Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

To be fair, part of my reasoning for doubt stems from the DNC putting up a proverbial butt fumbler as a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Nah. Punk is dead and what is left is a sad simulacrum.

If NOFX is a sad simulacrum, I never knew what punk actually was I guess.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh my whole punk post was about punk in the aughts being drat good.

Or maybe it'll be the return of hair metal gently caress yes.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

If NOFX is a sad simulacrum, I never knew what punk actually was I guess.

Well, NOFX was in fact bad, so there's that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shbobdb posted:

Nah. Punk is dead and what is left is a sad simulacrum.

Most punk was sad to begin with so......business as usual. "You're not punk, and I'm telling everyone" is a pretty good summation of where that poo poo ended up pretty quick.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

People won't even believe we're in a recession unless it personally affects them. So yeah Trump could destroy the economy ,but I am pretty sure any economic downturn will be blamed on Obama.

Also, you make some very big assumptions. One of which is that the Republican's won't go after voter suppresion on a federal level.

Yeah but they tried to pull this back during the Bush years where anything positive about the 90s was because of Reagan and all the bad parts of the economy under W. was because of Clinton and yeah I remember die hard Republicans believing and parroting that garbage but did anyone outside of true believers really believe that? So I don't know if that will work.

Though o f course with Jeff Sessions as AG, the Civil Rights Act is going to go completely unenforced so I guess all is lost since than Democrats can't win an election again and Nuclear Holocaust will be a blessing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yep. She had one at one point but as noted in an article posted earlier today she abandoned it to focus on Trump's character failings. Which I, like many others, considered a masterstroke move at the time but obviously it totally backfired.

The Dems can take back the Presidency in 2020 without too much difficulty IF they can focus on Trump's assuredly disastrous economic policies that we'll see over the next 4 years. Hit him especially hard on health care and medicare in particular. People didn't like Hillary because, among other things, she didn't promise widespread change, just continued incremental progress. Well it won't be hard for the Dems in 2020 to promise widespread change from whatever hosed up poo poo Trump is doing. Just promising to roll back to Obama era policies will be considered change. Just repackage it all under a new banner and there you go, Change We Can Believe In 2.0

I think the left massively underestimated just how much denial the right could be in. I think maybe the fact that their party put up such a dumpster fire broke their brains too and they just went "Nope, didn't happen.". We vastly underestimated their powers of self deception.

Yes, Trump is strong, honest, hard working, good business man with family/christian values and good decision making skills and he's the salt of the Earth.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
In every presidential election of the past 25 years, the candidate who was more personable, human, and seemingly working-class won, while the candidate who was more aloof, distant, and uncharismstic lost. This poo poo is not complicated. America did not magically go from permanent Democrat Rule to Forever Republican Dystopia. Voters, especially white voters, are fickle and manipulatable and want a candidate they can relate to to tell them poo poo will get better. Thats literally the only bar the dems have to hit.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

In every presidential election of the past 25 years, the candidate who was more personable, human, and seemingly working-class won, while the candidate who was more aloof, distant, and uncharismstic lost. This poo poo is not complicated. America did not magically go from permanent Democrat Rule to Forever Republican Dystopia. Voters, especially white voters, are fickle and manipulatable and want a candidate they can relate to to tell them poo poo will get better. Thats literally the only bar the dems have to hit.

You're absolutely correct.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

"I don't have a problem with Jews, I just have problems with Judaism that's all" said the antisemite.

In today's "Did You Know", Palestinians and Arabs are Semites as well, so that makes anyone against them anti-semitic.

So Black Baby Goku is a antisemite as well.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kirschen was right, just not how he wanted to be :v:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'd argue Carter was more charismatic than Ford as well.

Nixon is really the lone enigma since 1960.

Television has ruined our electoral process. People look for the person who is entertaining.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

aBagorn posted:

Television has ruined our electoral process. People look for the person who is entertaining.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson should run then.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Rock is a Republican.

However, I'd go for Cena - D vs Johnson - R

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

StealthArcher posted:

The Rock-R makes it even better.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

It speaks a lot about Americans that they relate to the scion of a wealthy family who grafted and schemed his way to a fortune while molesting every woman that caught his eye

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

rscott posted:

It speaks a lot about Americans that they relate to the scion of a wealthy family who grafted and schemed his way to a fortune while molesting every woman that caught his eye

Unless the fortune you're talking about is the presidency, Donald Trump has not made a fortune. He could've made more money and failed to do so. That he has maintained his position of wealth and influence despite numerous failures, both financially and morally, helps me understand the meritocracy that is America a lot better.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

A sentient rock could've beaten Trump as long as it focused on a positive economic message.

That's what HRC offered for anyone that wasn't a gullible, entitled child. Soon 2016 will be remembered as As Good As It Got.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
post punk is better anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

post punk is better anyway

Washington Post Punk

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ford Fairlane Punk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4oyaRouHc

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RandomBlue posted:

I think the left massively underestimated just how much denial the right could be in. I think maybe the fact that their party put up such a dumpster fire broke their brains too and they just went "Nope, didn't happen.". We vastly underestimated their powers of self deception.

Yes, Trump is strong, honest, hard working, good business man with family/christian values and good decision making skills and he's the salt of the Earth.

People weren't deceived about Trump. They just didn't care because he was saying the right things about jobs.

They were thinking "The bad things will happen to other people, and even if they do happen to me at least I'll have a job that pays better than minimum wage."

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Z. Autobahn posted:

2020 - George Clooney vs Donald Trump.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Yates posted:

2020 - George Clooney vs Donald Trump.

Not impossible, given the paltry choices that the Dems seem to have available for 2020.

Also, Fox is slipping into it's role as the new regime's Pravda quite well already:

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/803951842887602179

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

HannibalBarca posted:

Not impossible, given the paltry choices that the Dems seem to have available for 2020.

Also, Fox is slipping into it's role as the new regime's Pravda quite well already:

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/803951842887602179

What are you talking about? We have lots of great candidates now and more will emerge in the next four years. The problem is all the lists in the mainstream media are focusing on ties to establishment and fundraising ability which at this point should be disqualifying.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

StealthArcher posted:

Oh god suddenly all his old promos make sense now :smith:

aBagorn posted:

Yeah you can't just be a really competent person, you have to have charisma too which I think is dumb.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Glazier posted:

What are you talking about? We have lots of great candidates now and more will emerge in the next four years. The problem is all the lists in the mainstream media are focusing on ties to establishment and fundraising ability which at this point should be disqualifying.

I'm curious to see who your stable of great candidates is. No snark meant there, I'm honestly wondering who you think a good choice will be for 2020.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-north-carolina-gerrymander-idUSKBN13P0E4

quote:

A U.S. federal court on Tuesday set a March 15 deadline for North Carolina state lawmakers to redraw legislative districts found to be racially "gerrymandered," and ordered a new round of elections by next November for the 28 seats at stake.

In August, the same special three-judge panel ruled that nine state Senate districts and 19 state House districts, as carved out in a plan adopted by the Republican-controlled legislature in 2011, were unconstitutional.

The panel had told North Carolina's legislature to start revamping its political maps immediately, but left the existing boundaries intact for the Nov. 8 state elections, because of time constraints.

"While special elections have costs, those costs pale in comparison to the injury caused by allowing citizens to continue to be represented by legislators elected pursuant to a racial gerrymander," the panel wrote in its seven-page order on Tuesday.

North Carolina has already appealed the August ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court, which has yet to act. Republicans also vowed to appeal Tuesday's ruling, handed down by two U.S. district judges and one circuit judge.

The ruling is a "politically motivated" abuse of judicial authority, said state Senator Bob Rucho and Representative David Lewis, the Republican chairmen of the House and Senate redistricting committees.

If upheld, the court order "is a gross overreach that blatantly disregards the constitutional guarantee for voters to duly elect their legislators to biennial terms," they said.

Last year, the Southern Coalition for Social Justice challenged North Carolina's latest political maps, saying legislative district lines were drawn in 2011 so as to dilute the state's black vote and give Republicans an advantage.

The three-judge panel that heard the case agreed, and Tuesday's order, essentially an extension of its August opinion, was hailed by the North Carolina Democratic Party.

A separate three-judge U.S. court panel ruled in a similar case a week ago that state assembly districts in Wisconsin, as redrawn by its Republican-led legislature, were unconstitutionally gerrymandered.

It also requires the state to hold special primary and general elections in the late summer and fall of 2017 to fill those 28 House and Senate seats.

Moreover, state lawmakers elected to any of the disputed General Assembly seats in 2016 will serve for just one year, instead of the normal two, the court ruled, a limit set for those elected next fall as well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Trump only needs to save 1,499,000 jobs to catch up to Obama!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm curious to see who your stable of great candidates is. No snark meant there, I'm honestly wondering who you think a good choice will be for 2020.

Off the top of my head:

Elizabeth Warren
Keith Ellison
Ruben Gallego
Xavier Becerra
Tulsi Gabbard
Marc Pocan

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Glazier posted:

Off the top of my head:

Elizabeth Warren
Keith Ellison
Ruben Gallego
Xavier Becerra
Tulsi Gabbard
Marc Pocan

One of those is garbage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A judge denied a request from Jill Stein to do a hand recount in WI. The recount was already done electronically I believe.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Hootington posted:

One of those is garbage.

And endorsed by David Duke.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Glazier posted:

Off the top of my head:

Elizabeth Warren
Keith Ellison
Ruben Gallego
Xavier Becerra
Tulsi Gabbard
Marc Pocan

Warren will be pretty old in 2020 (older than Trump is now, I believe), Ellison will have his hands full as a Congressman and (potentially) DNC chair, and, as others have noted, Tulsi Gabbard is not...amazing. But I'll definitely take a look at the others, thanks.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Glazier posted:

Off the top of my head:

Elizabeth Warren
Keith Ellison
Ruben Gallego
Xavier Becerra
Tulsi Gabbard
Marc Pocan

Warren and Sanders are the only people out there right now with enough name recognition to work I think. Anyone else is either too obscure, too inexperienced, or too tainted by donations and/or lovely decisions to win.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr Hootington posted:

One of those is garbage.

Oh believe me I am not a fan of Tulsi Gabbard in the slightest, but I cannot deny she has a lot of credibility and support in the progressive wing.

HannibalBarca posted:

Warren will be pretty old in 2020 (older than Trump is now, I believe), Ellison will have his hands full as a Congressman and (potentially) DNC chair, and, as others have noted, Tulsi Gabbard is not...amazing. But I'll definitely take a look at the others, thanks.

We don't need Ellison to run the DNC full time if he can make the structural changes we need and retake the Senate in 2018, that should be our immediate goal. Talking about 2020 is fine as long as our immediate concern is 2018.

readingatwork posted:

Warren and Sanders are the only people out there right now with enough name recognition to work I think. Anyone else is either too obscure, too inexperienced, or too tainted by donations and/or lovely decisions to win.

The lesson we should take from the 2016 debacle is that name recognition, fundraising and establishment resources are the least important thing in modern political culture. If name recognition was important we would all be talking about going to President-Elect Clinton's inauguration plans.

vvv I agree, and I've said the same things many many times, but we cannot deny she still has a lot of support among progressives. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 30, 2016

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

Off the top of my head:

Elizabeth Warren
Keith Ellison
Ruben Gallego
Xavier Becerra
Tulsi Gabbard
Marc Pocan

Tulsi Gabbard is pro Muslim-genocide like her BJP backers/supporters. Hell, Trump interviewed her for a cabinet position and she actually went! I don't know how exactly she would play that as a good thing seeing as how reaching across the aisle to work for Donald Trump looks awful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustached Demon posted:

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson should run then.

I've actually been thinking he same thing. Is he a Democrat?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Glazier posted:

We don't need Ellison to run the DNC full time if he can make the structural changes we need and retake the Senate in 2018, that should be our immediate goal. Talking about 2020 is fine as long as our immediate concern is 2018.

Buddy, we are not taking back the Senate in 2018 and we'll be lucky if we can avoid LOSING seats. It'll take a monumental, historic fuckup by the Trump administration to put enough Senate seats in play for control in 2018. Obviously that's entirely possible, but what I'm saying is that I think the energy for 2018 is gonna be better spent holding what Senate seats we can and targeting vulnerable House districts than making a play for Senate control, at least given what we know now.

"Democrats already are grappling with how to defend 10 senators up for reelection in 2018 in states that Donald Trump carried, some resoundingly. Republicans are targeting a quintet of senators from conservative states where Trump walloped Hillary Clinton: Montana, Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota and West Virginia. The GOP could amass a filibuster-proof majority by running the table in those states and other battlegrounds."

Also state and local races, of course. I've heard talk that the DNC is gonna go hard after governorships in 2018, which is a great way to expand the presidential bench in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've actually been thinking he same thing. Is he a Democrat?

Nope, registered Republican.

• Locked thread