Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

And every CEO with two neurons to rub together will do the following:

CEO I want to lay off 5,000 people.
CEO Announces: I will lay off 10,000 people
Donald: Here is a huge set of tax breaks and subsidies. Don't leave
CEO Announces: After talking with Trump we've managed to save 5,000 jobs!
CEO lays off 5000 people

You forgot the step where the company starts doing their corporate retreats at a beautiful Trump branded property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The President of the United States cannot have conflicts of interest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when Bush had a 90% approval rating in the aftermath of 911? And prior to that he was already pretty popular since he hadn't really done anything yet. The situation today is completely different since over half the country dislikes/hates Trump already. And he's still in the honeymoon period after his election bump.

https://twitter.com/ryanbeckwith/status/803322175914737664

People are not going to get behind Trump like they did with Bush even if there was some terrorist attack. The country is far more cynical, bitter, and polarized than it was back in 2001. When 9/11 happened it essentially broke the brain of the nation. Our collective conscious was shattered as our entire world view was destroyed. At this point the impact of 9/11 couldn't be replicated by anything short of a nuclear bomb.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 30, 2016

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The next big financial crash is going to be spectacular, I bet :lol:

Nice to see that trickle down theory in action starting right around 1980, it's pretty sweet. Glad Trump's gonna take us farther down that path.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when Bush had a 90% approval rating in the aftermath of 911? And prior to that he was already pretty popular since he hadn't really done anything yet. The situation today is completely different since over half the country dislikes/hates Trump already. And he's still in the honeymoon period after his election bump.
that won't matter when the corporatists take their chips out of the DNC and put them into nazis-in-progress, but that is a small comfort

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geostomp posted:

So long as most Americans have some form of distraction, this will continue. I honestly think that nothing short of being completely ruined will be enough to open the people's eyes.

I love that Trump's election has overnight turned all Democrats into accelerationists.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html

:eyepop:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

we had a prototype in the form of 9/11 and that one hosed up national security and destroyed most government accountability, now imagine another one happens

Either way, I bet if we do get something like that it'll use tannerite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRbcTXAijY&t=135s

Cause since it's "fun toy for target shooters" the 2A people keep that poo poo readily available.

For reference that rickety barn was done in with what looks like a 18gal plastic tote box full of the stuff.

Wonder what a Ryder truck full would do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love that Trump's election has overnight turned all Democrats into accelerationists.

Not like there's a choice. We're testing accerationism now. It's just what's happening. GOP get's to push the worse things they have the balls to go for and we'll just have to see if full republican routing does anything to the voters of this nation.

Crain fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a good wakeup call for people who put their hopes on people in the future

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Polls, pfft.

That will be the answer to any study or article based on polls for quite a long time now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crain posted:

Wonder what a Ryder truck full would do.
Less impressive than you'd think. That kind of chemistry doesn't scale all that well. There's a reason people who blow stuff up for a living don't use anything like Tannerite.

Also is this the part of the thread where we try to earn Lowtax a visit from the ATF?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 30, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Less impressive than you'd think. That kind of chemistry didn't scale linearly.

Also is this the part of the thread where we try to earn Lowtax a visit from the ATF?
d&d shut down, c-spam remains open

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Less impressive than you'd think. That kind of chemistry doesn't scale all that well. There's a reason people who blew stuff up fit a living don't use anything like Tannerite.

We just got done with a conversation about how to obstruct a nuclear launch order from the President, someone's already getting paid to read this

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

We just got done with a conversation about how to obstruct a nuclear launch order from the President, someone's already getting paid to read this

I genuinely pity whoever that is.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I genuinely pity whoever that is.

Beats reading freep all day.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Xae posted:

And every CEO with two neurons to rub together will do the following:

CEO I want to lay off 5,000 people.
CEO Announces: I will lay off 10,000 people
Donald: Here is a huge set of tax breaks and subsidies. Don't leave
CEO Announces: After talking with Trump we've managed to save 5,000 jobs!
CEO lays off 5000 people

Looks good for the corporation and looks good for the president

everybody wins

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Mustached Demon posted:

Beats reading freep all day.

Depends, what agency is reading our thread? Cause some agents might read freep on break.

Edit: :wave: Hi Mr. or Mrs. NSA, FBI, or USSS! I very much disagree with our new president elect, but I also abhor violence and would never harm or conspire to harm anyone! Sorry this thread has been such poo poo lately! Good luck on your next performance review! Hope you get that promotion! :nsa:

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

This is kind of interesting -

http://www.edisonresearch.com/hidden-group-won-election-trump-exit-poll-analysis-edison-research/

TL;DR - 20% of the electorate went into the booth hating both candidates. Those people broke 50 T/30C/ 20I.

To summarize; conservatives held their nose and voted Trump. Progressives were not quite as compromising.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

alpha_destroy posted:

Depends, what agency is reading our thread? Cause some agents might read freep on break.

Edit: :wave: Hi Mr. or Mrs. NSA, FBI, or USSS! I very much disagree with our new president elect, but I also abhor violence and would never harm or conspire to harm anyone! Sorry this thread has been such poo poo lately! Good luck on your next performance review! Hope you get that promotion! :nsa:

Also, alpha_destroy told me there was a secret terrorist message hidden in this video, but he wouldn't say where. So you have to watch the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6hogKehZE

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zegermans posted:

http://www.edisonresearch.com/hidden-group-won-election-trump-exit-poll-analysis-edison-research/

TL;DR - 20% of the electorate went into the booth hating both candidates. Those people broke 50 T/30C/ 20I.

To summarize; conservatives held their nose and voted Trump. Progressives were not quite as compromising.

Yeah that's pretty disheartening and a fairly strong indicator that this country is hosed in the short and long run. Progressives, democrats, etc will be at a permanent disadvantage because there's no purity tests for the GOP, they already figured out they're voting for the platform rather than the candidate.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

Actually it's just the EPA. We're to be shut down as a Superfund site by the end of the year, the shitposts posing an immediate biological hazard.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also, alpha_destroy told me there was a secret terrorist message hidden in this video, but he wouldn't say where. So you have to watch the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6hogKehZE

Pfft... as if our friend hasn't read my PMs. Which, I'm pretty sure the most controversial thing in my PMs, no joke, is me arguing corn dogs are dumplings. Or at the very least mini corn dogs are dumplings and corn dogs are dumplings on a stick.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's just we have nothing else to hope for.

Well, other than whatever madness the recount spawns.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

The thought just struck me is that supposedly we are supposed to believe that at least 50 million people voted for Donald Trump because they think that this man, who has never actually worked a wage paying job in his life will create good paying jobs. Donald Trump doesn't have a clue what a good paying job is. Like has anyone asked Donald Trump this question? Just a simple how much per hour/per year would you say a good paying job is.

No, but a few did. Likewise alot didn't show up to vote because Abuela didn't give them a reason to trust her.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah that's pretty disheartening and a fairly strong indicator that this country is hosed in the short and long run. Progressives, democrats, etc will be at a permanent disadvantage because there's no purity tests for the GOP, they already figured out they're voting for the platform rather than the candidate.

The Republicans' authoritarianism, appeals to tradition, and open white supremacy ensure that their rubes will always stick together for as long as at least one of their issues is given lip service while the Democrats splinter at the drop of a hat since there is very little ideologically banding us together beyond "not being Republicans". I have no idea how to fix that short of creating multiple parties with something resembling a chance to win (i.e. a miracle).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Guy Goodbody posted:

When seemingly half the country that could be bothered to vote demands their own destruction out of spite, it's hard to resist the urge to give up and let them have it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zegermans posted:

The new anti-Bernie narrative is that we are somehow a magically conservative country. If that's true, then why assume that conservatives hold their nose when it could be that this is an expression of the One True Neoliberal baseline of the country that failed Hillary?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

The new anti-Bernie narrative is that we are somehow a magically conservative country. If that's true, then why assume that conservatives hold their nose when it could be that this is an expression of the One True Neoliberal baseline of the country that failed Hillary?

It makes sense. Republicans dominate state-level politics, and since Reagan only super-charismatic dream candidates have won Democrats the White House

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Geostomp posted:

The Republicans' authoritarianism, appeals to tradition, and open white supremacy ensure that their rubes will always stick together for as long as at least one of their issues is given lip service while the Democrats splinter at the drop of a hat since there is very little ideologically banding us together beyond "not being Republicans". I have no idea how to fix that short of creating multiple parties with something resembling a chance to win (i.e. a miracle).

Economic boot stomping on all our collective faces forever. I mean that could have united the Dems, but no.... can't talk out of all side of your mouth when you do that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wait a minute! According to this thread jobs don't go out of the country, they're automated out of existence. Didn't anyone tell Carrier?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I thought Hilary was a good candidate but I was wrong. A better candidate wins that election running away. Hell Obama openly flouting the constitution and running for a 3rd term would probably;y have won.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

Economic boot stomping on all our collective faces forever. I mean that could have united the Dems, but no.... can't talk out of all side of your mouth when you do that.
don't forget citizens united and its ilk poisoning the democrat well for them to push right-wing corporatism while shoving all of the working class and poor under the bus by means of divide-and-conquer identity politics explicitly framed at the expense of economic concerns

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought Hilary was a good candidate but I was wrong. A better candidate wins that election running away. Hell Obama openly flouting the constitution and running for a 3rd term would probably;y have won.

A sentient rock could've beaten Trump as long as it focused on a positive economic message.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Guy Goodbody posted:

It makes sense. Republicans dominate state-level politics, and since Reagan only super-charismatic dream candidates have won Democrats the White House

LOL.

Bill and Obama were uniquely charismatic.

It's not like they made strong economic appeals to the blue collar classes, both white and black while making the white collar class love them.

Nope, just a totally uncontrolled variable like "charisma" as opposed to actual messaging and content coupled with enough "charisma" that basic selective pressures prevent "charisma" from mattering.

But no. Nothing we can do. May as well give up since Democrats can't ever produce anyone with Charisma (a totally uncontrolled random variable) but Republicans are ensured it despite being aliens wearing human suits.

We lose, too bad. It's because the other guy cheated! They are faster because they have a better bike!

Trumps campaign spending was garbage and Hillary's was legendary. She lost riding a carbon-fiber Lance Armstrong-branded bike to a clown riding a Schwinn.

But Trump had everything stacked in his favor. He won because he cheated. Ignore the money, he had everything stacked in his favor!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the breaking of unions and citizens united pretty much guaranteed the Democrats couldn't run nationally without business interests in mind.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary was still a Wall Street candidate in the end. The biggest problem with American politics is that it's really damned hard to win any high post at all without the backing of the corporate masters.

Trump is basically the illusion dropping away.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not an accelerationist. I still think that is dumb and leads to bodies. I'm clinging onto the hope that somehow we avoid 1.) nuclear hellfire 2.) tripping an unstoppable chain of cataclysmic climate events and 3.) major terrorist attacks for two years. Because with midterms usually going against the president I think in two years, with luck, we can have a wave election.

I mean, people are going to die because of Trump. Americans. A lot of them. And for decades. But I don't think things need to get worse to get better. I still think minimizing damage is possible and that we should work to minimize damage until such a time we can work on actual progress.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boon posted:

Yeah the breaking of unions and citizens united pretty much guaranteed the Democrats couldn't run nationally without business interests in mind.
the same businesses, i might add, that will drop them like a rock for the GOP as soon as they start losing

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
USPOL December: Full Nihilism Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We're going to need more bards and clerics to run if we're relying on high CHA.

• Locked thread