Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Welp, I did it.

I managed to randomly breed an Abra of every nature with Synchronize.

And now I'm going to go out and use those Abras to catch a Ditto of every nature. Yes, even the useless neutral natures like Quirky and Serious.

Why? Because I can.

But before I do I have about a hundred rejects and extras that I'm going to send out over wondertrade. If you happen to get a crappy Abra with inner focus and a bad nature and an original trainer named "Omoly", I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh and Z-moves are good. as in, strong, idk how "healthy for the meta" they are but I don't think they're a problem. like ive used them to blast through a wall that'd probably have burn/recover-stalled me otherwise, and some of the support ones are all sorts of good. Z-Parting Shot alolan persian, Z-Conversion PorygonZ, Z-Happy Hour Greninja (please god no more), Z-Belly Drum Azumarril, probably some others.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tbp posted:

would anyone be interested in like a 101 breakdown of smogon tours / history of them / past winners or anything like that? if so i'll write a fairly tryhard one that should still be accessible, and for me, tours were the big reason to stick with the game and community

absolutely, i don't actually know what a tour is but i keep hearing people reference them and since i mostly skipped gen 6's scene i never investigated it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUE1kCTMVWI
I hear y'all like dance videos starring pokemon characters

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

How Nuzlockable is the game? It's not as much of a walk in the park as Gen VI was, and there are points where you're very likely to lose a Pokemon. Namely the Totem battles.

So how are Z moves working out in comp. singles and VGC?

I was skeptical how'd they work in doubles but I'd actually say they are pretty neat. It helps that there are Z effects that are more than just a strong attack; stuff like Z-conversion and Z-splash for example. Also there are a lot of cases where a held item is actually better than a z-crystal so its not like megas where not having one means your team straight up lacks power.

I really like Z-Bugsium on Golissopod because it lets you use First Impression even after the first turn. Even once per battle, that's really useful.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tbp posted:

would anyone be interested in like a 101 breakdown of smogon tours / history of them / past winners or anything like that? if so i'll write a fairly tryhard one that should still be accessible, and for me, tours were the big reason to stick with the game and community

Very much so.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

Absolutely, yes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why? Because I can.
lol if you don't have a full set from gen 4 that you've been laboriously transferring forward, yes, even the neutral ones

:shepicide:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

tbp posted:

Effort posts are always interesting, :justpost:.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

tbp posted:

Me! Me!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I have some spare codes for anybody that wants them:

Genesect E533 8X79 8ES8 2RCC

Volcanion E652 M772 DHY4 8FZF

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

tbp posted:

I would definitely be interested.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain_Person posted:

I have some spare codes for anybody that wants them:

Genesect E533 8X79 8ES8 2RCC

Volcanion E652 M772 DHY4 8FZF

Tried the Volcanion one. No dice :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I really like Z-Bugsium on Golissopod because it lets you use First Impression even after the first turn. Even once per battle, that's really useful.

it also lets you use a bug move when psychic terrain is up

oh god i am already hating psychic terrain so far

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
3 affirmatives is pretty much all i need n_n

to start here's the kinda formal and stuffy intro i did some time ago: http://www.smogon.com/articles/tournament-overview

that article explains like the basics of what the official tournaments are, how to join them, what the tournaments consist of etc.

the rest of this will be more informal / aka i can get away with writing in all lowercase and talking poo poo on players overview:

OST:

OST is pretty much what you would expect from a "tournament". the format is definitely the most simple and the most classic - best of 3 current generation OU, randomized (non-seeded) pairings, single elimination. fun fact, now that I am a TD (tournament director, a team of 6-7 ppl on smogon that sets official tournament policy and has to deal w/ the cheaters and stuff) a few people have pestered me to change this format (either including seeding or making it double elimination) but i refuse because i think the circuit needs at least one ultra classic style tournament.

OST awards a tiny little gold trophy:

OST is one of the oldest smogon tournaments, i believe i am actually hosting the next one which will be the 13th OST. they are held annually so thats 13 years straight of this tournament, you can see why people put a lot of emphasis on this one. OST has some really prestigious winners, people who are often considered "best of all times" or at least included in the conversation. some examples:

august: considered one of the best DPP players ever to play the game
loki: one of the "old gen" all time greats - when i say old gen in this sense i don't mean any pre-gen7, but the pre-physical special split gens aka 1-3, was also considered a titan in DPP
goofball: one of the very rare two individual trophy holders

now you might be thinking that OST is a pretty high standard but it has indeed lost a lot of prestige these days. for whatever reason, OST has attracted drama for the last few iterations, all of which have some pretty wild stories -

OST 9: this is the one that really started the OST "curse" off. the winner was a guy named gr8astard, commonly called by his first name Hugo. if you watch youtubers that are big on competitive as well, you'll know that guys like Pokeaim, Blunder, and CTC were all really good friends with this guy. Hugos a really interesting personality in pokemon history, he started what i can only consider an anti-clan (it was like, a clan to make fun of people starting clans on Pokemon Online) called IDM which held in its ranks like 75% of the dominant players in the BW era. Hugo himself is considered the best teambuilder and one of the best players of BW and XY (he quit by the time ORAS came around and only casually ladders). the big problem with his win? he actually uh, lost on the way there.

basically in i think round 2, hugo got matched vs a guy named Double01 who was a decent but not really respected tour player, sort of an average joe in the tournament community. this isn't too wild, greats often hit hiccups especially in a format as volatile as single elim bo3. but by some ludicrously poor decision by the host and head TD, a guy named Earthworm (who, i assure you, wasn't acting out of favoritism - side note, he's probably the best GSC player of all time or at least top 3 or so) hugo got another chance. at the time, smogon did this thing called the "Predictions Tour" where a banner was awarded to whoever got the most predictions right in the runup to the finals. players were asked to wait to play their games until some arbitrary time so all predictions could come in. hugo ignored that, lost, and then successfully petitioned a rematch which he won. pretty absurd and awful decision making tbh. in the final, his opponent DestinyUnknown either mistakenly or maliciously loaded an RU team after losing the first match in the bo3. some people say the "glitch" he claimed never existed, and he was trying to scout hugos team. ofc hugo didn't allow a rematch from the start, beat the RU team and won OST 9.

OST 10: won by Atticus, who is also a rare double-trophy winner (excluding team tours theres only a handfull in the past 15 years or w/e, he also won Smogon Frontier). this one isn't as controversial, but it's pretty widely known Atticus was "ghosted" in the finals and more or less has admitted it himself. Ghosting is playing a tournament game typically in a skype call with other top players who suggest plays, run calcs and basically help with strategizing. it doesn't sound that bad, but it gives the ghosted player a major advantage. however goofy it sounds, even for really great players, there is a tendency to choke or make suboptimal plays especially when on the "big stage". late-stage tournament matches like an OST finals will have a few hundred people spectating, it's a weird sort of pressure. a ghosted player's biggest advantage is that they simply won't choke - anyone ghosted by a good group has safeguards from making dumb plays in the heat of the moment. it's a big problem to this day in the tour community.

atticus wasn't really punished, though, despite all the rumors. at the time, ghosting catching and punishing was way less strict than it is today, and if the same info came to light in the past year or so he'd certainly have had his trophy removed and have been tournament banned. oh well

OST 11: this one is the most absurd of them all and requires a real bit of backstory.

so in the runup to this tournament, a player named Bloo had more or less "quit" competitive mons. Bloo was a Smogon Frontier winner, which is considered one of the hardest tournaments, but there were a few question marks about the ethics of his/her win. either way most people accepted that it was a legitimate win, but Bloo really really wanted a Smogon Tour (different tournament, pink trophy) win as that is generally seen as the "big prize". nevertheless, despite setting numerous point records in qualifying and STILL being the all time point holder in qualifying, Bloo never won ST, failing in the playoffs over and over. i can't emphasize how difficult it is to even qualify for Smogon Tour, to put up the sort of consistent records that Bloo did every season is nothing short of miraculous. with those records and the Frontier win, Bloo was widely considered the 2nd best player of all time by a huge swathe of the community, after only a guy named McMeghan who was his consistent rival.

so as OST 11 is starting, Bloo, a tournament director takes a back seat from tours. She/He had let many people know for a long time that they were starting med school and all that was ramping up. everyone accepted it without issue, Bloo was given the tournament to host, make pairings, etc.

so here is where the absurdity starts. a brand-new account called "Style" starts winning matches, which isn't too wild, because OST is a tour with a lot of variance, average players going on hot streaks, etc. it's not really crazy that a new player could be doing well. but something was a little absurd about Style. She claimed to have picked up the game only like a month before entering OST. no matter how naturally talented someone is, that's really quick to be beating pretty high level tournament mainstays, like CrashinBoomBang or radianthero. Though, even that could be overlooked - but she often posted about not understanding like, stupidly simple terms that tournament players all know (things like "double switching" - which is going out to a resist to lure your opponent to switch, anticipating that switch, and switching twice in two turns to gain momentum). additionally, her wins weren't some skin-of-her-teeth victories, they were all 6-0s from the lead matchup or a battle where she never lost control of the pace or momentum for even a turn.

people started noticing these coincidences, and when they started debating it publicly, Bloo happened to be pretty vocal defending her. so some investigation went into the whole thing, a really genius all-time legendary player named Ciele did some out of this world irc investigation poo poo, and found out that basically, Bloo and like 1-2 other peopl were indeed Style. unfortunately, the investigation only wrapped up after Style defeated her opponent, Bloo's longtime friend and youtube sensation ThunderBlunder777 (aka just Blunder), in the semifinals. this was a pretty unprecedented incident, so there was a bracket recreate, Blunder won the bracket and faced community-villain WhiteQueen in the finals and lost, WQ taking home the gold.

the Bloo incident still spins a lot of peoples heads. one, Bloo had been a hugely known figure in the community for like, 6 years at that point or something ridiculous. before i said she/he, not for any reason other than it is still unclear what gender bloo is - Bloo was male for years, Style was female, Bloo may have been female masquerading as a male, idk. Bloo, in her role as TD, rigged pairings so that Style faced her friends and then ghosted her friends against herself. there are some pretty absurd logs that makes me question how she got away with it that long, asking stupidly specific questions turn after turn. this kinda ruined a lot of the trust in the tournament community, and after this, crackdowns on any sort of cheating amplified a lot

OST 12: no winner for this one lol. i know less about the people involved and the stories aren't as good, but basically an italian guy named Newrof made the finals against some American kid named NJNP. the finals were delayed, and of course, it turns out Newrof was ghosted for rounds after rounds by an Italian ring of players. Italians, btw, have an AWFUL history of ghosting/cheating in Smogon. Im really good friends with some of the top italian players and know how the ghosting ring works, the Newrof one that got caught was the "2nd tier" ghosting ring, basically all those guys just got banned.

well they do a bracket recreate again, NJNP wins the finals, evidence comes out that NJNP ghosted a friend earlier in the tournament. TDs just got annoyed, cancelled the tour, stripped the trophy and now nobody won for that year.

so yeah i am looking forward to hosting, hope there isn't much drama. i'm pretty well respected through the community so i hope that inspires some people to play by the rules!!

there are indeed some really highly respected winners throughout the years. noobster, snuch, hanke, etc. all players that are talked about only in good words. its just that the drama stories are a bit more interesting than "noobster brought a really well built stall team and his opponent wasn't prepared" + i wasn't around like 10 years ago so the stories aren't as fresh in my memory.

i will split this up into a few posts because im realizing how long it is getting - there's the following tours to review all of which have some cool history : OST / ST / Classic / Grand Slam / Frontier / WCoP / SPL / VGC

frontier and grand slam are defunct, and a new tournament called Smogon Championship is coming in soon. if all the stories of OST cheating put you off a bit, know that it's really unique to this tour, but just a pretty ludicrous bit of color to the past few iterations for whatever reason. hugos curse is a bitch i guess. the two tours held in the highest regard are Smogon Tour and Smogon Classic, both have really clean histories and i think the qualification phase has a lot to do with that. i'll probably do Classic next just cuz its my favorite, but OST was a good start, i think

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Wow that's a lot of drama and bullshit for online pokemon tournaments.

And here I thought the worst thing was someone having a Cherish ball Aegislash.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

so, uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUE1kCTMVWI
I hear y'all like dance videos starring pokemon characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHehUa15RY

Game Freak really missed the mark by this not being how you're introduced to Po Town.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for someone to do a Gladion dance video, he's really the best

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Palladium posted:

Anyway, is there a guaranteed way now to get a 5/6 IV Ditto besides chaining for a 4IV one and pray to the RNGgod?
It's not 100% guaranteed, but there's a much better method than this. For anyone wanting that perfect Ditto, here's what you do:

1. Make it a habit to go on GTS every little while.
2. When on GTS, search for a Ditto level 91-100. If you're on a Japanese DS, set it to only find from your own region, if you're on any other region, set to "other regions". Turn off legendaries.
3. After making the search, press Y and choose to only display the ones who want a Pokemon you want*.
4. Look for shiny, usually Japanese, level 100 Dittos, usually holding Destiny Knot, often in a Master Ball or Beast Ball.
5. Assuming they want something reasonable, trade ASAP. I got mine for a Dratini, and I saw others looking for things like Toxapex and Goomy.
6. Accept that most times you won't be quick enough and get used to seeing the "This Pokemon has already been traded." message.
7. If the trade goes go through, make sure to actually check the IVs to make sure you didn't get a troll one with 0 in everything (or even worse, 30 in everything).
8. When you finally get your perfect Ditto, tell yourself "Wow, this guy must have been really lucky to find this totally legit shiny 6IV Ditto, and he must have been pretty desperate for that Dratini!".

Your success rate can be enhanced by having a wide variety of sought-after mons readily available. Also, a tip for quick trading that I didn't realize until very recently: When looking for a Pokemon you know you have but can't remember which box it is in, pressing the "display all boxes" button on the bottom will highlight the box that has an eligible Pokemon. Good luck!

*: You might think "but what if they want something I can really easily get?", but the reality is that these Dittos disappear way too quick for you to have time to get it.

EDIT: You can probably skip the region stuff if you want to cast a wider net, although in my experience they're mostly Japanese, and I prefer having a different-language one for Masuda method purposes.

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 30, 2016

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
smogon classic

this is my favorite tournament on the site by far, but also easily the least accessible. for any newer players, making playoffs for this tournament is likely a bridge too far and unless you are really talented at picking up new tiers, i would say it would take about 2-3 years of practice to get good enough to qualify for playoffs on classic.

Classic awards a lovely white trophy:

smogon classic came about because people had been hankering for more old generations (at the time, anything gen 3 or before) for a while. as well, with the idea of DPP leaving the Smogon Tour circuit (ST is always the most 3 recent OUs) people were getting worried. DPP metagame btw is a MASSIVE favorite among tournament players, more of the "all time greats" came from the DPP era than any other.

the layout of the tournament is as follows:

1 Cup for Each Gen 1-5 (aka RBY Cup, GSC Cup, ADV Cup, etc.)
you receive 1 point for winning a round in any cup until round 4. wins from round 4 onward are worth 2 points.
the top 12 players on the points chart at the end of all the Cups enter into a playoff where they are seeded and matched vs one another
the higher seed chooses the starting tier, the loser chooses the next
best of 5 in all 5 old gens, winner moves on

the qualification is, in my estimation, definitively the hardest on smogon. the real difference is that the old generations have "tier specialists" that will be straight aces at that tier in particular, but won't play anything else. there are some AMAZING GSC players that know drat well they can't qualify for the finals, so will see GSC cup as their big tournament for the year. a player i mentioned in my previous post, Earthworm, had a run a bit like this in Smogon Classic II - he literally only entered RBY and GSC Cup and was 2 wins out from making playoffs.

in particular, gen 3 and gen 4 are seen as the "height" of competitive mons (this is kind of a wonky viewing of it, but eh). the reason for this is that these metagames are considered the most "balanced" - you have fewer losses immediately at matchup as well as fewer absurd incidents of RNG (like in RBY). as a result ADV Cup and DPP Cup are two really high points for the competitive scene.

i am a bit of a newer player compared to most that made playoffs of classic, but i snuck in to Smogon Classic II playoffs as the winner of a tiebreaker for the last slot. i got like 90% of my qualifying points in RBY Cup (for whatever reason i love RBY and am quite good at it (i think cuz im good at math and it's really just probabilities over and over)) and ADV Cup, ADV being my favorite gen by a long shot. i was considered a pretty big dark horse in ADV cup without having had previous experience with the tier, but i got lucky in that i was tutored by a friend named BKC, a player who had done a lot in that generation of the past few years. unfortunately, i faced another one of his tutees, a guy named Undisputed (who was considered one of the top ADV players at this time) and lost 2-0 in the finals :(

the playoffs for Classic are the most exciting thing in mons for me. it's incredibly neat to see patterns in teambuilding spread across generations. to some extent, all Classic playoff contenders will indeed have people help them in teambuilding for playoffs - its REALLY hard to be good enough to build a solid team in that many generations. for me, i could only handle my own RBY and ADV teams and RBY teams are all the same anyway lol. so i had guys like TDK and PDC, both big names in their own gens and in current gen OU, help me teambuild for BW and DPP respectively. i just stole a GSC team off some italian guy lol.

so as i said before i had to get in through a tiebreaker. unfortunately, i wasn't tied with just one person, but two. i'll give a general rundown on each of us:

teal (me) - kind of a "rising star" at the time, in the past year i had gotten UU Open finals (UU knockout tournament), got semifinals of Grand Slam (one of the major smogon tours) went 8-1 in SPL (tournament of best vs the best, drafted teams, etc) and got ADV Cup finals (as i said biggest ADV tournament)

hellpowna - italian player who was outside the spooky ghosting ring, known for running extremely gimmick/anti-meta stuff in DPP, considered one of the top DPP players of the day. hadn't done a huge amount in tournaments but was always in the running

mael - very well known old gen player, consistent SPL presence, had qualified many times for tournaments but hadn't taken home the prize ever

this was the most absurd series of my life and almost ruined my enjoyment of the game because it was so long lol. i had to sit at the computer for several hours to get these games done, and because it was a 3 way tiebreaker, if we went 1-1-1 (spoilers we did) we had to redo the series. i'll link the replays, this is a fun story for me so sorry for focusing a lot on myself in this overview:

mael vs hellpowna (round 1) - GSC , RBY , DPP , BW

teal6 vs mael (round 1) - ADV , RBY , GSC , DPP , BW
if you watch any of these replays, please watch the BW game from this series vs mael. with him already having beaten hellpowna, if i lose this match he goes to playoffs and my months of work are down the drain. he has a great matchup vs me, and exploits it well in the early game, but i played probably the best game of my life to come back from that point. im particularly proud of turn 39 that game which was probably the best single turn of a pokemon game i've ever played

hellpowna vs teal (round 1) - RBY , ADV , DPP , GSC , BW

so as you can see we went 1-1-1, thankfully for my sanity i clean swept the next two series 3-0 each. i'll link those too if anyone wants them, i mainly did the first round because its a great example of how grueling Classic matchups can be, how much you need to know and prepare for all to have a shot. also they are good examples of high level comp. play if anyone is wondering what top singles looks like, even if i'd call those matchups kinda "tier 2" in terms of name power.

so earlier i had said that everyone gets help in building their teams for classic playoffs. this held true even for me in this tiebreaker. i was pretty nervous going into the matches, even though i had a pretty solid roster of teambuilders:
RBY - myself
GSC - stolen from a good italian player
ADV - myself
DPP - built by PDC, one of the best current DPPers
BW - built by TDK, one of the best current BWers (BW Cup finalist)

so about 15 minutes before my match, i saw that a guy called Ojama was logged on to the tournaments lobby. Ojama is actually the first classic winner, and probably my 2nd favorite player to watch. he is ludicrously good at nearly every single metagame, and while i pride myself at ADV, he's a class ahead of me in this meta. in fact, he's better at 4/5 Classic metas than i am, i think i edge out RBY though. i hadn't ever talked to this guy before, but i was feeling a lot of nerves, so i PMd him and asked if he could change any of my teams. the guy made about 5 changes, and all 5 of those changes were pivotal in the wins i got. i respect him a lot and we became decent friends from there, cool french guy!

so i can talk a little more about Ojamas Classic victory, which is probably the most impressive tournament win of all time. the playoffs in Classic II (my year) were very very good - the playoffs in Classic I were the most unbelievable grouping of players i've ever seen in a tournament.

Classic I playoffs:

tiebreaker
BKC vs pokebasket vs papai noel

BKC is in the top 10 of all time, has made 3 smogon tour playoff finals, won one and is playing his 3rd on december 3rd. utterly top class in ADV, DPP and BW, my mentor in ADV, probably one of the top 5 or so americans in RBY, and passable in GSC

pokebasket is a super consistent spanish player, high level in DPP, very consistent in all other gens

papai noel is a questionable brazilian player (ghost rumors..) but is quite good at nearly all gens. i wouldn't call him terribly elite but he's certainly no slouch, maybe a 7/10 player to BKCs 10/10

well shockingly papai noel wins the playoffs, so lets see the r1 matchups

5. Texas Cloverleaf vs 12. papai noel
6. PDC vs 11. Kevin Garrett
7. McMeghan vs 10. Prankster. [DQ'd]
8. M Dragon vs 9. ZoroDark

texas cloverleaf - probably the worst player in this grouping, still a major old gen force. great at BW, high level in RBY, solid in DPP GSC and ADV.
papai noel - covered before
PDC - utterly top class in DPP, ultra consistent in everything else. holds 2nd place in all time Smogon Tour points, one of the most consistently present players in major playoffs, but has yet to take home the trophy (has won World Cup before)
Kevin Garret - former tournament director, former Smogon Tour winner, amazing at gen 3-5, decent at 1-2
McMeghan - actually lost this round but prankster was caught ghosting in their RBY game by a guy named Marcoasd who is the #1 RBY player for the past few years. McMeghan is widely considered the best player of all time. Former Smogon Tour winner, has made 2 other Smogon Tour finals, has won more tournaments than any other pokemon player on record
Prankster - very very solid Italian player, unfort got hit with the ghosting hammer. still very good, too bad he sured up his RBY weakness by cheating -_-
M Dragon - alongside BKC, McM and Bloo as one of the best. for the record he's at the bottom of elite status in RBY, is debatebly 1/2/3 in GSC (alongside earthworm and conflict), is top 5 in ADV, bottom of elite status in DPP, and is definitively elite in BW. ludicrously good player, has a tendency to force ultra long games where he waits for his opponent to choke.
ZoroDark - younger player who has done extremely well getting his name into a lot of playoffs, similar to me. has started qualifying for a ton of tours but has yet to take home to trophy, one to keep an eye on for the next few years.

r2 matchups, where the top 4 seeds enter the fray:

1. babidi1998 vs 8. M Dragon [BW, ADV, RBY, DPP, GSC]
2. reyscarface vs ]7. McMeghan
3. Ojama vs 11. Kevin Garrett
4. Malekith vs 12. papai noel

babidi1998 - more commonly known as heist (he changed his name to the most absurd thing he could think of), this guy is THE also-ran. i can't count the number of tournament finals he has made and loss. heist is the guy that is on the tip of everyones tongues in the "best of all time" debates but because of his lack of the pixels he gets left out often.
reyscarface - former Smogon Frontier (considered one of the hardest trophies) winner. very very good RBY, passable GSC ADV DPP, very very good BW
Ojama - the kingpin himself. if this guy applies himself, he wins. before winning this classic, he won Smogon Tour as well. strong but not elite in RBY, similar in GSC, one of the best 2-3 players in ADV, one of the best 2-3 players in DPP, one fo the best 2-3 players in BW
Malekith - spanish player who similarly has made a good amount of playoffs but has faield to take it home. strong in gens 4-5, passable in the others.

1. babidi1998 vs 12. papai noel [ADV, DPP, RBY, BW, GSC]
3. Ojama vs 7. McMeghan [BW, DPP, GSC, ADV, RBY]

leaving the games in to show how much a slog these ones were. heist managed to squeak out a win and show he was the dominant player, while ojama vs mcm was the highlight match of the decade. mcm considered the best, ojama always right there (esp after bloo died), these two french players were both very good friends and very intense rivals. ojama picked up the win but just barely, getting some absurd luck in the ADV match.

1. babidi1998 vs 3. Ojama [BW, DPP, GSC, RBY]

another top level series in the finals, Ojama taking it home (feel bad for heist lol another lost finals). the amount of great players to get through really emphasizes superiority when you are the one to win it, this is probably THE trophy win of Smogon history at the moment. its simply absurdly impressive to come out of a qualifying phase that hard and a playoff group that amazing.

Classic II was a very good group as well, not the same heights but definitely a harder than average class. The winner was a player named ShakeItUp/-Tsunami-, who was one of the "always-there" of the tournament scene. Shake played a guy named Tesung in the finals in a really amazing series. Tesung, for the record, is one of my favorite players - the guys a complete enigma, he puts in Waaaay less effort than most and brings meme teams nonstop and still just wins. i narrated the shake vs tesung series and tried to stay impartial but was kinda cheering for shake the entire time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKpXxMnX70&t=1963s

this was mainly because Tesung is the most "savant" players ive ever seen - at this point he had already won two Smogon Tours (winning 1 is enough to be talked about as an all time great) and to boot one win was vs McMeghan. if Tesung won this game, he'd be the first player ever with three individual trophies (theres like 5-6 with 2? i'd have to think about it a bit) but i wanted Shake to finally take it home

all in all i love that classic weeds out a lot of the drama because only really strong players can typically make the finals (its too hard to assemble a proper ghosting team for these series). the tour is so long and brutal that even making playoffs is seen as a huge achievement, wish i couldve taken it home though tbh.

as a general note, the following are kinda the way the community sees player tiers (i'll use smogon notation to make it easier, this isn't codified or anything):

S - multiple trophy winners or single trophy winners with a lot of playoffs experience and amazing performances
example: McMeghan, Bloo, BKC, Tesung, Ojama, Earthworm, Ciele

A - single trophy winners or people with a lot of playoff appearances
Heist, Soulwind, reyscarface, Alexander, Veteran in Love, Golden Sun, Kevin Garret

B - "contenders" these are the people you expect to win a trophy, are always in the running, but haven't quite made it
myself, PDC, ABR, Omfuga

C and below are mostly the guys who have always been trying, but haven't quite had much of a break getting into playoffs or anything just yet

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Liking the writeups tbp I've always had a fascination with oddball online community stuff.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Why is everyone obsessed with catching pokemon in beast balls?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TescoBag posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with catching pokemon in beast balls?

Because it's difficult.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a guy get 999 points in Type Matchup. I knew this game was already being hacked, but drat lol

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

Just had a guy get 999 points in Type Matchup. I knew this game was already being hacked, but drat lol

VIP that guy

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Give it up to these motherfuckers right here. They are some champions. Names from left to right: Faust, Wave Racer, Mr. Beef, Hungry Jack, Dirty Boi, and Dave Racer. drat murder-horse is so loving strong though. It pretty much carried me through half the Elite Four. Props to Kukui having Incineroar though. I liked that touch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What's the scoop on catching HA pokes? If I want, say, a HA Vulpix I assume I just need to find and distress a Vulpix and have something with Skill Swap kill its friends until one with Snow Warning shows up?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm now at 12-0 finding Miltank instead of Tauros, despite them having the same encounter rate.

I'm super salty.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What's the scoop on catching HA pokes? If I want, say, a HA Vulpix I assume I just need to find and distress a Vulpix and have something with Skill Swap kill its friends until one with Snow Warning shows up?

Yeah, just reduce it to low hp, use an adrenaline orb, then KO all it's summons until one with snow warning appears. Thankfully, snow warning activates once the Vulpix with it arrives. Other HA's that don't announce themselves will require stuff like skill swap, entrainment, or worry seed to know if the latest one has their HA. Have fun trying to get a Marvel scale Dratini or a Regenerator Mareanie.

Specto fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 30, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Specto posted:

Yeah, just reduce it to low hp, use an adrenaline orb, then KO all it's summons until one with snow warning appears. Thankfully, snow warning activates once the Vulpix with it arrives. Other HA's that don't announce themselves will require stuff like skill swap, entrainment, or worry seed to know if the latest one has their HA. Have fun trying to get a Marvel scale Dratini or a Regenerator Maranie.

Cool cool. Will Snow Warning activate even if you're outside and there's environmental hail?

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cool cool. Will Snow Warning activate even if you're outside and there's environmental hail?

I dunno, I chained mine when the weather was clear. I think there's a different table for SOS battles during natural weather, so you may have to wait until the hail clears or something.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
What's the best way to level up before the elite four? The team I've taken through the game cannot beat the champion so I need some replacements.
I could probably do it if I handicapped myself by turning off set mode and used all my money on revives to brute force it. But that feels like admitting defeat, and I'd rather buy clothes. :sparkles:

For the curious: I've used Incineroar, Bruxish, Mimikyu, Salazzle, Minior and Vikavolt.
I'm thinking about replacing Minior, Bruxish and Salazzle with Golisopod, Pyukumuku and Kommo-o. (I really hope pukey will work as funnily as I'm thinking, like a toxic landmine)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I didn't get much out of my Kommo-o unfortunately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I killed like half his team with Toxapex and, admittedly, a handful of healing items.

E: Can I switch horses mid-race when SOS chaining? These foxes are struggling themselves to death before any Snow Warning ones show up.

E2: Oh cool! Time to murder some more adorable foxes, then!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 30, 2016

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I killed like half his team with Toxapex and, admittedly, a handful of healing items.

E: Can I switch horses mid-race when SOS chaining? These foxes are struggling themselves to death before any Snow Warning ones show up.

Yes you can. You may need to use another Adrenaline Orb, but that's it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

endolithic posted:

I don't think you do - it won't let you use another successfully, in any case.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

endolithic posted:

You can only use one Adrenaline Orb per battle, but it works on all Pokémon who shows up.

Also a neat thing about Adrenaline Orbs; since you can only use one per battle, if you try to use another one it'll just say that you can't and skip your turn. You don't consume the item and it's the easiest way to skip a turn if the Pokémon you're chaining doesn't want to call for help :eng101:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Oh, my bad. I never actually tried it, pokemon just always kept calling for help. :downs:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Dizz posted:

I didn't get much out of my Kommo-o unfortunately.

I got walled hard by the snorlax. I'd put in Salazzle and use toxic, but I'd only get one use out of it because he oneshot her. Then he'd use a full restore and I had no one who could take it out before getting wiped.
I've taught Mimikyu embargo to stop that fat bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Stupid Alolans don't even know what goosebumps are, keep calling it chicken skin. smdh