Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Alec Guinness has phoned in better performances than some actors have ever given.

Exactly what I'm talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Exactly what I'm talking about

Its an indefinable quality that some actors have regardless of how much they're phoning it in. Ford has it too, without the two of them I really don't think the first movie would have been as successful.

Its not Guinness' best performance, I don't think anyone would try to make that argument. It doesn't have to be though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

UNLIMITED POWER

That line rules!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's particularly appropriate for RotS because that's when the series embraces the operatic part of Space Opera. It's all big emotions and dramatic declarations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's particularly appropriate for RotS because that's when the series embraces the operatic part of Space Opera. It's all big emotions and dramatic declarations.

The guy who has spent probably most of his life keeping his true self bottled up, patiently waiting to execute a plan 1000 years in the making, finally gets to let it all hang out. He's in ecstasy.

On the other hand, in RotJ he's more snotty than intimidating. One reviewer I read said he sounded less like a personification of evil and more like a dad telling his college aged son that his becoming a Republican was inevitable.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I think a lot of this boils down to the fact that tonally the prequels are different than the OT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I think a lot of this boils down to the fact that tonally the prequels are different than the OT.

They're pretty much identical. A little romance, a little adventure, and somebody loses a limb.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No one acts as campy as sidious being electrocuted in the OT. There are no battle droids with low brow comic relief. They are different and a different set of films that fit together on their own and as a bigger piece.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

No one acts as campy as sidious being electrocuted in the OT. There are no battle droids with low brow comic relief. They are different and a different set of films that fit together on their own and as a bigger piece.

Jabba does. A big ol' puppet who gives no poo poo about nuance in his performance. Didn't even learn to speak english for his role.

Also 3PO being put together awkwardly is low brow comic relief, as is him getting his head bashed on a wall when Chewie didn't duck. Most of the Ewoks were low brow humor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MrJacobs posted:

Those are kids from a previous marriage, not hybrids. Clones can't reproduce, except for maybe Boba.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid/Canon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Remember when the muppeteers built a tiny muppet rear end for Yoda to wiggle at the camera while he rifles through Luke's stuff and pretends to be retarded.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

R2 gets spit out like a comical chew toy in Empire.

Jabba dies with his big tongue lolling out of his mouth, he may as well have had giant X's over his eyes, poo poo was so over the top.

Mon Mothma's exaggerated delicate ephemeral tone is just as campy as Palpatine's prequel turn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

There are no battle droids with low brow comic relief.
But there are all the other droids used for lowbrow comic relief. The mouse droid running in terror from the space trucker's big dog, the protocol droid mouthing off to 3PO, the droid in Jabba's palace wiggling its little legs and helium-squealing when it's being tortured. R2 is used as a waiter and is (as was mentioned) projectile vomited! The only places you see projectile vomiting in cinema are scenes of horror or lowbrow comedy (and it's almost always the latter or a combination of the two).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's also that dude who weeps hysterically when his friend the Rancor dies :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Remember when the Jawas were talking about the nature of man while selling sentient beings?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

There's also that dude who weeps hysterically when his friend the Rancor dies :smith:

I always felt this was so unnecessarily dark. Like the tone is dark already but this was just so sad it like ruins the fight with the rancor

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't really get how it 'ruins' the fight, the rancor is already a caged animal Luke has to kill and seeing the sadistic warden sad that his slave pet doesn't get forced to devour more innocent slaves just makes you wish the rancor had eaten him instead and escaped to his freedom.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
but its sad that the fat guy loses his buddy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's as dark as the Ewok checking on his buddy who gets blown the gently caress up. It's those moments that humanize Return and ultimately builds up to Luke's decision in the throne room.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those Ewok movies weren't exactly the typical light kids fare either.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember when the Jawas were talking about the nature of man while selling sentient beings?

Droids aren't sentient dum-dum. They are pretty much just toasters. That talk. And make decisions. And have feelings. And ambitions. And are afraid to die.

Sentience means you came out of a vagina. Has this thread taught you nothing?

Serf
May 5, 2011

The rancor was the Harambe of Star Wars.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder what kind of memes the teenagers in Star Wars like to post in their hologram video chats.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Electromax posted:

I wonder what kind of memes the teenagers in Star Wars like to post in their hologram video chats.

#droidlivesmatter

#notallstormtroopers

#ImWithHer

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Serf posted:

:eyepop:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Phi230 posted:

but its sad that the fat guy loses his buddy

I agree, it is sad. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any chance that scene from Max Max 3 was a nod to the Rancor keeper?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Serf posted:

lol

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
"Only a master of evil, Darth."

One thing that goes underappreciated is how Episode III gives this line greater meaning, in that one of the central conflicts driving Anakin's antipathy towards Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council is his belief that they're intentionally holding him back and refusing to make him a master, all because they fear his power and don't want him to learn the secrets of conquering death. Of course the duel in Episode IV ends with Obi-Wan allowing himself to be struck down, and using the Force to survive his death, thus demonstrating that he's still the master, and Anakin still the learner. And the reason Anakin is still the learner is because retaining one's identity in the Force requires a total mastery over oneself, achievable only through a mind state of pure selflessnes and compassion. Anakin is only a master of evil; self-mastery continues to elude him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fat guy crying over the Rancor is played for laughs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I thought it was really sad. Prolly depends what age you first see it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah that was my point, he is so over the top sad. He plays it the same way Palpatine plays getting electrocuted (which I'm sure 7 year olds thought was shocking, just like 7 year olds who watched Jedi thought the Rancor dude was heartbreaking)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was really sad. Prolly depends what age you first see it.

What did you think of the pig guard that Luke chokes to death right before that scene? Were you as empathic?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ruddiger posted:

What did you think of the pig guard that Luke chokes to death right before that scene? Were you as empathic?

Did he choke the Gammorean to death or just to get it to back off?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I forgot that it was Han who shoots because he's frustrated with Chewbacca's cowardice. Instead, we can talk about how Chewbacca blunders into an incredibly obvious trap with the ewoks. The point is that the things characters do in a film contribute to their characterization.

And he does it because he's "thinking with his stomach", which (as pointed out by Mike Klimo) is the same reason Jar Jar tries to steal a morsel from a street vendor in TPM and similarly lands himself in hot water:

But both blunders prove to be fortuitous:

Mike Klimo posted:

The natives take the heroes back to their family/tribe, offer sanctuary, and eventually aid them in their quest. Interestingly, the heroes have dinner in Anakin’s slave hovel in Menace whereas in Jedi, the Ewoks plan to serve up the heroes at a banquet in C3PO’s honor.

That's the Force making its will known through the clumsy, id-driven actions of the comic relief, animal-man sidekicks of TPM and ROTJ. Remember one of the main recurring mantras of the Jedi: "Feel, don't think. Act on instinct."

Vintersorg posted:

Not entirely. The reason it's funny is because it actually makes you empathize with the rancor keeper for a moment and feel kind of sad about the rancor's death, who up to that point was presented as nothing but a vicious, heartless monster. It's a small bit of black humor which evokes the larger themes of the film. George Lucas singles that moment out on the DVD commentary as something he personally thought to put in the movie, because he liked the idea that even a creature like the rancor had someone who cared about him. It's a sincere moment that becomes humorous because it's such an out-of-nowhere tonal right-turn. The essence of humor is its ability to subvert your expectations and jar you out of traditional thought patterns.

One might even speculate that the "jarring" nature of humor is part of the meaning behind Jar Jar's name. He's a complete fish-out-of-water whose floppiness and rubberiness jars with the rigid stoicism and practiced formality of the rest of the characters. But his ability to shake the Queen's societally-ingrained thought patterns and inspire her to empathize with her strange, alien neighbors provides the key to victory. If that's the case, then his on-the-nose name is another thing he shares in common with Han Solo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah that was my point, he is so over the top sad. He plays it the same way Palpatine plays getting electrocuted (which I'm sure 7 year olds thought was shocking, just like 7 year olds who watched Jedi thought the Rancor dude was heartbreaking)

Everyone who understands what electrocution is thinks it is shocking.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

homullus posted:

Everyone who understands what electrocution is thinks it is shocking.

The whole scene is electrifying: you've got this charged battle between two polar opposites, the air is absolutely crackling with energy, and it ends with the old man transformed into a revolting monster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always felt sad for the squealing guard who gets eaten by the Rancor.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

But there are all the other droids used for lowbrow comic relief. The mouse droid running in terror from the space trucker's big dog, the protocol droid mouthing off to 3PO, the droid in Jabba's palace wiggling its little legs and helium-squealing when it's being tortured. R2 is used as a waiter and is (as was mentioned) projectile vomited! The only places you see projectile vomiting in cinema are scenes of horror or lowbrow comedy (and it's almost always the latter or a combination of the two).

Probably the most ridiculously lowbrow comic relief scene involving the droids comes at the very beginning of the very first movie: Threepio and Artoo look one way down a hallway absolutely erupting with blaster fire, then they look the other way, then they hammily shamble across while miraculously not even being hit once as laser bolts whiz by them randomly at every other possible location on the screen. That's a total slapstick gag of a scene.

It's a pure example of Lucas's old-fashioned, Hollywood Golden Age comedic sensibility, and it's everywhere in the original six movies, whether it's Threepio and Artoo's Abbot and Costello routine or Han and Leia's screwball romantic comedy stylings. It's part of what gives them their charm. TFA, in contrast, eschews Vaudevillian repartee and Keatonesque slapstick for Whedonesque banter, and it's an ugly marriage. I'm actually a big Buffy fan, but by God does that sort of genre-aware, self-satisfied quippery not work for Star Wars. It's way too modern, and lacking in naivete. "Okay, how do we blow it up? There's always a way to do that." Argh. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I sure hope that wasn't Kasdan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoran posted:

The whole scene is electrifying: you've got this charged battle between two polar opposites, the air is absolutely crackling with energy, and it ends with the old man transformed into a revolting monster.

Whatever faults Chancellor Palpatine had, the man knew how to conduct himself.

• Locked thread