Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What on earth do you people even mean when you say "meme"

Also Gert looks boring, would probably replace veteran Lancer for him in a banner deck to almost no noticeable effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

inthesto posted:

I think they mean card choices that aren't really 'good' or competitively viable but are cool/fun to pull off, like flame and glass or comboing the guy that discards your hand with the amulet that draws a card when you discard a card

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

inthesto posted:

Also Gert looks boring, would probably replace veteran Lancer for him in a banner deck to almost no noticeable effect

pretty sure meme in this game just means bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Enhance seems ridiculously perfect for a Face Dragon deck that prefers to have no cards at 5+ cost (so you can draw Forte more reliably). Although I guess it really depends if any of the effects are aggressive enough to see use, or if they'll all be geared towards control. Which maybe is the whole point.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The new forest and dragon card are pretty sick. I alot of times while playing my rose/silver hybrid I can't do anything because I couldn't draw either card and this makes them cost 0 mana which might be a bit too OP and the dragon spell is just straight up strong.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

inthesto posted:

I just played a dragon player who used the amulet that draws a card after you discard them, into phoenix roost (cuts costs in half), into Satan, into altered fate to draw 6 cards from the Satan deck. He lost, but it was hilarious, that's a meme deck.

E: And those new Enhance cards seem a bit undercosted. The flexibility should be enough to add 1 to their base pp cost and the dragon one -which interacts well with their ramp mechanic- seems very powerful, with reasonable cost at both ends.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 29, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is Bloody Mary a meme card? I opened one and put in a lovely aggro deck for kicks, and then later in the game managed to used it with 2 Razory Claws for 10 face damage burst and it felt good

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Is Bloody Mary a meme card? I opened one and put in a lovely aggro deck for kicks, and then later in the game managed to used it with 2 Razory Claws for 10 face damage burst and it felt good

she's the win condition for control blood

control blood is in a bad place but it's theoretically a sound deck v:shobon:v.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

there are some aggro blood lists who run like two of her as well for that exact reason.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay, so "meme" just means gimmick or jank

idk why there needs to be a new word for this

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Whee, drafting a vicious curve sword deck and losing game one because your opening hand is 2, 6, 7, 8.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

memes have gone too far

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

inthesto posted:

Meme is the hot new word for gimmick gramps. Do you dig me daddy-o?

Jank decks are something else.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I like saying the word meme.

maymay

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Eyyyyy, my second ever 5-0, this time with Sword (big surprise). To my credit though, I went first four of 5 games.

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck...K1S.65yJm.62Aci

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 29, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Floral Fencer

×3

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yup.

Honestly the Bannerets were better though. Went first so many turns that there were a fair amount of unevolved Fencers. Bannerets don't care which turn I go.

Unrelated: I really hope the new set adds some stuff to combat all the bullshit Forest can do.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 29, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, had the most shittastic dragon draft ever in take two, total crap. Seriously, 2 of my "good" picks included phoenix roost, and the amulet that restores discarded cards. WTF?. But it also included *the dream* so I had to live it.

Special thanks to deathmist dragon for letting me win against forest so I actually ended 3-2. (Went first 4 times, yippee!)

Final boss was (AS ALWAYS) sword but pffft, I drew all my removal so I could have done my combo one turn earlier but I was waiting for seven PP to clear the board with spells and still be able to drop the big dude.

BEHOLD:

Anyways, next turn I got Tsubaki'ed, and had a koga kunoichi plus some other crap drop (I was saving the egg for that specific reason). So yeah, sword is so loving overpowered that they can come back from that if you don't plan carefully. First draw was a 13/13 who got killed by an Assassin (Jesus! that stupid class. But I still had the board), and then I drew Astaroth's recall for the hyper win.

gently caress Floral Fencers!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I should stream this game. I'm not anything special but after looking at Twitch, neither are the people streaming it. It is Dunning Krueger land out there. People are so supremely confident about what they're facing and that they're doing the right move and that their opponents are idiots and they just get owned for it again and again.

"Why'd that idiot evolve Bellringer instead of Aurelia?!" Probably because he had to clear your 6/1 and it'd be nicer to have a 7/6 hexproof instead of a 9/2 and 0/2 against the four remaining fairies, dude.

"Whoa! Altered Fate. Is this guy a Purgatory deck? ..... Naah he's just building shadows for necromancy." If the Spartoi that makes shadows at end of turn wasn't enough of a clue, surely Altered Fate would be. But gj trading your whole board into range of his Purgatory for the next turn.

And just watched a guy dunk Tia's friend into the void by playing her in the 5 slot.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 30, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And just watched a guy dunk Tia's friend into the void by playing her in the 5 slot.
lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I should stream this game. I'm not anything special but after looking at Twitch, neither are the people streaming it. It is Dunning Krueger land out there. People are so supremely confident about what they're facing and that they're doing the right move and that their opponents are idiots and they just get owned for it again and again.

"Why'd that idiot evolve Bellringer instead of Aurelia?!" Probably because he had to clear your 6/1 and it'd be nicer to have a 7/6 hexproof instead of a 9/2 and 0/2 against the four remaining fairies, dude.

"Whoa! Altered Fate. Is this guy a Purgatory deck? ..... Naah he's just building shadows for necromancy." If the Spartoi that makes shadows at end of turn wasn't enough of a clue, surely Altered Fate would be. But gj trading your whole board into range of his Purgatory for the next turn.

The Shadowverse streamers are really freaking weird too. I had no idea what normals HS streamers were until now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

The Shadowverse streamers are really freaking weird too. I had no idea what normals HS streamers were until now.

Yeah I ducked out of one after seeing some dude who named his aggro blood deck "loli blitz" or something.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Tornis is the only one I've seen that doesn't do any of these:

* Play obnoxious J-Pop songs for the majority of the stream.
* Use a bunch of anime GIFs all over their OBS scene.
* Have some sort of Bellringer Angel sound for when people follow/subscribe/donate.
* Unironically get super creepy about their card waifus.

He doesn't just play Shadowverse, but he plays quite a bit of it. I think he's currently taking a break from the game after reaching Master.

Outside of that, I enjoy the occasional Hafu, Reynad and Kripp sponsored streams.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A few random questions:

How hard is it to reach Master in Shadowverse vs Legend in HS?
What happens when a card is nerfed? Do you get full vial value?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sophism posted:

Outside of that, I enjoy the occasional Hafu, Reynad and Kripp sponsored streams.
I dont "get" kripp. he is so boring. why is this incredibly unanimated guy so popular?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

No Wave posted:

How hard is it to reach Master in Shadowverse vs Legend in HS?
What happens when a card is nerfed? Do you get full vial value?

Rank doesn't reset per season, (Although Masters all get set to 0 points within Master rank.) but it gets pretty grindy from A0 and beyond.

Whenever they nerf a card you can liquefy them for full vials just like in HS.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

Awesome! posted:

I dont "get" kripp. he is so boring. why is this incredibly unanimated guy so popular?

He cures insomnia.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'd like to think I avoided most of that while I streamed, but if you were there please do tell me if there's anything you thought could be improved, since I'll probably do it again at some point.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I've finally reached the lofty heights of mediocrity where I've started seeing effective gimmick decks (coincidentally around the same time that I found my third Seraph, if I wanted to join the fun)

Two questions:

-How do you fight against the Swordcraft zerg-rush decks? They seem to crush me by turn 6 or 7 unless I draw all my cheapest defence or board-clearers early.

-Speaking of gimmicks: how close to competitive can you get with an all-Neutral deck? I want to confuse some people.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Golden Battler posted:

I'd like to think I avoided most of that while I streamed, but if you were there please do tell me if there's anything you thought could be improved, since I'll probably do it again at some point.

I've watched a lot of streamers lately. Were you the one with the other guy also there on commentary? The back and forth was fun.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
That was Nages and I yeah, I'm glad to hear it.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

First time I won against a storm Haven player that opened Pinion Prayer, Beastcall Aria, Divine Birdsong, Cudgel opening (he had two cudgels). He couldn't outlast THE WALL despite having Olivia lategame. Twice I had multiple 6/6 golems and his Seraph trump card got petrified instantly.

Holy poo poo is Gaurda value so goddamn good. 6 pp 4/4 with free face damage and free amulet reduction. It's like Cerberus if Coco and Mimi were free spells, and Garuda doesn't have the most value in a Haven deck.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

Because he's good and easy to dislike. Most of the people watching his stream are there in part to see him fail, and when he does he delivers the salt.

Like, his whole shtick is that the good plays he does are him playing well when the good plays everybody else do is them just being loving lucky by having all the answers always in their hand or top decking them. He's constantly whining (sometimes he's just pretending, sometimes he's truly infuriated) and people love to rub it in his face.

Also, he plays mostly arena and plays a shitload so he does encounter some incredibly ridiculous plays that completely wreck him very often.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 30, 2016

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

trucutru posted:

Because he's good and easy to dislike. Most of the people watching his stream are there in part to see him fail, and when he does he delivers the salt.

Like, his whole shtick is that the good plays he does are him playing well when the good plays everybody else do is them just being loving lucky by having all the answers always in their hand or top decking them. He's constantly whining (sometimes he's just pretending, sometimes he's truly infuriated) and people love to rub it in his face.

Also, he plays mostly arena and plays a shitload so he does encounter some incredibly ridiculous plays that completely wreck him very often.
He's fun to watch because he somehow really seems to want to win even after tens of thousands of games. He's also really good at communicating the way he's feeling to the stream without explaining it. And even when he gets salty he's almost never uncomfortably angry about it like Reynad or something, it's actually really carefully calibrated to be comfortable to watch.

I didn't really get it at all the first few times I saw him, but there's a reason he's the most popular streamer by about a mile (and for a game mode that's really unpopular otherwise).

Also, just beat all the Elite AIs in one go with an imcomplete tempo forestcraft (still running Tam Lins because I only have one Ancient Elf for example) - the one exception was Runecraft, who I beat with Havencraft first try. Pretty easy 14 packs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

He's fun to watch because he somehow really seems to want to win even after tens of thousands of games. He's also really good at communicating the way he's feeling to the stream without explaining it. And even when he gets salty he's almost never uncomfortably angry about it like Reynad or something, it's actually really carefully calibrated to be comfortable to watch.

Yeah, his salt is half-real, half-acted. Another of his popular acts is to call for some play that will wreck him and then, when it inexorably happens, just look at the camera. Somehow that poo poo is hilarious. Again, Arena is so random that he gets to milk this a lot.

Reynad just over exaggerates his anger, like some angry pewdiepie.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also it was watching Kripp play it that I became interested in Shadowverse after HS became a shitshow

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

soulek has a pretty good stream. Low key, well inside top 100 on ladder, and plays a lot of aggro dragon.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
so what is this game's mid-range shaman, face hunter, zoo, i.e. most reviled deck

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

storm haven probably

you can make like a 5k no legendary storm list that is still real dirty

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
storm haven: top of the meta. fast face damage with a variety of utility
elana/seraph haven: heals back all your face damage and punches you to death with big numbers, or distracts you and literally plays the "you win the game" card
dshift rune: i hope you enjoy watching big booby alchemists solitaire you to death

• Locked thread