Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Meat is not allowed but I still bring that stuff anyways because customs don't really care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Stringent is way more reliable though :greenangel:

Just saying.

But thanks for recommending and booking nabezo. Goon meat was fun. When are you back in Tokyo?

When have I ever not done something for you lol

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Hello Japan goons, I'd like to ask for some tips for a 7-day trip to Japan. I'm going to be in Tokyo on business in January and have arranged to be free to explore for 7 days after the work concludes. I'm currently looking at buying a 7-day JR pass and traveling by Shinkansen to Kyoto and Hiroshima. Bit of a broad question maybe but does that sound like a good use of my time or do you guys have any ideas on how to better use it? Also is the pre-bought JR pass the way to go if you want to travel by train?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Those are reasonable things to do. Drop in on Himeji on your way past.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Hello Japan goons, I'd like to ask for some tips for a 7-day trip to Japan. I'm going to be in Tokyo on business in January and have arranged to be free to explore for 7 days after the work concludes. I'm currently looking at buying a 7-day JR pass and traveling by Shinkansen to Kyoto and Hiroshima. Bit of a broad question maybe but does that sound like a good use of my time or do you guys have any ideas on how to better use it? Also is the pre-bought JR pass the way to go if you want to travel by train?

It's a very good plan :3
January in Tokyo also means sumo.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Presuming you are flying back from Tokyo, then yes the 7 day pass is worth it. If I were to plan a trip I'd get the horrible long rear end train ride over first, so I'd get a very early Tokyo to Hiroshima train, then see the city. Wake up early the next day to hit up Miyajima. Next day go to Himeji, then to Kyoto in the evening. The rest of the time you stay in Kyoto because there is a lot to see there, plus you can easily day trip to Nara, Osaka, and Kobe.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

teddust posted:

Presuming you are flying back from Tokyo, then yes the 7 day pass is worth it. If I were to plan a trip I'd get the horrible long rear end train ride over first, so I'd get a very early Tokyo to Hiroshima train, then see the city. Wake up early the next day to hit up Miyajima. Next day go to Himeji, then to Kyoto in the evening. The rest of the time you stay in Kyoto because there is a lot to see there, plus you can easily day trip to Nara, Osaka, and Kobe.

Yeah you're right. I am flying back from Tokyo. I'm not sure how much time I will get to explore while my meeting is on so I might want to take a day or two extra there as well. I think I'll just get the rail pass now and go from there, unless it's recommended to get accomodation arranged before I get there... Is winging it doable or not recommended?

Thanks for the tips, it's much appreciated!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would at least secure Kyoto and weekend hotel reservations a month or two in advance.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

peanut posted:

I would at least secure Kyoto and weekend hotel reservations a month or two in advance.

Welp better get on that tomorrow then...

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
How many Goons live in the Nagasaki area? My wife and I are moving from Yokosuka to Sasebo in January.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've been reading that luggage forwarding services to/from hotels (or even convenience stores?) are pretty common all over Japan. If so, that would be extremely handy for a few of the more awkward travels we're making - especially as we'll have either 4 or 5 suitcases between 3 people! Is it reasonable to expect most hotels to use these and, for the days we're staying in Airbnbs, to expect most areas to have a convenience store that would accept them?

The main instances it would be useful for us would be for getting from Tokyo to Appi, Appi to Hakuba (more on this in a sec) and Hakuba to Kyoto.

For the Appi to Hakuba section, we actually have a two day break in Tokyo but could happily live out of our backpacks for this. If these luggage forwarding services tend to be everywhere, are they also able to hold bags for a couple of days?

We're about to email specific services to find out what we can do but thought I'd look for goon-approved advice first on whether this is possible and what services to use.

Cheers!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Has anyone here gone to Noh plays? I'm intrested enough in the form from having covered it in art history classes and such that I think I'd be entertained, but I'm worried about putting three hours of minimalist foreign-language theater into an itinerary that other people (albeit regular theater and orchestragoers) will be subjected to as well.

Also, what are some good weeaboo/weird-japan things to briefly immerse in in Kyoto? My list is almost entirely gardens, temples, and museums and I feel like that needs some variety in there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Day trip to Nipponbashi in Osaka.

I'm sure it was a one off thing, but the place was swarming with cosplayers when I went over the weekend.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you are going to put in any kind of theater performance, make sure it's far enough into the itinerary that everyone is long over the jet lag. We did kabuki on the second evening during my first trip to Japan and I think everyone was asleep within 10 minutes. It's really easy to fall asleep when you have no idea wtf is going on.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A Noh play sounds excruciating. How about Takarazuka instead?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Has anyone here gone to Noh plays? I'm intrested enough in the form from having covered it in art history classes and such that I think I'd be entertained, but I'm worried about putting three hours of minimalist foreign-language theater into an itinerary that other people (albeit regular theater and orchestragoers) will be subjected to as well.

Also, what are some good weeaboo/weird-japan things to briefly immerse in in Kyoto? My list is almost entirely gardens, temples, and museums and I feel like that needs some variety in there.

Tori uzumasa eigamura is pretty good. English support is weak and it can get expensive quickly if you want to go in more than a couple of the paid attractions, but it's a nice break from Kyoto's typical spots.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I saw a Noh play with my middle school third-year class a few years ago and everything outside the second act was sleep-inducing. I think even the principal who was right next to me nodded off once or twice.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been reading that luggage forwarding services to/from hotels (or even convenience stores?) are pretty common all over Japan. If so, that would be extremely handy for a few of the more awkward travels we're making - especially as we'll have either 4 or 5 suitcases between 3 people! Is it reasonable to expect most hotels to use these and, for the days we're staying in Airbnbs, to expect most areas to have a convenience store that would accept them?

The main instances it would be useful for us would be for getting from Tokyo to Appi, Appi to Hakuba (more on this in a sec) and Hakuba to Kyoto.

For the Appi to Hakuba section, we actually have a two day break in Tokyo but could happily live out of our backpacks for this. If these luggage forwarding services tend to be everywhere, are they also able to hold bags for a couple of days?

The most well known company that does this, and the one you're most likely to use as a tourist, is Yamato Transport (also known as Kuroneko after their black-yellow cat logo), and they do everything you want. Any decent hotel will arrange for them to pick up your luggage and can accept it (even before you arrive). As for Airbnbs, it's easiest to just indicate which day and hour you want them to deliver (they work until 9pm or so), and just wait for them at the apartment. For sending luggage outside hotels, you can indeed go to many convenience stores or even request they pickup from the apartment (there's a form on their website). And yes, they can hold your luggage for up to a week without any extra charge.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's best to give 2-3 days notice before pickup and expect 1-2 days for delivery.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

peanut posted:

It's best to give 2-3 days notice before pickup and expect 1-2 days for delivery.

Though if you don't you can just go send from a convenience store (or find one of their actual branch offices - in urban areas there's a ton of them), and they'll take your luggage immediately.

Delivery has always been next day for me (when sending cross-Japan) if I sent before noon, and as I wrote - you can specify a date up to a week ahead and a time frame for delivery.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Thanks for the recommendations--sounds like no-go for the Noh show, and Nipponbashi is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is Toei Uzumasa Eigamura worth it if a day trip to Kanazawa is also on the agenda?

Oh, also, what's the best arcade for decidedly non-arcade oriented people to bop around in as a ~~*~cultural experience?~~*~ Or is that a bad idea altogether? It's been specifically requested of me as de facto trip planner and the one with the most internet-osmosis JapanFacts(tm) but I'm not an arcade person either so i don't know what the gently caress :shrug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are arcades everywhere, don't plan around it, just find one when you go to a shopping network district.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Thanks for the recommendations--sounds like no-go for the Noh show, and Nipponbashi is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is Toei Uzumasa Eigamura worth it if a day trip to Kanazawa is also on the agenda?

Oh, also, what's the best arcade for decidedly non-arcade oriented people to bop around in as a ~~*~cultural experience?~~*~ Or is that a bad idea altogether? It's been specifically requested of me as de facto trip planner and the one with the most internet-osmosis JapanFacts(tm) but I'm not an arcade person either so i don't know what the gently caress :shrug:

Tori eigamura shouldn't bite into any Kanazawa time. It's more for if you can't bear more temples/gardens whilst in Kyoto.

For arcades in Kyoto, there is 'playland king' close to shichijo (very close to Kyoto station), which is a fairly standard place. And there's a-cho, near kawaramachi, which is a relatively famous arcade that holds many tournaments. It's mainly known for fighting games, but has a decent cross-genre selection.
You'll probably end up near both places at some point (I accidentally stumbled upon both places myself), but a-cho is worth a little detour if you want to see what the 'scene' is like.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 29, 2016

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Any recommendations on a small cool place near Osaka/Kyoto to spend an overnighter in the first days of January? We're looking for something to do before heading back to Tokyo and travel back the day before.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

orenronen posted:

The most well known company that does this, and the one you're most likely to use as a tourist, is Yamato Transport (also known as Kuroneko after their black-yellow cat logo), and they do everything you want. Any decent hotel will arrange for them to pick up your luggage and can accept it (even before you arrive). As for Airbnbs, it's easiest to just indicate which day and hour you want them to deliver (they work until 9pm or so), and just wait for them at the apartment. For sending luggage outside hotels, you can indeed go to many convenience stores or even request they pickup from the apartment (there's a form on their website). And yes, they can hold your luggage for up to a week without any extra charge.
That's awesome, thanks so much for the help! That is going to make getting round a bajillion times easier than expected.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Beijing made me go through customs and security for a transfer. Shanghai on China Eastern didn't. Beijing was pretty slow and lovely and mainland af and China air sucks balls.

But it's also cheap so whatever.

I transferred through Beijing a week ago for an international flight (had to go between two different airlines because I was an idiot) and had to go through customs, get my checked bags, and re-check in with my bags with the new airline and then go through security again and the whole thing took about 45 minutes or so on a Tuesday morning, but YMMV.

An hour seems really tight tho regardless of where you have a transfer cuz any delay, even like 15 minutes or so, could throw everything off.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 30, 2016

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Having just been to Kanazawa for the first time this past weekend, I'd say don't bother going if you'll be in Kyoto anyway. Unless you're really really into sushi or sake. Everyone there is so depressed too, even for Japanese

Some other ideas that should be an easy day trip from Kyoto:
Himeji
Yamazaki distillery
Shirakawa-go

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nara.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nara's already definitely on the list. Kenroku-en is a specific draw for me and we're all sushi and seafood fanatics so Kanazawa is still on the list, I think, but that's interesting to hear about it being depressed. Maybe I'll choose a different day than actual literal christmas to hit it up :v: Did you visit the new contemporary art museum?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

zmcnulty posted:

Everyone there is so depressed too, even for Japanese

I wonder what the saddest most depressed city/region in Japan is?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Ned posted:

I wonder what the saddest most depressed city/region in Japan is?

Tokyo- as everyone realizes their lives and relationships are just as souless and empty as they were in the inaka

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
At least people eat good food before they kill themselves. Can't do that in Osaka!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yes we went to the art museum too, was lame af

We ended up drinking at the train station from 2pm before our 6:30pm flight

Now who's the depressed one, makes u think

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Koya-san, Japan's (the world's?) largest graveyard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm going to go home for a while and won't renew my spouse visa I think (it expires in July), but I plan to come back in a few years with another spouse visa. Should I tell the government that I'm moving out? Should I just stop paying health insurance? Or can I just go home and let the visa expire?

There's a whole webpage with information about this
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/q-and-a_page2.html
... but it's loving unreadable. It seems to threaten you with fines if you don't return your residence card, but does that really happen?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

Koya-san, Japan's (the world's?) largest graveyard.
Apparently my group is spending a night with a temple of monks at Koya. I'm guessing not to expect a fun, happy-go-lucky time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think Akita has the highest suicide rate. It's also the oldest prefecture.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My money's on Hyogo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I'm going to go home for a while and won't renew my spouse visa I think (it expires in July), but I plan to come back in a few years with another spouse visa. Should I tell the government that I'm moving out? Should I just stop paying health insurance? Or can I just go home and let the visa expire?

... but it's loving unreadable. It seems to threaten you with fines if you don't return your residence card, but does that really happen?

Um yeah you should probably cancel your insurance, etc properly because they might demand back payment when you move back to Japan the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

You should also forget to cancel your cell phone, gym membership, electricity, rent contract, and any other bills you may have.