Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Obsurveyor posted:

Grades are for school, who gives a poo poo about video games? Just do what keeps things fun and interesting.

The satisfaction of being S-Tier is palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is fascinating to me because I've been gaming for a long time too and I've gone the other way. Now I've never in my life enjoyed min maxing or grinding but I can pretty much only get into games with a good story these days. So Overwatch is cool but does nothing for me. Witcher 3 on the other hand is possibly one of my all time favorite games because it's all story. There's no grinding or min maxing necessary to enjoy that game and its writing.

I like a solid story in a game though. To qualify that though, what i consider to be recent games with good stories are things like Life is Strange, Tales From the Borderlands, Last of Us and Gone Home.

Really tired of fantasy stuff for the most part so a slightly edgier version of it like i experienced in the Witcher 3 did very little for me so all that was left was poo poo combat and another tedious open world. I'm even getting a bit tired of Doom now because of the usual commlink guy telling me to: "something, something, go here, something, something you need to hit a switch to do a story thing" -> monster room -> rinse -> repeat. I'm near the end apparently so i'll keep going and finish it.

I agree about Overwatch though, i've played for probably 100+ hours at this stage and i have no idea what the story is because i have zero interest in the little bit i do know. I just want to shoot the mans and do the objectives.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

exploded mummy posted:

So why doesn't the store accept my credit card or paypal anymore
If the store failed on any verification check, even a timeout, it'll ban you from both credit cards and paypal for a day. Sucks but just get wallet codes off Amazon and they're instantly delivered

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

exquisite tea posted:

Is the new PS4 Pro-whatever going to be compatible with 1440p?

When I got my pro I tested it with my 1440p monitor, and I can confirm that it only displays 1080p. Maybe it could work if your monitor has built-in 4k downscaling and reports itself to the ps4 as 4k. I doubt Sony has any plans to support it in the future, but it would be nice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morby posted:

Best Buy is doing the Buy 2, Get 1 free promotion again next week. Uncharted 4, Minecraft, and BF1 are excluded.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/359831-best-buy-ad-124-1210-buy-2-get-1-free-on-any-xb1ps4-games/

Dang I hope this shows up in Canada. Gladly wait till next week to get FF15 if I could grab a couple other things alongside it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Is the new PS4 Pro-whatever going to be compatible with 1440p?

Uc4 and titanfall 2 render in 1440 native

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Concurred posted:

So what the gently caress is causing my PS4 to cap downloads at 54mbps even though my downstream and wireless router are more than capable of exceeding that? Googling has revealed that it's a known issue but it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

If you can, go to your router settings and disable using both 802.11b and 802.11g modes. This might be called something different in the settings. It sounds like something about your PS4 and your router is dropping things down to that level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't think it can output that though, it gets scaled.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think it can output that though, it gets scaled.

Cerney is very mysterious

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Real hurthling! posted:

But it still downscale that to 1080p when connected to a 1440p display, so I don't think that counts as compatible with 1440p.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CrashCat posted:

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Most have ended up here, in the poisoned earth, awaiting sweet oblivion *gestures to graveyard*

I know I'm supposed to treat it like the meatgrinder it is but man, losing your starting four is brutal, especially after you guided them through their various struggles with alcoholism, delusions of sainthood and nymphomania.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hungry Computer posted:

When I got my pro I tested it with my 1440p monitor, and I can confirm that it only displays 1080p. Maybe it could work if your monitor has built-in 4k downscaling and reports itself to the ps4 as 4k. I doubt Sony has any plans to support it in the future, but it would be nice.

If I bought the new PS4 I'd probably want to hook it up to my current PC monitor. I don't necessarily mind playing at 1080p but with a 27" screen I'm concerned that the image would come off as a little grainy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Imagine you're the guy sitting down and playing Rocket League for the first time in his life and being so instantly in love that you want to spend the rest of your life doing nothing else. That's me right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Fix posted:

Imagine you're the guy sitting down and playing Rocket League for the first time in his life and being so instantly in love that you want to spend the rest of your life doing nothing else. That's me right now.

That is the only online game I've played in years that I instantly loved.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I was weak. I own FFXV

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My only reason for not getting it, like today, is that my roommate has been super hype for it for months and he finally just got it. He works a lot more than I do/he games less, and I don't want to be that friend who just blows way past him poopsocking and steals his thunder.

It's a tiny, dumb, logic, but I'll take any thing I can get to stop me from buying it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I bought it because I want to play it before we hate it in like 72 hours

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exploded mummy posted:

I bought it because I want to play it before we hate it in like 72 hours

My only real caution is that it's very much an open world RPG and if you either hate those on principle or burned out on 200 hours of DA:I/Witcher 3 isn't probably isn't going to do much for you.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The open world aspect is precisely why I decided to jump in. I've been itching for an open world slog for a while since finishing the Witcher and this looks like it'll hit the spot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ff15 has been pretty good imo, tho I'm not that far in

seems like you should def watch kingsglaive and maybe that anime thing (which I haven't seen) before playing tho. like it actually uses scenes from the movie early on

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How much of an action game is it? Like is it like a Dragon Age: Inquisition level of looking like an action game, but not actually being one, or does it feel more like, I dunno, Monster Hunter?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Watching Kingsglaive seems like a good way to kill time while the game installs/patches. How long is it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus who dresses like this??! This girl....

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Manatee Cannon posted:

ff15 has been pretty good imo, tho I'm not that far in

seems like you should def watch kingsglaive and maybe that anime thing (which I haven't seen) before playing tho. like it actually uses scenes from the movie early on

Watch Kingsglaive for the insane cgi, the story is absolute trash. Watched it in 4k in Tokyo at the film festival earlier this year and it looked ridiculous.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Jesus who dresses like this??!

Please don't steal the title for my Squeenix artbook

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

How much of an action game is it? Like is it like a Dragon Age: Inquisition level of looking like an action game, but not actually being one, or does it feel more like, I dunno, Monster Hunter?

it's not like either of those really, tho I guess you could play dragon age in a similar fashion

your party works kinda like it would in kingdom hearts, where they're just ai controlled dudes that can help out and you have no direct control over them. your actions are somewhere between kingdom hearts and inquisition I guess? like you're actively controlling your character, but you aren't pressing a button for each attack. instead, you hold circle and it auto attacks. if you hold square, it auto dodges (tho dodging takes mp and there are benefits to timing your dodge instead of just holding the button down). you also have a thing where you can teleport to enemies and spots in the combat arenas using mp

the game rewards you for getting behind enemies and attacking them from their blindspot, and you can knock pieces off of monsters (so that's like monster hunter at least) but idk what they're used for yet. it feels a lot more actiony and involved than a crpg but it's not a platinum game or w/e

Boogalo posted:

Watching Kingsglaive seems like a good way to kill time while the game installs/patches. How long is it?

just under 2 hours iirc

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Snak posted:

It feels more actiony than DA:I but not as actiony as even something like Kingdom Hearts, although it isn't that far behind.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is the combat real-time? I think it was in the platinum demo but that was so awful that i cant remember most of it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's real time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is the combat real-time? I think it was in the platinum demo but that was so awful that i cant remember most of it

yeah but you can pause it to do menu stuff. you can also turn on a baby cheat mode that makes it pause whenever you aren't doing anything so you can think about stuff if you want.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feenix posted:

Jesus who dresses like this??! This girl....

You're gonna have to be a lot more specific there if it's a Squeenix character.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk if ya'll read the reviews but regarding FF15's open world-ness: it supposedly stops halfway through, you get something that lets you go back to it to finish stuff, but both reviews I read mentioned a jarring switch half-way through the game that makes it way more linear and "traditional" jrpg. I haven't read many firsthand accounts of this yet but the reviews go in depth on it if you want more info.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool I'll probably pick it up at some point then. All the MGSV comparisons have me interested. I remeber FFXIII being one of the first PS3 games i bought and being blown away by the graphics. Then i played it :negative:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk if ya'll read the reviews but regarding FF15's open world-ness: it supposedly stops halfway through, you get something that lets you go back to it to finish stuff, but both reviews I read mentioned a jarring switch half-way through the game that makes it way more linear and "traditional" jrpg

gotta be able to tell the epic story i guess

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I picked up a PS4 500GB and Uncharted 4 on black Friday, and on the PSN sale got Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator and King of Fighters 14. Also Overwatch because a irl friend has it on PS4, but he now has Final Fantasy so I wont see him again for a few weeks..

PSN: S1Nx81

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

exploded mummy posted:

Please don't steal the title for my Squeenix artbook

Best reply ever.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk if ya'll read the reviews but regarding FF15's open world-ness: it supposedly stops halfway through, you get something that lets you go back to it to finish stuff, but both reviews I read mentioned a jarring switch half-way through the game that makes it way more linear and "traditional" jrpg. I haven't read many firsthand accounts of this yet but the reviews go in depth on it if you want more info.

To be fair, this is pretty much most jrpgs. Maybe not quite halfway but there's always a point t of no return, after which you actually can return to clear up the side quests

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
I just want Square to release the only final fantasy that matters - FF12 HD. Give me a date square and Ill give you my money!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's good that FFXV is good, I'll have to grab it sometime next year after I finish all the games I got this year.

But my Visa has never worked on PSN. It refuses to accept it on the website, it keeps saying invalid card. Lucky i can get PSN cards from work.

Also, I found out that if you have an old $50 PS+ membership, PSN will accept the card as 12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There is an option to make it turn based if you don't like real time

• Locked thread