Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I guess it's a fairly typical Fifth Doctor problem, really, because Adric and Turlough have some similar issues. I do admit to getting pretty drat aggravated with how often the Fifth Doctor gets (gasp) the TARDIS stolen, so that he is stranded in time!! The first time, you have to give the TV show some credit for it, and Big Finish some credit for using the same plot point as an homage to the Doctor it belongs to, but sheesh!

Probably as often as he gets gets captured and tied up/chained up.

Not that I'm complaining, of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We wrap up the week of sales with Cyber-Manday. Three main range, 2 4th Doctor, 1 Early Adventure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thankfully I already own those main range titles. I just might make it through December with some money after all.... assuming there aren't any kind of late-December events that typically require outlaying large amounts of money on friends and family, of course!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Probably as often as he gets gets captured and tied up/chained up.

Not that I'm complaining, of course...

I mean, how else are you going to kiss him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I mean, how else are you going to kiss him?

W... would that be alright? :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I guess it's a fairly typical Fifth Doctor problem, really, because Adric and Turlough have some similar issues. I do admit to getting pretty drat aggravated with how often the Fifth Doctor gets (gasp) the TARDIS stolen, so that he is stranded in time!! The first time, you have to give the TV show some credit for it, and Big Finish some credit for using the same plot point as an homage to the Doctor it belongs to, but sheesh!

Turlough's worst is just running away until he screws up his courage and comes back to help, which is a far cry from some of the ridiculous crimes of Thomas Brewster. The Crimes of Thomas Brewster, though, has enough fun awkward time travel stuff for me to forgive it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

W... would that be alright? :ohdear:

YES

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow, I've listened to BF's first few Torchwood stories on the walk home from work this week and they're actually good. Like, proper good. Where was this quality when the series was actually on tv?

Also been watching Doctor Who and the Silurians and i don't really understand how anyone looked at this and decided "yeah, we need to make it so we can slap tits on these" when designing them for the new series. I guess you couldn't play on the lesbian fetishism of straight guys with Vastra and Jenny without making them sexy tho

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wow, I've listened to BF's first few Torchwood stories on the walk home from work this week and they're actually good. Like, proper good. Where was this quality when the series was actually on tv?

Also been watching Doctor Who and the Silurians and i don't really understand how anyone looked at this and decided "yeah, we need to make it so we can slap tits on these" when designing them for the new series. I guess you couldn't play on the lesbian fetishism of straight guys with Vastra and Jenny without making them sexy tho

I was Okay with the Silurians when they appeared in the revival because I had never seen Doctor Who and the Silurians. Even with the poo poo show two parter they were chained to, I was at best indifferent.

After seeing Doctor Who and the Silurians, I hate what the revival did to them and hate it every time they show up. It is just the dumbest piece of poo poo.

Let's take a genuinely morally gray species with a unique look, an ambitious and fairly drat well executed costume, and a surprising amount of depth...

And slap tits, mini skirts on them, make them look like Green Asari from Mass Effect, and make the issue hilariously one sided and really loving stupid. I hate aliens that are just people with face paint and bumpy foreheads by default- changing a species from something more interesting looking TO that is a giant gripe.

Yes I know they're another sub species or some bullshit, that doesn't make it better. It didn't excuse the Sea Devils and it doesn't excuse these chucklefucks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's really depressing because their first televised story was so good, but the Silurians have failed to live up to that potential ever since :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

It's really depressing because their first televised story was so good, but the Silurians have failed to live up to that potential ever since :(

I was going to say "the Cybermen of the 70s" but the Cybes had decent stories with Troughton, eventually turned out the masterpiece that was Spare Parts, and really The Tenth Planet itself isn't great suffering from Hartnell's weakness so really in that case it's just that the creature/design never reached that height again

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It says something when the best Silurian story since their debut is a Big Finish audio.

Unless somehow Warriors of the Deep is so bad it loops backs around to...nope, still rubbish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite part of Warriors is when the Doctor gets knocked over a railing and falls barely a few feet into the water, and Turlough hauls Tegan away all,"Let's forget the Doctor, he's clearly dead!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Their first story was also the only one that could reasonably have been told, given that your brief is "Ancient lizards from beneath the ground who used to rule the Earth"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CobiWann posted:

It says something when the best Silurian story since their debut is a Big Finish audio.

Unless somehow Warriors of the Deep is so bad it loops backs around to...nope, still rubbish.

I hope you're not talking about Bloodtide, because I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable calling that the best of anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Their first story was also the only one that could reasonably have been told, given that your brief is "Ancient lizards from beneath the ground who used to rule the Earth"

Plus they only use that one Cold War "We could be allies, and live together, if only we could get past our fear and communicate" story over and over.

I don't actually hate the new design. It's just Star Trek makeup instead of rubber suits. It's more that they just try to re-tell Doctor Who and the Silurians, but make the Silurians more unreasonable, which misses the entire point of the first one, where the actual monster in the story is really the Brigadier.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Plus they only use that one Cold War "We could be allies, and live together, if only we could get past our fear and communicate" story over and over.

I don't actually hate the new design. It's just Star Trek makeup instead of rubber suits. It's more that they just try to re-tell Doctor Who and the Silurians, but make the Silurians more unreasonable, which misses the entire point of the first one, where the actual monster in the story is really the Brigadier.

The Brigadier and the younger Silurian chap who tries to kill everyone

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Going to see Power tonight in the theatre :woop:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cargohills posted:

I hope you're not talking about Bloodtide, because I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable calling that the best of anything.

I am talking about Bloodtide which I liked except for Charles Darwin's almost instant philosophical spiral into screaming "THERE IS NO GOD!"

The Silurians, The Sea Devils, Bloodtide. There are your decent Silurian stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bloodtide is a mess and the good elements of it keep getting undercut by the story itself. The whole climax with the Doctor encouraging the humans to overcome Silurian mind-control and prove that they're not just glorified apes but actual intelligent, conscious and spiritual creatures would be a high-point.... except immediately afterwards the Doctor straight up tells Darwin to his face (moments after Darwin's joyous rediscovery of his faith) that actually the Silurian would have easily had them completely under its control if another SIlurian wasn't actively working against it to "trick" the bad Silurian into thinking humans were more than just a hosed up experiment.

That plus the accents. Oh my God the accents :gonk:

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The Poison Seas is possibly the worst story to feature the Silurians or Sea Devils, and pretty much demonstrates why they need care when being used in audio adventures. It is a real shame, because I really like it when they're not used in the traditional invading alien role, i just like it a lot more when the story is coherent and the voices can be heard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Power was fun. Pacing was a bit off for a 2.5 hr showing obviously, but you can tell that more effort went into the last two eps of the serial.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CobiWann posted:

I am talking about Bloodtide which I liked except for Charles Darwin's almost instant philosophical spiral into screaming "THERE IS NO GOD!"

The Silurians, The Sea Devils, Bloodtide. There are your decent Silurian stories.

Blood Heat is probably the single best Silurian story, but I like what the NA's did with them, and the Earth Reptile clans in general -- and if we're counting Earth Reptiles in general, The Adolescence Of Time, with its flying colony, is also quite good.

I've also heard good things about Endurance, though I've only heard Nick Briggs' sequel, Frozen Time, and that doesn't have any Silurians at all. It's all of dubious relevance, I guess, but it's Nick Briggs, and he wrote a sequel that was published by Big Finish, so it works for me. I've just never gotten around to the Audio Visuals.

(Though the most obscure use of the characters is the Nazi-eating South American clan in Alan Moore's The League Of Gentlemen books)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Power was fun. Pacing was a bit off for a 2.5 hr showing obviously, but you can tell that more effort went into the last two eps of the serial.

It would make no money at all but I'd legit love a 4 hour cinema screening of The War Games :swoon:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

It would make no money at all but I'd legit love a 4 hour cinema screening of The War Games :swoon:

Now we're talking. I want to see that screw get screwed out of and into that gun on the big screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWaS5QtUZKA

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

If I had a time machine I'd fill a cinema by myself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to see the War Games any more, the cinema's full."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to see the War Games any more, the cinema's full."

I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'VE HAD ENOUGH

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

This would just lead to him going slightly further back in time to trip one of the versions of himself before he got to the cinema, thus freeing up a seat.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Sorry sir, The War Games is sold out. Would you like attend our showing of Fury From the Deep?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

"Sorry sir, The War Games is sold out. Would you like attend our showing of Fury From the Deep?"

"Timelash starts in 5 minutes, if you like."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

"Timelash starts in 5 minutes, if you like."

*departs with a scream*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*departs with a scream*

... and the true horror sets in when you realise the person manning the ticket booth is Colin Baker and all the doors are locked.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Is Ian Levine inside?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Payndz posted:

Is Ian Levine inside?

"This popcorn is making me SICK TO MY STOMACH!"

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

CobiWann posted:

"This popcorn is making me SICK TO MY STOMACH!"

"Stomachs"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Is Ian Levine inside?

Mostly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love you all :allears:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Fil5000 posted:

... and the true horror sets in when you realise the person manning the ticket booth is Colin Baker and all the doors are locked.

Then he pulls the mask off. It's Pip Baker and you're trapped in here until you watch the entirety of Trial of a Time Lord. They say Terror of the Vervoids is an... underrated classic. *ainley-master laugh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

....yes :shobon:

• Locked thread