Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mister Adequate posted:

This is not a healthy thing to believe, please seek medical help ASAP.
But he's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I agree with the poster that suggested a weighted system. For instance, making the AI prefer taking land contiguous with its mainland and instead setting up puppets and satellites elsewhere.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It has to be said that HOI3 is, at this point, better than HOI4. Hoi4 still hopefully has a full development cycle to go though so here's hoping. I am disappointed that they have plunged straight into more content without fixing the incredibly broken air system and mildly broken naval system first.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are rembering HOI3 with some extreme rose tinted glasses.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are rembering HOI3 with some extreme rose tinted glasses.

Hold on as Bulgaria I claim the entire USSR and have the German AI conquer it for me, after I hosed around with the OOB for 3 hours.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HOI4 is really fun if you want a 'conquer the world' simulator where you make decisions on how to direct your nation's industrial effort and manpower reserves into pulling off sicknasty army encirclements and destroy your enemy piecemeal.

It's really bad if you're looking for a realistic pre-Cold War world simulator where peace conferences make sense and there's a 'final state of the world' that could realistically happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Weirdly enough one of those things is what a WW2 game should be, and it's not the second one.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The production system is a huge step forwards from HOI3, the land combat and research is a small gain, the ai and naval war is about the same and I cannot forgive the abomination that is the air system. Seriously how could anybody have looked at that and though, yep that's good let's ship this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, once you get to the peace conference between the big 3 the game is basically over so I don't get what the big deal is.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean, once you get to the peace conference between the big 3 the game is basically over so I don't get what the big deal is.

The usual big deal with Paradox games, pretty borders.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Tried to play Victoria 2 but its so old and hard to get into. But that got me dreaming about Victoria 3. Such a great time in history should really have proper map game representation.

So Paradox Grand Strategy thread, what era would you like the most for paradox to do? dream big or something. Personally 1835-1980ish, a game about ushering a nation into the modern world, dunno bout coherent game mechanics tho.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Friend Commuter posted:

The usual big deal with Paradox games, pretty borders.

I mean, yeah, pretty borders are everything.

TBH even Darkest Hour has lovely compromised peace conferences. If the USSR/US/UK end up with a slightly ahistorical division of Germany you're liable to get random strips of useless perma-occupied land where there wasn't enough territory to spawn a country, and goofy poo poo like France not getting back its provinces half the time. Mind you, it's not as silly as HOI 4, but still not something you'd want to continue and keep playing with without spending an hour with the console or save file open fixing things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
4 is a lot more fun than 3 minus the air system.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pretty borders are the point of playing map games.

The great war in HoI4 is pretty good sex with a lousy orgasm at the end that somehow leaves you unfulfilled and ashamed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'd like the ability, in a 2 on 1 war where the two nonhostile sides win, to say "gently caress you, all the territory we fought and died for is ours, and if you don't like it, we can start WW3 right now."

The peace conference can then go on for each side and WW3 can then proceed after that point.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd like the ability, in a 2 on 1 war where the two nonhostile sides win, to say "gently caress you, all the territory we fought and died for is ours, and if you don't like it, we can start WW3 right now."

The peace conference can then go on for each side and WW3 can then proceed after that point.

This is pretty much how the Sino-Japanese war should go. I doubt either the Chinese Nationalists or Communists would be handing captured Japanese territory to each other, but that's what happens in the game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TFW your new explosives factory puts local artisanal explosive makers out of business.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Decrepus posted:

TFW your new explosives factory puts local artisanal explosive makers out of business.

TFW a newspaper accidentally publishes your obituary calling you the "merchant of death"

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
"TFW when you have enough insight into the game that you realise that artisans are alchemists that can convert dye into cattle"

Not even joking, it's a thing artisans can do.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

good i love vicky 2

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If you aren't starving your alchemists day 1 so they become subservient craftsmen, I don't even know why you play v2.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

France declared for some of NGF's African territory, and Austria who had sphered them comes to their aid. Austria then says "wow NGF are fighting a lot of people let's attack them!"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Senor Dog posted:

France declared for some of NGF's African territory, and Austria who had sphered them comes to their aid. Austria then says "wow NGF are fighting a lot of people let's attack them!"

Vicky 2 always was my favorite along with HoI 3 :allears:

I may also be broken inside.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
How was the fan gathering?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Don Gato posted:

Vicky 2 always was my favorite along with HoI 3 :allears:

I may also be broken inside.

My friend Baudin told me to start playing Victoria 2 as China.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Decrepus posted:

My friend Baudin told me to start playing Victoria 2 as China.

Baudin is not your friend

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

PleasingFungus posted:

Baudin is not your friend

It's perfectly fine as long as you don't let the Communists take power.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Obliterati posted:

How was the fan gathering?

It was a lot of fun. Met all the cool Paradox people, then drank their beer.
I tried out some voice recording for HOI4 which was a blast, no word if they'll keep my lines in though.

The downsides: losing my ability to feel human after seeing Paradox's new wallpaper, learning that their 2d artists actually do not enjoy flagchat.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Flagchat is the worst so good for them

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Where can I buy the wallpaper. I do not need to feel human if I can be surrounded by the loving embrace of flags.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Which P'dox game has the Eureka flag?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't it Fascist Australia in Victoria 2?

edit: yep

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 7, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Welp, that'd be why I didn't know. Can't believe they gave it to the fascists.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fascist Babylonia is the raddest poo poo :eyepop:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Fascist Babylonia is the raddest poo poo :eyepop:

It's historically accurate for fascists to have the coolest flags but it's a shame that so many crazy good flags in V2 are fascist only. Unbroken Tower of Babel flag is pretty loving legit though.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

RabidWeasel posted:

It's historically accurate for fascists to have the coolest flags but it's a shame that so many crazy good flags in V2 are fascist only. Unbroken Tower of Babel flag is pretty loving legit though.

How can you overlook two dolphins 69ing?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Whoah, I didn't even realize there was a Babylonia tag in Vicky 2. Is that for a released Iraq? I guess that'll be my next game.

e: those flags aren't in the Victoria 2 flag list on the Paradox forums :mad: straight from Azerbaijan to Baden

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 8, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just use the new england flag on the forums.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

V for Vegas posted:

Isn't it Fascist Australia in Victoria 2?

edit: yep

It's also the flag for an independent Australia in EUIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Koramei posted:

Whoah, I didn't even realize there was a Babylonia tag in Vicky 2. Is that for a released Iraq? I guess that'll be my next game.

e: those flags aren't in the Victoria 2 flag list on the Paradox forums :mad: straight from Azerbaijan to Baden

As far as I recall, Babylonia was added to the game for free as a way to poke fun at Civ5 and its Day 1 Babylon DLC.