Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Tesla's initial reliability was iffy, but is that still the case? Anecdata, but none of the ~50 owners who responded to the post internal to FB indicated any issues beyond fit and finish tuning. (Window glass tapping frame when the door was opened quickly, and a little rattle in one door, in my case. They lightly botched the LTE/Ludicrous upgrade, but it was resolved quickly.)

Consumer reports has been talking poo poo about even the most recent vehicles. http://www.consumerreports.org/suvs/2016-tesla-model-x-review/

According to the polls on tesla motor club, the rear drive unit failures are becoming less common, there's still some hilarious other stuff that goes wrong. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-x-reset-techniques.69250/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My only problem with tesla is that everyone give credit to musk for innovation when it's some poor nerd in the engineering office who's actually come up with it. Also stay tuned to the model x rear doors reliability for some big time lols. A friend of a friend was fired over it being a long term impossibility haha.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Anecdote: Local Tesla owner's club had an article of a taxi driver who has put 260 000 km (162 000 miles) on his 2014 P85 Model S. Non-warranty maintenance bills ~15 k€ (Charger, power steering, rear subframe, three door handles). One drive-unit replacement which was covered by warranty. The Tesla would need to run flawlessly for next 3 years for the fuel savings to offset the repair bills compared to his previous Volvo. In practice the cars are replaced every three years at ~350 000 km.

Edit: Fuel is $6/gallon and electricity 10 c/kWh around here.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 29, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Motortrend gave the Bolt their car of the year award, so it at least drives well.

GM chassis engineers are drat good.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Motortrend gave the Bolt their car of the year award, so it at least drives well.

GM chassis engineers are drat good.

I always thought GM had the favor of the engine/transmission gods as evidenced by the sheer number of annihilated Cavaliers/Cobalts that somehow start every morning and the Great and Revered TH400, Eater of Torque, Shredder of Differentials.

As for the chassis gods, I thought they had completely abandoned GM, because, well, every 90's-late 00's car they've ever made. So count me surprised.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Sicilian posted:

I don't think this is the be all end all metric. Even if GM manages put the keys in a customers hands first, we have to look at the quality and overall production of the vehicle.

okay

winnner: GM on all counts (i.e. the manufacturer that has been building cars for over a hundred years and doesn't have problems like door handles falling off or gullfalcon-wing doors ramming into garage ceilings.)

you want a rematch?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ripoff posted:

As for the chassis gods, I thought they had completely abandoned GM, because, well, every 90's-late 00's car they've ever made. So count me surprised.

GM sent some acolytes to learn the ways of the Japanese but they got lost and landed in South Korea instead. Still an improvement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Model X is so dumb.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

okay

winnner: GM on all counts (i.e. the manufacturer that has been building cars for over a hundred years and doesn't have problems like door handles falling off or gullfalcon-wing doors ramming into garage ceilings.)

you want a rematch?

It took GM 90 years to figure it out, and Chrysler's 91 but still hasn't gotten there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

GM [...] doesn't have problems like door handles falling off

Bad example.

Door handles breaking are a common problem on GMT800 and GMT900 trucks/SUVs. You know, only their most popular and profitable models, which just use plain old door handles rather than any kind of automated motorized nonsense.

I think the pop-out handles and falcon doors are unnecessarily overcomplicated for sure and that has obvious impacts on their reliability, but come on. GM does do fancy handles from time to time too, as seen on the Corvette, and at least one person has died because of those failing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Those things appeal to the luxury market and those types of items will always have issues.

The Leaf's 2g connection is no longer connecting for me. Supposedly the upgraded 3g unit is coming out in a month or two, though I'm hesitant to get it since it's just a matter of time for the 3g to go the same route. I only ever use it in winter to preheat, which isn't hugely important with how fast the seat/steering heaters work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't preheating help battery too?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Leaf battery heats automatically when it is really cold. The alerts I get are typically when it's -15f or more... Alerts that I used to get.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
OPEC is cutting oil production. Prices are forecast to rise.

You guys may have picked a good time to get an EV (or a hybrid like mine).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Preheating in winter is mostly useful because it means you don't have to scrape ice, you just brush the slush off the windscreen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MrYenko posted:

"Hey cool, maybe I can loot at trading the Volt in on a Bolt lease!"

"What the gently caress, CA and OR only at release? What the actual gently caress, GM?"

I wonder if the Bolt will be available in Nevada by May when my current lease on a Mazda3 ends. It's in my number one slot, assuming living with an EV with at home charging on 110v only is doable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if the Bolt will be available in Nevada by May when my current lease on a Mazda3 ends. It's in my number one slot, assuming living with an EV with at home charging on 110v only is doable.

How long is your commute? I've heard 30-50 miles is a normal overnight charge on 110v. You can also see if there are any fast chargers around which happen to near a place you might do your weekend shopping etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ciaphas posted:

I lived for months with 110V on a power-hungrier car than the Bolt, with a short commute and weekend errands. I know a lot of people with Leafs who just have 110V, seems to work OK for them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My work commute's only ten miles one way, so in theory the numbers check out with room to spare. My only real concern was how much EVs suffer in terms of extra drain from extremely hot weather, and the A/C drain incurred on top of that; 110F+ is pretty normal at peak summer around here. (Last I looked I saw plenty on how cold really screws up LiIon, but didn't see much on high heat.)

The car thread in A/T suggested a Volt instead to eliminate the range anxiety problem, but if I'm gonna go electric I kinda wanna go whole hog and I haven't left this city since 2012 so 300+ range isn't a need :v:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

In a really sick and twisted way, I'm happy about this even though the average consumer will be screwed. I was so afraid that perpetually cheap gas would kill the idea of EVs in most Americans' minds, but with expensive gas people will be looking forward to abandoning the pump and saving the planet a bit.

That said, I'm driving a gas car now and I'm going to feel the pain in my dick as well, at least until I can find an apartment complex that has outdoor chargers or when I can rent a house. Then it's Bolt/Model III time. :getin:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bolt on 110v would be fine for those distances and give you extra range if you suddenly went a few days without charging. Heat will destroy the battery though and I'm not sure what GM is doing for that. I know the Leaf had to get a new kind of battery to handle it and Tesla is water cooled. Being in Nevada, I'm sure you can find a way to get a Bolt from either of the states offering them, unless they strictly won't sell to nonresident.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Bolt has active cooling and should handle the heat fine while driving or quick charging. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/deep-dive-2017-chevrolet-bolt-electric-powertrain/

I'm guessing it'll choke the charging power if the coolant can't keep up, this is as mentioned a weak spot in the Leaf. Active cooling and a/c will steal some range, but not much.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ripoff posted:

In a really sick and twisted way, I'm happy about this even though the average consumer will be screwed. I was so afraid that perpetually cheap gas would kill the idea of EVs in most Americans' minds, but with expensive gas people will be looking forward to abandoning the pump and saving the planet a bit.

That said, I'm driving a gas car now and I'm going to feel the pain in my dick as well, at least until I can find an apartment complex that has outdoor chargers or when I can rent a house. Then it's Bolt/Model III time. :getin:

It's more complicated than just the price at the gas pump. Remember too that with higher prices that means there could be more production in North America.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

It's more complicated than just the price at the gas pump. Remember too that with higher prices that means there could be more production in North America.

North Dakota and Alberta will be happy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Nevermind :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phuzun posted:

Bolt on 110v would be fine for those distances and give you extra range if you suddenly went a few days without charging. Heat will destroy the battery though and I'm not sure what GM is doing for that. I know the Leaf had to get a new kind of battery to handle it and Tesla is water cooled. Being in Nevada, I'm sure you can find a way to get a Bolt from either of the states offering them, unless they strictly won't sell to nonresident.

Ola posted:

The Bolt has active cooling and should handle the heat fine while driving or quick charging. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/deep-dive-2017-chevrolet-bolt-electric-powertrain/

I'm guessing it'll choke the charging power if the coolant can't keep up, this is as mentioned a weak spot in the Leaf. Active cooling and a/c will steal some range, but not much.

Thanks. The way I live looks like range won't be a problem, and the heat... well, at least it's an apartment with a garage so the poor thing will be charging in probably 95 degree heat rather than 110? v:shobon:v

Still got a few months to think about it. If I were going to buy I'd consider just flying to wherever in California and driving home (assuming there's a place I can charge on the route), but might get complicated on a lease? I dunno. Guess we'll see if it comes local before May.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Unless gas goes up to like $15 a gallon, the economic argument for electric cars still doesn't work. Get a 1.2L econobox that gets 45mpg on the highway and costs $12,000 brand new.

The Bolt and Model 3 are bringing us closer to that point, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

Unless gas goes up to like $15 a gallon, the economic argument for electric cars still doesn't work. Get a 1.2L econobox that gets 45mpg on the highway and costs $12,000 brand new.

The Bolt and Model 3 are bringing us closer to that point, though.
Some of us want ∞ MPG AND acceleration faster than a foot bicycle. gently caress ecoboxes, drive hard.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Don't care about the mileage or anything like that, I bought the volt because it's quiet, and doesn't rattle like my old Miata. Also the AC works.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Sicilian posted:

I don't think this is the be all end all metric. Even if GM manages put the keys in a customers hands first, we have to look at the quality and overall production of the vehicle.

Knowing GM they will rush this, and punish those who buy them with unreliability, difficult to use features, and terrible drivability.

More likely they'll just not bother trying to produce enough EVs to meaningfully affect demand for gasoline powered cars (Wouldn't want to abandon billions of dollars worth of infrastructure over some silly little thing like protecting the environment, would we?).

Bape Culture posted:

My only problem with tesla is that everyone give credit to musk for innovation when it's some poor nerd in the engineering office who's actually come up with it.

The innovation is in him actually working towards a goal of moving past fossil fuels when most major auto manufacturers have taken the attitude of "Here's your stupid hippie car, now quit whining". Not to mention recognizing that being a billionaire means you can afford to think long-term instead of agonizing over next quarter's profits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Some of us want ∞ MPG AND acceleration faster than a foot bicycle. gently caress ecoboxes, drive hard.

I do too, but not for $40k.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

That's one thing I don't like about the volt so far. I drive to/from work on the same charge, so it always says 250+ mpg, which is great but disingenuous. Tell me how many kWh per mile I'm using.

Second pet peeve, I switched the units to American, why does it tell me how many kilowatts of power my right foot is using instead of horsepower?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blugu64 posted:

Second pet peeve, I switched the units to American, why does it tell me how many kilowatts of power my right foot is using instead of horsepower?

Probably because the battery is measured and marketed in kWh.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

That's one thing I don't like about the volt so far. I drive to/from work on the same charge, so it always says 250+ mpg, which is great but disingenuous. Tell me how many kWh per mile I'm using.

Do you have a Gen II Volt? If you press the MPG button on the energy usage screen, it will toggle to a display that includes combined MPGe and electric miles and kWh usage.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Probably because the battery is measured and marketed in kWh.

Someone a ton smarter than me will correct me on this, but I'll give it a shot: Horsepower as car guys commonly know it is calculated as a derivative of torque. kW is the voltage and current the car is feeding the motor which is pretty trivial for the motor controller to calculate, but the motor's generated torque is something else. So it'd be weird to see the torque calculated HP while your motor is sucking down 750 amps at 300 volts as it would always look like you're not using a ton of power at low RPMs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ripoff posted:

Someone a ton smarter than me will correct me on this, but I'll give it a shot: Horsepower as car guys commonly know it is calculated as a derivative of torque. kW is the voltage and current the car is feeding the motor which is pretty trivial for the motor controller to calculate, but the motor's generated torque is something else. So it'd be weird to see the torque calculated HP while your motor is sucking down 750 amps at 300 volts as it would always look like you're not using a ton of power at low RPMs.

You can convert kW to HP by 1.34, which I thought is what they were asking for -- just mapping between unit systems.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Bought a Sonata plug in hybrid yesterday, here to report that after 1 day the car is still good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Godholio posted:

I do too, but not for $40k.
Thats why I drive a Mustang GT. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

You can convert kW to HP by 1.34, which I thought is what they were asking for -- just mapping between unit systems.

Yep, that's what I'd like. Not asking to measure the battery in horsepower hours or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What units does the US use for electricity in general, if not kW? I thought my bill was in kWh, but not I'm doubting myself.

• Locked thread