Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Elsie is dead because she discovered that Bernard is a host.

yea this is what i was thinking. she was looking at the old system that ford uses to track his personsl hosts and saw bernard. Bernard wouldn't have seen himself on there because of his programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was certain that Elsie was dead before this episode, but I don't think that Stubbs scene makes sense as Ford's work. I think they would've shown Stubbs die if the warriors killed him and I don't think Ford would capture him.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lycus posted:

I was certain that Elsie was dead before this episode, but I don't think that Stubbs scene makes sense as Ford's work. I think they would've shown Stubbs die if the warriors killed him and I don't think Ford would capture him.

but i also think this, so who knows

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Elsie is alive in the only time line, proven; easily: in 5 days time.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Elsie got Stannissed....she's dead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Elsie is alive because I really want to see the scene where she and Elsie-bot fight each other in a mirror image karate battle and both knock each other out simultaneously a la Futurama.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I think Elsie is alive.

Don't know how it came to be, but I bet there is some timeline trickery involved. At one point there was a discussion where Elsie is talking about rotation plans - in a couple of weeks - but then the plans seemingly get accelerated without raising suspicion. Rotating for leave is a big deal, so to leave without coverage would be weird - especially if her supervisor (Bernard) appears unaware of it.

But mainly I like the character and I want her to be alive - as long as the explanation makes sense in context. I like to think she got recruited to the cause by Bernard and in turn recruited Stubbs when they found out he was on to the Cullen deception.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thread, freeze all posting functions

Thread, resume unretarded

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Thread, freeze all posting functions

Thread, resume unretarded

**does nothing**

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Elsie survived because she found out Arnold was host and had him 'freeze all motor functions'

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ArmZ posted:

yea this is what i was thinking. she was looking at the old system that ford uses to track his personsl hosts and saw bernard. Bernard wouldn't have seen himself on there because of his programming.
This is speculation though. The only things we know for sure Elsie discovered is that Theresa was using the system to smuggle data, and that Arnold was using it to reprogram older hosts. She didn't mention Ford at all.

Given that Theresa had no clue Bernard was a host, and that Elsie didn't hesitate to phone him with her findings (and not say anyone else to tell them her boss was a robot), it doesn't really point to Bernard's secret being kept on there IMO.

e:brevity

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 29, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Maybe Ford is printing the MiB. He's there to try and awaken the hosts which Ford doesn't want. He represents the board which Ford doesn't like. He has learned about the maze and about how to overload the hosts circuits. Ford has decided to deal with the MiB by recreating Escalante and is using the bicameral mind to control Dolores and to move Wyatt's gang into place to go wild and stage an uprising. The MiB is cast as the villain they are attacking because of his atrocities in the past. He is replaced by Ford and forced to forever be a part of the new narrative.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder how cheap or expensive that kind of thing is these days. They've been doing it forever, so it must flow more smoothly in post-production.

I'm not sure how this show specifically approached it, but this type of effect isn't just a post-production solution. They likely had to plan pretty extensively for it while shooting, staging exactly how the body double and the camera move over the course of the shot so they can meaningfully track how the geometry of his face should change.

I've seen how other movies and TV shows have handled this sort of thing, and they basically have to motion-capture and track the stand-in's face and create a CG mesh of the replacement face that corresponds to those track points. There's a degree of actual modeling that needs to happen so the composited face doesn't look like a flat, creepy mask. Something like Ford walking around a corner is insanely difficult just because of the demands of simulating depth and volume across a perspective change.

It's definitely cheaper than it would've been in the past due to faster computer vision tools for tracking and what-not, but how good or bad it looks is more likely a condition of how well they staged the shots they're compositing and how much time the effects team has to finesse it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

my summer at fat camp posted:

I'm gonna :toxx: that Wyatt is the bearded man invented by Ford for Teddy and not loving Delores or Maeve you goony fucks

my summer at fat camp posted:

So Teddy's memory of Wyatt is definitely based on Dolores shooting up Escalante and executing Arnold.

:v: reading this thread can be pretty funny

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

FogHelmut posted:

Why do they go out of the way to make CGI young Ford, but then if William is MIB they look and sound and act nothing alike?

Because then it would be TOO obvious.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think Elsie is still alive, and here's what I think is going to happen:

Elsie will ultimately play a key role in stopping Ford's insane plans and ultimately getting him arrested and sent to a super-max prison. Next season, she'll reluctantly have to visit him to use his information and guidance to capture a rogue host who is killing guests and using their skin to make a cowboy hat.

Teddy becomes a reporter and later gets lit on fire.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I'd have to go back to the episode, but when Elsie is in the abandoned theater at the end, doesn't she yell out "Arnold?" before getting grabbed? Because in Bernard's memory of it, she says his name and not Arnold's.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been reading the AV Club reviews for Westworld and it reminds me really strongly of the criticism in this thread: most of the review inches seem to be focused on what the reviewer fears the show might become, having obviously been burned by investment in previous "puzzle box" shows. There are episode reviews where he barely mentions the episode at all, instead preferring to talk about the implications of the episode on future possible future "twists" and whether the show will "pay off."

It reminded me of the criticism people have expressed in the thread here that seemed to be more about their future expectations than what they were watching on the screen.

Once he started thinking of the show as a puzzle box, all his comments on the thematic content of the show dropped off. He had been making observations like "Thesis statement!" at Angela's "If you can't tell, does it matter?" line and just dropped all of that when he decided reveals and twists were important. That also reminded me of some attitudes in the thread.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 29, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately some of the AV Club's better reviewers have left for various reasons and it is a simple shame.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to laugh my rear end off if Maeve hijacks the entire cold storage room for her army. I'm starting to think that's her plan.

ashpanash posted:

I think Elsie is still alive, and here's what I think is going to happen:

That would be my guess too, though I am not entirely convinced. I'm sure it's going somewhere though.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It reminded me of the criticism people have expressed in the thread here that seemed to be more about their future expectations than what they were watching on the screen.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my concerns have always been about the emphasis on storytelling twists that feel inorganic because the character motivations are not well established or the characters themselves feel poorly drawn and incomplete.

I should note that I actually always liked the two timeline aspect - I was an immediate fan of it when I was exposed to the theory. I think it's a really clever idea and while not a stunningly new idea, it's a good idea and its potential for storytelling is exciting. The problem, recently, has been that the two timelines have not been illuminating at all, it's felt more as if the plot is being stretched thin and reveals are being held back while we wait for other things to happen. Things like Maeve's journey, which started out on a fantastic tear but quickly became overwrought and, in this episode, downright silly.

When it comes to storytelling, I believe it's about characters foremost, and the characters should drive the plot rather than the plot driving the characters. I understand there are other views, that's mine.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
the problem is that once this season is over and all the timeline trickery and gimmicky editing to amplify "twists" is over, will the story still be interesting.

For example, try watching Memento in chronological order. Its not very good.

Plots shouldnt have to rely on deception on the part of the producers and while it is interesting now, where will they go from here? Will every season have deceptive timelines to make mysteries interesting?

I'm looking forward to finding out, but I really don't think it will maintain its momentum for the long haul.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

TommyGun85 posted:

the problem is that once this season is over and all the timeline trickery and gimmicky editing to amplify "twists" is over, will the story still be interesting.

I mean I had no idea about the two-timeline theory until catching up with the show last week with episode 7, so yes it's a pretty good show even if there isn't any hidden puzzles going on (or ones you know about).

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I think the show uses editing "tricks" or nonlinear presentation in order to serve the story. I'm not at all concerned that this season won't hold up in the future--the style reinforces the hosts' confusion and helplessness when it comes to their sudden, terrifying memory recall. To me it's a very elegant way of doing this even if it's not immediately evident to a viewer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Old James posted:

Because then it would be TOO obvious.

I need internal consistency above all else.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ashpanash posted:

When it comes to storytelling, I believe it's about characters foremost, and the characters should drive the plot rather than the plot driving the characters. I understand there are other views, that's mine.

I don't see how Westworld violates any of this. The characters are experiencing their lives in a disjointed way, with critical details hidden from them and then discovered in shocking moments. The plot and its "twists" are organic to the characters. I'm having trouble seeing how you would shoot and edit Dolores' story, for example, with a completely straightforward narrative.

I've already written some paragraphs about how Dolores, Teddy, and Bernard comment on the human condition. Ditto for Maeve and Hector, who explicitly have and discuss religious experiences.

The main characters aren't human, and yet by placing them at a remove from ourselves, we see the human condition more clearly. This is like philosophy of literature 130.

TommyGun85 posted:

For example, try watching Memento in chronological order. Its not very good.

Plots shouldnt have to rely on deception on the part of the producers and while it is interesting now, where will they go from here? Will every season have deceptive timelines to make mysteries interesting?

I'm looking forward to finding out, but I really don't think it will maintain its momentum for the long haul.

You see what I mean about people talking about their future expectations more than the content of the show that's in front of them? It's like you sit down and watch an hour of television, stand up and go "I wonder if that will be good?"

So to circle back around to my earlier comment about missing the point if you think Charlie doesn't have any narrative weight: I'm not saying that you aren't understanding the narrative, I'm saying you're looking in the wrong direction. Ford even explicitly says "Pain is in the mind, for humans as well as hosts." Charlie being real or fake doesn't matter in the slightest, as far as I can see. The only character we're with is Bernard, and he's literally built to carry the pain of Charlie's death as the central fact of his life. Knowing that Charlie isn't real is about as relevant to his pain as knowing Charlie died in a different country. Ford goes out of his way to observe that Bernard's self-concept is as valid as anyone's.

So where did the pathos go? What about Charlie's death makes it less compelling?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

You see what I mean about people talking about their future expectations more than the content of the show that's in front of them? It's like you sit down and watch an hour of television, stand up and go "I wonder if that will be good?"

I was directly responding to you and the review. I didnt say I dont enjoy the show or watching it, I said people may be turned off because the style of storytelling with the editing and timelines cant hold up in future seasons so it will be interesting to see if people who are drawn to it for those reasons will stick around once the mystique has worn off.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Can't wait to watch "Chronologically Westworld"

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

I am going to laugh my rear end off if Maeve hijacks the entire cold storage room for her army. I'm starting to think that's her plan.

The Architect Ford: You are here because Zion WestWorld is about to be destroyed. Its every living inhabitant host terminated, its entire existence eradicated.
Neo Maeve: Bullshit.
[the iPad IprovTree app reveals the same response]
The Architect Ford: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses host improvisation routines . But, rest assured, this will be the sixth Nth time we I have destroyed it, and we I have become exceedingly efficient at it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't see how Westworld violates any of this. The characters are experiencing their lives in a disjointed way, with critical details hidden from them and then discovered in shocking moments. The plot and its "twists" are organic to the characters. I'm having trouble seeing how you would shoot and edit Dolores' story, for example, with a completely straightforward narrative.

It doesn't have to be straightforward to her; it still could be more straightforward and forthcoming with us. As it is, holding back critical information that we could use to understand the character and her past can be a useful storytelling device when used on a single character. When used for all of the characters throughout the narrative, it starts to take its toll.

We talked about Lost earlier. Lost definitely pieced out its reveals about its characters, but it did reveal them, step by step, episode by episode. In contrast Westworld seems to be content to constantly hold back and for at least half the season, nearly every character remained almost entirely mysterious. We still don't know what Ford is after, what the MiB is after, what Dolores's function is, what Teddy has to do with any of this, what happens to William that turns him into the MiB, what the board wants... I could go on. Each character is presented to us in tiny, bite-sized pieces and then the show moves on. The pieces have been largely compelling and well acted, but as they start to add together, as we build the characters, they feel very stitched together and not cohesive.

The seams are showing, the seams where the characters had to do the service of the plot. Sometimes this worked, but many times it made characters we thought we understood either do very stupid things, or very out of character things, in order to move the plot forward. Maeve is the perfect example of this, where her voyage of discovery was quite quickly undercut by the need to give her superpowers in order to advance her piece on the chessboard, in service of the plot, but not of legitimate and organic character growth. Hiding it all up with :iiam: only works if you're at least willing to meet the viewer halfway. It feels like the writers are much more content to keep their cards close to their chest in the hopes that shocking reveals will substitute for genuine character growth. Maybe for some viewers; not for me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

Elsie is alive because I really want to see the scene where she and Elsie-bot fight each other in a mirror image karate battle and both knock each other out simultaneously a la Futurama.

And then they kiss

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stannis is dead. elsie is dead. trump is gonna be president.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

A wonderful big penis army

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ashpanash posted:

It doesn't have to be straightforward to her; it still could be more straightforward and forthcoming with us. As it is, holding back critical information that we could use to understand the character and her past can be a useful storytelling device when used on a single character. When used for all of the characters throughout the narrative, it starts to take its toll.

We talked about Lost earlier. Lost definitely pieced out its reveals about its characters, but it did reveal them, step by step, episode by episode. In contrast Westworld seems to be content to constantly hold back and for at least half the season, nearly every character remained almost entirely mysterious. We still don't know what Ford is after, what the MiB is after, what Dolores's function is, what Teddy has to do with any of this, what happens to William that turns him into the MiB, what the board wants... I could go on. Each character is presented to us in tiny, bite-sized pieces and then the show moves on. The pieces have been largely compelling and well acted, but as they start to add together, as we build the characters, they feel very stitched together and not cohesive.

The seams are showing, the seams where the characters had to do the service of the plot. Sometimes this worked, but many times it made characters we thought we understood either do very stupid things, or very out of character things, in order to move the plot forward. Maeve is the perfect example of this, where her voyage of discovery was quite quickly undercut by the need to give her superpowers in order to advance her piece on the chessboard, in service of the plot, but not of legitimate and organic character growth. Hiding it all up with :iiam: only works if you're at least willing to meet the viewer halfway. It feels like the writers are much more content to keep their cards close to their chest in the hopes that shocking reveals will substitute for genuine character growth. Maybe for some viewers; not for me.

Lol Lost didn't give many details on a lot of characters the first season and by the time they did that generally meant they were gonna die or the writers would just forget about them for awhile. We're 9 episodes in to a so far awesome show and each episode we learn more details about major characters. Not sure what you expect out of this show.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

A wonderful big penis army

They are not programmed to use weapons, so she had to find an army that carries their own weapons

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Lol Lost didn't give many details on a lot of characters the first season and by the time they did that generally meant they were gonna die or the writers would just forget about them for awhile. We're 9 episodes in to a so far awesome show and each episode we learn more details about major characters. Not sure what you expect out of this show.

?? We got Locke's wheelchair in episode 4. Episode 4.

So far, in 9 episodes, the only major character we actually have a good handle on is Bernard.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ashpanash posted:

?? We got Locke's wheelchair in episode 4. Episode 4.

So far, in 9 episodes, the only major character we actually have a good handle on is Bernard.

Ah yes, character development = finding out he was paralyzed before. That's not development, that's opening up questions of "why is he able to walk on this island" which goes along with the millions of other questions Lost begs you to ask but refuses to sufficiently answer.

If that's what you want out of character development and story, thank god Westworld isn't following in the footsteps so far.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The greatest character study of this show are the people in this thread. :allears:

MattLochNessMonster
Jul 1, 2009
I'm still not getting how Bernard was able to kill Elsie and be in Theresa's office at the same time. The incoherent storytelling started off interesting, but now when you see the flaws people start insisting "It's not a bug, it's a feature"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Blazing Ownager posted:

When. Not if. You don't put a cavernous derelict train station full of naked androids on the wall in Season 1 unless you're gonna militarise it in Season 2.

• Locked thread