of pedals use Low Plate power for the valves and they are essentially just marketing gimmicks, there is a lot of those around.

However the Blackbirds site says:

So they seem to be legit in the valve dept if they are operating at amp plate voltages.

Yeah I saw that but I am just not sure how they would do that with such a low voltage coming into the pedal, personally If i wanted such a thing I would just grab the Butler at around the same price - seems safer to me. Their whole pitch just rubs me the wrong way like a used salesman. Butler seems like some dude hanging out in his garage making something he thinks is cool

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

The Muppets On PCP posted:

jfet-based pedal

Just found out the box of rock was a JFET pedal. This was one of my favorite pedals! Zen drive too. your definitely onto something. I guess I just like JFET drives.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

Just found out the box of rock was a JFET pedal. This was one of my favorite pedals! Zen drive too. your definitely onto something. I guess I just like JFET drives.

JFETS, depending on their circuit can behave alot like preamp tubes. So people who tend to prefer the natural distortion of preamp tubes probably love JFETs for the most part. I have a MosFET running the preamp of my tube amp instead of a 12ax and I really like the way it sounds. My amp tech who used to work at the NJ amp factory likes them as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yeah I saw that but I am just not sure how they would do that with such a low voltage coming into the pedal, personally If i wanted such a thing I would just grab the Butler at around the same price - seems safer to me. Their whole pitch just rubs me the wrong way like a used salesman. Butler seems like some dude hanging out in his garage making something he thinks is cool

For what it's worth I've never been sold on the idea of valves in pedals either, just seems like they tap into a specific market (tone chasers) and I dunno, I'd sooner get a good valve amp if that's what I want to achieve.