Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Hey does anyone remember a game for the Super Nintendo that was basically Qix with multiple playable characters and better graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Monk E posted:

Hey does anyone remember a game for the Super Nintendo that was basically Qix with multiple playable characters and better graphics?

Cacoma Knight in Bizyland

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Not the game you're talking about, but the most memorable Qix-like for me is a game called Volfied. I used to play it tons. Can't be it though because I don't remember character selection.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Thank you I actually kinda remembered bizyland but years of memory erosion made me think they just accidentally put the label for a busytown game on it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So I accidentally stumbled upon the shooter that she was trying to figure out. It was not R-type though she did remember R-type. The one she was trying to remember was Gyrus. I started playing it the other day and immediately she recognized the music.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Is there a thread that helps you find the names of songs?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Manic X posted:

Is there a thread that helps you find the names of songs?

In games or in general? There's a sticky in NMD if that's what you want

Otherwise get humming that theme tune on soundcloud or something!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Back when I was a kid in the 2000s I played a demo for a fantasy strategy game. It was in a 3/4 perspective and looked like you were in a cave. You would send groups of units around to capture buildings. There was at least a faction of elves and another of humans and I remember the unit sprites being very high res for the time.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Okay, so, I'm trying to figure out what a game I saw recently was.
It looked like a new-ish historical or fantasy strategy game, I think it was turn-based. The user interface had a brown border. It looked like someone was collecting gold from their cities or for some other reason a little gold coin icon and some numbers were above a city.

This turned out to be Forge of Empires.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Back when I was a kid in the 2000s I played a demo for a fantasy strategy game. It was in a 3/4 perspective and looked like you were in a cave. You would send groups of units around to capture buildings. There was at least a faction of elves and another of humans and I remember the unit sprites being very high res for the time.

Other than the graphical quality that sounds like Lords of Magic. https://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_magic_special_eddition

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Battle for Wesnoth?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

If it's not Lords of Magic which was my hunch too, Disciples 2 after the standalone Rise of the Elves expansion maybe? At least some of the levels take place underground IIRC.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Other than the graphical quality that sounds like Lords of Magic. https://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_magic_special_eddition

Could also be Age of Wonders 2, that had underground areas, an elf faction, and a somewhat isometric viewpoint.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
It might be Lords of Magic, I'll investigate further.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

PSWII60 posted:

So I accidentally stumbled upon the shooter that she was trying to figure out. It was not R-type though she did remember R-type. The one she was trying to remember was Gyrus. I started playing it the other day and immediately she recognized the music.

Wow. I don't think Gyruss matches anything whatsoever in the description you provided. Or is this a totally different game compared to the arcade one?
I love how bad our memories of old games can be, though. Something you swear is one thing turns out to be about 3 games mixed together with a TV show thrown in for good measure.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
A GBA game I borrowed from my friend for a bit - it was a Halloween-themed top-down shooter. (You probably collected something pointless, too.) I believe you fought pumpkin-based enemies a lot and one of the characters - there might have been multiple playable characters? - was, like, the kid daughter of Dr. Frankenstein. Also I'm pretty certain it was a sequel.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cobweb Heart posted:

A GBA game I borrowed from my friend for a bit - it was a Halloween-themed top-down shooter. (You probably collected something pointless, too.) I believe you fought pumpkin-based enemies a lot and one of the characters - there might have been multiple playable characters? - was, like, the kid daughter of Dr. Frankenstein. Also I'm pretty certain it was a sequel.

I can't access YouTube or any game-related sites right now to confirm, but I think this might be Castleween/Spirits & Spells.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It might be Lords of Magic, I'll investigate further.

I'm afraid it turns out it was not LoM, the maps are the wrong scale and the ui is too light and sparse.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Back in the very early nineties, a friend of mine had a shareware? RPG? on his Mac. You were breaking out of a hospital or mental Institution; I think you were supposed to be a psycho killer. You had options to Punch or Kick in combat. One of the first weapons you could find was a syringe that would instant-kill one enemy. One of the first enemies was a cop you could kill for his pistol.

we never got very far, but I would really like to know what that game was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What game is this?

Looks like something Playstation.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
A Google Image Search result suggests Alien Resurrection.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ah, that's less exciting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, Alien Resurrection was the first game to properly use the twin analog stick controls that are now standard for console FPS', you don't get more exciting than that!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Is it one of the Heroes of Might and Magic games?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually hear that the Alien Resurrection game is pretty good, unlike the movie.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Chairchucker posted:

Is it one of the Heroes of Might and Magic games?

No, wrong scale, it was like a knockoff HoMM.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Age of Wonders?

E:

Sorry, I can't read!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Like the new King's Bounty?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
There was a "game" that was more of a tech demo from around 10-12 years ago that suddenly popped into my head today. I don't think it ever got released, but I vaguely remember some of the videos they released showing off the crazy-at-the-time graphics was a fantasy fps where they were fighting an ogre with a bow and maybe some spells. I'm pretty sure it was called Project _______.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hamsystem posted:

There was a "game" that was more of a tech demo from around 10-12 years ago that suddenly popped into my head today. I don't think it ever got released, but I vaguely remember some of the videos they released showing off the crazy-at-the-time graphics was a fantasy fps where they were fighting an ogre with a bow and maybe some spells. I'm pretty sure it was called Project _______.

Project Offset. Yeah, it was canned.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Hakkesshu posted:

Project Offset. Yeah, it was canned.

Yes! Thank you, was driving me crazy.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm trying to remember the name of an old text adventure game. it had visuals but was interfaced with text.

It was the second game in a series, you started out in an apartment and had to escape. The aliens you encountered in the first installment can take over your human brains. they were scary and you managed to stop them from figuring out where earth was. You were made very rich in reward, and asked to help the military when needed as mutual compensation.

A long spaceship appeared near earth and some crazy cult has risen up and gotten violent (they are who you are trying to escape from)

I remember you having to go to that ship after the cultists raid the military base you are hiding out at and murder pretty much everyone. On the ship was a brain sucking mechanical alien monster you have to outwit.

Then you escape off it and get stuck on an alien planet and have to finagle yourself a ship that can make it back home. Before those cultists can take control of that long alien ship and pilot it to the evil aliens and basically give up your whole race to them.

I remember you needing three parts for the ship, you visit an ice planet, and not much else. I have nothing I can search for to get the name of the game. Please halp.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 11, 2017

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Is it gateway 2?

e: for reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXKw9WaHtI

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 11, 2017

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

That certainly seems like it, thank you!

Time for a replay.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
So there was this game which I am almost positive was a console JRPG from the PS2 era or mayyyybe early PS3? All I remember about it was that there was something that was very similar to Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, but this one was in 3D and had a lot of twisty things, and you would spend points (XP points?) to drive the ball along the path and....I think there were only like three tiers of levels, so you would cap out really early until the next tier could be unlocked... argh I can see it in my head.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds a lot like the crystarium from FF13?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This game I'm thinking of was like a knock-off of Crusader: No Remorse, so it was in third-person isometric perspective with super-destructible environments as the main gimmicks, but in this one you controlled like a futuristic battle-robot (I can't remember if it was tracked or walked, maybe both?) and accordingly the missions were on the outside, so you were blowing up ammo dumps and whole army bases rather than being inside a refinery.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds a lot like the crystarium from FF13?

Jesus Christ, that's it. I read your reply, and I thought, no that can't be right, but then I couldn't remember how XIII did the leveling so I Google Image Searched it, and it's exactly what I was thinking of. Well, that resolves that. Thanks!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

gradenko_2000 posted:

This game I'm thinking of was like a knock-off of Crusader: No Remorse, so it was in third-person isometric perspective with super-destructible environments as the main gimmicks, but in this one you controlled like a futuristic battle-robot (I can't remember if it was tracked or walked, maybe both?) and accordingly the missions were on the outside, so you were blowing up ammo dumps and whole army bases rather than being inside a refinery.

MechWarrior 3050 / Battletech?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_3050
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3d8aqP8uio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

How recent is it? If it's new then Brigador. If it's old and 3D then maybe Future Cop LAPD.