Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tigren posted:

Only one game on tomorrow. The second isn't until Wednesday. What's that poo poo all about?

Two extra days to verify the width of the penalty box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

shirts and skins posted:

Two extra days to verify the width of the penalty box.

That's the thing hickey players sit in right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
can i stream today's sounders game without an account with comcast/frontier? watchespn looks like it requires a cable account but i'm willing to subscribe for a month to watch today's game

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Legally? Doubt it.
Illegally? The world is your oyster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuckin real dumb, god drat

\/\/ oh poo poo will look into that

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

can i stream today's sounders game without an account with comcast/frontier? watchespn looks like it requires a cable account but i'm willing to subscribe for a month to watch today's game

You can get watchespn with a Sling subscription. And you may be able to get a trial.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Looks like Pasadena Pete is the new Galaxy GM in the place of Arena. You may remember him from this beautiful moment in Sounders history:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

foobardog posted:

Looks like Pasadena Pete is the new Galaxy GM in the place of Arena. You may remember him from this beautiful moment in Sounders history:

The greatest moment in Seattle sports history

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

The greatest moment in Seattle sports history

I dunno, the Doug Fister/Charlie Furbush trade was pretty outstanding.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm hearing that Matarrita is leaving NYC and going to Hamburg

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Is it worth discussing the demise of the Cosmos/NASL here? Or is there another more appropriate thread.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762847

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Is it worth discussing the demise of the Cosmos/NASL here? Or is there another more appropriate thread.

Hopefully this means the Cosmos join MLS and turn into NY3. poo poo, get a couple more NY teams and every borough can have their own.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Hopefully this means the Cosmos join MLS and turn into NY3. poo poo, get a couple more NY teams and every borough can have their own.

No joke that would be awesome if there was actual support.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

binge crotching posted:

Nah. Cosmos fans are more insufferable than all of Cascadia.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I'm actually wondering if we may see USL actually become MLS2. No, not with pro-rel, just an associated minor league.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

That's what they've been building to with the forced affiliations. I think MLSHQ is just waiting because they don't want to pay any money to take anything over. MLS1-4 would probably be the only way the pyramid can truly survive anyway. As long as we have competing leagues separate from each other, the more it just becomes a dumbass arms race. This way, the who pro/rel thing could come about faster than it would if we're all bickering about division status.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

That's what they've been building to with the forced affiliations. I think MLSHQ is just waiting because they don't want to pay any money to take anything over. MLS1-4 would probably be the only way the pyramid can truly survive anyway. As long as we have competing leagues separate from each other, the more it just becomes a dumbass arms race. This way, the who pro/rel thing could come about faster than it would if we're all bickering about division status.

If they do pro/rel, it would start at the lower leagues anyway. MLS2-4 or something would have pro/rel for a decade, and then if MLS2 ever gets popular enough they would add in MLS1.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I just don't ever see pro/rel to be acceptable to possible owners in the US. It'd be harder to lean on public financing for stadiums if there's a chance your team will be relegated next year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm starting to think the more ridiculous end of the U.S. Soccer debates have driven some long time MLS supporters nuts along with everyone else.

First I've gotten to see Kenn Tomasch spend the last two years turning into "Old Man Who Yells at Clouds All Day" and now I see that Dan Loney tweeted that it would be funny if Barack Obama used the lame-duck session of Congress to wipe Israel off the map with nukes.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 30, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

foobardog posted:

I just don't ever see pro/rel to be acceptable to possible owners in the US. It'd be harder to lean on public financing for stadiums if there's a chance your team will be relegated next year.

Soccer stadiums don't get public money because we don't have politicians in our pockets like baseball and football.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Soccer stadiums don't get public money because we don't have politicians in our pockets like baseball and football.
Also in the past people argued against them because HOOLIGANS and FOREIGNERS and ILLEGALS would invade our communities if you built a new soccer stadium.

Because NFL games are quaint family affairs you see

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Football is ok because it's American. :911: Them boys is just letting off some stream.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Football is ok because it's American. :911: Them boys is just letting off some stream.
Last NFL game I went to: Vikings score a TD, guy in a row behind me does the customary WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

...however he forgot that he had a mouth full of chewing tobacco and horked it all over the head of the woman in front of him, who just happened to have attended the game with a drunk and now extremely pissed off gentleman. Fun times ensued.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Fair point. I guess technically, Centurylink is a soccer stadium built with public money, but that'd be pedantic.

Either way, the main point is American owners want a toy that doesn't eat up all of their money as their team is forced to duke it out with Bayern Boise on ESPN 8 since Ricardo Salazar called a phantom penalty when they played Porto Miami last year.

Though, I guess since NASL was getting expansion offers, there would be an interest in small markets.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously though, Cosmos fans were pretty bad and we're the total embodiment of anti-MLS everything for being anti-MLS sake but they made lower level soccer interesting and added some nice local rivalry. It would benefit everyone if there was a profitable stable 2nd tier league in the US that wasn't just MLS farm teams. The Cosmos flew to close to the sun.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

foobardog posted:

I guess technically, Centurylink is a soccer stadium...

But seriously, how would pro/rel work for franchises with team 1 and team 2?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

porkface posted:

But seriously, how would pro/rel work for franchises with team 1 and team 2?

This is something that Europe already has to deal with though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Maybe we can get some MLS teams promoted to Liga MX. :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This might be a bit of stuff we know already, but Garber said during a stop in Cincinnati yesterday that the league was looking to add teams 24-28 ASAP. That probably means they hit 28 by 2020 then.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I hate Garber

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Maybe we can get some MLS teams promoted to Liga MX. :v:

The hope and dream of Chivas USA...

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

This might be a bit of stuff we know already, but Garber said during a stop in Cincinnati yesterday that the league was looking to add teams 24-28 ASAP. That probably means they hit 28 by 2020 then.

Jesus, slow your roll, Garber.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well there's one stupid rule down: (Some) Canadian nationals will no longer take up an international spot on US teams.

US nationals didn't take one up on Canadian teams, btw.

vvv Progress, kinda :shrug:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Well there's one stupid rule down: Canadian nationals will no longer take up an international spot on US teams.

US nationals didn't take one up on Canadian teams, btw.

*Only ones that were registered as Homegrown before age 16 or have their first contract signed with MLS or MLS-affiliated USL team*

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

*Only ones that were registered as Homegrown before age 16* and have their first contract signed with MLS or MLS-affiliated USL team*

*or spent enough time at a Canadian youth club that meets MLS/CSA Standards To Be Named Later

I actually think it is progress (and it was always only ever going to be a training-based rule given that anything else would run afoul of discrimination-by-national-origin laws, like the CFL's old quota did) but since I actually AM a lawyer I'm not quite as allergic to MLS's bizarre convoluted rules as most people.

Also, assuming the CPL ever becomes more than a hush-hush speculative twinkle in the eye of some Canadian soccer podcasters, the problem this is trying to solve will be a lot less of a thing.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 1, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Round-up of the end-of-season awards:

Most Valuable Player: TBA (finalists are Wright-Philips, Klejstan and Villa)
Defender of the Year: Matt Hedges (beat out Van Damme and Sjoberg)
Goalkeeper of the Year: Andre Blake (stats were nothing to write home about, but the other finalists were Howard [only half a season] and Robles [who sucks but no one will admit it], so :shrug:)
Coach of the Year : Oscar Pareja (SS and USOC wins with the youngest roster in the league)
Rookie of the Year: Jordan Morris (12 goals, 4 assists)
Newcomer of the Year: Nicolás Lodeiro (4 goals, 8 assists in just 1170 minutes)
Comeback Player of the Year: Chris Pontius (12 goals, 6 assists)
Golden Boot: Bradley Wright-Phillips (24 goals, 5 assists)
Fair Play Player Award: Keegan Rosenberry (no cards, only 13 fouls committed while playing every minute of the season)
Fair Play Team Award: Columbus Crew SC (fewest fouls committed by a healthy margin)
Humanitarian of the Year: Matt Lampson
Referee of the Year: Alan Kelly
Assistant Referee of the Year: Frank Anderson
Goal of the Year: Shkëlzen Gashi
Save of the Year: Joe Bendik

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jelle got robbed and that Save of the Year is loving weak as poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Assistant Referee of the Year: Frank Anderson
Didn't know we needed one of these tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Comeback Player of the Year is a pretty backhanded compliment too

• Locked thread