Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

mitztronic posted:

Due to Samsung's 5 billion dollar note 7 gently caress up, both Apple and Google are struggling to meet demand for large screen phones. Both the 7+ and the Pixel XL are going to have supply problems for a while at least. Personally, I'm hoping to switch to Fi sometime early in 2017 but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My understanding is that Google was already not planning to produce as many phones as they were planning to sell (have people wait rather than have too many phones? not really sure), so it's going to be particularly bad for Pixel availability

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered a Pixel (so I can switch to Fi) and I got a notification today to let me know it's going to arrive about 2 weeks earlier than the original date I was given. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

mitztronic posted:

My understanding is that Google was already not planning to produce as many phones as they were planning to sell (have people wait rather than have too many phones? not really sure), so it's going to be particularly bad for Pixel availability

You realize this makes absolutely no sense and would be a terrible business choice, right?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
"Make as many items as you can sell" is a pretty common business strategy.

"It's better to go a few short than a lot over" is another pretty common business strategy.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

FedEx Mercury posted:

You realize this makes absolutely no sense and would be a terrible business choice, right?

It's exactly what they did (go ahead and look into it), so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

And as photomikey, it works both ways. It wasn't a given that the pixel was going to be a mass success (and still TBD I suppose, since most people don't have them yet). Better to go a little short and ramp up if needed. People are still going to buy them.

poeticoddity posted:

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered a Pixel (so I can switch to Fi) and I got a notification today to let me know it's going to arrive about 2 weeks earlier than the original date I was given. :toot:

Another thing that businesses do more and more - Disneyland does a similar thing where they will tell you that a ride has a 45 minute wait when it's actually 30 minute. It makes people happy :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 10, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a bit off topic, but i used to take my car to a garage where they almost always came in $10-50 less than their estimate. i eventually caught on, but it still felt good to hear it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mitztronic posted:

It's exactly what they did (go ahead and look into it), so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

And as photomikey, it works both ways. It wasn't a given that the pixel was going to be a mass success (and still TBD I suppose, since most people don't have them yet). Better to go a little short and ramp up if needed. People are still going to buy them.

Another thing that businesses do more and more - Disneyland does a similar thing where they will tell you that a ride has a 45 minute wait when it's actually 30 minute. It makes people happy :)

Under promise and over deliver.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I usually overestimate just in case poo poo goes wrong

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Oh wow, despite the coverage map showing Omaha as having good 4G coverage, Google won't let me sign up. I can't imagine T-mobile will be creating a Nebraska presence anytime soon, so I don't think that will change.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rhombus posted:

Oh wow, despite the coverage map showing Omaha as having good 4G coverage, Google won't let me sign up. I can't imagine T-mobile will be creating a Nebraska presence anytime soon, so I don't think that will change.

A shame too, we have great us cellular here.

Google let Omaha sign up :argh:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

rhombus posted:

Unfortunately the fact that T-Mobile isn't likely to come to Nebraska is probably why Fi isn't either. I recall seeing something about markets with only one or the other (back when it was just Sprint and T-Mo) not getting Fi, I assume because it would mean getting exclusive service for far less than it would normally cost. And the assumption is that the participating carriers require the switching to agree to be in Fi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone had the Google Fi website tell them they can't port their number over but talked to whoever(current provider, Google Fi, etc...) and managed to get it switched? I'm waiting on an email from their support team, but right now they're saying my number is non-transferable to T-Mobile. That's a bit weird isn't it, cause they also use Sprint's service and I have Sprint right now? I know that doesn't mean much(or anything...) but I was hoping to keep my old digits..

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Johnny Truant posted:

Has anyone had the Google Fi website tell them they can't port their number over but talked to whoever(current provider, Google Fi, etc...) and managed to get it switched? I'm waiting on an email from their support team, but right now they're saying my number is non-transferable to T-Mobile. That's a bit weird isn't it, cause they also use Sprint's service and I have Sprint right now? I know that doesn't mean much(or anything...) but I was hoping to keep my old digits..

It's federal law that they have to let you switch it (e: see below though). Sounds like an error.

FCC website about it: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/porting-keeping-your-phone-number-when-you-change-providers

quote:

Porting is not always possible

If you are moving to a new geographic area, you may not be able to keep your current phone number when changing providers.

Also, some rural wireline service providers may obtain waivers for the porting requirement from state authorities. Their customers may be unable to port their number to a new provider. If you are unable to port your number for that reason, contact your state public utilities commission for further information.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mitztronic posted:

It's federal law that they have to let you switch it (e: see below though). Sounds like an error.

FCC website about it: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/porting-keeping-your-phone-number-when-you-change-providers

Interesting. Guess this means I need to call Sprint, also going to call Google Fi probably tomorrow night to try to figure it out. The Google Fi tech support person said to try porting it to Google Voice which I tried, but it gave me a message about my area not being in a portable region or something to that effect. It's weird cause I'm in Chicago right now which is definitely covered, but I'm guessing because my number is from a more rural area they don't want to port it? I dunno, hopefully I can figure it out soon, I really wanna play with my new phone(and also cut my phone bill in half...)!

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That's really strange. I wonder if they have you down as a landline or something?

FWIW, I just transfered my number to Fi from Sprint not even 24 hours ago. It's been my number since I first moved to Boston, going on 15 years now, and I've been able to transfer it from AT&T to Sprint when I moved out west and now Sprint to Fi living in NYC. Good luck!

Slightly on topic, any apps you guys recommend using with Fi other than Signal Spy? Managing background data on Nougat seems fairly robust on its own, but I'd love to hear about any other utilities you guys have been using.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

That's really strange. I wonder if they have you down as a landline or something?

FWIW, I just transfered my number to Fi from Sprint not even 24 hours ago. It's been my number since I first moved to Boston, going on 15 years now, and I've been able to transfer it from AT&T to Sprint when I moved out west and now Sprint to Fi living in NYC. Good luck!

Definitely not a landline, but thanks for your input. May I ask where your original phone number came from? Was it from Boston?

I'm getting the feeling that because my number is originally from a rural area they don't want to port it? :shrug: I'm gonna call Google Fi tonight in between work and class and hopefully figure out what's good.

In the meantime, is there a topic here that is like a "must have" of apps for Google Phones? I haven't looked in any other IYG topic, so my apologies if I'm asking a dumb question!

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
It's a "Boston" number, but the exchanges in that city are a disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some dude out in central Mass with the same area code. Hopefully they can get you squared away.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm getting the feeling that because my number is originally from a rural area they don't want to port it? :shrug: I'm gonna call Google Fi tonight in between work and class and hopefully figure out what's good.

I ported a rural Sprint number to Google Voice about 3-4 years ago, with no problems. Unless they have actually said this is the reason, you might be barking up the wrong tree here. And I would guess that a phone provider can't (legally) refuse to port a number just because they "don't want to", or because of the population density of the number's geographic area. I know that FCC article says sometimes it's a problem when you move to a new geographic area, but I have a number of friends who moved here to MN and still have their mobile numbers from TX, CO, NY, NJ, etc.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just got my pixel today and activated on Fi porting from Sprint. Everything went super fine. Question for everyone else that went through the same process: do I still need to call Sprint and cancel service? Logging into the sprint site seems to show I no longer have a device or service, which would be correct.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

couldcareless posted:

I just got my pixel today and activated on Fi porting from Sprint. Everything went super fine. Question for everyone else that went through the same process: do I still need to call Sprint and cancel service? Logging into the sprint site seems to show I no longer have a device or service, which would be correct.

Usually after you port the previous provider terminates your account automatically.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Usually after you port the previous provider terminates your account automatically.
Which works out about a thousand times better than retentions trying to use every false-logic in the book to get you to not leave.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I ported a rural Sprint number to Google Voice about 3-4 years ago, with no problems. Unless they have actually said this is the reason, you might be barking up the wrong tree here. And I would guess that a phone provider can't (legally) refuse to port a number just because they "don't want to", or because of the population density of the number's geographic area. I know that FCC article says sometimes it's a problem when you move to a new geographic area, but I have a number of friends who moved here to MN and still have their mobile numbers from TX, CO, NY, NJ, etc.

Yeah that's just conjecture on my part. I spoke with a Google Fi dude over the phone last night and he told me that he's actually unsure why his system won't let me port my number over. I'm going to call Sprint today to see what's up, which sucks because...

photomikey posted:

retentions trying to use every false-logic in the book to get you to not leave.

...this, but I've had enough experience with Sprint and ComCast to know how to cut through their bullshit quickly. The Google Fi dude told me I should order a SIMcard with a new number right now, and once I figure the Sprint stuff out to give them a call back. Worst case scenario I get a new number and waste some time talking to Sprint, best case I keep my number. Pretty sweet deal, still a mad upgrad eon my phone and cutting my bill in half soooooo!

Anyway slightly related question, but can I dick around on my Nexus 6P without a SIMcard, just using wifi? I'm getting antsy to start playing with it...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Most phones will work just fine with wifi only, essentially turning into an Android version of the iPod touch. Not sure about getting through the initial setup, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My 5x worked fine on wifi and my t-mobile sim for a couple weeks before I activated service.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I nearly stopped using Republic Wireless as soon as I started when they refused to port my Delaware number to Washington state because they said it was "not possible." I complained to the FCC and the FCC said "yeah sometimes it is not possible." Awesome. Hence why I was ecstatic to get off the service as soon as possible so I could just have my Google Voice number I had started using as a forwarding number as my actual number anyway. I have no idea why there is a law about porting numbers when it is not actually possible in so many circumstances.

Oh uh

Also

I doubt this is a Project Fi or even a Nexus question but, like, a bunch of files with dates in 2033 are showing up in my "recent" folder when I go to attach things to e-mail on my phone, and searches of both my phone file system and Google Drive have turned up precisely none of these files (with names that suggest they are from some fantasy-themed game, no less). Even Googling the files produces no results, so I do not think anything fishy is going on per se, I just think files from the future are haunting me and I want to know where they are. Why there is no way to open the file in "recent" from its original location is beyond me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to get voicemail to transcribe languages besides English? I got a hilarious transcription when my father left a message in Polish, but if rather be accurate than funny.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
My the SIM card for my Pixel arrived over the weekend and while it took a lot longer than it should have to port my number over from Verizon (more on that in a moment) I've made the switch to Project Fi.
Fun fact: If you enter the account holder's name incorrectly (say, you enter it with non-letter characters that Verizon strips out) or you enter the wrong PIN (say, if it was changed to a letter based password for some reason) and you're trying to switch from Verizon, it's supposed to take a minimum of 6 hours for Google's system to let you try again.
This is really weird after an uninterrupted >11 years of using flip phones with a voice only line.

Also, I just bought Fi Switch because I randomly go from no signal to moderate to good signal at work and I think that's because it switches back and forth between T-Mobile and Sprint, respectively. That should fix the issue or allow me to manually fix the issue assuming I diagnosed the signal problem correctly, right?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You can use dialer codes to force it onto a specific network with or without fi switch/signal spy/etc. Supposedly if you let it alone for a while it will "learn" which one is best there and stop jumping around.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Javid posted:

You can use dialer codes to force it onto a specific network with or without fi switch/signal spy/etc. Supposedly if you let it alone for a while it will "learn" which one is best there and stop jumping around.

In the year I've had Fi, it's learned nothing.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sprint is terrible at my house, T-Moble is perfect. It chooses Sprint (or worse, WiFi) 30%+ of the time. The learning process must be slow.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I had some weird issues sometimes when going to areas that don't have T-Mobile coverage, but there is coverage available with regional carriers who have roaming agreements with T-Mobile (I wireless in Iowa, Bug Tussel in Wisconsin). Data wouldn't connect until I toggled airplane mode on and off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone port their Google Voice number over to Fi? I'm looking at buying a Pixel - I never use more than 2 gb per month, switching to Fi would save me $200 a year over two years even paying full price of the phone, vs upgrading my T-Mobile to the unlimited plan so I can get a $325 discount over two years after buying a Pixel at full price. I've been pretty happy with T-Mobile coverage, I don't see why Fi would be any worse.

edit - I just signed up, it ports it in the signup process.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 27, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone port their Google Voice number over to Fi? I'm looking at buying a Pixel - I never use more than 2 gb per month, switching to Fi would save me $200 a year over two years even paying full price of the phone, vs upgrading my T-Mobile to the unlimited plan so I can get a $325 discount over two years after buying a Pixel at full price. I've been pretty happy with T-Mobile coverage, I don't see why Fi would be any worse.

I did before I returned it. It ported over easily. The limited phone calls I made were perfectly fine and I couldn't tell I wasn't on Verizon, my normal carrier. I do live in a major metropolitan area though so YMMV.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I pretty much decided to switch to Fi the moment I found out about it earlier this year entirely because I was so excited to finally stop using my Google Voice number as a forwarding service and just go ALL-IN. And indeed I have never regretted it once.

Well other than occasionally wishing I worked at an office that allowed wireless connectivity so I was not guaranteed to use at least a couple gigs a month just Doin' Thangs.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Just as I was thinking Fi was solid and paying for another month at t-mobile as backup had been a waste, they cancel my account on Thanksgiving and it won't reactivate and no two techs can come up with the same explanation as to why.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Javid posted:

Just as I was thinking Fi was solid and paying for another month at t-mobile as backup had been a waste, they cancel my account on Thanksgiving and it won't reactivate and no two techs can come up with the same explanation as to why.

uhh what?????????? whoa

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are SMS messages on Project Fi true SMS, or since its all through Hangouts, do they get transferred over data like the "sms" through Google Voice? Just wondering because I can't do SMS over bluetooth with my car.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's real SMS, you can use any SMS app. I like Messenger.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
You can choose. Hangouts is the pro option, but yes, it does use data.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You can't send texts from your phone without a data connection of some kind, whether a mobile data (3G/LTE/etc.) or wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Uncle Ivan posted:

You can choose. Hangouts is the pro option, but yes, it does use data.

complete disagree on this one. hangouts was still a trash garbage fire when i last tried to use it a few months ago