Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is the Angrand campaign actually winnable on higher difficulties? gently caress is it annoying.

Unite the Vaults, build walls, kill Skarsnik (raze his province if Karak Norm is still alive), run to Karak Eight-Peaks, sack hostile factions on the way, grab Valaya's Sorrow as a staging ground, reinforce your stack with regiments of renown, go into deficit, welcome home, great king.

Ghost dads are really strong and Belegar is no slouch as a lord either. Your only challenge is the economic aspect, you only want a full stack to kill Skarsnik if he's doing well and later to conquer Karak Eight-Peaks - where you may add a second stack if you feel it is necessary and have the warchest for it. Don't be afraid to go into negative income for those moments. If the Border Princes and Tilea attack the Vaults it is better to sack and keep moving than fight a long war against them to defend your starting territory, but ideally you want both as trading partners. You have to be fast or the grudge meter will really mess you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is the Angrand campaign actually winnable on higher difficulties? gently caress is it annoying.

Yes, it's very annoying but winnable. Since the economic penalty is so severe you can only feasibly have a single army. Ghost dads and co. are good for two reasons: they're really strong in their own regard, and they take up a spot that would otherwise be taken up by a regiment of expensive troops.

My strategy was to just 1) build walls, 2) build econ buildings (and trade relations), 3) abandon the starting area for a suicide run at Karak Eight Peaks, and kill Skarsnik later. When you can, just get a good-enough army with cannons and head to Karak Eight Peaks-- but be sure to grab a fortified settlement like Black Crag before running at Karak Eight Peaks just in case. Honestly if Baelgar is high enough it wouldn't be a bad idea to just sneak on in, buy all the RoRs, and auto resolve the Karak Eight Peaks battle. Use an agent to gently caress with the gates/garrison/lord to tip the autoresolve in your favor.

The only time I did it on legendary, I just did everything very, very slowly and took Eight Peaks like 80 turns in. Since upkeep is 50% higher, you can still kind of afford troops so long as you can capture, occupy, and build up walls. Baelgar was the conqueror and I used a throw-away lord to run around bolstering garrisons with cheap-o units. I would regularly disband units immediately after winning battles to get some extra bucks that I could throw into building garrison/walls, etc. Not recommended playing legendary as Angrund, just because it's so annoying.

In any event, Angrund is fun-ish, in that you get pissed off and start feeling grudge-y towards the AI and smashing the poo poo out of them feels better when you become The God King Baelgar. Playing as Dwarfs is also just a better experience all around, though.

e: Everyone should know the best way to win any siege attack. Use artillery to destroy a tower, put a lord and/or heroes on a wall, and bring 12+ stacks of archers to kill all the AI troops that mob your single lord. You'll either drain the garrison's numbers and morale enough that your other troops can sweep through the city, or you can "lose" the battle and do it again. Since dwarf archers are good at melee, dwarfs are particularly good at this because once your archers have drained more than half the garrison, they can sit around and get their vigor back then mob the enemy. Bonus points if you bring a runelord who can infinitely kill troops forever from a distance.

jokes fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 29, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I did a short win on VH, but had to load an earlier save at least 15 times because something always went catastrophically wrong.

Highlights:
- Didn't kill off/contain Skarsnik before he got a Waaagh, which was ridiculously high tier (arachnarok, giants, trolls etc.). No chance against it plus his stack, that came right for me
- While I was occupied elsewhere Tilea declared war on me and razed all of my starting provice -> bankrupt
- Same but Estalia
- Military alliance with one of the nearby dwarf factions, which lead to a war with Empire, which didn't go well
- Took the Black Venom settlement, which was a bad idea. Constant rebellions, and no forces/money to deal with them
- Decided to abandon the starting province to its fate, went for Karak Eight Peaks... which was guarded by two full stacks (that refused to move) and a strong garrison

In the attempt that finally worked I lost my starting province but managed to get a stronghold in and around Black Crag, and later K8P. After that the rest was relatively easy, except clearing the massive list of grudges I had accumulated.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had full stacks of mutinous gits migrating over at like turn 20 to take stuff as I was trying to build an economic base and fight off bullshit attacks from Tilea.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Walls and garrisons and lightning strikes my man. If you lightning strike a boss and kill him, they lose their mutinous gits/waagh. Losing a settlement or getting sacked is fine, so long as you keep your main base.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mutinous gits are very weird. Most games they sit there with full stacks twiddling their choppas and then sometimes they stampede across the map to the vaults. One time I saw them make peace with Crooked Moon which was disgusting

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RentACop posted:

Mutinous gits are very weird. Most games they sit there with full stacks twiddling their choppas and then sometimes they stampede across the map to the vaults. One time I saw them make peace with Crooked Moon which was disgusting

Wait, the AI can make peace with them while you can't?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I did the Angrun campaign on Hard recently where I never united the Vaults province, had only Karak Izor until I went off to grab Karak Eight Peaks around turn 60-70ish. The reason I never united the Vaults was really just due to me kind of loving up early and Karak Hirn, my allies ending up grabbing the rest of the province as I brought them into the war against the Greenskin tribe who controls it at the start. Ended up being pretty fun thouhg, you can defeat huge goblin armies defending Karak Izor, particularly after upgrading it a level or two, thunderers are really good to kill stuff like giants and arachnaorks, particularly when protected by walls and buffed by a master engineer. In general Belegar's ghost dads act like a huge force multiplier for you because they cause terror which will really gently caress up Greenskin armies with their brittle morale and can allow you to overcome huge armies that would otherwise overwhelm you. Using rangers to flank and attack engaged units from behind with their crossbows or throwing axes is also a necessary strategy for Clan Angrund, you are aided in this respect by them having Stalk and being faster than other Dwards, though it may be difficult to pull off against really large armies.

In the end I took Karak Eight Peaks with an army that consisted of Belegar, the 4 ghost dads, 4 Dwarf warriors, the ROR Dwarf Warriors, ROR Hammerers and Longbeards and the ROR Grudge Thrower (I think that one causes fear which also works together with the ghost dads to make superior Greenskin armies turn tail and run) and 4 ranger units.

Overall I think it's a pretty fun campaign, but it is one where you have to show patience and caution, always try to recognize a battle you probably can't win or one where a win will be too costly, meaning you should probably hold up in Karak Izor instead and dare them to assault you (I recommend the +siege holdout time ability for both Belegar and the ghost dads for this, as combined it will make it almost impossible for the enemy to starve you out and in a defensive siege with the garrison army the odds are pretty much in your favor no matter how many Greenskins are up against you).

e: Holing up in Karak Izor, biding your time and not expanding until you are ready to march on Karak Eight Peaks also means you will be spared having to deal with grduges for lost and sacked settlements, a problem you willhave to face if you try to control the whole province as you simply do not have the forces or the economy to defend it all. You will have to deal with raiders and such though, the general tactics I mentioned above with ghost dads and rangers combined with lightning strike is the way to go. At one point I also got a grudge which required me to go sack or raze some Bretonnian settlements, which proved an interesting diversion for a time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 29, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Anything's possible when you have 4 ghost dads

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Shortcut for taking Karak 8 Peak:
-Don't care about the Vaults or take any provinces
-Sack nearby orcs. Build up gold
-Build Quarrelers until you hit a 20 stack.
-Beeline to 8 Peaks using underway.
-Hope you lose your capital and never retake it
-Take 8 peaks, very doable with ghosts and Quarrellers. Start a new life

You can begin again in 8 peaks in under 30 turns and you don't have non-functioning trade routes the entire game. You have insane public order so who cares about grudges

SickZip fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 29, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Angrund campaign is good for one thing - roaming the Old World with a single army composed of Ghost Dads, RoR, and Quarrelers and just wreaking havoc.

Migrating to and then holding the Badlands for the umpteenth time is boring. Be badass Dwarf nomads and just make your own campaign objectives. Go hold down the north-most Dwarfhold and duke it out with chaos.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 29, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

if i confederate with the greenskins as the bloody hands do i stay as the bloody hands or become the greenskins?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Whorelord posted:

if i confederate with the greenskins as the bloody hands do i stay as the bloody hands or become the greenskins?

You stay as the bloody hands.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Whorelord posted:

They're part of your WAAAGH now, not the other way around.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
How do you convince people to confederate anyway? My first campaign as empire I managed to get two guys to join but both of them were getting their asses kicked and probably about to be wiped out by vampires. I started over and tried to play nice with everyone making alliances with the other empire provinces and I'm not sure what will make them want to get even cozier with the winning team.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Factions generally don't confederate if they're doing well. Good relations are important but you're almost always going to be confederating the smoking wreckage of the AI's gently caress-up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Comrayn posted:

How do you convince people to confederate anyway? My first campaign as empire I managed to get two guys to join but both of them were getting their asses kicked and probably about to be wiped out by vampires. I started over and tried to play nice with everyone making alliances with the other empire provinces and I'm not sure what will make them want to get even cozier with the winning team.

Confederations tend to be a matter of some combination of you being a lot stronger than them militarily, them liking you, or them being in a losing war. Also obviously you can't do it while the post-confederation debuff is happening.

Easiest is to make war on their enemies.

It's not clear what the algorithm is. I did once manage to claim a 19 settlement greenskin behemoth while only having 5 to my own crooked moon.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2016

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I ended a Belegar playthrough by confederating Dwarves to get certain settlements (last victory condition) instead of fighting them; they were #1 in power but something like a 150k gold payment turned them from red to green for confederation. It was a lifesaver because it would have been such a slog to finish it. There was nothing on the map except one of the Norsca settlements somewhere.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's a timing thing and relative strength. I saw the dwarfs have a small settlement get sacked but otherwise had like 20+ settlements to my 12 (I'm as Angrund). Since we were bros they were real eager to confederate, even though I saw they had 2 full stacks nearby.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr Gentleman posted:

I ended a Belegar playthrough by confederating Dwarves to get certain settlements (last victory condition) instead of fighting them; they were #1 in power but something like a 150k gold payment turned them from red to green for confederation. It was a lifesaver because it would have been such a slog to finish it. There was nothing on the map except one of the Norsca settlements somewhere.

You could have just allied with them, right?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Mr Gentleman posted:

Yeah this happened to me but I didn't bother confederating I decided to go to war and well, my string of 'guaranteed to win if I want to slog through' campaigns is intact.

It sucks because it's either save the day against the greenskins and the Dwarves turn into powerhouses who you have to deal with later on or let them die and get overrun by greenskins.

As an aside, I can't wait until this game has so many factions and starting locations that you don't feel as bogged down facing army after army of the same stuff.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that starts Ungrim in Karak Kadrin?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Fangz posted:

Confederations tend to be a matter of some combination of you being a lot stronger than them militarily, them liking you, or them being in a losing war. Also obviously you can't do it while the post-confederation debuff is happening.

It's not clear what the algorithm is. I did once manage to claim a 19 settlement greenskin behemoth while only having 5 to my own crooked moon.

This is based on literally nothing, but confederations seem to come easier as Greenskins than any other race.

Deified Data posted:

Is there a mod that starts Ungrim in Karak Kadrin?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689956899

There's a number of mods like this, but Magnar's is the most popular. Messing around with startpos files is messy stuff, so expect bugs.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Wait, the AI can make peace with them while you can't?

It seems like if you aren't crooked moon or belegar the AI doesn't really care about their scripted stuff, so as Empire you'll see the dwarves kill the traitors and whatnot

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Deified Data posted:

You could have just allied with them, right?

It's funny because this made me feel like an idiot for a second. But I remembered trying to do that - they would only do a defensive alliance or whatever level was below what you needed. But you must be right in that I could have bribed them to military alliance w/o confederation unless the formulas are just totally inconsistent for each :)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm doing the Angrund campaign again on Normal with a bunch of mods, and they dovetail nicely. Mazz's T4 settlements+extra garrison troops based on certain production /military buildings is great. In particular having an actual Thane /Lord as a leader of the force. This is balanced by a better AI mod which is much more aggressive and likely to siege. Rebellions are much nastier too.

I'm pretty bogged down but in spite of that having fun. The better garrisons help manage upkeep.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Spellslingers ride sidesaddle. So dumb that even the CA forums are bitching about it.

Edit: Spoke too soon, there's a bunch of people rushing to defend it. "PUSSIFICATION OF MURICA" posts were probably deleted.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 29, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

fnordcircle posted:

Spellslingers ride sidesaddle. So dumb that even the CA forums are bitching about it.

Edit: Spoke too soon, there's a bunch of people rushing to defend it. "PUSSIFICATION OF MURICA" posts were probably deleted.

Hilarious cuz Damsels ride sidesaddle in game right now.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got my lord on a Pegasus and I inevitably get him stuck in the middle of something a little too dicey. Sometimes he will just fly away when I tell him but he's been wounded twice now because he just wouldn't leave while a million goblins swarmed around to slowly kill him. How do I know when he will or won't follow the order?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

brocretin posted:

Hilarious cuz Damsels ride sidesaddle in game right now.

I didn't know that. But I can see some justification since Brettonia is supposed to be all about that honour and poo poo.

Maybe CA will just come out and say "we did it this way so we can re-use assets" or something.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Comrayn posted:

I got my lord on a Pegasus and I inevitably get him stuck in the middle of something a little too dicey. Sometimes he will just fly away when I tell him but he's been wounded twice now because he just wouldn't leave while a million goblins swarmed around to slowly kill him. How do I know when he will or won't follow the order?

Its not exactly up to him, the enemies hitting him slow, poison and potentially re-aggro your unit - as it should be. Pegasus don't have the mass of griffons or wyverns to be able to easily extricate themselves. Dive them into mobs more cautiously, and make sure you're repeatedly clicking a move order.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Comrayn posted:

It depends on if they can push out of the mass of troops, harder if they're in the middle rather than the edge, this is easier with bigger mounts like griffons, which is why Karl Franz and Amber Wizards cycle charging stuff was a popular tactic before their mass got reduced (because higher mass makes it easier to push people out of the way). So essentially, depends on how surrounded they are, and if they have ground troops backing them up. If they're on their own, they might be able to get away if they don't have to push through many people to get out they will probably get out. If they are straight up in the middle of a mosh pit, they will almost certainly need backup in order to get them enough breathing room to get out and get enough momentum to take off.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

In general I find that non monster flying mounts are able to escape big mosh pits about as well as an unmounted lord, that is to say not very good at all. With the main difference that an unmounted lord on foot is harder to get into a mosh pit to begin with, but the flying lord gives you that constant temptation, "yea I can flying charge in there and get out no problem".

As you discovered you can't just click a million times and have them push their way out like the griffons and dragons can, due to unit collision mass that others have mentioned.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I will try to be more careful with my stupid flying ponies.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Best way I've seen is to go for a rear charge on enemies towards your own front line, your lord can wade through your own units with complete ease.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If there's any truth to that datamined map, it tickles me that they're including Karak Zorn and the ruined dwarf holds in the eastern mountains. Also, with the numerous ruined Lizardman cities, I'm curious if they're going to be a very conservative faction, if but for lore reasons.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CA released a new vid of the elves:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk805en4c0m4yiw/Nano%20vs%20brocetin.zip?dl=0
Oh wait that was my tournament replays vs Brocetin whoops

Game 1: Greenskins (nano) vs Chaos(brocetin) despite me putting my goblin archers in melee for some reason I clear them out of it in time to snipe his lord and win\
Game 2: Dwarfs(brocetin) vs Chaos(nano) High king + a runesmith is 24 loving melee attack and he does a good job of not letting me snipe those lords
Game 3: Empire(nano) vs Greenskins(brocetin)I win the cav battle on the flank and he takes a flying Azhag vs a flying goonsquad, he gonna get ganked. Both of these get cleaned up in time to pull the forces to the infantry fight and win it handily.
Overall:2-1 me

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fangz posted:

One of the big factors seems to be the size/strength of armies left. Most Confeds I've done seem to be with someone who's at war but only has at most a few ragged armies walking around.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aurubin posted:

If there's any truth to that datamined map, it tickles me that they're including Karak Zorn and the ruined dwarf holds in the eastern mountains. Also, with the numerous ruined Lizardman cities, I'm curious if they're going to be a very conservative faction, if but for lore reasons.

All the added provinces is fanwork based on stuff that's there in Warhammer, the only conclusive thing the datamining found was the outline of the continents. Unless there's been a new leak and I am out of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I have no loving clue how this system works

• Locked thread