Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Everyone jumping on the Hearthstone :bandwagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakenings-saga-set-collector

No idea how they're making any money after overhead to crack and sort that many boosters and then sell pretty much at MSRP

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

canyoneer posted:

https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakenings-saga-set-collector

No idea how they're making any money after overhead to crack and sort that many boosters and then sell pretty much at MSRP

It is pretty simple how they are making money. This is all assuming that they have enough orders to make it average out that the minimum amount of packs needed to be opened gets them the legendarys they need for each set.

1. They are getting the booster boxes at wholesale prices, so that right there means they are making money.

2. Even opening the minimum number of boosters needed to get 1 of each legendary will leave them a pile of extra uncommon and rare cards. This is how they build up their singles inventory for sale. They will have 7 extra rares, and 18 extra uncommons. Given that uncommons are only slightly less common than the rares, so they should still sell for a buck or two. That's another $25 to $50 a set.

So while they won't make buckets of cash on this, a day or two of opening boosters and sorting everything should make them a worthwhile amount of money.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

LumberingTroll posted:

This makes zero sense, statistically, they need to open something like 5.6 boxes to get a full set, and the booster boxes cost them $60, so $336, they are basically promising to sell them at a loss.
You're looking at it wrong. It takes 5.6 boxes to have a 50% chance of getting one set of 17 legendaries. But they're not looking for one set, they're looking for dozens of sets, and opening way more than 6 boxes. As they open more and more, the number of boxes required per set of legendaries will drop until it hovers right around 3 boxes. Meanwhile, as Orvin pointed out they'll be setting aside a bunch of rares and uncommons to sell as singles.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I just got Imperial Assault and I dunno if I was just having a bad night, but the rules are just...well, I guess they are kind of standard FFG? Spread across multiple books and oddly worded, to say the least (WFRP3E was my first experience with that).

Is there a better kind of tutorial or "quick-start" guide written up somewhere? I thought I had seen something in this thread, but can't seem to find it now.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Have you tried playing the tutorial mission in the Learn to Play guide? The idea is to follow that guide first, and then look up whatever question you have in the Rules Reference. Personally I think it's a great system, making it very easy to look up small things whenever they arise in the future.

Edit:
This video is probably (haven't watched it, but these guys are usually good) a good primer for the Heroes at least: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/how-to-play-imperial-assaults-campaign/

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 24, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, the tutorial mission does a pretty decent job of gradually adding mechanics/rules on a sort of need to know basis and walking you through the basics of a game. It's just a little unwieldy if you're trying to look up a specific detail.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
We did try the tutorial mission, but, and again I wasn't all there or feeling great that night, it seems to jump around a lot. It felt like two steps forward, three steps back in its presentation and how to do things.

I'll just have to git gud until it clicks. I just remembered how disjointed WFRP3e and Edge of the Empire are and that a few folks online had kind of sussed out the rules and made a streamlined"do this" list.

Thanks!

Edit: ^ Thanks for the video! I was trying to find that one again, but couldn't remember who made it and it wouldn't come up on a google or youtube search for How to Play.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 24, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Unfortunately, that's just SOP for FFG. As much as I like their games, that's always been a bit of a sticking point. It wouldn't be so bad if the separate books were organized nicer like Uwe Rosenberg or Chvatil's stuff, but alas. :shrug:

My friend and I tried out mansions of madness last night and it was great but a lot of that had to do with the companion app. I can only imagine how bad it would be if it required a GM like imperial assault.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

I just got Imperial Assault and I dunno if I was just having a bad night, but the rules are just...well, I guess they are kind of standard FFG? Spread across multiple books and oddly worded, to say the least (WFRP3E was my first experience with that).

Is there a better kind of tutorial or "quick-start" guide written up somewhere? I thought I had seen something in this thread, but can't seem to find it now.

Once you get the basic rules down you will want to look at the Rules Reference only. Even go back through segements you think you already know because there be some extra stuff that the tutorial did not mention to keep things simple.

If all else fails, just know that we played our first campaign completely wrong on multiple levels and still had a good time. :v:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I dont know if anyone here has had the chance to play Star Wars Destiny yet, but its a load of fun and my local community is very excited for the release this Thursday.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I dont know if anyone here has had the chance to play Star Wars Destiny yet, but its a load of fun and my local community is very excited for the release this Thursday.

I went to one of our release events. Its very fun, I'm loving it so far

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Destiny appears to be blowing up. My local store went big on it, and they've sold through all their pre-orders and said they expect the shelf stock they ordered to go very fast on release day.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm just now checking this thread, so maybe this already got posted, but just a heads up that the release is being done in 4 waves. Wave 1 comes out this week, but Wave 2 probably won't be until around Christmas and then subsequent waves every couple of weeks after that. This is the email that got sent out to retailers:

Hello!

Since sending out our marketing plan for Star Wars™: Destiny last week, I’ve received several inquiries about product availability. I wanted to take this opportunity to bring you a closer look at the release plan.

Obviously, getting Star Wars: Destiny into your stores and out to customers is the highest priority for us. As many of you already know, Star Wars: Destiny is set to release on December 1st. Due to the complexity of manufacturing our premium dice, as well as the size of the print run, we have been forced to break this print run into four shipments. This was necessary in order to get product to your store as fast as possible. The first shipment, as stated previously, is set for December 1st. Additional shipments will arrive on approximately December 15th, December 22nd, and finally, in early January.

We can’t wait to get Star Wars: Destiny out to your stores, and we hope you are as excited as we are. We’ve been hearing a lot of great buzz and momentum building in the channel for this title. There’s much more to come for this thrilling game of saga-spanning Star Wars duels, so keep your eyes on our website, and look for Star Wars: Destiny to appear on StarWars.com and the Star Wars Show soon!

Note that they say Dec 15, but stuff like this is usually slightly slower than expected, especially around the holidays when shipping is crazy. Try and get as much as you can this Thursday, but don't expect much. Our main distributor only had 1 booster display to get to us, but another, smaller distributor has 3 booster displays and they are all already sold.

This game is going to be super expensive for the next couple of weeks, even after this Thursday. Don't get caught up in and don't buy stuff, as prices will drop. It's a great game, but don't do something dumb like spend $300 on stuff that will drop to $50 after a month or two.

Edit: Also, in case you are curious about the marketing plan they are referencing, here it is: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/24/17/2417136e-d1ae-44e4-aa86-01aaefa5d141/swdestiny_marketingplan.pdf They've apparently spent more on marketing for this game than any other FFG game, including X-Wing. That tells you how commited they are to this game and how long it could potentially be around.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 30, 2016

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Chill la Chill posted:

Unfortunately, that's just SOP for FFG. As much as I like their games, that's always been a bit of a sticking point. It wouldn't be so bad if the separate books were organized nicer like Uwe Rosenberg or Chvatil's stuff, but alas. :shrug:

My friend and I tried out mansions of madness last night and it was great but a lot of that had to do with the companion app. I can only imagine how bad it would be if it required a GM like imperial assault.

I'm consistently astounded that anyone thinks Chvatil's split-book stuff is better than Fantasy Flight's latest attempts. Trying to find a rule in Mage Knight's rules is an absolute nightmare.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

canyoneer posted:

Destiny appears to be blowing up. My local store went big on it, and they've sold through all their pre-orders and said they expect the shelf stock they ordered to go very fast on release day.

Does it have a dedicated thread?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Nope but I'd be in favor of one!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

pbpancho posted:

Nope but I'd be in favor of one!

Well someone not me should write it, beacuse I only got the starter today.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Played a game tonight with the Rey starter. Lots of fun! Not as much bloat as Magic (yet) and nowhere near as confusing or overwhelming as Dicemasters. Picked up a second Rey starter and two boosters, pulled Jango Fett and a gun I'm not going to bother writing out.

I looked on the Google store and didn't see any collection trackers, did I just miss it?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My local store got a pretty big allotment for Destiny, and sold through 100% of it at retail price with no volume discount by the time I got there after work :(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah, I don't know of any of the 4 FLGS that I go to that haven't sold through 100% of everything they've ordered and then some, with some pre-orders having to wait until the 15th and maybe after. I've also been talking to hard core ccg ubernerds and they all like the game, as well.

gently caress. When the 3rd/4th wave of shipments come in Jan, I'm probably going to dive into this. I don't know if it's going to be as huge as Magic, but maybe... and with FFG's organized play... mmmm this should be real good

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I checked online a couple of days ago and saw all the Destiny pre-orders were sold out at MM and CSI. I decided I could just hit up my local store today, but they didn't have any Destiny in stock when I went in. They told me they wouldn't be getting any more for a few weeks at least. Thus, I drove 45 minutes to another town and picked up a booster box and a Rey starter. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the Kylo starters there either, so I'll have to wait on that.

I think the game is going to be... kind of big.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Armada question: I've been out of the loop for about a year. I see the flotillas with coms net are becoming part of every fleet. But I don't totally understand how to best use their ability to use and pass tokens. Especially when there are more flotillas than other types of ships in a fleet, and there's a limit on stored tokens and only one token of a type can be used per activation.

I feel like I'm missing something. If someone can explain how to best use this ability without wasting dials and command tokens it would be much appreciated.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CPA Hell posted:

Armada question: I've been out of the loop for about a year. I see the flotillas with coms net are becoming part of every fleet. But I don't totally understand how to best use their ability to use and pass tokens. Especially when there are more flotillas than other types of ships in a fleet, and there's a limit on stored tokens and only one token of a type can be used per activation.

I feel like I'm missing something. If someone can explain how to best use this ability without wasting dials and command tokens it would be much appreciated.

They can pass tokens to each other and I don't think comms net is always the choice for them- sometimes they are just there to push squadrons around while adding activations because they are very well priced to push squads about.

The worlds winner used two bomber command centers to get two chances to reroll with his Y-wings and mostly used his flotillas to push the blob of Y-wings around.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 2, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So I built a Destiny Deck containing four angry storm troopers.

Characters:

1x First Order Stormtrooper

Battlefield:
Imperial Armory

Upgrades:
2x F-11D Rifle
2x Promotion
2x Datapad
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle

Supports:
2x Supporting Fire
2x First Order TIE Fighter
2x Drudge Work

Events:
2x Block
2x Dodge
2x Flank
2x Endless Ranks
2x Squad Tactics
2x Firepower
2x Logistics
2x Tactical Mastery

I'm not sure if it works or not, but it tries to be highly aggressive.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I forgot a very important question; why is the shield icon a Mandalorian helmet?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forgot a very important question; why is the shield icon a Mandalorian helmet?

Don't know, but a local dude here makes these nice acrylics
http://www.brokenegggames.com/enhancements/destiny-token-sets.html

I saw them in person yesterday and they look really great.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Karen Traviss have a hand in this? :mad:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Don't know, but a local dude here makes these nice acrylics
http://www.brokenegggames.com/enhancements/destiny-token-sets.html

I saw them in person yesterday and they look really great.

I've only ever had bad experiences with BrokenEggGames, unfortunately. I'm still waiting for an order to ship that was placed about a month and a half ago. Just keep getting the run around when they are contacted.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I've only ever had bad experiences with BrokenEggGames, unfortunately. I'm still waiting for an order to ship that was placed about a month and a half ago. Just keep getting the run around when they are contacted.

That's surprising to hear.
I've never dealt with them professionally, but I've played X Wing with the dude a bunch of times and he's always been really cool. :shrug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh fine I will write a dumb thread.

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800277 BEHOLD, THE STAR WARS DESTINY THREAD.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 2, 2016

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Gamer's Gambit in Danbury CT still had a couple of boxes of Destiny boosters earlier today. I bought 10 boosters but would have gotten more if I knew the supply was going to be scarce.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Rockker posted:

Gamer's Gambit in Danbury CT still had a couple of boxes of Destiny boosters earlier today. I bought 10 boosters but would have gotten more if I knew the supply was going to be scarce.

For what its worth, its only scarce next week and the week after, potentially wave 1.2 might also get bought up quickly, but I think by wave 1.3 and 1.4 it will be easy enough to get product in your local store.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Panzeh posted:

They can pass tokens to each other and I don't think comms net is always the choice for them- sometimes they are just there to push squadrons around while adding activations because they are very well priced to push squads about.

The worlds winner used two bomber command centers to get two chances to reroll with his Y-wings and mostly used his flotillas to push the blob of Y-wings around.

They are also perfect blockers against black die heavy ships. They can shrug off attacks if targeted, and can get in the way or otherwise prevent that ship from closing in properly. Granted, I haven't played a lot recently so not the best judge on how great they are. As for Comms net itself, I usually use it to make sure ships that need them have Nav or Squadron tokens. Pretty much always activate the flotilla first and guess what you'll need.

Also the Phoenix One article is up. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/2/fleet-command/ Nothing earth shattering, but a lot of incremental advantage stuff. It looks like it'll take a lot of testing to see if it's good. The big winner is Shields to Maximum though. 6 point advanced shield generator to your entire fleet if you have an engi token to burn.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eimi posted:

They are also perfect blockers against black die heavy ships. They can shrug off attacks if targeted, and can get in the way or otherwise prevent that ship from closing in properly. Granted, I haven't played a lot recently so not the best judge on how great they are. As for Comms net itself, I usually use it to make sure ships that need them have Nav or Squadron tokens. Pretty much always activate the flotilla first and guess what you'll need.

Also the Phoenix One article is up. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/2/fleet-command/ Nothing earth shattering, but a lot of incremental advantage stuff. It looks like it'll take a lot of testing to see if it's good. The big winner is Shields to Maximum though. 6 point advanced shield generator to your entire fleet if you have an engi token to burn.

7 points for a dude that straight up prevents a single damage every turn. Some baller defensive upgrades in there. I'm kinda waitin to see how the fighters are. In particular, the Z-95 and Strategic keyword.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Ghost and as many ships with rogue you can stuff along with Sato looks like a lot of fun on a TRC fleet.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

I haven't played in months, and still haven't picked up any of the wave 3 and 4 expansions. I'm trying to come up with a decent fleet, that isn't the same old thing opponents will expect. Any input on the below would be greatly appreciated.

REBEL FLEET (392 points)
1 • MC80 Command Cruiser - General Dodonna - Adar Tallon - Boosted Comms (140)
2 • CR90 Corellian Corvette B - Dodonna's Pride (45)
3 • MC30c Torpedo Frigate - Ordnance Experts - Assault Proton Torpedoes - Admonition (80)
4 • Luke Skywalker X-wing Squadron (20)
5 • Wedge Antilles X-wing Squadron (19)
6 • ''Dutch'' Vander Y-wing Squadron (16)
7 • Jan Ors Moldy Crow (19)
8 • Y-wing Squadron (10)
9 • Y-wing Squadron (10)
10 • HWK-290 (12)
11 • Nym Havoc (21)
12 • Objectives - Precision Strike - Contested Outpost - Superior Positions (0)

My basic strategy will be to go slow, using an outer picket of squadrons, then Dodanna's Pride and Admonition as a screen. I'll try to keep the squadrons in two main groups around Jan and the other HWK to try to maintain mobility. Could also break off Wedge+Dutch to make a third group for anti-squadron if necessary.

Hopefully, the ability to dish out crits (+Dodonna) and most keep opponents in the red range from my Cruiser (and within blue/black of the screen) will work. I'll have to spam squadron commands. Thought about adding ECM to the cruiser, but then I'd be left with no bid. Of my objectives I feel like Contested Outpost is my weakness, but the other defense options looked even worse.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CPA Hell posted:

I haven't played in months, and still haven't picked up any of the wave 3 and 4 expansions. I'm trying to come up with a decent fleet, that isn't the same old thing opponents will expect. Any input on the below would be greatly appreciated.

REBEL FLEET (392 points)
1 • MC80 Command Cruiser - General Dodonna - Adar Tallon - Boosted Comms (140)
2 • CR90 Corellian Corvette B - Dodonna's Pride (45)
3 • MC30c Torpedo Frigate - Ordnance Experts - Assault Proton Torpedoes - Admonition (80)
4 • Luke Skywalker X-wing Squadron (20)
5 • Wedge Antilles X-wing Squadron (19)
6 • ''Dutch'' Vander Y-wing Squadron (16)
7 • Jan Ors Moldy Crow (19)
8 • Y-wing Squadron (10)
9 • Y-wing Squadron (10)
10 • HWK-290 (12)
11 • Nym Havoc (21)
12 • Objectives - Precision Strike - Contested Outpost - Superior Positions (0)

My basic strategy will be to go slow, using an outer picket of squadrons, then Dodanna's Pride and Admonition as a screen. I'll try to keep the squadrons in two main groups around Jan and the other HWK to try to maintain mobility. Could also break off Wedge+Dutch to make a third group for anti-squadron if necessary.

Hopefully, the ability to dish out crits (+Dodonna) and most keep opponents in the red range from my Cruiser (and within blue/black of the screen) will work. I'll have to spam squadron commands. Thought about adding ECM to the cruiser, but then I'd be left with no bid. Of my objectives I feel like Contested Outpost is my weakness, but the other defense options looked even worse.

Instead of spamming squadron commands, why don't you add a Wing Commander in the mix somewhere? Sort out your command stack however you want, but if a good opportunity for your squadrons to wreak some havoc comes up you can switch to a squadron command without burning a token. I've crushed a fighter screen like that before with my ISD (Expanded Hangar on board) by banking a squadron token first turn, switching to a squadron command on the 2nd or 3rd turn, and dropping Howlrunner + 4 TIE Fighter squadrons into the mix at the same time without having to plan it ahead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

In general with that many fighters you really want flotillas to help push them around. If you don't want to spend the dosh though, I reccomend Rieken and Yavaris, especially with all those juicy bombers, instead of Dodona. That's a prettttty major change however. In general if you want to us a MC30, Lando is a great get out of jail free card for only 4 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Anybody tried the web-based version of the automated emperor for IA? Any tips, thoughts? Thinking of using it in a campaign sometime this month, as we always get into lame arguments when one of us plays as the Imperial player.