Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I did this and I remember being worried that I'd suck at gamecube games when they first revealed its controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Finally got my RetroPie setup going and holy crap this is awesome, it's incredibly easy and just works so well. Just need to order a few of those buffalo USB SNES pads.

I think I might build one of these for a friend of mine for christmas, he wants a simple retrogaming setup for his kids, and this could not be easier [and his kids are old enough to not go loving with the setup menu and break it]

Gonna probably build/buy one of those power switch setups though, it's dumb as gently caress that the pi does not have a power switch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you don't want to gently caress around too much, a switched USB cable does the trick. You just have to remember to shut it down from the menu first.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

I gave up on trying to find a dead CPS2 B board, that's why I ordered the Hispanic Xmen vs Street Fighter. Hispanic B boards are in less demand than US or Japanese ones as they only work with Hispanic A boards. Since I'll be installing the Darksoft kit I don't need to worry about that. I got it today and it's even more filthy than I was expecting, I'll have my work cut out for me refurbishing it.

I plan to consolize it with an RGB out and DB15 Neo Geo controller ports. I'm hoping to avoid soldering anything to the JAMMA edge so it would still work in a cab. I have similar plans for the Atomiswave.

Sorry for my idiocy, but you're pairing the hispanic B board with a US A board? For some reason I'd thought the donor carts needed to match region even with Darksoft's kit.

If that works I think I'm definitely gonna go this route.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

eshock posted:

Sorry for my idiocy, but you're pairing the hispanic B board with a US A board? For some reason I'd thought the donor carts needed to match region even with Darksoft's kit.

If that works I think I'm definitely gonna go this route.

No, I ordered a hispanic A+B set. I normally wouldn't have done that because the A board can't play US or Japanese games but since I'll be installing the Darksoft kit into the B board it won't matter as it'll have all the games anyway. I paid $120 for the set from Mexico and it looks like hell but I'm not picky.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More retro vgm vinyl:

SNATCHER (Sega CD) from Ship to Shore PhoneCo - It'll come in red/orange/white, crystal clear and green/grey variants, plus a black-on-red splatter variant exclusive to theyetee. Preorders start December 1: https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/

Panzer Dragoon from Data Discs - 2xLP in black, sky blue or a limited-edition "frosted clear, sky blue and grey" variant; includes the full OST plus bonus synthesised versions of a few tracks. Data Discs tends not to reprint LPs with fancier packaging, so you may not want to sleep on this one. Preorders start December 3: http://data-discs.com/products/panzerdragoon

The Revenge of Shinobi by Data Discs - it'll come in black, bone or a limited-edition bone-and-black variant; composer Yuzo Koshiro wrote the liner notes and he'll be signing 50 copies of the limited edition which will be randomly distributed to people who pre-order within the first 12 hours of availability. Preorders start December 3: http://data-discs.com/products/therevengeofshinobi

Data Discs also confirmed they'll be putting out Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 3 (shut up).

Ship to Shore has more Konami and Taito soundtracks in the works, including Darius, Gradius, Rocket Knight Adventures and perennial favourite The Adventures of Bayou Billy.

EDIT: oh and Brave Wave recently announced two remastered Ninja Gaiden series OSTs - it looks to be a ways out right now but the first OST will include the music from the arcade game and the first NES game and the second will include the music from NES games 2 and 3, with oversight from the original composers: http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/003

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 1, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised I was the first to post this!

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-once-had-a-character-named-angela-and-1789432454

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Data Discs also confirmed they'll be putting out [...] Streets of Rage 3

YES YES YES GOD loving YES

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hey, someone (I think d0s) mentioned that coinopexpress is unreliable as hell and might not even be able to get you the stuff that you order. If they have a quantity listed for something on their website, does that mean it's safe, or is it still a crapshoot?

e: I'm asking because they say they've got two Megalo 50 cabinets and :sbahj: those are sexy

I'm not the one who said that in this thread but that is the consensus, they pretty much put everything on their site and when you order they e-mail you and tell you if they actually have it or not and if they do its usually for a lot more than is listed on the website.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
streets of rage 3's soundtrack seems like exactly the kind of thing someone who collects video game soundtrack vinyls would love

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i hear it has this exclusive unreleased track

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: oh and Brave Wave recently announced two remastered Ninja Gaiden series OSTs - it looks to be a ways out right now but the first OST will include the music from the arcade game and the first NES game and the second will include the music from NES games 2 and 3, with oversight from the original composers: http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/003

And I wrote things in both!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got that Art of Atari book this week and have been paging through it. I was surprised at how much work the author did to track down some of this artwork and their artists. I was expecting all scans of boxes/manuals, but he must have got ahold of a lot of originals because some of the scans are beautiful. And there's often a short quote from the artist about the work.

There's also some stuff that you probably won't find outside the book currently. For example, there's a quote from the artist of the 5200 version of Realsports Basketball (unreleased) where he states Atari made him change the black player on the cover to a white guy. The book has both versions of the cover, and I can't find either one online (it's different than the 2600 artwork, which is out there.)

Overall, it's a very high quality art book and I'd highly recommend it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

I'm not the one who said that in this thread but that is the consensus, they pretty much put everything on their site and when you order they e-mail you and tell you if they actually have it or not and if they do its usually for a lot more than is listed on the website.

Are there any dealers/importers who do what they do, but in an actually reliable fashion, or is pretty much any way of getting candy cabs in the US gonna be a crapshoot? I've heard even the bulk orders on neo-geo.com tend to not pan out a lot of the time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are there any dealers/importers who do what they do, but in an actually reliable fashion, or is pretty much any way of getting candy cabs in the US gonna be a crapshoot? I've heard even the bulk orders on neo-geo.com tend to not pan out a lot of the time.

pretty much no, I've been trying to find a candy cab forever it's basically impossible now unless you want to pay out the rear end shipping 1 cab from another country or do a group buy

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Windy Gaming was importing them for the last 3 years or so but after having shipment issues with his suppliers he stopped. Otherwise you had a chance~

vv yeah Windy was more like $700-900 in the US but like I said, he stopped. Shipping or delivery was also significantly less horrible than that.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 1, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I mean I could get a new astro city shipped to my door right now from a seller in the UK but it would be $900 for the cab and $700 for shipping lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Huh, so apparently my local game store in bumfuck nowhere has some ties to Ancient Corp because they got gifted a Famicom Mini from them, and then also sent a promotional pixel art thing of the store owner's image to them. That's kind of cool.

I was wondering what the random facebook post from them months ago boosting Gotta Protectors was about considering how obscure that is.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I dont think I saw this posted, but ESPN did an article on game collecting. It's focused on Stadium Events and some events around it:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18121761/the-true-story-nintendo-most-coveted-game

edit: well then. I should watch that Nintendo quest movie, but I hear it's really terrible and painful.

falz fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 1, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

falz posted:

I dont think I saw this posted, but ESPN did an article on game collecting. It's focused on Stadium Events and some events around it:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18121761/the-true-story-nintendo-most-coveted-game

It was. In the previous page.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

I mean I could get a new astro city shipped to my door right now from a seller in the UK but it would be $900 for the cab and $700 for shipping lmao

So like every product I have shipped to Canada. :v:

Seriously, though, what would the shipping be in a theoretical group buy situation?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

About 6 years ago a roommate and I wanted an arcade game for our apartment and we just used one of those "all of craigslist" search sites until something cheap popped up. I remember seeing few candy cabs during our search.

We finally found a guy unloading a Soul Caliber cabinet for like $100. Carrying that up 4 flights of really narrow stairs was not fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From craigslist:

That is a seller who knows what people need.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Seriously, though, what would the shipping be in a theoretical group buy situation?

Ungodly complicated. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd kill to have just about any pinball or arcade machine but I've never seen one in good condition for a price that I would actually be willing and able to pay. Maybe I'll build a MAME cabinet next summer?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I've always appreciated the insanity of that build. It's still ugly as poo poo, but you can almost see what they had in mind.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

From craigslist:

That is a seller who knows what people need.

Not quite. You need another pack of 2032s, or you'll only be able to power one of them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

falz posted:

edit: well then. I should watch that Nintendo quest movie, but I hear it's really terrible and painful.

I think it's on Amazon Video. I don't recommend watching it, it wasn't all that interesting and the lead has some mental health issues that he should probably address.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have an american street fighter II cab with a tiny screen, bought it from a friend in high school for $100. you don't want a standing cab like this for your house if you actually want to play games and not just have a piece of cool furniture, they're engineered to be uncomfortable and happ style sticks/buttons are imprecise garbage. I'm putting it on craigslist soon if anyone in florida wants to buy the wrong kind of cab

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

absolutely anything posted:

streets of rage 3's soundtrack seems like exactly the kind of thing someone who collects video game soundtrack vinyls would love

It will be my second after that excellent Zuntata album and I feel no shame.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

mariooncrack posted:

I think it's on Amazon Video. I don't recommend watching it, it wasn't all that interesting and the lead has some mental health issues that he should probably address.

Yeah, I watched it for free on either Netflix or Amazon prime video, and was glad I didn't pay extra money to sit through it. (

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

I haven't see it, but I've heard it described as a long Game Chasers episode devoid of any charm or fun. Is that about right?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

shyduck posted:

I haven't see it, but I've heard it described as a long Game Chasers episode devoid of any charm or fun. Is that about right?

I haven't seen an episode of Game Chasers but based on the 3 minutes that I've watched, yeah, that sounds accurate.

EDIT: This show seems really cool. Thanks for mentioning it to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mariooncrack posted:

I haven't seen an episode of Game Chasers but based on the 3 minutes that I've watched, yeah, that sounds accurate.

EDIT: This show seems really cool. Thanks for mentioning it to me.

I haven't watched a lot of Game Chasers, but I actually heard about them from The Video Game Years, which is pretty much like a videogame version of VH1's tributes to various decades in music and tv.

Seriously, it gets cheesy at points (many points, actually :negative:) but overall, I absolutely love The Video Game Years and strongly recommend it to anyone and everyone in this thread.

Good god, I hope they tackle the 90s. :ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want a Nintendo Red Tent

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

People who collect VGM vinyl prefer to buy indie game OSTs at 300% markup, evidently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I want a Nintendo Red Tent

Those things are solid steel and weigh a metric ton.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want to recreate a Nintendo Red Tent with MDF and an arduino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I have an AV famicom coming in the mail. Official NES controllers seem to sell second hand for like 30$ (i'm in Australia) which doesn't seem like such a good deal. What should I get?
I'm thinking of just getting an 8bitdo wireless receiver and using that.

• Locked thread